Vote Count #1 of Day 1

Korts (2) <-~ roflcopter, popsofctown
Gamma (2) <-~ Netlava, Badguy
sekinj (1) <-~ Caboose
GIEFF (2) <-~ BlakAdder, ryan2754
Netlava (1) <-~ Korts
ryan2754 (1) <-~ EsoMonty

Not Voting (3) <-~ sekinj, GIEFF, Gamma

With 12 alive, it takes 7 votes to lynch!
[ooc][color=black]patrickgower2006 (8:12:03 PM): all beer tastes same to me
patrickgower2006 (8:12:07 PM): like dish water
If you see Patrick drinking dish water, please try and stop him. Friends don't let friends drink dish water.[/color][/ooc]
BlakAdder
BlakAdder
Goon
BlakAdder
Goon
Goon

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:32 pm

Post by BlakAdder »

unvote, vote:popsofctown

Logical fallicies ftl
Game Record (W-L-T)
Town: 1-2-1
Mafia: 1-2-0
Third-party: 1-0-0
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:37 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Netlava wrote:First person to vote me in random tends to be scum in past games. So I'm suspicious of Korts.
ooh, we got all sorts of powerful meta working for us!

So, do you self vote in random when you play scum? Because that'd be fascinating.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Netlava
Netlava
Mafia Scum
Netlava
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:59 pm

Post by Netlava »

Meta only applies when I'm town, of course.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 pm

Post by popsofctown »

:( you could MAKE it apply when your town if you wanted to be cool...

{every mafiascum players' inner child wants popsofctown to think he or she is cool}
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
roflcopter
roflcopter
Jack of All Trades
roflcopter
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:34 am

Post by roflcopter »

proposal: before the end of each day, we should hypo-doc and hypo-hider, claiming targets for the coming night.

what that means is we each make a statement of this nature - ¨if i am the doc, i´m protecting roflcopter¨

thoughts?
soi soi soi

wins: open 69 (townie), mini 592 (sk), mini 617 (mafia rb), open 102 (mafia lover), crackers! (doctor), mini 712 (doctor), mini 715 (townie), mini 770 (inventor), lynch all lurkers (townie), mafia 100 (mason), space mafia (neighborizer)
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:36 am

Post by Korts »

I endorse that plan, absolutely.
scumchat never die
Caboose
Caboose
Mafia Scum
Caboose
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:37 am

Post by Caboose »

roflcopter wrote:proposal: before the end of each day, we should hypo-doc and hypo-hider, claiming targets for the coming night.

what that means is we each make a statement of this nature - ¨if i am the doc, i´m protecting roflcopter¨

thoughts?
I endorse doc hypo claim.

Not so much for the hider.
BlakAdder
BlakAdder
Goon
BlakAdder
Goon
Goon

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:40 am

Post by BlakAdder »

What would this accomplish?
Game Record (W-L-T)
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:41 am

Post by Korts »

BlakAdder wrote:
unvote, vote:popsofctown

Logical fallicies ftl
Considering the amount of logical fallacies generally used in random voting, why pops in particular? I notice rofl, Netlava among others using clearly broken logic, yet you only point out pops.

DISTANCING ALERT

MAN YOUR STATIONS (alternatively woman them)

THIS IS NOT A DRILL

@Caboose, why not the hider?
scumchat never die
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:42 am

Post by Korts »

EBWOP: actually it's not distancing. I thought the scumteam was only two players, but since it's three, rofl-BA-Net seems more plausible derived from that.
scumchat never die
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:43 am

Post by Korts »

BlakAdder wrote:What would this accomplish?
Stupid question. If the weak doc/hider happens to target mafia and they die, we'll know who they targeted.
scumchat never die
BlakAdder
BlakAdder
Goon
BlakAdder
Goon
Goon

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:48 am

Post by BlakAdder »

True. Sounds like a plan.
Game Record (W-L-T)
roflcopter
roflcopter
Jack of All Trades
roflcopter
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:03 am

Post by roflcopter »

and if/when the doc or hider dies later in the game, we´ll immediately have a list of confirmed town players based on who that person targeted without dieing.
soi soi soi

wins: open 69 (townie), mini 592 (sk), mini 617 (mafia rb), open 102 (mafia lover), crackers! (doctor), mini 712 (doctor), mini 715 (townie), mini 770 (inventor), lynch all lurkers (townie), mafia 100 (mason), space mafia (neighborizer)
GIEFF
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
Internet Superstar

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:45 am

Post by GIEFF »

When hypoclaiming, it's optimal for no person to be "hypo-visited" twice in one night, correct? A rigid system (i.e. "visit" the person directly below you in post 1 on night 1, the person two below you on night 2, etc.) would accomplish that, but takes away any potential for strategic improvements, e.g. having a perceived-as-pro-town player hypo-visit a perceived-as-scummy player. At the same time, if we don't use a rigid system, we're prone to being manipulated by scum.

My thoughts are to have players pick their hypo-visit one at a time, in general order of perceived-as-town to perceived-as-scum. Is this a good idea? Is this how this is usually done in games like this?
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:48 am

Post by Korts »

I don't think restricting hypo-doc/hypo-hider claims is optimal play. Explain again how it would be bad for town not to, please.
scumchat never die
GIEFF
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
Internet Superstar

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:49 am

Post by GIEFF »

Korts, are you referring to the visit-every-player restriction? Assuming you are, my thoughts are that we want every player to be visited because it gives us the best chance of finding scum, as nobody will slip through the cracks. Also, the more hypovisits on one player, the greater chance the mafia have of killing the hider by nking the hypo-popular hidee. We also do NOT want the doc and the hider on the same person on any given night; it clears fewer townies and increases the likelihood of losing both roles at once.

Another question; should each player's hypovisit be done on a different player each night?

Is there an accepted optimal hypovisiting strategy someone can fill me in on, or are these discussions good ones to have?
Netlava
Netlava
Mafia Scum
Netlava
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:59 am

Post by Netlava »

I agree with the hypo-doc and hypo-hider plans.
Netlava
Netlava
Mafia Scum
Netlava
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:07 am

Post by Netlava »

Oh, and to add to that, I also agree with GIEFF's rigid system.
ryan2754
ryan2754
Goon
ryan2754
Goon
Goon

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:29 am

Post by ryan2754 »

Sounds good to me. I dont have a preference either way right now, as this hypo thing is new to me. Ill go with whatever everyone else thinks is optimal.
Show
Town: 3-4*
Scum: 2-1
SK: 0-1
Unlynched.
"Noone can deny that the Ryan, from now on known as "Bullseye", accomplished an amazing feat. Nightkilling 2 mafia roles on the first 2 nights. He deserves to win." - Alexhans, Mini 829, Town Loss
GIEFF
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
Internet Superstar

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:16 am

Post by GIEFF »

Netlava wrote:Oh, and to add to that, I also agree with GIEFF's rigid system.
I actually don't think a completely rigid system of the type I mentioned earlier (picking the person x spots below you on the list, where x is the day number) is the best choice, because it limits the potential to make strategic improvements.

I've never played this setup before, so any advice from those who have would be welcome.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:05 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I'm pretty sure no one's played this setup before GIEFF.

There's alot of variables here with this hypo-targetting. Let's try to work out a good plan, and maybe we can figure out who's scum based on who starts hissing over details.

I don't see why rigid is going to be the best, flexible can be better. I don't think we need to worry about scum undermining the strategic plan, that about as plausible as scum convincing us that gambler's fallacy is true and that we should lynch Korts- everyone can see that's not true. And if scum suggests that x should definitely target y, it will be the same kind of open, bad reasoning, the town isn't going to approve it.

I think doing separate hypo targetting for weak doc and weak hider could be beneficial. Making a strategic change for a very townie player to be double hypo targeted by weak doc could be good (more likely protection for a good little boy), making a strategic change for a very townie player to be double hypo hided could be very bad (more likely double kill since the mafia naturally wants to kill obvtown).
"Well, I..."
GIEFF
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
Internet Superstar

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:17 pm

Post by GIEFF »

I agree that fully rigid is not best, pops.

If there is no accepted-as-optimal hypoclaim strategy, let's try to make one. Here are the four main questions I see:

1. Should every player be hypo-targeted each night?
  2. Should Player X hypo-target a different person each night than Player X targeted on previous night??
  3. Does the order of who hypo-claims when matter, and if so, how should it be determined?
  4. Should we hypo-claim for both doctor and hider?

Here are my thoughts. Please let me know if you disagree with any points, think I missed some pros or cons, or just re-post the whole thing with your own new pros, cons, and thoughts.

1. All players hypo-targeted each night.

Pros
  • Ensures no mafia slip under the radar by not being targeted
  • Limits the potential for a mafia double-kill (as the more hypo-targets on a given player, the more likely one of them is to be the hider)
  • Helps disguise the power roles, as hypo-targets will be similar to real-targets with respect to duplicating targets
Cons
  • Limits power roles' ability to do what they feel is strategically best. If the hider or weak doctor is always the first to hypoclaim, that will become obvious to scum, and if they are not first, their choices become more limited.
I'm in favor of this one, although not as strongly as #2. The worst things that can happen for town is the hider or weak doc dying in a way OTHER than mis-visiting a scum, as this does not implicate a scum, and may implicate an innocent. Anything that can prevent that is good.

2. Every player hypo-targets a new player each night.

Pros
  • Increases the chance that the hider or weak doc will reveal scum.
  • Helps disguise the power roles (especially the doc), as hypo-targets will be similar to real-targets with respect to target-hopping.
Cons
  • Limits power roles' ability to do what they feel is strategically best. If the doc wants to visit the same person in order to ensure he stays alive (and that his protective powers are being used on a townie), he will not be able to.
  • Increases the likelihood of the weak doctor mis-visiting. I'm assuming the hider mis-visiting is pro-town (especially if it comes later in the game), but the doctor mis-visiting is less clear. There is the investigative benefit to his death (i.e. cleared townies and busted scum), but we lose his protective ability in the process, as well as the potential to clear future innocents.
I like this one. It increases the investigative power of the power roles, and without it, the weak doctor would be easier to spot, which is very bad for the town, as mentioned in point 1.

A key question here is if we think the weak doctor mis-visiting is good or bad for the town. I think that if a weak doc death can clear one innocent while implicating one scum, a misvisit it's worth it, which would imply that a night 2 doc misvisit actually helps the town.

3. Does the order of poster hypoclaims matter?

If we decide to follow point 1, it would be to the power roles' benefit to allow them to choose first, as this gives them the greatest personal choice. However, if they always choose to go first, the scum will pick up on this, and be able to deduce a power role.

At the same time, we don't want to have a pre-set order, as we may end up randomly forcing a power role's hand if that power role has to choose last. I think the best strategy is just to let people hypo-claim whenever they want, to give power roles as much freedom as possible.

4. Should we hypo claim for both power roles?

Yes, I think the double hypo-claim is best; it ensures we have a "trail" of innocents to look back on when either power roles mis-visits. Caboose, you said you think hypo-doc claims are good, but hypo-hider claims are bad; why?

Here is a template if you want to respond in the same way as I have; just copy all the text below and paste it into a new reply, filling in the blanks

Code: Select all

[b]1.  All players hypo-targeted each night.[/b]
Pros
[list][*]
[*]
[/list]
Cons[list]
[*]
[*]
[/list]

[b]2.  Every player hypo-targets a new player each night.[/b]
Pros
[list][*]
[*]
[/list]
Cons[list]
[*]
[*]

[/list]

[b]3.  Does the order of poster hypoclaims matter?[/b]

[b]4.  Should we hypo claim for both power roles?[/b]
Gamma
Gamma
Goon
Gamma
Goon
Goon

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:22 pm

Post by Gamma »

Shit! Forgot this game even existed. At this point, I'm fine this whole hypo-doc strategy and whatever, but guys, I'd rather not
completely
lose this entire day to metagame discussion. There are still scum to lynch
and townies to mislynch
V/LA until I get a new computer
BlakAdder
BlakAdder
Goon
BlakAdder
Goon
Goon

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:28 pm

Post by BlakAdder »

I say that everyone should be able to hypo-target anyone that they want. Restricitng only limits the power roles' abilities.
Game Record (W-L-T)

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”