Newbie 2128 - Manila Noir - Postgame

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Maduisha
Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:00 am

Post by Maduisha »

In post 21, MikhailTal wrote:
In post 18, Wayward Son wrote: How's your Mason partner feeling about your gambit? You did discuss it with them (I hope). cough!
it was an intuitive sacrifice and i intend to prove i have sufficient compensation for it.
Uhhh, I sure hope this doesn't mean you didn't discuss it with them? I don't like this lol
Starfire
Starfire
She/Its
Goon
Starfire
She/Its
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: She/Its

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:03 am

Post by Starfire »

oh I was thinking we should basically ignore the role claim as a bit of RVS banter
The opposite of grimdark is hopepunk, pass it on
Maduisha
Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:08 am

Post by Maduisha »

Actually, yeah it's probably trolling lol

My ASD brain has a hard time identifying humor online, sorry.
iamveryhappy
iamveryhappy
all
Mafia Scum
iamveryhappy
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: all

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:56 am

Post by iamveryhappy »

In post 19, SmileyDude1 wrote: Hello everyone,
VOTE: Maduisha
Icebreaker question: How much experience do you guys have in Mafia

This is my 2nd game of forum mafia ever, my main experience outside of that is that I occasionally mod IRL games with family. Before I joined, I was a lurker around these forums before hand so I think I got a decent handle on the lingo around here.
one and a half year.
I played chat mafia for a bit, switched to forums (48/24) then to this forum (168/48)
still better at making setups than playing :)
iavh is slightly annoyed
iamveryhappy
iamveryhappy
all
Mafia Scum
iamveryhappy
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:58 am

Post by iamveryhappy »

In post 26, Starfire wrote: oh I was thinking we should basically ignore the role claim as a bit of RVS banter
In post 27, Maduisha wrote: Actually, yeah it's probably trolling lol

My ASD brain has a hard time identifying humor online, sorry.
actually, no
I feel like this is PR baiting instead.
seems like AI more than NAI.
iavh is slightly annoyed
iamveryhappy
iamveryhappy
all
Mafia Scum
iamveryhappy
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:02 am

Post by iamveryhappy »

In post 22, Maduisha wrote: VOTE: iamveryhappy cause he's way too happy, kinda sus ngl.
didn't read my intro post
and you calling me too happy
Oh no! I'm getting wagoned!
iavh is slightly annoyed
Maduisha
Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:17 am

Post by Maduisha »

In post 30, iamveryhappy wrote:
In post 22, Maduisha wrote: VOTE: iamveryhappy cause he's way too happy, kinda sus ngl.
didn't read my intro post
and you calling me too happy
Oh no! I'm getting wagoned!
I read it, it was just a pun to place my intro vote cuz rvs is rvs lol
ender
ender
He/Him
Townie
ender
He/Him
Townie
Townie
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:18 am

Post by ender »

In post 9, Wayward Son wrote: @ ender I've just come back from a long hiatus. Lots of things confused me after coming back.

Are you saying you're gonna post every other day?
i just mean i will make an effort, despite being on a trip, to post at least once every other day and i can't guarantee more often than that until i'm back to my normal schedule. however, i am fairly likely to have more opportunities to post than once every other day.
In post 19, SmileyDude1 wrote:Icebreaker question: How much experience do you guys have in Mafia
my experience with online mafia is about 20-something games played on this site from roughly 2009-2016. almost all were the newbie format at the time, which if I remember right, only included VT, cop, doc, mafia goon, and mafia roleblocker as possible roles. so the other roles possible in the current format are new to me.

i also played a good amount of offline mafia around a decade ago, but only with normal roles (VT, cop, doc, and mafia goons).

this is my first mafia game of any sort in roughly 7 years.
In post 14, MikhailTal wrote: let's start this game with a side-game of
hot
and
cold
. every other player gets one guess as to who my mason partner is today. It'll work like Guess Who - you can either guess the name, or state an observation as fact. the extremes listed in colour earlier are as specific as i'll get but i'll tell you if your guess is colder or warmer than the previous person's.

MikhailTal's slot is a mason.
Hot
why are you claiming so early?

as far as i can tell there are only a couple of possibilities, but let me know if i've missed anything.
1. you're mafia false-claiming with a gambit to fish for town PRs to counter claim. i guess the motivation here would be to sacrifice yourself early to give your partner an advantage by outing a town power role that can then be night-killed early.
2. you're telling the truth. but this is unhelpful. by claiming now, you've ensured mafia know the exact setup from the very start of the game, which removes any worry they might have had for N1 about being blocked by doc or jailkeep, or identified by cop or tracker. and you've either guaranteed you'll be the N1 kill (because mafia would want to prioritize eliminating a confirmed-town slot and to remove town aligned roles that have the ability to talk privately any time), or you've given mafia the opportunity to potentially get two free kills by picking a random townie to kill N1 and then WIFOM you to death D2 about how come you're still alive as a confirmed-town slot.

neither of those options is helpful for town in any way i can come up with. even if you are confirmed town and don't get night-killed, you don't have any action available to you to gather any additional information. so whatever the case may be, unless you're able to convince me how this is beneficial to town, i'm not going to participate in this fishing expedition to guess your supposed partner.

and i'd encourage everyone to ignore this claim entirely for D1 and see how things go N1, and if anyone is a town power role that conflicts with him being mason please do not counter claim D1, because that will just ensure you're the kill N1 and we lose the benefit of your action.
iamveryhappy
iamveryhappy
all
Mafia Scum
iamveryhappy
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:29 am

Post by iamveryhappy »

Maduisha what makes you think the PR claim is not real, but also just a joke? Same goes to Starfire.
MikhailTal what was your motive behind that claim by the way
1. if you are real, you more or less outed your partner by the hotter/colder thing
2. if you are fake but town, someone cc's, you get voted and look bad
3. if you are scum, someone cc's you get voted, gj
The only good things that happen in this is
4. you are fake but town, nobody cc's, you tank the shot, you die
5. you are scum, they believe you
6. you live as real mason
the good moment in 5 is short-lived due to a inevitable cc
6 is really unlikely.
now, you've established that you here are PR hunting and not scumhunting
I wish I could vote you twice.
If this slot survives d1 and lives n1, I'm placing a heavy sr on Tal.
Screw that… Tal instantly gets a heavy sr from me from these two pages.
iavh is slightly annoyed
iamveryhappy
iamveryhappy
all
Mafia Scum
iamveryhappy
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:31 am

Post by iamveryhappy »

In post 32, ender wrote:
In post 9, Wayward Son wrote: @ ender I've just come back from a long hiatus. Lots of things confused me after coming back.

i just mean i will make an effort, despite being on a trip, to post at least once every other day and i can't guarantee more often than that until i'm back to my normal schedule. however, i am fairly likely to have more opportunities to post than once every other day.
In post 19, SmileyDude1 wrote:Icebreaker question: How much experience do you guys have in Mafia
my experience with online mafia is about 20-something games played on this site from roughly 2009-2016. almost all were the newbie format at the time, which if I remember right, only included VT, cop, doc, mafia goon, and mafia roleblocker as possible roles. so the other roles possible in the current format are new to me.

i also played a good amount of offline mafia around a decade ago, but only with normal roles (VT, cop, doc, and mafia goons).

hot
and
cold
. every other player gets one guess as to who my mason partner is today. It'll work like Guess Who - you can either guess the name, or state an observation as fact. the extremes listed in colour earlier are as specific as i'll get but i'll tell you if your guess is colder or warmer than the previous person's.

Hot

as far as i can tell there are only a couple of possibilities, but let me know if i've missed anything.
1. you're mafia false-claiming with a gambit to fish for town PRs to counter claim. i guess the motivation here would be to sacrifice yourself early to give your partner an advantage by outing a town power role that can then be night-killed early.
2. you're telling the truth. but this is unhelpful. by claiming now, you've ensured mafia know the exact setup from the very start of the game, which removes any worry they might have had for N1 about being blocked by doc or jailkeep, or identified by cop or tracker. and you've either guaranteed you'll be the N1 kill (because mafia would want to prioritize eliminating a confirmed-town slot and to remove town aligned roles that have the ability to talk privately any time), or you've given mafia the opportunity to potentially get two free kills by picking a random townie to kill N1 and then WIFOM you to death D2 about how come you're still alive as a confirmed-town slot.

neither of those options is helpful for town in any way i can come up with. even if you are confirmed town and don't get night-killed, you don't have any action available to you to gather any additional information. so whatever the case may be, unless you're able to convince me how this is beneficial to town, i'm not going to participate in this fishing expedition to guess your supposed partner.

and i'd encourage everyone to ignore this claim entirely for D1 and see how things go N1, and if anyone is a town power role that conflicts with him being mason please do not counter claim D1, because that will just ensure you're the kill N1 and we lose the benefit of your action.
good post
idt mafia would go 1 for 1 here though, placing themselves into a 1v6 d2 (might be with a clear!) is scary.
you get a townread for now
iavh is slightly annoyed
iamveryhappy
iamveryhappy
all
Mafia Scum
iamveryhappy
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:36 am

Post by iamveryhappy »

In post 34, iamveryhappy wrote:
In post 32, ender wrote:

hot
and
cold

Hot

good post
idt mafia would go 1 for 1 here though, placing themselves into a 1v6 d2 (might be with a clear!) is scary.
you get a townread for now
change: 1 for 2 if there is a mason pair
but: how is Tal so sure there are masons? if this flips red, basically slipped that it is a vanilla setup (with two innocents). ew.
iavh is slightly annoyed
iamveryhappy
iamveryhappy
all
Mafia Scum
iamveryhappy
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:43 am

Post by iamveryhappy »

I'm really surprised that only me and ender saw how bad MihkailTal's post 14 was.
iavh is slightly annoyed
Starfire
Starfire
She/Its
Goon
Starfire
She/Its
Goon
Goon

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:00 am

Post by Starfire »

In post 33, iamveryhappy wrote: Maduisha what makes you think the PR claim is not real, but also just a joke? Same goes to Starfire.
1. if you are real, you more or less outed your partner by the hotter/colder thing
6 is really unlikely.
I mean, for all the reasons you listed basically. It's a bad play in general, and so assuming competence, I guessed it isn't a 'play' at all.
Maduisha
Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:08 am

Post by Maduisha »

In post 33, iamveryhappy wrote: Maduisha what makes you think the PR claim is not real, but also just a joke? Same goes to Starfire.
6 is really unlikely.
Mostly because it feels kinda absurd to claim mason like that, at first I thought maybe it was a weird strat but now I think it's trolling to gather reactions (who tries to play the hot/cold game and then draw alignment reads out of that, maybe)

it's the only way it makes sense to me rn
Starfire
Starfire
She/Its
Goon
Starfire
She/Its
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:10 am

Post by Starfire »

No, actually, I think I change my mind on this. Town gets nothing from rejecting info as irrelevant. Still think its NAI, but ''it's a joke, ignore it'' is bad from me, mb
Maduisha
Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:13 am

Post by Maduisha »

There's only a vote on their slot, so maybe it's time to VOTE: MihkailTal so we can get their attention. If their intention wasn't gauging reactions then idk what the grand plan is lol

I hope they swing by soon!
iamveryhappy
iamveryhappy
all
Mafia Scum
iamveryhappy
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:44 am

Post by iamveryhappy »

In post 18, Wayward Son wrote: How's your Mason partner feeling about your gambit? You did discuss it with them (I hope). cough!
it was an intuitive sacrifice and i intend to prove i have sufficient compensation for it.
wow! I realised this post exists!
well nope, I don't believe your partner would let you do that
vote x3 (unofficial)
iavh is slightly annoyed
Keria
Keria
He/him
Townie
Keria
He/him
Townie
Townie
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:48 am

Post by Keria »

i don't like the claim. i don't like the minigame attached to the claim because its designed to out the other mason. i think the claim is probably real though and i can see it coming from a newer player that doesn't fully understand the repercussions of the claim. i don't really think voting out Mihkail is the play here
Keria
Keria
He/him
Townie
Keria
He/him
Townie
Townie

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:50 am

Post by Keria »

i like ender's and i think it summarizes the situation well
Maduisha
Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:53 am

Post by Maduisha »

In post 42, Keria wrote: i don't like the claim. i don't like the minigame attached to the claim because its designed to out the other mason. i think the claim is probably real though and i can see it coming from a newer player that doesn't fully understand the repercussions of the claim. i don't really think voting out Mihkail is the play here
Voting them doesn't necessarily mean we want to eliminate them. I do want them to talk a bit more though!
Starfire
Starfire
She/Its
Goon
Starfire
She/Its
Goon
Goon

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:53 am

Post by Starfire »

6 is really unlikely.
In post 41, iamveryhappy wrote:
vote x3 (unofficial)
In post 29, iamveryhappy wrote: actually, no
I don't really like how iamveryhappy ramps up suspicion in a series of posts when the situation was otherwise static. What leads this from ''seems alignment indicative'' to ''vote x3 (unofficial)'' Feels like trying to build a wagon more than learning. VOTE: Iamveryhappy
Starfire
Starfire
She/Its
Goon
Starfire
She/Its
Goon
Goon

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:54 am

Post by Starfire »

hmm, thought snipping at the quotes automatically applied *snip*, apparently I've got to do that. apologies all, I'll properly indicate when I snip in future
Keria
Keria
He/him
Townie
Keria
He/him
Townie
Townie

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:00 am

Post by Keria »

In post 44, Maduisha wrote:
In post 42, Keria wrote: i don't like the claim. i don't like the minigame attached to the claim because its designed to out the other mason. i think the claim is probably real though and i can see it coming from a newer player that doesn't fully understand the repercussions of the claim. i don't really think voting out Mihkail is the play here
Voting them doesn't necessarily mean we want to eliminate them. I do want them to talk a bit more though!
i don't really see the point in pressure voting someone that has only been away from the thread for a few hours, but i also don't really have too much issue with it? i think scum might want to push for a Mihkail elimination but i don't necessarily think that's what you're doing here
Keria
Keria
He/him
Townie
Keria
He/him
Townie
Townie

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:00 am

Post by Keria »

In post 45, Starfire wrote:
6 is really unlikely.
vote x3 (unofficial)
I don't really like how iamveryhappy ramps up suspicion in a series of posts when the situation was otherwise static. What leads this from ''seems alignment indicative'' to ''vote x3 (unofficial)'' Feels like trying to build a wagon more than learning. VOTE: Iamveryhappy
i like this
iamveryhappy
iamveryhappy
all
Mafia Scum
iamveryhappy
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:05 am

Post by iamveryhappy »

In post 20, MikhailTal wrote:
In post 19, SmileyDude1 wrote: Hello everyone,
VOTE: Maduisha
Icebreaker question: How much experience do you guys have in Mafia

This is my 2nd game of forum mafia ever, my main experience outside of that is that I occasionally mod IRL games with family. Before I joined, I was a lurker around these forums before hand so I think I got a decent handle on the lingo around here.
we (as a DID collective) are as new as you are to this site. my personal thoughts are that experience doesn't mean much in mafia until you're a somewhat known presence, as critical thinking and a willingness to study can easily account for most common concepts, and a consequence of everyone being unique is that everyone also needs to be viewed with a unique perspective. it's hard to know for sure because of amnesia issues but at a guess, we've been playing for around 14 years? all types, from online to offline, text to voice to in-person, 1 minute days to 1 month days. my suspicion is that it's easily crossed over 10000 hours of dedicated playtime but focusing on an accurate lower-bound i'll say 7500.
>7500 hours
at this level t!Tal would know better to do this
In post 15, MikhailTal wrote: oh, right, as for the stakes - closest (or first to get the exact name of my mason partner) unconditionally buys my vote tomorrow.
this post rubs me the wrong way too
> buys my vote, also known as being lazy, not trying to solve
fits perfectly with my previous accusation of trying to PR hunt that to scumhunt
In post 45, Starfire wrote:
6 is really unlikely.
vote x3 (unofficial)
Yes, I am trying to build a wagon, what about it? You don't like wagons? You don't like your partner being wagoned? You want to chainsaw defense? Vote x3 is just how many times I would vote MikhalTal if I could. Maybe 4 for the hammer. So confused on what it has to do with learning :think:
iavh is slightly annoyed

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”