Open 889 | Secrets of the Anuket Topaz | fin.

Open Games (Use a known setup). Signups Here
jjh927
jjh927
Survivor
jjh927
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #275 (ISO) » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:50 am

Post by jjh927 »

In fact doesn't your 271 assume STD is town?
"As best I can tell, jjh is some kind of wizard with mind control powers." -Jingle
Dannflor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #276 (ISO) » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:57 am

Post by Dannflor »

VC 1.8

Save The Dragons [5]:
camelCasedSnivy, Shirou, Ydrasse, Alisae, Prism
T3 [2]:
imaginality, Firebringer
Prism [1]:
Save The Dragons

Not Voting [5]:
patchwork, gob, Andresvmb, T3, jjh927

With 13 on-board, it takes 7 to force someone to walk the plank. Day 1 ends in (expired on 2023-10-22 18:36:06).

Mod Notes:
Alisae replaces Xegarus!
Last edited by Dannflor on Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #277 (ISO) » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:12 am

Post by Firebringer »

In post 271, Prism wrote: This is E-1. Scum should instantly blitz, town should post to say they are not doing so.
As the resident open scum player. You do tempt me with this.
But I will refrain for now

Want to see dragons make the epic comeback and win the duel
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #278 (ISO) » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:12 am

Post by Firebringer »

Ohh jjh unvoted anyways
Show
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #279 (ISO) » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:13 am

Post by Firebringer »

In post 262, jjh927 wrote: Did you just ignore the eminence in shadow btw
best show. season 2 episode 2 was actually really boring and unfunny tho
Show

jjh927
jjh927
Survivor
jjh927
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #280 (ISO) » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:14 am

Post by jjh927 »

Yeah see what would have happened if firebringer here had just lolhammered for funsies

What are the possible outcomes in terms of the information we get there
"As best I can tell, jjh is some kind of wizard with mind control powers." -Jingle
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #281 (ISO) » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:14 am

Post by Firebringer »

i mean i did laugh that Cid is still usuing marys lines even in front of her but i thought it would be funnier if she even acknowledged it like "that sounds familiar" or something. I feel like a lot missed opportunities for good humor. Manga was more funny
Show

jjh927
jjh927
Survivor
jjh927
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #282 (ISO) » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:15 am

Post by jjh927 »

In post 279, Firebringer wrote:
In post 262, jjh927 wrote: Did you just ignore the eminence in shadow btw
best show. season 2 episode 2 was actually really boring and unfunny tho
The moon is red. The frenzy has begun. We are out of time
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #283 (ISO) » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:17 am

Post by Firebringer »

the season openner was really great though, loved the throne room scene with cid saying he smells it and all the garden think he is smelling them with eta even spraying perfume or something. got a kick out of that
Show

T3
T3
He/him
Survivor
T3
He/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #284 (ISO) » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:27 am

Post by T3 »

In post 242, Alisae wrote:
In post 47, T3 wrote:VOTE: ydrasse
In post 49, T3 wrote:real
is t3 ok?
sorry i have zoomeritis
T3
T3
He/him
Survivor
T3
He/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #285 (ISO) » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:36 am

Post by T3 »

I'm not convinced that StD is scum at all
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Protection unnecessary
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #286 (ISO) » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:47 am

Post by Save The Dragons »

I'm sorry we are rushing in this setup because........why?
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Protection unnecessary

Post Post #287 (ISO) » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:52 am

There are multiple people who have posted 0 or 1 time and you're ready to end the day on me? Yuck
camelCasedSnivy
camelCasedSnivy
he/him
Mafia Scum
camelCasedSnivy
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #288 (ISO) » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:55 am

Post by camelCasedSnivy »

In post 271, Prism wrote:
This is E-1. Scum should instantly blitz, town should post to say they are not doing so.

It means nothing if those same qualities make you an excellent vote candidate.

I spent much of the morning waiting to see if there would be a point where many of the current voters were offline. This did not happen, and the timezones are now out of sync and make it very unlikely to happen.

I intended to vote and allow scum to either blitz or for non-voting town players to acknowledge the hammer opportunity. I considered this a win-win.

The gap did not happen. This makes the utility of this vote very unlikely. Someone will likely save you, but I will gladly take the chance to simply kill you or have players publicly pass on the hammer while I can.

VOTE: Dragons
lol what
master at being scum(my)
camelCasedSnivy
camelCasedSnivy
he/him
Mafia Scum
camelCasedSnivy
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #289 (ISO) » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:56 am

Post by camelCasedSnivy »

in fact can we wait until gob and andres get replacements
master at being scum(my)
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #290 (ISO) » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:57 am

Post by Prism »

I figured that would happen but it is still unfortunate that no one got to check in between the vote/unvote.
In post 192, Shirou wrote:I wondered why Prism hadn't considered you actually scum-reading them as a likely possibility. Added with your history of apparently misreading them, if we assume Prism is town, it felt a bit puzzling that they thought you had to be doing it for a purpose other than suspecting them.
You are making the opposite mistake of Firebringer as described in 140.

I did not assume a scumread as suggested by Firebringer, but did think it likely. This is most obvious in my post 118: "There are two
good
reasons for him specifically to vote me that way
with zero substance
".

First, voting to annoy me and see what happens can help pursue a scumread, and I explicitly thought this was a good idea. Annoying me to see what happens really could be a good play, and he wouldn't be the first to sort me that way. It sucks for me when that's the tactic, but if it works it works.

Second, if there is a scumread but not an intent to annoy me, voting me
without explanation
is a
bad
idea. It is denying other players the chance to agree with his reasoning and any degree of insight into his sincerity.

Thus, if one of his goals was to see me voted out or to pursue the scumread,
consider changing tactics.
My motivation in expressing annoyance was not to vent, but on the off-chance that clear knowledge and feedback
somehow
improve his reads and indirectly help me as a result. My feedback on changing tactics was sincere, I wanted him to take it, I believed it to be useful, and it was very short and direct because I know his time is more valuable and scarce than my own.

---
In post 226, Shirou wrote:If StD voted Prism because he was suspicious, why didn't he say so when Prism was talking about him "only doing it to annoy him or for reactions" for example?

It's a minor thing but it kinda bugs me that it took me asking him to confirm whether Prism said was right or not. Wouldn't the normal behavior be to explain shortly "I'm voting you because I think you're scum" rather than "uh okay" and dip out?
The lack of explanation is not indicative. He never plays that way. There are four answers to this working together harmoniously. The first is that I'm a jerk and don't deserve it. Other players are irrelevant to this reason. The second is that sometimes he does not have time to play that way. The third is that he rarely wants to play that way regardless. The fourth is that it makes it significantly easier to play scum if he does not play that way.

---
In post 273, jjh927 wrote:I don't think I see the utility here that you do
Dragons is a player that often skirts the nullish line, as he will readily admit. I don't view voting him out on the basis that he has a lower chance of being resolved through dayplay as negative EV. This is a policy judgment, but one that is comparative to other players and not in isolation. I wouldn't care if Dragons AFK voted me, refused to speak with me all game, and spammed up the game with 20 pages of nonsense so long as I think he can be accurately read, and if he can be accurately read without doing any of those things then that is all the better.

If I have an active scumread, I will always prioritize that vote. But until Dragons towntells or I am convinced another player will be harder to resolve by future dayplay, I will always be happy to vote the slot.

---
In post 274, jjh927 wrote:Scum don't have an obligation to instantly hammer if STD is town, but anyone theoretically could. If your instinct on a townflip would be to beat the hammerer with a stick then I think we could find ourselves going downhill very quickly.
I actually forgot that Day 1 does not have an escape mechanic available Night 1; I joined last time on Day 2.

My mindset was that a scum that blitzes instantly escapes. If the hammering player doesn't escape, we qualitatively evaluate on Day 2. I definitely did not mind a town hammer, but I would have preferred explicit passovers. This would have made the probability of Dragons being scum go up with every passover.
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #291 (ISO) » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:17 am

Post by Prism »

I am known to utilize some extremely cheesy spitball gambits in the same vein, but I think forgetting the lack of a Day 1 escape mechanic and thinking there were 4 scum is likely to wind up the strongest set of town-indicative set posts I will make all game. The very methodical timing and context behind it would be extremely bizarre.
Dannflor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #292 (ISO) » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:10 am

Post by Dannflor »

Prodding gob.
patchwork
patchwork
they/them
Mafia Scum
patchwork
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #293 (ISO) » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:13 am

Post by patchwork »

yall think i should read back or just throw myself into posting
lolhammer count: 3
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #294 (ISO) » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:15 am

Post by Firebringer »

i barely bother reading to begin with.
i think im going to be tuning out prism posts soon.

brain not big enough for all the words prism puts in posts.
Show

Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #295 (ISO) » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:17 am

Post by Firebringer »

my brain is mushed right now from work. and i don't have the capacity to do reading comprehension on what prism is putting down.
Show

Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #296 (ISO) » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:37 am

Post by Prism »

I remember my first time reading "The Very Hungry Caterpillar". You'll get there.
jjh927
jjh927
Survivor
jjh927
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #297 (ISO) » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:24 pm

Post by jjh927 »

In post 290, Prism wrote: I figured that would happen but it is still unfortunate that no one got to check in between the vote/unvote.
In post 192, Shirou wrote:I wondered why Prism hadn't considered you actually scum-reading them as a likely possibility. Added with your history of apparently misreading them, if we assume Prism is town, it felt a bit puzzling that they thought you had to be doing it for a purpose other than suspecting them.
You are making the opposite mistake of Firebringer as described in 140.

I did not assume a scumread as suggested by Firebringer, but did think it likely. This is most obvious in my post 118: "There are two
good
reasons for him specifically to vote me that way
with zero substance
".

First, voting to annoy me and see what happens can help pursue a scumread, and I explicitly thought this was a good idea. Annoying me to see what happens really could be a good play, and he wouldn't be the first to sort me that way. It sucks for me when that's the tactic, but if it works it works.

Second, if there is a scumread but not an intent to annoy me, voting me
without explanation
is a
bad
idea. It is denying other players the chance to agree with his reasoning and any degree of insight into his sincerity.

Thus, if one of his goals was to see me voted out or to pursue the scumread,
consider changing tactics.
My motivation in expressing annoyance was not to vent, but on the off-chance that clear knowledge and feedback
somehow
improve his reads and indirectly help me as a result. My feedback on changing tactics was sincere, I wanted him to take it, I believed it to be useful, and it was very short and direct because I know his time is more valuable and scarce than my own.

---
In post 226, Shirou wrote:If StD voted Prism because he was suspicious, why didn't he say so when Prism was talking about him "only doing it to annoy him or for reactions" for example?

It's a minor thing but it kinda bugs me that it took me asking him to confirm whether Prism said was right or not. Wouldn't the normal behavior be to explain shortly "I'm voting you because I think you're scum" rather than "uh okay" and dip out?
The lack of explanation is not indicative. He never plays that way. There are four answers to this working together harmoniously. The first is that I'm a jerk and don't deserve it. Other players are irrelevant to this reason. The second is that sometimes he does not have time to play that way. The third is that he rarely wants to play that way regardless. The fourth is that it makes it significantly easier to play scum if he does not play that way.

---
In post 273, jjh927 wrote:I don't think I see the utility here that you do
Dragons is a player that often skirts the nullish line, as he will readily admit. I don't view voting him out on the basis that he has a lower chance of being resolved through dayplay as negative EV. This is a policy judgment, but one that is comparative to other players and not in isolation. I wouldn't care if Dragons AFK voted me, refused to speak with me all game, and spammed up the game with 20 pages of nonsense so long as I think he can be accurately read, and if he can be accurately read without doing any of those things then that is all the better.

If I have an active scumread, I will always prioritize that vote. But until Dragons towntells or I am convinced another player will be harder to resolve by future dayplay, I will always be happy to vote the slot.

---
In post 274, jjh927 wrote:Scum don't have an obligation to instantly hammer if STD is town, but anyone theoretically could. If your instinct on a townflip would be to beat the hammerer with a stick then I think we could find ourselves going downhill very quickly.
I actually forgot that Day 1 does not have an escape mechanic available Night 1; I joined last time on Day 2.

My mindset was that a scum that blitzes instantly escapes. If the hammering player doesn't escape, we qualitatively evaluate on Day 2. I definitely did not mind a town hammer, but I would have preferred explicit passovers. This would have made the probability of Dragons being scum go up with every passover.
Scum don't get an escape mechanic on day 2 either if we don't collectively suck. If we get a scum on day 1 it is a very big deal. Don't policy people in this setup a few days into day 1.1

Also just as a reminder, if we don't suck we get 5 conftowns per scum killed in these 2 days. Which is probably most of the people on wagon if we only get 1.
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Protection unnecessary

Post Post #298 (ISO) » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:40 pm

Wait you're policying me
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #299 (ISO) » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:40 pm

Post by Prism »

In post 295, Firebringer wrote:my brain is mushed right now from work. and i don't have the capacity to do reading comprehension on what prism is putting down.
Part of playing mafia is playing as a team, and that means accommodating to each other's strengths and weaknesses. It means working together and being there for one another.

I hear you, Firebringer. I will pick you up when you are down. I am willing to go the distance.

Return to “Central Park [Open Games]”