Changes to Normal Games (update September 2022)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Civil Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1125 (ISO) » Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:17 am

Post by Civil Scum »

Well maybe not just scum doing it, but it seems in general that lurking would be worse. I mean people wouldn’t even have to do it on purpose. 36hr prods for 10 days is only 6 posts. In a 3 week daytime, a player with only 6 posts, let alone unsubstantial ones, could definitely be accused of lurking. This doesn’t even consider replacements which mean a player could have only 2 or 3 posts for the town to work with.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #1126 (ISO) » Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:56 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

Parkinson's Law applies to mafia too, when deadlines are too long the days just stretch out a lead to player fatigue
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Cook
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: She

Post Post #1127 (ISO) » Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:53 am

Post by Cook »

In post 1126, Not_Mafia wrote: Parkinson's Law applies to mafia too, when deadlines are too long the days just stretch out a lead to player fatigue
every day should be a 72 hour blitz, got it
Your friendly neighborhood chef and baker. LONG LIVE THE CHEFHAT REBELLION!
Cults With Guns //
"ya true if you don't play mafia you are probably winning" – Alisae

Inventor of 3d20 //
Successful Rebellion Leader//
Civil Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1128 (ISO) » Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:25 am

Post by Civil Scum »

Thank you Biancospino btw for all the details.
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1129 (ISO) » Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:10 am

Post by brassherald »

In post 1126, Not_Mafia wrote: Parkinson's Law applies to mafia too, when deadlines are too long the days just stretch out a lead to player fatigue
In my day a day was just what we called 28 hours, then The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask came out and they shortened it to 24 hours because the game was really good. So what I'm saying is 24 hour days on all games!
I've only made one good post, and don't you dare accuse me of doing it again.
RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1130 (ISO) » Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:48 pm

Post by RH9 »

In post 1114, camelCasedSnivy wrote: what happens if 2 lazy traitors are the last scum players alive? would they both be endgamed, or would 1 be endgamed while the other joins the scum PT?
I don't think Traitors are allowed to join the scum PT in a Normal game, so it'd be the former.
GTKAS: 2022, 2024

v/la every weekend

indefinite hiatus from mafia solo
biancospino
biancospino
he/she
compulsive complex Inventor
biancospino
he/she
Pronoun: he/she

Post Post #1131 (ISO) » Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:53 pm

Post by biancospino »

In post 1130, RH9 wrote:
In post 1114, camelCasedSnivy wrote: what happens if 2 lazy traitors are the last scum players alive? would they both be endgamed, or would 1 be endgamed while the other joins the scum PT?
I don't think Traitors are allowed to join the scum PT in a Normal game, so it'd be the former.
uuh... about that, viewtopic.php?t=90861
Turns out a lazy Traitor that gain access to the PT when they're the last wolf standing is normal apparently.

Still, in the 2 lazy Traitor case, I still think they're both endgamed, since when the Traitor endgame ability would trigger the lazy modifier would not have any effect (since there would still be 2 scum left)
RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1132 (ISO) » Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:54 pm

Post by RH9 »

In post 1131, biancospino wrote:
In post 1130, RH9 wrote:
uuh... about that, viewtopic.php?t=90861
Turns out a lazy Traitor that gain access to the PT when they're the last wolf standing is normal apparently.

Still, in the 2 lazy Traitor case, I still think they're both endgamed, since when the Traitor endgame ability would trigger the lazy modifier would not have any effect (since there would still be 2 scum left)
Oh.
I stand corrected, then.
GTKAS: 2022, 2024

v/la every weekend

indefinite hiatus from mafia solo
DragonEater70
DragonEater70
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
DragonEater70
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1133 (ISO) » Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:07 am

Post by DragonEater70 »

In post 1120, biancospino wrote:
In post 1116, Alisae wrote:
In post 1115, Civil Scum wrote: Can anyone tell me what the typical Day length is on a Normal game?

Also am I the only person who hates mafia day-talk?
10-14 days.

Curious about anti day-talk arguments.
10-14 might actually be a bit high of an estimate, at least 7-days Days are not uncommon for minis.
To be a bit more quantitative, assuming that I've not messed up the count:
  • Among all non-ongoing Mini Normals that ended in 2022 or later:
    • 10 had 10-days D1, and 7-days for other Days*
    • 6 had 7-days Days
    • 6 had 10-days Days
    • 4 had 10-days D1, and 8-days for other Days
    • 2 had 14-days D1, and 10-days for other Days
    • 2 had 14-days Days
    * one of those games actually also had 5-days Days in XLo. Curiously, another one of those games were the only one in this time period with 1-day Nights, instead of the far more common 2-days

For those games as a whole, the D1 deadline was 238h24m on average, and the D2 deadline was 201h36m (around 8 days and a half) on average.

• Among all non-ongoing Large Normals that ended in 2021 or later (there are a lot less of those, so I've picked a larger time period):
    • 4 had 10-days Days
    • 2 had 11-days Days
    • 2 had 14-days D1, and 10-days for other Days
    • 1 game each had 7,12,13,14-days Days
    • 1 game had 10-days D1 and 8-days for other Days
    • 1 game had 12-days D1, then 10-days for the next days, and 8-days Days since when <=10 players remained
    For those games as a whole, the D1 deadline was ~270h52m on average (a bit over 11 days), and the D2 deadline was ~250h17m (around 10 days and a half) on average.
Damn you did some serious research. I applaud you.
Random Nurse
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1134 (ISO) » Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:56 pm

Post by Random Nurse »

Out of curiosity, what is the limit when it comes to "Informed" Town and Mafia?

Meaning, how intricate can you make the details?
Random Nurse
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1135 (ISO) » Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:03 pm

Post by Random Nurse »

Also, say you want to make a 13-player mountainous game, 10:3.

IF you were to make all of them "Informed," what can you even inform them about?

I could have ONE of the Town "Informed" that the Mafia team has 3 players, but... what else can you even make them informed about?

Could you have ONE of the Mafia Goons informed that, for example, "_____ Townie knows that there are 3 members of the Mafia."?

Could you also have X-Day Informed status obtained? Say, for example, on Day 3 one of the Townies become informed that there are 3 members in the Mafia team?

How intricate can we get?
biancospino
biancospino
he/she
biancospino
he/she

Post Post #1136 (ISO) » Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:04 pm

Post by biancospino »

In post 1135, Random Nurse wrote: How intricate can we get?
Quite I bit I presume. Having one Informed knowing that another Informed knows X is actually a thing I did in a normal, so it can surely be done.

The wiki poses no explicit limitation on the sort of info that could be passed, so I deduct there is none explicitly
Random Nurse
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1137 (ISO) » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:32 am

Post by Random Nurse »

In post 1136, biancospino wrote:
In post 1135, Random Nurse wrote: How intricate can we get?
Quite I bit I presume. Having one Informed knowing that another Informed knows X is actually a thing I did in a normal, so it can surely be done.

The wiki poses no explicit limitation on the sort of info that could be passed, so I deduct there is none explicitly

What I envision is making a *Mountainous* themed game that's way more intricate than any game with PRs. Like I could use the "clothes" players are wearing, their "food preferences," etc, in order to make really intricate Informed role PMs (think multiple paragraphs). I'd want to push the limit on just how Informed players can be, to make the game truly interesting.
biancospino
biancospino
he/she
biancospino
he/she

Post Post #1138 (ISO) » Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:38 am

Post by biancospino »

Normal article on the wiki wrote:All flavor should be public; flavor is not allowed in Role PMs
Random Nurse
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1139 (ISO) » Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:42 am

Post by Random Nurse »

Yeah, I'd only use that for a themed game.

Seems like for a Normal mountainous game the options for the "Informed" role is extremely limited.
Random Nurse
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1140 (ISO) » Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:00 pm

Post by Random Nurse »

I've got an idea for a new PR.

A Town/Scum "Sensor."

The variation I thought of only works Day 1, but I suppose could work any Day.

Basically after being eliminated, after being flipped the Mod confirms whether or not there was at least one Scum on that wagon.

A Scum Sensor probably wouldn't be that useful, but in multiball it could be.

Then again that would be OP if only Town votes...
Random Nurse
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1141 (ISO) » Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:08 pm

Post by Random Nurse »

Also, I like the idea of a Vote-Activated modifier.

For example, you, the Town Tracker, can only use your ability the following Night if you were the 1st vote on a successful elimination.

That would add a nice layer of complexity and weaken PRs further to smooth things out.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #1142 (ISO) » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:09 am

Post by Alisae »

Why is it that a multiball game can be considered normal?
It’s a game type that I think only rly appears in open and normal queues. I don’t remember the last time a multiball game was ran outside of those queues (third parties don’t count here)
Random Nurse
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1143 (ISO) » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:27 pm

Post by Random Nurse »

In post 1142, Alisae wrote: Why is it that a multiball game can be considered normal?
It’s a game type that I think only rly appears in open and normal queues. I don’t remember the last time a multiball game was ran outside of those queues (third parties don’t count here)

They used to, but they bring too much swing in smaller games, so are limited to larger games (which is fine). I'd prefer to keep the multiball option open in large normal games.

If there was some clever way to reduce swinginess in Mini Normal multiball games I would love to hear a solution. I wish that Normal games could incorporate (allow as an option) the accrual of $$$ each Day phase for either the "Town," "Townies," and "Scum." By calibrating it in such a way it could reduce swinginess quite a bit. Say for example Scum gets $50,000 each Night to do things, but a NK costs $100,000 to perform, thus making it so at best they'd have to wait two Nights to commit a NK without spending $$$ on anything else. I think if this layer of complexity could be introduced as a NORMAL function of Normal games, that, I think, could be quite beneficial.
Cook
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1144 (ISO) » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:30 pm

Post by Cook »

In post 1143, Random Nurse wrote:
In post 1142, Alisae wrote: Why is it that a multiball game can be considered normal?

They used to, but they bring too much swing in smaller games, so are limited to larger games (which is fine). I'd prefer to keep the multiball option open in large normal games.

If there was some clever way to reduce swinginess in Mini Normal multiball games I would love to hear a solution. I wish that Normal games could incorporate (allow as an option) the accrual of $$$ each Day phase for either the "Town," "Townies," and "Scum." By calibrating it in such a way it could reduce swinginess quite a bit. Say for example Scum gets $50,000 each Night to do things, but a NK costs $100,000 to perform, thus making it so at best they'd have to wait two Nights to commit a NK without spending $$$ on anything else. I think if this layer of complexity could be introduced as a NORMAL function of Normal games, that, I think, could be quite beneficial.
write a theme around it
Cults With Guns //

Inventor of 3d20 //
Random Nurse
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1145 (ISO) » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:32 pm

Post by Random Nurse »

In post 1144, Cook wrote:

write a theme around it

What do you mean, please?
Cook
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1146 (ISO) » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:37 pm

Post by Cook »

In post 1145, Random Nurse wrote:
In post 1144, Cook wrote:

write a theme around it

What do you mean, please?
you should write a theme game with this mechanic and then design a closed and otherwise normal setup above it too

i'm sure some people'd like to play it
Cults With Guns //

Inventor of 3d20 //
camelCasedSnivy
camelCasedSnivy
he/him
Mafia Scum
camelCasedSnivy
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1147 (ISO) » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:38 pm

Post by camelCasedSnivy »

i think nurse got the idea from the mini theme he was scum in
master at being scum(my)
Random Nurse
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Random Nurse
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1148 (ISO) » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:44 pm

Post by Random Nurse »

In post 1147, camelCasedSnivy wrote: i think nurse got the idea from the mini theme he was scum in

Bingo. I really liked that setup.
biancospino
biancospino
he/she
biancospino
he/she

Post Post #1149 (ISO) » Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:46 pm

Post by biancospino »

In post 1143, Random Nurse wrote: thus making it so at best they'd have to wait two Nights to commit a NK
You can actually already accomplish this by making all scum, e.g., compulsive odd-nights Visitors (with multitasking off) to allow to kill only on even nights; or using a combination of night specific/nonconsecutive to get whatever schedule you want

Return to “Mafia Discussion”