Newbie 2104 | Wikipedia Articles | Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Dannflor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #475 (ISO) » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:56 pm

Post by Dannflor »

Sterling the steampunk was a...

Spoiler: flip
Mafia GoonWelcome to the game, Sterling the steampunk!

You are a
Mafia Goon

You and your partner, REDACTED, share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional Private Thread (PT), located REDACTED, where you may talk at any time.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment or by posting in your PT.

Night 1 begins now and ends in (expired on 2022-11-02 01:56:56)
Dannflor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #476 (ISO) » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:59 pm

Post by Dannflor »

Wayward Son replaces Fennec!
Dannflor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #477 (ISO) » Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:59 am

Post by Dannflor »

Thynhith was found dead in the night. They were...

Spoiler: flip
Town JailkeeperWelcome to the game, Thynhith!

You are a
Town Jailkeeper

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills and be prevented from using their own action, if they have one, during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

You win when there are no longer any threats to town.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment.
Last edited by Dannflor on Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dannflor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #478 (ISO) » Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:59 am

Post by Dannflor »

VC 2.START

"Corinna or Korinna (Ancient Greek: Κόριννα, romanized: Korinna) was an ancient Greek lyric poet from Tanagra in Boeotia. Although ancient sources portray her as a contemporary of Pindar (born c. 518 BC), not all modern scholars accept the accuracy of this tradition. When she lived has been the subject of much debate since the early twentieth century, proposed dates ranging from the beginning of the fifth century to the late third century BC.

Corinna's works survive only in fragments: three substantial sections of poems are preserved on second-century AD papyri from Egypt; several shorter pieces survive in quotations by ancient grammarians. They focus on local Boeotian legends, and are distinctive for their mythological innovations. Corinna's poetry often reworks well-known myths to include details not known from any other sources. Though respected in her hometown, Tanagra, and popular in ancient Rome, modern critics generally regard her as provincial and dull; her poetry is nonetheless of interest as she is one of the few female poets from ancient Greece whose work survives."

votes
[7] Not Voting
:
Wayward Son, thewingfan, faüstiv, kkirigiri, ceejayvinoya, Maestro, catboi

With 7 alive, it takes 4 to eliminate

The Day 2 deadline is in
: (expired on 2022-11-09 10:59:43)

Mod Notes
: have fun!
kkirigiri
kkirigiri
any
Goon
kkirigiri
any
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: any

Post Post #479 (ISO) » Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:02 am

Post by kkirigiri »

This is the second maf.

VOTE: faüstiv
faüstiv
faüstiv
Goon
faüstiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #480 (ISO) » Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:41 am

Post by faüstiv »

shit we lost our jailkeeper
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #481 (ISO) » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:09 am

Post by Maestro »

If you are Town Tracker or Town Friendly Neighbor you should probably claim now, honestly we can probably massclaim popcorn-style* so we can have any potential CCs locked in and out in the open to solve this game. We're in Row 2 of the setup, if some peeps haven't noticed, so us doing the claims as a Town is helpful for figuring out whether we just have 1 Goon to worry about or whether there is another Mafia PR who could mess up Night action(s). Everybody should be looking over what happened with the relatively quick Sterling hammer yesterday and who was trying to lead us away from that kill over the course of the Day. Ceejay is not automatically cleared; it should go without saying but SEs have the sense to make a quick hammer play to shut up an unhelpful or obviously-doomed teammate.

I'm a VT, and I would popcorn to Faust bc the whiteknight of Sterling yesterday looks as bad as I said it did. We're almost certainly getting rid of you today, bud. Sorry.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #482 (ISO) » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:11 am

Post by Maestro »

EBWOP *Popcorn-style massclaim is somebody starts, which I have done already, and then points to the next person who will claim, in this case Faust -
NOBODY ELSE should claim before Faust does
- what this does is it will lock each person in turn into their claim, and we can CC as we go (e.g. even if somebody claims your role, do not CC right away except vaguely, or say "I'm CCing an existing claim" and maybe somebody will popcorn to you), but this way we go in order from roughly the most-scumread to the most-townread player, and again it "locks" people into claims before everybody has claimed, giving Scum less information to lie with.

So let's hear it Faust.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #483 (ISO) » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:11 am

Post by Maestro »

EBWODP CC = counterclaim, in case ppl didn't know that
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #484 (ISO) » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:13 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 480, faüstiv wrote:shit we lost our jailkeeper
also bad opening post lmaooo

I think I saw an old discussion thread somewhere that said posts like this are something like 70/30% from a Scum perspective rather than Town, this just isn't what most of us would focus on or care about or say after the Day/Night phase we've had... like we've got this basically won, and you're worried about your nice kill from the Night before... ok bud
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #485 (ISO) » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:15 am

Post by Maestro »

Also I'm watching these claims for a specific potential fuck-up from Scum, so please just claim normally and popcorn to the next person if you don't know what I'm talking about and let's solve this out
Wayward Son
Wayward Son
He Him
Goon
Wayward Son
He Him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He Him

Post Post #486 (ISO) » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:33 am

Post by Wayward Son »

What should we do if someone popcorned to doesn't post for a long while? I like the idea of popcorning, but I feel I need to wait my turn to claim and give opinions.
faüstiv
faüstiv
Goon
faüstiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #487 (ISO) » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:37 am

Post by faüstiv »

In post 484, Maestro wrote:
In post 480, faüstiv wrote:shit we lost our jailkeeper
also bad opening post lmaooo

I think I saw an old discussion thread somewhere that said posts like this are something like 70/30% from a Scum perspective rather than Town, this just isn't what most of us would focus on or care about or say after the Day/Night phase we've had... like we've got this basically won, and you're worried about your nice kill from the Night before... ok bud
why would scum be annoyed over a PR death?
faüstiv
faüstiv
Goon
faüstiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #488 (ISO) » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:38 am

Post by faüstiv »

In post 481, Maestro wrote:If you are Town Tracker or Town Friendly Neighbor you should probably claim now, honestly we can probably massclaim popcorn-style* so we can have any potential CCs locked in and out in the open to solve this game. We're in Row 2 of the setup, if some peeps haven't noticed, so us doing the claims as a Town is helpful for figuring out whether we just have 1 Goon to worry about or whether there is another Mafia PR who could mess up Night action(s). Everybody should be looking over what happened with the relatively quick Sterling hammer yesterday and who was trying to lead us away from that kill over the course of the Day. Ceejay is not automatically cleared; it should go without saying but SEs have the sense to make a quick hammer play to shut up an unhelpful or obviously-doomed teammate.

I'm a VT, and I would popcorn to Faust bc the whiteknight of Sterling yesterday looks as bad as I said it did. We're almost certainly getting rid of you today, bud. Sorry.
No, we shouldn't do this. Nobody needs to claim.
kkirigiri
kkirigiri
any
Goon
kkirigiri
any
Goon
Goon

Post Post #489 (ISO) » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:39 am

Post by kkirigiri »

I don't really understand how mass-claiming here helps the town.
We're eliminating faust in this phase, no two ways about it. If anyone still needs convincing then I can think of three separate reasons why he makes overwhelmingly the most sense as Sterling's scum partner, and will elaborate on them if asked.
And if on the off-chance his play is him being town in some idiosyncratic way that I have not accounted for, letting the scum have a stab at the PRs with a chance of missing is beneficial to us in Day 3 scenarios (at that point claims
would
make more sense).
faüstiv
faüstiv
Goon
faüstiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #490 (ISO) » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:43 am

Post by faüstiv »

The way I see it, I don't want to focus too much on the kill, but an experienced scum made that kill because I did kinda suss he was a power role towards the end of the day (which is why I was a bit tunnelly, sorry bud). I don't think thewingfan makes that kill.

I don't think it's kkirigiri or Maestro.

Coule be catboi but tbh I'm not feeling it.

It's either Wayward Son or ceejay. At the moment, I'm tempted to believe that ceejay voted his doomed scumbuddy to gain towncred, but I'll reread D1 again to establish a more solid read.
thewingfan
thewingfan
he
Townie
thewingfan
he
Townie
Townie
Pronoun: he

Post Post #491 (ISO) » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:43 am

Post by thewingfan »

In post 481, Maestro wrote:If you are Town Tracker or Town Friendly Neighbor you should probably claim now, honestly we can probably massclaim popcorn-style* so we can have any potential CCs locked in and out in the open to solve this game. We're in Row 2 of the setup, if some peeps haven't noticed, so us doing the claims as a Town is helpful for figuring out whether we just have 1 Goon to worry about or whether there is another Mafia PR who could mess up Night action(s). Everybody should be looking over what happened with the relatively quick Sterling hammer yesterday and who was trying to lead us away from that kill over the course of the Day. Ceejay is not automatically cleared; it should go without saying but SEs have the sense to make a quick hammer play to shut up an unhelpful or obviously-doomed teammate.

Are mass role claims the preferred method here? If so I'm likely to not play on this site again. I personally detest them. It takes the fun out of the game for me.

I got hanged for standing on a table on this and refusing to do it at my home site on principle and I was town then.
faüstiv
faüstiv
Goon
faüstiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #492 (ISO) » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:44 am

Post by faüstiv »

In post 489, kkirigiri wrote:I don't really understand how mass-claiming here helps the town.
We're eliminating faust in this phase, no two ways about it. If anyone still needs convincing then I can think of three separate reasons why he makes overwhelmingly the most sense as Sterling's scum partner, and will elaborate on them if asked.
And if on the off-chance his play is him being town in some idiosyncratic way that I have not accounted for, letting the scum have a stab at the PRs with a chance of missing is beneficial to us in Day 3 scenarios (at that point claims
would
make more sense).
If you don't think my D1 was me trying to solve the game rather than me trying to blend in then I don't know what to say tbh.

Besides, the sterling vote was bad even though he flipped mafia. We should always vote outside of PR claims for potential autowin.
thewingfan
thewingfan
he
Townie
thewingfan
he
Townie
Townie

Post Post #493 (ISO) » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:45 am

Post by thewingfan »

In post 489, kkirigiri wrote:I don't really understand how mass-claiming here helps the town.
would
make more sense).
Yes please elaborate.
thewingfan
thewingfan
he
Townie
thewingfan
he
Townie
Townie

Post Post #494 (ISO) » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:47 am

Post by thewingfan »

In post 490, faüstiv wrote:It's either Wayward Son or ceejay. At the moment, I'm tempted to believe that ceejay voted his doomed scumbuddy to gain towncred, but I'll reread D1 again to establish a more solid read.
Given the timeframe of when Wayward Son joined the game, do you think they had time to formulate a plan or did they just pull a name from the hat and get lucky? Percentage play out of those two is ceejay.
faüstiv
faüstiv
Goon
faüstiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #495 (ISO) » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:47 am

Post by faüstiv »

In post 491, thewingfan wrote:

Are mass role claims the preferred method here? If so I'm likely to not play on this site again. I personally detest them. It takes the fun out of the game for me.

I got hanged for standing on a table on this and refusing to do it at my home site on principle and I was town then.
Mass claim only helps scum at this point. If we have a tracker with an alive inno report then they should crumb. We can get potential auto tomorrow if the tracker stays hidden, we lynch outside of his inno report and tracker stays alive with a second inno report (and that inno doesn't die).
faüstiv
faüstiv
Goon
faüstiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #496 (ISO) » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:49 am

Post by faüstiv »

In post 494, thewingfan wrote:
In post 490, faüstiv wrote:It's either Wayward Son or ceejay. At the moment, I'm tempted to believe that ceejay voted his doomed scumbuddy to gain towncred, but I'll reread D1 again to establish a more solid read.
Given the timeframe of when Wayward Son joined the game, do you think they had time to formulate a plan or did they just pull a name from the hat and get lucky? Percentage play out of those two is ceejay.
Wayward Son has had two days to decide who to kill and he may have already been following the game prior to joining. From what I gather, he's played a couple of games on this site so he could have PR read Thry.
kkirigiri
kkirigiri
any
Goon
kkirigiri
any
Goon
Goon

Post Post #497 (ISO) » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:55 am

Post by kkirigiri »

A miscellaneous thought:

It is possible that Thynhith's night power is relevant here: I had a scan over his posts in Day 1 and couldn't find anything compelling that concretely suggested who he'd have been jailing, but I don't think it would have made sense for him to have jailed catboi in this instance, and I doubt Maestro either. The mafia could have roleblock-killed Thyn (if that were their role) making his jail target irrelevant, but in that case, with a tracker report to come that could spell an immediate defeat, I feel like they'd most likely hedge their bets here and used their power on who they read as tracker.

Given he's the last person who he mentioned, possibly he obliquely hinted that he was jailing thewingfan? He did suggest earlier that he thought faust was 'town who he was unable to work with', rather than being scum, so maybe he held that thought going into the night phase...

Just thinking that if we knew, then we'd have an almost cast-iron clear here amongst the town.
kkirigiri
kkirigiri
any
Goon
kkirigiri
any
Goon
Goon

Post Post #498 (ISO) » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:19 am

Post by kkirigiri »

In post 493, thewingfan wrote:Yes please elaborate.
I believe the crucial thing to look at with faust is how he acted immediately after my vote on Sterling. Despite my earlier inclination that he leant likely town; this overrides those impressions for me.

The central idea is that he lets slip that he is thinking as scum.

Take a look at how quickly he posts his #443 after my vote; less than a quarter of an hour later, and quite early in the morning for him (just after 7 a.m. his time). He's obviously genuinely flustered by my response, and I suppose you might say that also makes sense if he were town who really did think that Sterling was town with him. However:
In post 452, faüstiv wrote:like i get that someone
could be softing a cc of the setup
(one which cop does not appear in) but still, sterling is uncc cop atm and so we should vote outside of him.
Here he shows that he has given thought to the idea that someone has soft-cced Sterling. To me, this was quite obviously Thynhith, given what he had posted and the context in which it was said. Now, instead of pursuing this thought or mentioning that he could even give me the benefit of the doubt for me voting who I think is a very poor claimant against a soft that he knows I had townread, he goes for a last-ditch attempt to get either one of me or Thyn eliminated.

Would faust be worried here as town? If he'd thought about it, not really, even if we had lost our cop town would be in a better situation with him gone if it gave us an as-good-as confirmed mafia. In a setup with four chances to hang two scum, a miselim for a PR is a good trade for town. Secondly, if he had seen the soft, why would he broadcast that fact to a mafia which might not be as up to speed with the game as he is, and therefore might miss out on seeing it? Town faust, in my opinion, keeps that observation to himself, even if he
does
trust Sterling's claim over Thyn's.

His following #459 and #460 seem like posts he'd only make if he were thinking from the frame of mind as mafia trying to seem like his continuing naturally; i.e. to try to consciously look like his views are consistent. Ironically, this was the cue to me that re-ignited my suspicion in him.
Again, if he were town he'd at least be considering my sharp change of tone was based on picking up on something that I'd rather not potentially share with mafia (he gives this very benefit of the doubt to catboi, who he never mentions), and not automatically assume I'm scum. He also knows me well enough, and my play-style to know I don't play scum-sided roles like that.

In conclusion, faust is by
far
the best candidate for elimination this phase, and in my opinion, no claims today are necessary. I'd genuinely be gobsmacked if this vote flips town.
ceejayvinoya
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #499 (ISO) » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:25 am

Post by ceejayvinoya »

Now look here. If I'm mafia, the least I could have done yesterday is wait for a cc or something, and THEN hammer Sterling.

I would have at least wanted some info in exchange for a doomed partner or something.

Sure this certainly doesn't auto clear me, that's fine, but I just want to say I'm no dumbass and would certainly try to play optimally whenever I can.
Ceejay is only gonna get better but his logic can be on the wrong side of lazy logic sometimes. ~the worst

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”