Newbie 2104 | Wikipedia Articles | Game Over!

catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #250 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:55 am

Post by catboi »

In post 239, faüstiv wrote:
In post 226, catboi wrote:
In post 217, faüstiv wrote:You could be, I'm just highlighting something that pinged me. Sure, it's not 'strong evidence' and not a line that's directly indicative to a particular alignment, but it's something that caught my eye and so I felt I should question it. You claiming it to be 'tunnelling' seems like a bit of an overreaction to me.
In post 217, faüstiv wrote:No, I was specifically highlighting the 'it's only RVS' line in that. I never suggested that players shouldn't move to other wagons, I was merely highlighting the fact that scum will put something in a vote like the 'it's only RVS' line so that they can jump onto other wagons without much heat coming to their slot because they can use that 'it was only RVS' as a defense. Again, not directly alignment indicative, but it's something I've see scum do often. That second line is again, a bit of an overreaction to what I've said whilst also misrepresenting what I've said. Part of your case on Fennec is his overreaction to being scrutinized, yet you now seem to be doing it.
is it an overreaction when you're set on reading sinister intent into literally everything I say? I feel like you're being very unreasonable here. You're not even meaningfully addressing what I'm saying.

Why is it a bad thing to move a vote off from someone after RVS? Why is that scummy? Don't dodge, answer me clearly.
In post 227, catboi wrote:like I was thinking you were sincere but misguided but this current argument suggesting saying "it's only RVS" about a page 1 vote is really bullshit and you've played here before, you should know how early game voting works, trying to attack me for that is nonsense
I think you are misunderstanding what I'm trying to say.

You making the RVS vote post pinged me and I wanted to explore it. My point isn't exclusive to RVS; scum could place an FOS/vote on a player for example like the below:
I think catboi is scum. He's overreating a lot and I find that scummy,
but I could be wrong.
I think catboi is scum. He's overreating a lot and I find that scummy,
but I guess town could do it too.
Your "it's only RVS" is in similar vein to the examples listed above. It pinged me and I wanted to question it. I'm not saying RVS is scummy or moving out of RVS is scummy, I'm just making the point that scum can say something as an excuse to 'back out' of a vote, which I've seen scum do numerous times. In your case, it was the "RVS" which I picked up.
No, I'm not misunderstanding.

you're saying it's scummy I wasn't fully committed to a
vote I made on page 1
. I have fully admitted I wasn't attached to the vote. I think it makes perfect sense for me to not be attached to the vote. You keep dodging actually acknowledging this. You can't possibly explain why that makes me scum. Why should I over-represent my attachment to a fairly meaningless vote? Why is me leaving the possibility of changing when I don't have a solid case scummy? Is everyone who makes a vote they aren't committed to on early Day 1 scum? Plenty of people do this. It's not a scumtell.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #251 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:11 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 246, kkirigiri wrote:
In post 243, thewingfan wrote:
VOTE: Maestro

I don't like how quick he was to jump on Sterling for what looked to me to be newbie confusion. I could very well be projecting my own confusion on to Sterling but this forum system doesn't make any sense-yet
I think Sterling's continuation from when he was first voted by Maestro is more telling than Maestro's scumslip theory.
Yeah the time to vote me for "jumping on newbie confusion" as some kind of punishment is long past, the scumslip was a fun theory/idea but his behavior since has been n o t h i n g but platitudes and reactionary "suspicion" on me for jumping at him when he couldn't handle it, screams either incompetent (sorry, just trying to communicate effectively not trying to be rude) newbScum or reactionary newbTown, it's just an opinion different to me from there on out which you go with

Edit By Way Of Post/EBWOP (we usually post this, for example, when I'm typing then I hit preview and I see kiri's #248): yeah, full disclosure, this is definitely a Thing I have done before, I think, in a game, hardbus a partner out of the gate... I don't think I've ever done it in a newbie game and probably not to a newbie I don't think? But see, it's not unheard of that I could be partners with somebody and do this... but I'm not

EBWOP: more stuff aaaaah
kkirigiri
kkirigiri
any
Goon
kkirigiri
any
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: any

Post Post #252 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:16 am

Post by kkirigiri »

In post 251, Maestro wrote: Edit By Way Of Post/EBWOP (we usually post this, for example, when I'm typing then I hit preview and I see kiri's #248): yeah, full disclosure, this is definitely a Thing I have done before, I think, in a game, hardbus a partner out of the gate... I don't think I've ever done it in a newbie game and probably not to a newbie I don't think? But see, it's not unheard of that I could be partners with somebody and do this... but I'm not
I mean there's bussing and then there's bussing in a setup that gives town
two
reprieves for voting incorrectly, with added possibilities to be put into autoloss via the town's PRs, and after I'd initially theorised that his opening could be a townslip...
Unless you were playing purely with a view to prove that you could win that way, I can't fathom why a reasonable player would consider it sound strategy.
kkirigiri
kkirigiri
any
Goon
kkirigiri
any
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: any

Post Post #253 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:19 am

Post by kkirigiri »

Anyway, I'll leave it there from me for now, except to ask you Maestro, given you think Sterling is probably here, who do you think his partner is most likely to be? What would you be doing if you were his partner in this situation?
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #254 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:23 am

Post by Maestro »

:lol: fair, but that's a slippery slope; it could be playing to wincon if it works in the end lmao

EBWOP: uh, that last bit's a very odd question and no I will not give free coaching against wincon...

but I am definitely reading for a partner now, no worries about that (and no concrete thoughts yet except as already stated I don't think Catboi and Sterling are partnered)
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #255 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:27 am

Post by Maestro »

I feel like one of the one's taking a backseat right now could easily be partner to ScumSterling and just quietly let us fight it out over him all Day, without strongly defending or opposing the elim
thewingfan
thewingfan
he
Townie
thewingfan
he
Townie
Townie
Pronoun: he

Post Post #256 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:33 am

Post by thewingfan »

I don't like how quick he was to jump on Sterling for what looked to me to be newbie confusion. I could very well be projecting my own confusion on to Sterling but this forum system doesn't make any sense-yet
I think Sterling's continuation from when he was first voted by Maestro is more telling than Maestro's scumslip theory.
I haven't cleared ANYONE as 100% town. At home site it takes me 3 game days (72 hours) for me to get an idea on who's bad and who's town. Also remember this is with a core group of folks I know relatively well so.....might take me longer.

What I did read Sterling as was a confused newbie to this site that asked an unfortunate question in the forum instead of PMing the Mod.

He could well be bad, but its not something I would think to hang him over.

Right now I'm just trying to poke a hornets nest to see what comes out. Which is is my preferred tool when I have no idea what the heck to do.

As for others outside of wanting to hang people for making me figure out mathematical equations I've got nada.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #257 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:38 am

Post by Maestro »

Why do you have nada? Why does it take you 3 days to get an idea who's good/bad...?

Do we have 1 player who's used to Days that take weeks and 1 player that's used to whole games taking A week? This is going to be an interesting game...
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #258 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:39 am

Post by Maestro »

Also, Game Days are weeks not 24 hours long, so that statement in your last post would be 3 RL days, not Game Days, right?
thewingfan
thewingfan
he
Townie
thewingfan
he
Townie
Townie

Post Post #259 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:45 am

Post by thewingfan »

In post 251, Maestro wrote:Yeah the time to vote me for "jumping on newbie confusion" as some kind of punishment is long past
If you're talking about my vote. Keep in mind please that I JUST GOT HERE. I don't mean it to be a punishment. It was the one thing from my skimming of eight pages of discussion that stuck out. No one has to agree, and I am likely to move as we go along.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #260 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:47 am

Post by catboi »

sterling's vote on fennec is definitely not great

I don't like how ceejay popped in immediately after I mentioned him and then did basically nothing. Like, has he been reading this whole time and just avoiding saying anything?

starting to get more and more annoyed with faustiv repeating the same terrible argument ad nauseam

wingfan feels kind of clueless townie on gut but that's not a read I would bet the game on or anything
Sterling the steampunk
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Townie

Post Post #261 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:25 am

Post by Sterling the steampunk »

In post 257, Maestro wrote:Why do you have nada? Why does it take you 3 days to get an idea who's good/bad...?

Do we have 1 player who's used to Days that take weeks and 1 player that's used to whole games taking A week? This is going to be an interesting game...
don't forget a player used to a game taking only half an hour to play

Also I reasoning for group guesses being better than induvial guesses is that in a group of 100 people nobody could get close to the number of jelly beans in a jar, but when they averaged the guesses they got pretty dam close, and the reason I didn't defend my Maestro vote even thou I feel stronger about him over fennec is because I just don't feel strong enough about him and nobody was convinced anyways
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #262 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:28 am

Post by Maestro »

this argument about jelly beans and averages doesn't make sense in this game though, where the whole point is Town is incentivized to argue to convince, to hunt, to investigate and Scum is somewhat incentivized to follow, blend-in, strategize, etc. . . you are just sitting around doing the latter not the former
Sterling the steampunk
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Townie

Post Post #263 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:32 am

Post by Sterling the steampunk »

being used to rolemadness as the wiki puts it does that to a player, what can I say
faüstiv
faüstiv
Goon
faüstiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #264 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:34 am

Post by faüstiv »

In post 251, Maestro wrote:

Yeah the time to vote me for "jumping on newbie confusion" as some kind of punishment is long past, the scumslip was a fun theory/idea but his behavior since has been n o t h i n g but platitudes and reactionary "suspicion" on me for jumping at him when he couldn't handle it, screams either incompetent (sorry, just trying to communicate effectively not trying to be rude) newbScum or reactionary newbTown, it's just an opinion different to me from there on out which you go with

Edit By Way Of Post/EBWOP (we usually post this, for example, when I'm typing then I hit preview and I see kiri's #248): yeah, full disclosure, this is definitely a Thing I have done before, I think, in a game, hardbus a partner out of the gate... I don't think I've ever done it in a newbie game and probably not to a newbie I don't think? But see, it's not unheard of that I could be partners with somebody and do this... but I'm not

EBWOP: more stuff aaaaah
so is he new scum or new town because you have been tunnelling him all game with the 'slip' being the basis of your argument.

Steampunk's reactions don't give me town or scum vibes and I dislike your continuous push on the slot.
faüstiv
faüstiv
Goon
faüstiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #265 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:39 am

Post by faüstiv »

feel like sterling, fennec and thewingfan always flip town this game
faüstiv
faüstiv
Goon
faüstiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #266 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:43 am

Post by faüstiv »

fairly sure kkrigi is town based on his thought process and I can understand where he's coming from. Plus I think I can read kk farily well and I'm fairly sure he's not scum this game.

The 2 scum are in thryinth/maestro/catboi/ceejay IMHO
faüstiv
faüstiv
Goon
faüstiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #267 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:53 am

Post by faüstiv »

VOTE: Thryinth

catboi, your defense is egregious and I don't have the energy anymore to argue about one argument in my case on on why you could be scum but whatever. Fairly sure this is scum.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #268 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:55 am

Post by catboi »

VOTE: faustiv
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #269 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:55 am

Post by catboi »

Nah what I think happened is when I called out the shoddiness of your argument you realized you couldn't back it up
faüstiv
faüstiv
Goon
faüstiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #270 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:57 am

Post by faüstiv »

In post 269, catboi wrote:Nah what I think happened is when I called out the shoddiness of your argument you realized you couldn't back it up
I've explained numerous times but you just choose to ignore it for whatever reason. You ask me to provide reasoning on my points, I do, then you claim I'm tunnelling you.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #271 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:01 am

Post by catboi »

No you literally are dodging my questions because you can't justify your arguments- I'm not ignoring anything, you just can't back up your terrible case that you obviously don't actually believe. It shouldn't be hard to actually explain why you think me not committing to a vote
from Page 1
is scummy, or at least admit you were wrong, but you continue to be evasive
faüstiv
faüstiv
Goon
faüstiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #272 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:07 am

Post by faüstiv »

I have explained it and my point is that I've seen scum put that line in there to give themselves an out and I've caught scum many a time because I've seen them do similar. In isolation, it's not scummy. It deserves to be prodded but it's not something I'm going to keep my vote on for. I kept my vote on you because you dealt with my pressure awfully.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #273 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:16 am

Post by catboi »

There's someone here dealing with pressure awfully and it's not me
thewingfan
thewingfan
he
Townie
thewingfan
he
Townie
Townie

Post Post #274 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:20 am

Post by thewingfan »

In post 257, Maestro wrote:Why do you have nada? Why does it take you 3 days to get an idea who's good/bad...?

To answer both your questions. Yes I am used to 1 day being like 8 hours, followed by an 8 hour night. So I think a fair comparison to hear would be 3 IRL days. And yes I know games been going on and yada yada I read all the historical stuff. I can read stuff that happened all I want its not the same as me being here and interacting with folks.

As bad as analogy as it is I need the tactile stimulation of interacting with everyone-if that makes sense.

Also this game feels both slower than and faster than what I'm used to at the same time.

Time moves quicker yes, but its a rush to judgment here or that's what it felt like reading the 8 pages of the thread that I came into here. Now granted I'm more used to a game where there are 20-30ish players and a lot of convoluted mechanics that we may or may not be told about depending on the game.

Return to “Completed Newbie Games”