JOAT uPick | FIN!

Large Theme Games (based on source material and/or changes to mechanics/rules)
(14+ players)
. Signup Threads In Queue Forum
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #1525 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:05 pm

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

In post 1521, LadyTerminallyOffline wrote: I am so confused as to why multiple players in this game apparently are willing and excited to play anything other than their best. Are we not trying to win this game? Is mafiascum actually a site where people role play and just prank each other to the detriment of anyone trying to play the game for real?
this is such a mood
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

"I can't even look at the game anymore.
That evil teddy bear has got everyone twirling by his thumb.
It's like witnessing an slow but unavoidable train crash you can't stop."

-Norwee
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #1526 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:05 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 1523, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote: so you were just going to let your best friend get run up while you did your nails in the corner humming some showtunes
thats maria for you
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #1527 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:06 pm

Post by Bell »

@maria: you’re missing a lot about me TBH. But how I expect people to reach a correct Town Bell read is insane. So.
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note

Post Post #1528 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:08 pm

Post by Bell »

I’m happy to listen to your Dunn read whenever you’re ready for it.

I lack confidence in reading Dunn.
Joyboy
Joyboy
Goon
Joyboy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1529 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:10 pm

Post by Joyboy »

In post 1521, LadyTerminallyOffline wrote: I am so confused as to why multiple players in this game apparently are willing and excited to play anything other than their best. Are we not trying to win this game? Is mafiascum actually a site where people role play and just prank each other to the detriment of anyone trying to play the game for real?
IMFAMOUS PIRATES HAVE NOTHING TO PROVE!!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!
Maid Cafe
Maid Cafe
Goon
Maid Cafe
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1530 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:10 pm

Post by Maid Cafe »

In post 1521, LadyTerminallyOffline wrote: We are 61 pages deep into this game. I think we are well past the point of needing to form our own opinions....

If you're that accurate then I absolutely want your take here so that both you and Dunn can be judged for it later once we have flips.

If you're town aligned and that accurate you are playing against your win condition not telling us your opinion by now.... So why?

I am so confused as to why multiple players in this game apparently are willing and excited to play anything other than their best. Are we not trying to win this game? Is mafiascum actually a site where people role play and just prank each other to the detriment of anyone trying to play the game for real?
Your thinking is actually quite shallow if your first kneejerk reaction is to call it throwing for me to not be sharing my opinion because it doesn't align with your own viewpoint. There are plenty of reasons as to not share it. Especially considering we have a lot of time left on the clock for people to push him, state more about it etc.

I don't see the benefit of stating my read on him at this point, if you can provide one that isn't just "you will be held accountable later" something that can be fixed at any point not just this instant than I'm willing to listen.

To say someone is not "playing their best" because it does not align with your style of play says a lot.
Why are you... the only one causing me so much confusion?

aka beeboy and MariaR
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note

Post Post #1531 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:11 pm

Post by Bell »

In post 1525, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:
this is such a mood
Do you think I’m not trying.
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #1532 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:13 pm

In post 1531, Bell wrote:
In post 1525, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:
this is such a mood
Do you think I’m not trying.
I look at your iso and i find it extremely hard to believe that you are "trying" to kill doctor drew
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

-Norwee
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note

Post Post #1533 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:14 pm

Post by Bell »

That’s putting words in my mouth.
But I mean
You just say whatever when you’re scum and we reach this point.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #1534 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:15 pm

Post by Firebringer »

Signal boosting .
Show
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

Joyboy
Joyboy
Goon
Joyboy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1535 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:17 pm

Post by Joyboy »

WHEN I FIRST STARTED SAILIN THE SEAS, I POURED MY HEART INTO IT!
BUT NOW I AM KING OF THE PIRATES! I GOT NOTHING TO PROVE TO ANYONE!
Joyboy
Joyboy
Goon
Joyboy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1536 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:17 pm

Post by Joyboy »

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #1537 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:18 pm

Post by Firebringer »

I want to see some dunnstral posting when I wake up.
Show

Joyboy
Joyboy
Goon
Joyboy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1538 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:19 pm

Post by Joyboy »

JUST BECAUSE OTHER PEOPLE DON'T PUT AS MUCH EFFORT AS YOU OR SHOW THAT THEY CARE AS MUCH AS YOU DOESN'T MEAN THEY AREN'T FORMIDABLE PIRATES!
LadyTerminallyOffline
LadyTerminallyOffline
she/her
Goon
LadyTerminallyOffline
she/her
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #1539 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:24 pm

Post by LadyTerminallyOffline »

I'm sorry Maid Cafe. You are right. I just....
Spoiler: Not super relevant to this game but emotions
I just... I guess I'm dissapointed? And very frustrated. It's been many years since I last played and I did a bunch of research on where the best site to play for a more serious and "tryhard" experience could be found. The internet led me to believe that Mafiascum would be full of players whose play would fit that bill. Instead, I've got a game filled with at least one player who has decided they want to be a cringe anime role player, one person who has decided to troll me by sending me on wild goose chases to threads that are years old and not relevant, and so your statement about "I could give an accurate read but am choosing not to" just had me seeing red.

I guess this is on me for not doing more research as to the way that game is played here. I'm not really sure I'll stick around past this game, but I don't intend to replace out as I did pledge my time and investment and I will see it through.
Show
I don't want to subscribe to your new posts.

This is a Playstyle Alt (TM) of Cabd.

I don't meta and avoid being too personal or conversational on this one, instead playing more traditional questioner.
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note

Post Post #1540 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:26 pm

Post by Bell »

Am I an asshole for wondering if they just got carried away while acting out the equivalent of a hall monitor in a play.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #1541 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:27 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 1539, LadyTerminallyOffline wrote: I'm sorry Maid Cafe. You are right. I just....
I just... I guess I'm dissapointed? And very frustrated. It's been many years since I last played and I did a bunch of research on where the best site to play for a more serious and "tryhard" experience could be found. The internet led me to believe that Mafiascum would be full of players whose play would fit that bill. Instead, I've got a game filled with at least one player who has decided they want to be a cringe anime role player, one person who has decided to troll me by sending me on wild goose chases to threads that are years old and not relevant, and so your statement about "I could give an accurate read but am choosing not to" just had me seeing red.

I guess this is on me for not doing more research as to the way that game is played here. I'm not really sure I'll stick around past this game, but I don't intend to replace out as I did pledge my time and investment and I will see it through.
If you want a true try hard game, you will need to find a group of fellow try hard players. Any site you go to your going to find some players who don't take the game as serious as you. If you want to play a game with people on same wavelength got to get that selected players.

You also have to realize, you joined a large game (17 players is a lot). Lots of people in larges don't take this game seriously until later stages of the game.
Show

Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #1542 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:29 pm

Post by Firebringer »

I would suggest playing a mini normal instead of a theme if u want that experience here
Show

Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note

Post Post #1543 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:33 pm

Post by Bell »

My opinion is that we’re in the middle of a game of mafia and that everything said here needs to be taken with that in mind. Spoiler tags included.
LadyTerminallyOffline
LadyTerminallyOffline
she/her
Goon
LadyTerminallyOffline
she/her
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #1544 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:33 pm

Post by LadyTerminallyOffline »

Thanks. I"ll take that under advisement. I'd like to put a pin in that though, as it's not actively helping advance ANYONE's win condition here.

Instead, can we actively discuss Dunnstral's posting and body of work?

In post 1450, LadyTerminallyOffline wrote:
In post 587, LadyTerminallyOffline wrote:
In post 586, Bell wrote: not doing anything.
Is there any reason you did not bring up Sakura Hana in the same statement? (I understand giving Light a break as she is currently marked as on a vacation)
Jumping back in my own posting to find my starting point from the weekend. I feel like this is more relevant now. Did Bell ever elaborate on their answer about what "something" is and I missed it?
In post 591, Bell wrote:
In post 587, LadyTerminallyOffline wrote:
In post 586, Bell wrote: not doing anything.
Is there any reason you did not bring up Sakura Hana in the same statement? (I understand giving Light a break as she is currently marked as on a vacation)
They did
something
and I like them.
Rather other people like them and think well of them and yeah, V/LA. I don’t have partners, so it’s a waste of your time to fish for them, if you’re town.
The last part really does seem performative as well. A fade-away "If you're town" in the same vein as "I should throw shade just to show I am doubting this person" but I've been told that is me being biased since it's against me in point four of my case so just noting it here.
Also, I think unless I am blind this didn't get answered again?
Show
I don't want to subscribe to your new posts.

This is a Playstyle Alt (TM) of Cabd.

I don't meta and avoid being too personal or conversational on this one, instead playing more traditional questioner.
Joyboy
Joyboy
Goon
Joyboy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1545 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:34 pm

Post by Joyboy »

tbf this is probably the wrong game to /in with this account w/
Joyboy
Joyboy
Goon
Joyboy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1546 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:35 pm

Post by Joyboy »

if ffery has discords setup for spec/graveyard chats, then its very likely that my identity just gets exposed through that anyways so secret alting is kinda pointless lmfao
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #1547 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:40 pm

In post 1539, LadyTerminallyOffline wrote: I'm sorry Maid Cafe. You are right. I just....

well you did find the right place but large themes tend to be more memey and the player list matters a lot.

if you want a more serious playing experience probably try a smaller player list in open or normal as those tend to be less of a meme and more of a tryhard experience tho like I've seen pretty bad micros etc. its really a matter of what players you end up playing with.
Show
-MariaR

-Norwee
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #1548 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:42 pm

tho like JOAT upick is more towards the casual trolly side of the site in terms of like setup/mood
Show
-MariaR

-Norwee
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #1549 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:44 pm

Post by Ircher »

In post 857, Bell wrote: #10:
It's kind of weird you're posting thoughts from page 1 here.
Bell wrote: #13: Forth coming. cool. ~0.3 town points.
#20: This earned and then resulted in me retracting a town point. I was going to say the same thing but I was driving home at this moment, so I couldn't say shit. I felt bad.
Did you retract the point because you realized this was not alignment indicative or was there another reason?
Bell wrote: 39# Hmm. Dunno. Might be a thing they do I've never noticed or might be purposeful.
Huh?
In post 859, Bell wrote: 59# I fully explained my role later, I do think in general being quiet about the neighborizing part of my ability is the right thing to do as town, It's the kind of thing that players that I think are better than me would do. They'd probably not have been forthright about the claim at first, but we have disagreements about what it means to be town.

I'm going to make a note of this in case it proves useful later. (It's less a note on Bell's commentary and more so a note on the post Bell is referencing here.) It is interesting that Pooky references a bus driver in , and Bell later goes on to claim a "bus driver" role much later.
Bell wrote: 68# Hmm. Ircher changed positions on this later. From wait and see, to I think it has merit. I'd like to hear them explain what changed. I think it's fairly easy to explain away.

I wouldn't call it a position change. I was more discussing TemporalLich's previous post likening it to a miller claim. It was less a reveal of my own stance and more an attempt to get better insight into Harmony's stance. is just my interpretation of Harmony's original post on the matter. I do think with the subsequent role claims, I've given more weight to this due to this claim due to the way the claim progressed.
In post 861, Bell wrote: #120: Drew mentioning the obvious and then speculating that maybe they can talk to the mod about it. But Drew's played a lot of mafia, they know that won't fly so why are they even mentioning it or think that they would entertain it. It's stalling I guess, but it's kind of lazy stalling that I'm not sure they'd have the gall to do as scum. It annoys me though. But that, I think, is just Drew. They will likely only respond if they respond at all to the end of this post.
This feels overanalyzed. It's an obvious joke post, and trying to derive alignment from it is madness.
In post 863, Bell wrote:
Spoiler: Long Post
#125: Joyboy votes LTO, naked vote. there's a reason for it, but search me what the reason is or how they're hoping to come off.
#126: Pooky does the associative thing it's very normal Pooky. It's pretty typical for them to scum bin one player and keep saying they're scum and then poke around and make associative with other players accusing their bin target and someone else of being scum together or saying so and so can't be partners with the bin. I never really got what Pooky gets from it, but they do it as either alignment I don't remember them slam dunking with it, but it's an ingrained habit.
#127: I find this post by Ircher to be quite honest and helpful. 0.0002 town points. Not sure if they should have also done more there but whatever.
128#: This is my preference for how to word a question to someone I'm curious about. But it shouldn't mean a town point just because it hits what I like.
#129: Brocoli reading from the town manual. Walk the walk or simply talking the talk? Bleh I cringe just writing that, but it gets my thought across.
#130: Pooky explained this to me so I feel like I'm just religitating an old point about negativity, I think they explained that they'd rather die than behave toward certain people in certain ways, so this is just buddy not-AI pooky. They will glump onto you and make you a Pooky Puppet, but there's kind of a weird ethos attached to the manipulation which makes it murky. Or at least, I genuinely don't think I could or should go after them for buddying people.
131#: Consistent with a later posts/reads. From titus, they voted Joyboy here. Nothing really concrete, I think their argument is on the tin, that they think they're being anti-town or unhelpful, but they don't explicitly say that and use unwholesome as code instead. Indirect, don't think it means much.
#132: Maid entrance. Interesting choice of entrance lines since the usual is would you like food, a drink or me? Ufu. just spliced out. I guess I hate it because power dynamics. Let it not be said I don't ruin everything.
#133: LTO: This is a really good post and I could've written it. 1 town point. Maybe 2.
#134: Pooky cult post sucks more than I thought, but it might just have been bad timing on Pooky town's part. I know Pooky cares what LTO is doing. But they're going through the Pooky motions. Can't tell.
#137: maid votes Pooky. Makes sense to me. Not sure if they're paying attention to LTO, using LTO as cover for what they think seems like a decent place to start as scum on town Pooky, or if they agreed or say something else that Pooky did or were just responding to Pooky's request for Coffee. I find 1 or 2 to be more likely. It's maria and not Beeboy and Maria's a player that I think does well from my limited experience with them.
#141: This interaction feels kind of awkward but I think all I'll accomplish by saying it is slightly annoying Joyboy while getting no closer to their alignment. Also it's kind of clear they've played with a lot of us, and they outright hinted they've played with me before. so maybe this isn't awkward. It's actually, kind of hard to tell.
#145: Ircher helpdesk. NAI. Appreciate it though.
#147: FB's half joke/accusation of Maria is fine here. It might be just a misinterpretation of a theme, but there's really no harm in poking at Maria this way. Still kind of straightforewardish town play (sorry FB).
#148: Doctor Drew's tone is different than everyone's above. about this coffee and maid thing. Once again, don't know if it means anything. Maybe nerves, maybe clumsy, we all come up with things, some things that we come up with don't fit the shape of the social setting. Yeah. NAI, maybe think about it later.

Done for now.
I'm actually not sure if Bell would have the WIM to do this detailed of a PBPA as scum. I think I'm feeling better about the slot at this point, but I'm not 100% convinced yet.
In post 884, lemon.tangerine wrote: Also tree stump doesn't nor shouldn't last for the whole game. Only one day phase
I'm guessing you are basing off the advertised setup. I disagree that this is a reason for the treestump to be invalid; generally, the important part is when you can activate the ability not how long it lasts. This does however raise a slightly different point that either:
  1. Bell isn't claiming properly (because a treestump that activates on death on any day/night doesn't match the way JOAT's work)
  2. or the moderator gave out some non-JOAT powers.
I think option b is plausible just not what I was originally expecting setup-wise.
In post 892, lemon.tangerine wrote:
In post 891, Relativistic Harmony wrote:
In post 885, lemon.tangerine wrote: tbh wondering if its worth for me claim my modifiers or not due to a could reasons
if you want.
tho i'd recommend waiting until you're run up to e-1.
claiming too early will benefit scum.
~rh
ehh ill claim cause why not i suppose. I don't have anything exactly game changing

2 abilities

1-shot even night Soul-binding curse
p much i try to predict the nk, and pair them with someone of my choosing. So if one dies the other dies

1-shot odd night snoopy coworker

I learn all abilties of said person and know if theyve been used or not
If
you are true claiming, you would necessarily have to be town because as scum, the moderator might as well give you an extra kill instead. Well actually, I guess Traitor is also a possibility but not one I'm putting high stock into right now.
In post 912, Joyboy wrote: Bell - EASILY COULD BE A FELLOW PIRATE. I TOLD YA WAITING WOULD MAKE EVERYTHING BETTER! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Dunnstral - undetermined (I can't read the player LOL)
Maid Cafe (hydra of MariaR and Beeboy) - CREWMATE
HolySpiritTurtle - CREWMATE
Laplacian - CREWMATE
Hu Tao - FIGHT
Doctor Drew - CREWMATE
PookyTheMagicalBear - CREWMATE
Firebringer - CREWMATE
Sakura Hana - undetermined
LadyTerminallyOffline - FIGHT! NOTHING THEY DO WILL FOOL ME! (I think the best way for a player who is somewhat decent to fool other players on a site they've never played on before is over the top solving energy. If you put a lot of energy into appearing like you're solving but push villagers, people who never played with you will think you're a villager. This is mafia 101)
Relativistic Harmony (hydra of TemporalLich and RH9) - FIGHT (TL at this point might as well say he's voting me based on Policy. My main concern is they are going to hang onto this all game without actually caring about anything else, while looking like they care about things. I won't be able to read it because TL plays like a robot who only knows how to hunt using knowledge gained on wiki. RH will always be unremarkable and not valuable to me)
light_ganski - FELLOW PIRATE
lemon.tangerine - CREWMATE (best to practice wait and see since they claimed for ???)
Titus - CREWMATE
Ircher - CREWMATE
I strongly disagree with the Offline read but the rest look fine.
In post 915, Joyboy wrote:
In post 914, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote: if i havent sorted you yet and you think bell is town i am ready to talk about it
CAN BELL MAKE 160+ POSTS AS WOLF?
It's probably not too hard for Day 1 Bell. Bell isn't like Creature.
In post 973, Titus wrote:
In post 972, lemon.tangerine wrote: reads on ppl you havent talked abt is the simple answer
Like WHO?
Why do the specifics need to be spelled out here? Surely with some effort, you could figure out who you haven't talked about yet.
In post 997, Relativistic Harmony wrote:
In post 995, Bell wrote: Iso Drew and tell me they deserve to live that doesn't involve you being masons with them.
good opening in

is scummy but Drew has towny vibes regardless of alignment so not willing to scumread Drew for that

is a towny post

and has town mindset behind it

oh and is a medium risk play

Doctor Drew acts towny regardless of alignment so I kind of have to townread Doctor Drew because I have no mech or deepwolfiness to go off of.

pedit: welp nevermind, that's an associative

frick

-TL
For the sake of counterargument:

is perhaps a "good" opening but not really alignment indicative.

I agree is ever so slightly scummy for dereliction of vote ownership; however, I'm not sure why you are just handwaving over this aspect on vibes.

is a helpful post. That's not the same as a town post; scum can make helpful advice posts too.

I don't really see the "risk" in . If Drew is engaging, then he likely believes he can rebut any cases thrown his way as a result of that post. I don't disagree it is slightly more townie to engage, but again, I don't see the "risk" aspect to it.

Also, "acting" town isn't the same as being town.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!

Return to “Theme Park [Large Theme Games]”