Newbie 2104 | Wikipedia Articles | Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
faüstiv
faüstiv
Goon
faüstiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #925 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:10 pm

Post by faüstiv »

when we getting pt's?
Sterling the steampunk
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Townie

Post Post #926 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:41 pm

Post by Sterling the steampunk »

yeah, I know what's in the pt's but I know other players needs to see
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #927 (ISO) » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:06 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 912, faüstiv wrote:first of all congrats to steampunk and catboi. both played relatively well and deserved the win.

secondly, i played like trash this game and i apologise for that. usually i'm a better player but i think rustiness+getting too emotionally involved in this game cost me, especially d2. also apologies if i rubbed anyone up the wrong way etc. i don't think i learned anything from this game but this game reminded me about certain elements of mafia that i'd forgotten, such as being too obstinate towards what were loose theories and attaching myself to said theories because they made sense in my head (which happened especially on d1).

thirdly, commiserations to town. no individual player played badly, but as a collective i think we all made errors and it's what led to catboi eventually soloing the game after steampunk was L'ed d1. i was a bit disappointed with the general activity d3 onwards, felt town were playing a bit lethargic and weren't really pressuring slots but as i say, we all made errors and significant errors were also made d1 and d2 so don't think i'm trying to absolve blame from myself by saying that.

fourthly, thanks for modding dannflor and datisi.

fifthly, would be open to playing with anyone in here again at some point.
For what it's worth I don't think you were awful - you had a correct read on me, and I think your process of elimination for settling on me was more or less solid in terms of your thinking. The issue was that your reasoning for casing me was shaky, and I did what most experienced scum players do, which is pick your logic and debate you endlessly and turn the argument into a slog. Most players will tune out that arguing after a while, and unfortunately you were getting tunneled by a lot of the thread for being wrong on Sterling on Day 1. You gave me a good fight though and it was about one of the only times in the game I was strongly motivated.

I think in a playerlist where more people are familiar with my meta I basically never get away with burying you that way.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #928 (ISO) » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:11 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 913, Wayward Son wrote:Good Game! I think I learned a thing or two. This is the second time I've been fooled by high posting scum. But that is what makes me want to try again (and again). I guess I might be an easy mark?? I'll keep working on getting it right.

Meat World threw me a lot of curve balls this game.

catboi's insistence on me giving him a reason to Town read him was my main (only) reason I doubted him. Sterling and catboi deservered this win (IMO).
FWIW that element of my game was more or less attempting to channel my townplay in that if I find someone giving a townread I find suspect I will press them for their reasoning on it. But I've been doing this for a long time so I'm decen at appearing 'conventionally townie', so to speak.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #929 (ISO) » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:59 pm

Post by Maestro »

gg catboi carry! :D
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #930 (ISO) » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:09 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 920, kkirigiri wrote:Yeah, apologies @Tapioca for not outing my reads at the end of Day 2, I kind of expected catboi to kill Maestro and not me on N2 if he were scum.
Not sure who I'd have ended up voting on Day 3, suppose that will forver remain unknown.

Well done to catboi for doing his best to get out of a sticky situation, can't begrudge him the victory too much, even if it's a painful one from my perspective to lose.
I chose to kill you because from my perspective you were significantly more involved in the game and actively scumhunting and were a bigger threat to re-evaluate. beyond that, when you died activity in the game tanked which made it significantly easier for me.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #931 (ISO) » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:11 pm

Post by catboi »

Anyway, nice playing with you all, this was really a challenging game for me at the start but I'm a pretty determined scum player

unfortunately right now I'm kind of fatigued when it comes to playing mafia (the game, not the alignment), and I really felt it here. Will probably be a while before I /in to any new games.
faüstiv
faüstiv
Goon
faüstiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #932 (ISO) » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:40 pm

Post by faüstiv »

In post 927, catboi wrote:
In post 912, faüstiv wrote:first of all congrats to steampunk and catboi. both played relatively well and deserved the win.

secondly, i played like trash this game and i apologise for that. usually i'm a better player but i think rustiness+getting too emotionally involved in this game cost me, especially d2. also apologies if i rubbed anyone up the wrong way etc. i don't think i learned anything from this game but this game reminded me about certain elements of mafia that i'd forgotten, such as being too obstinate towards what were loose theories and attaching myself to said theories because they made sense in my head (which happened especially on d1).

thirdly, commiserations to town. no individual player played badly, but as a collective i think we all made errors and it's what led to catboi eventually soloing the game after steampunk was L'ed d1. i was a bit disappointed with the general activity d3 onwards, felt town were playing a bit lethargic and weren't really pressuring slots but as i say, we all made errors and significant errors were also made d1 and d2 so don't think i'm trying to absolve blame from myself by saying that.

fourthly, thanks for modding dannflor and datisi.

fifthly, would be open to playing with anyone in here again at some point.
For what it's worth I don't think you were awful - you had a correct read on me, and I think your process of elimination for settling on me was more or less solid in terms of your thinking. The issue was that your reasoning for casing me was shaky, and I did what most experienced scum players do, which is pick your logic and debate you endlessly and turn the argument into a slog. Most players will tune out that arguing after a while, and unfortunately you were getting tunneled by a lot of the thread for being wrong on Sterling on Day 1. You gave me a good fight though and it was about one of the only times in the game I was strongly motivated.

I think in a playerlist where more people are familiar with my meta I basically never get away with burying you that way.
no that's the issue - i let myself get sucked in too easily, though being on L1 for most of the day didn't help. fwiw you should have hammered me sooner.
Dannflor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #933 (ISO) » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:52 am

Post by Dannflor »

Apologies all, I got really sick this week. I'll release the PTs shortly.
thewingfan
thewingfan
he
Townie
thewingfan
he
Townie
Townie
Pronoun: he

Post Post #934 (ISO) » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:18 pm

Post by thewingfan »

Welp at least my baddie sniffer isn't all that broken afterall. Outside of my annoyance at being called childish and yes I saw the apology and I appreciate it. I could only take being told I was bad so many times.

And whether I was right that faust was framed for the kill on whomever it was or not. I had it right.

As to why I left I became increasingly frustrated because every time I posted the reply Always that post was so bad but no one wanted to hang me. Its simple folks if you think my posts make me scummy then by all means HANG ME. Let's just get it over with. So between the pacing of this game being glacial ( we've now played two games at home in the time I left to now), and the fact I'm not going to change the way I play, and I'm really not interested in playing a game where everyone wants to tell me I'm bad all the time so I really don't think I'll give it a go here again.
faüstiv
faüstiv
Goon
faüstiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #935 (ISO) » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:18 pm

Post by faüstiv »

In post 934, thewingfan wrote:Welp at least my baddie sniffer isn't all that broken afterall. Outside of my annoyance at being called childish and yes I saw the apology and I appreciate it. I could only take being told I was bad so many times.

And whether I was right that faust was framed for the kill on whomever it was or not. I had it right.

As to why I left I became increasingly frustrated because every time I posted the reply Always that post was so bad but no one wanted to hang me. Its simple folks if you think my posts make me scummy then by all means HANG ME. Let's just get it over with. So between the pacing of this game being glacial ( we've now played two games at home in the time I left to now), and the fact I'm not going to change the way I play, and I'm really not interested in playing a game where everyone wants to tell me I'm bad all the time so I really don't think I'll give it a go here again.
that's a shame, you played well imo. you obvtowned pretty early and it was pleasing to see that at least one townie agreed that i was town and that catboi was scum.

tbf whilst i don't mind this site, there's just no other place to play a decent mafia game anymore that i know of.
Dannflor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #936 (ISO) » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:29 am

Post by Dannflor »

Dead PT

Scum PT

Thank you to all for playing!

Apologies for the long wait on this, I've been sick for the last several days and have let several responsibilities slide.
Sterling the steampunk
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Townie

Post Post #937 (ISO) » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:51 am

Post by Sterling the steampunk »

In post 934, thewingfan wrote:Welp at least my baddie sniffer isn't all that broken afterall. Outside of my annoyance at being called childish and yes I saw the apology and I appreciate it. I could only take being told I was bad so many times.

I know how you feel, I can only play these week long day games, which is way too long for me. 48 hours is more than enough time to post discussion and respond, and really night need even less time since it's just choosing actions, no need to responses from anyone but the moderator
faüstiv
faüstiv
Goon
faüstiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #938 (ISO) » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:47 am

Post by faüstiv »

@catboi - i don't think my logic was at all bad, just maybe not presented in the best way and my d1/early d2 didn't help my case as i was a scummy player. you did well in turning my arguments into what became a shouting match though and had i not been as rusty, i would have probably realised this much sooner than i did. what was disappointing though is that no one cased catboi again once i flipped town.
faüstiv
faüstiv
Goon
faüstiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #939 (ISO) » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:47 am

Post by faüstiv »

again, not happy how i played this game even though i correctly scumread the surviving mafia. probably my worst game in a while.
thewingfan
thewingfan
he
Townie
thewingfan
he
Townie
Townie

Post Post #940 (ISO) » Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:04 am

Post by thewingfan »

In post 935, faüstiv wrote:

that's a shame, you played well imo. you obvtowned pretty early and it was pleasing to see that at least one townie agreed that i was town and that catboi was scum.

tbf whilst i don't mind this site, there's just no other place to play a decent mafia game anymore that i know of.
Convince me otherwise. I get a baddie trying to paint me as bad. That doesn't bother me. But others. This is what happened in my view.

When I finally found my feet a little bit and gave an opinion.....

Someone "That post was so scummy"

Me. "Hang me then and let's get it over with"

Then they didn't. I really am struggling to understand why not? And I just got tired of the cyclical nature of those conversations.

They don't do that for some reason? And I get not doing it the first few times you say it but my God if you've told me over and over my posts are scummy what the hell are you waiting for? Especiially in a game that goes longer than Methuselah's lifespan but ends after it reaches enough of a majority.

Way I see it is if you've got someone is scummy plant your flag, vote, move on. Admittedly I am used to votes getting changed until Deadline EVEN if a maority is reached so it doesn't matter if I was leading the hang 5-4 mid day, it matters that I led the hang 5-4 at deadline.
faüstiv
faüstiv
Goon
faüstiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #941 (ISO) » Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:13 am

Post by faüstiv »

In post 940, thewingfan wrote:

Convince me otherwise. I get a baddie trying to paint me as bad. That doesn't bother me. But others. This is what happened in my view.

Then they didn't. I really am struggling to understand why not? And I just got tired of the cyclical nature of those conversations.

They don't do that for some reason? And I get not doing it the first few times you say it but my God if you've told me over and over my posts are scummy what the hell are you waiting for? Especiially in a game that goes longer than Methuselah's lifespan but ends after it reaches enough of a majority.

Way I see it is if you've got someone is scummy plant your flag, vote, move on. Admittedly I am used to votes getting changed until Deadline EVEN if a maority is reached so it doesn't matter if I was leading the hang 5-4 mid day, it matters that I led the hang 5-4 at deadline.
well i can't speak for others, but imo you obvtowned pretty early, that's why i never pushed or questioned you. once i saw this post:
Thanks I've already posted some.
No I'm not a baddie, and I'm not all to interesting either
. But then I don't think anyone would freely admit to being a baddie would they?
i figured you were likely not scum as it looks like a soft VT claim, which scum generally don't do as they like to keep their counter claim options open. obviously if scum didn't pick up on this then they can narrow down who the PR's are based off it, which is why i never highlighted this reasoning in game.
thewingfan
thewingfan
he
Townie
thewingfan
he
Townie
Townie

Post Post #942 (ISO) » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:50 pm

Post by thewingfan »

In post 941, faüstiv wrote:
In post 940, thewingfan wrote:

well i can't speak for others, but imo you obvtowned pretty early, that's why i never pushed or questioned you. once i saw this post:
Thanks I've already posted some.
No I'm not a baddie, and I'm not all to interesting either
. But then I don't think anyone would freely admit to being a baddie would they?
i figured you were likely not scum as it looks like a soft VT claim, which scum generally don't do as they like to keep their counter claim options open. obviously if scum didn't pick up on this then they can narrow down who the PR's are based off it, which is why i never highlighted this reasoning in game.
But surely you can see that if what others albeit post your death kept telling me I was scummy and I retorted with something like. Cool hang me then and they didn't only to be told my someone else my next post was scummy and i said the same thing, it gets very old very quickly. I mean if most games here are going to go like that why should I put myself in the position to deal with that?
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #943 (ISO) » Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:09 am

Post by Maestro »

I don't know who exactly you're talking about, who you had this back-and-forth with, but I just feel the need to offer the response that it could be any number of things, and/or it could just be the fact that you're not the center of the game? No one player is; there's no main character here, which is kindof the energy I'm getting from this? idk

Again, I don't know what events/discussion you're referring to here or just citing a general vibe, bc I'll be honest - bad memory! It could be you were 1) not that players/many players' priority for the DayKill that Day, which is fine since we need to prioritize up to a certain point, and again there's no "main character" so you shouldn't be mad for not being a priority? 2) it seems at least a couple players found you ObvTown, not sure I agree but regardless, scum would be hesitant to push you if they saw anybody mention this, and/or remaining scum was probably spent loudly trying to scumhunt somewhere they thought they could have more success influencing, but hindsight is 20/20 here. I can't speak for the rest of town here, but I just don't think the response you had here was truly proportional to whatever "treatment" you think you went through here? Is it just me?
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #944 (ISO) » Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:13 am

Post by Maestro »

Maybe it's just me. and absolutely no offense meant but just feel the need to say this since you came back in and keep bringing this up, but this was fairly tame for "a mafia game discussion that gets kindof heated and somebody ragequits the game," IMO

Saying this with all the kindness I can muster... and want to second what somebody else said! I really think it's worth reading/following more games as they happen, maybe try different queues after the Newbie Queue (or right now? some Mods would allow it, I would think, if you showed them some initiative and maybe a game or 2 on another site if you've played one?) and there will be an experience on this site that speaks to you

There's truly nowhere else like MS.net to play these kinds of games (or honestly, big social games of other types over in Mish Mash) on the internet, IMO, even if all forums now feel just a bit old-fashioned, IMO
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #945 (ISO) » Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:14 am

Post by Maestro »

that was lot of IMO-ing,
imo
- hope the point is made tho
Wayward Son
Wayward Son
He Him
Goon
Wayward Son
He Him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He Him

Post Post #946 (ISO) » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:23 pm

Post by Wayward Son »

In post 943, Maestro wrote:Is it just me?
I think several of us tried to reason with twf, so it's not just you. I'm going to keep other opinions to myself.

Live and learn.
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #947 (ISO) » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:59 am

Post by PenguinPower »