ITT we make fun of Amercan education

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
ShadowLurker
ShadowLurker
9 years old
ShadowLurker
9 years old
9 years old

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:44 pm

Post by ShadowLurker »

are you homeschooled?
:sadtorch Ken Hoang, A.D/Fuzzie, Cameron Ferris, Taj Johnson-George, Annie Duke, Patti Blagojevich, Maria/Tiffany :sadtorch
:torch Tammy/Victor, Dan/Jordan
Cybele
Cybele
Goon
Cybele
Goon
Goon

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:51 pm

Post by Cybele »

Weep not for me, for I am dead.
Last edited by Cybele on Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:52 pm

Post by Adel »

ShadowLurker wrote:are you homeschooled?
nope.
American public schools + private college + lifelong learning meme.
Last edited by Adel on Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chenhsi
chenhsi
Goon
chenhsi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:52 pm

Post by chenhsi »

Cybele wrote:
chenhsi wrote:
Cybele wrote:
chenhsi wrote:What are consumer-level math courses?

I wouldn't be surprised if there are seniors in my high school who have a Grade 5 reading level.
Learning how to do your taxes and identifying the dates of holidays. Stupidest math course ever.
Umm...that needs learning? How many people are in that class, and what grade are they???????????????????

Why the heck does that class exist?
I don't know. My school offers 3 math courses starting from Grade 10: Pre-Calculus, Applied Maths and Consumer.
Applied was basically Pre-Calc, but taught on a 'learn this formula' basis only and with graphing calculators, as opposed to actually understanding why you were doing what you were doing, its application etc.
Consumer was basically (as I said) learning how to do your taxes and a whole lot of shit I learned (and remembered) in Grade 7. These classes went until Grade 12. Needless to say, seeing as I wasn't completely math-retarded, I took Pre-Calc. Everything I know about Consumer I heard from my friends who took it.
I feel SO sorry for you. Come to EPGY!
I lost the game.
ShadowLurker
ShadowLurker
9 years old
ShadowLurker
9 years old
9 years old

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:54 pm

Post by ShadowLurker »

that was directed towards chenhsi.

so would you agree with the assessment that some people are not susceptible at all? or do you believe everyone is susceptible and that company is just trying to cover its ass
:sadtorch Ken Hoang, A.D/Fuzzie, Cameron Ferris, Taj Johnson-George, Annie Duke, Patti Blagojevich, Maria/Tiffany :sadtorch
:torch Tammy/Victor, Dan/Jordan
Cybele
Cybele
Goon
Cybele
Goon
Goon

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:55 pm

Post by Cybele »

Last edited by Cybele on Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:55 pm

Post by Adel »

ShadowLurker wrote:that was directed towards chenhsi.

so would you agree with the assessment that some people are not susceptible at all? or do you believe everyone is susceptible and that company is just trying to cover its ass
I think that some people are susceptible but do not notice it, or rationalize their experience as being "normal".
chenhsi
chenhsi
Goon
chenhsi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:56 pm

Post by chenhsi »

Cybele wrote:PS- I went to school in rural Manitoba. That might explain a lot. Heavy conservative voting-base and a dying farming economy. Everyone listens to country and rap (at the same time), smokes weed or chews tobacco, and has never read a book beyond the Holy Bible (for those of whom actually read that much).
It was a living Hell for a bookworm, atheist vegetarian. Probably caused some lasting 'issues'.
Which is why you should haev joined EPGY.

SL: No, I am not home-schooled. I learn most stuff at home on the Internet though.
I lost the game.
Cybele
Cybele
Goon
Cybele
Goon
Goon

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:57 pm

Post by Cybele »

Last edited by Cybele on Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:57 pm

Post by Adel »

ShadowLurker wrote:
Adel wrote:I've been into producing hallucinogenic effects though rhythm, dance and meditative tricks for longer than you have allegedly been alive, so this is somewhat related to something I'm deeply into. The physical mechanism seem plausible. In my experience, altered states of consciences are difficult for most people to self-report accurately, so I may be less skeptical than you on this.
how would one go about measuring them then? physical/machine observance?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_r ... microscopy
or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional ... ce_imaging
might do the trick.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:21 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

chenhsi wrote: Why would you be in high school if you don't know your multiplication table?
:(

You'd be surprised.

Consumer math classes are the low level math, basically just trying to teach people enough math to balance a check book, figure out change, and such. Basically just trying to help people get the very basic minimum amount of math to allow them to get by in society.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Stewie
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:26 pm

Post by Stewie »

Personally, I don't think that's fair. There are many other polyatomic ions which are far more important, and I'd assume they teach these in high school (as they did when I was there), and not "tartrate" or "thiocyanate." The ones that are really important are ammonium, bicarbonate, phosphate, sulfate, nitrate and of course the many intermediates of metabolism, although those aren't taught until university (citrate, fumarate, maleate, gluconate, etc).

In short, you were asking about ions which were above his level of education... although he should know that T is not an element.
armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:35 am

Post by armlx »

he should know that T is not an element.
I think that's the joke.
Away Wednesday the 24th through the 31st
Stewie
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:45 am

Post by Stewie »

It seemed to me that he was also making fun of him for not knowing the chemical structure of tartrate.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:57 am

Post by Porochaz »

Adel wrote:chemistry hint: the more time you spend exchanging words with ShadowLurker, the less you will learn.

anyway, fuck rote memorization, just do enough reaction stoichiometry problems to have a working knowledge.
Rote learning is a learning technique which avoids understanding of a subject and instead focuses on memorization. The major practice involved in rote learning is learning by repetition. The idea is that one will be able to quickly recall the meaning of the material the more one repeats it.
Rote learning is widely used in the mastery of foundational knowledge. Examples include, phonics in reading, the periodic table in chemistry, multiplication tables in mathematics, anatomy in medicine, cases or statutes in law, basic formulas in any science, etc. Rote learning, by definition, eschews comprehension, however, and consequently, it is an ineffective tool in mastering any complex subject at an advanced level. However, rote learning is still useful in passing exams. If exam papers are not well designed, it is possible for someone with good memorization techniques to pass the test without any meaningful comprehension of the subject. However, learning the context of a particular topic can make the subject more memorable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rote_learning
This is what I said.
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:29 am

Post by Porochaz »

I laughed at JDodge when he said he was homeschooled then I learnt about the education system in america and feel that its the best way to learn in america. (for parents who have some semblence of an education)

I memorised the periodic table in order off of this song http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YJjJBs2OF ... re=related I know there random in the song but I change the words. Thats right, I change the words. Im the bad boy of chemistry. I also put aqueous waste in the flammable waste today. Everyone has white lab coats, I have blue. Thats right I have a fucking blue lab coat. Dont mess with me bitches.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:44 am

Post by shaft.ed »

Porochaz wrote:I laughed at JDodge when he said he was homeschooled then I learnt about the education system in america and feel that its the best way to learn in america. (for parents who have some semblence of an education)
which is kind of a catch-22
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:49 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Porochaz wrote:I laughed at JDodge when he said he was homeschooled then I learnt about the education system in america and feel that its the best way to learn in america. (for parents who have some semblence of an education)

I memorised the periodic table in order off of this song http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YJjJBs2OF ... re=related I know there random in the song but I change the words. Thats right, I change the words. Im the bad boy of chemistry. I also put aqueous waste in the flammable waste today. Everyone has white lab coats, I have blue. Thats right I have a fucking blue lab coat. Dont mess with me bitches.

Pfft. Mine's Red and Purple :P
The Newbie Queue ALWAYS needs ICs and Mods!

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:51 am

Post by shaft.ed »

Vel-Rahn Koon wrote:

lab coats are for pussies
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:53 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

shaft.ed wrote:
Vel-Rahn Koon wrote:

lab coats are for pussies

lol. You've never been to my
derelict shithole
lab.

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:01 am

Post by PokerFace »

Raise your hand if you successfully organized a way for you and 5 others to cheat all the way through at least one difficult course.
<<Raises hand

Raise your other hand if you were never caught and graduated in tops of class
<<Raises other hand

Raise your foot if you ironically were able to learn the material simply because you situationally remeber how you got those answers and learned the questions ahead of time.
<<Raises foot

I don't really think much is wrong with our education. Some classes are real hard and some students forget the last stuff they cramed for in order to be able to learn the next stuff. And some class don't throughly teach or reach the students but there are some amounts of recomended knowledge that still gets passed on. Only class I cheated in wasn't a part of my major anyway so no big deal. I suppose our education could use less classes like that but they did teach me a few things I eventually did use for outside stuff so all is well
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:06 am

Post by Porochaz »

Vel-Rahn Koon wrote:

Im the bad boy of chemistry, not a hippy, I would be wearing a black leather lab coat and smoking with shades on if it wasnt breaking almost every rule in the lab. I also walk into people yelling "you aint the boss of me, man!"
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:08 am

Post by shaft.ed »

Porochaz wrote:
Vel-Rahn Koon wrote:

Im the bad boy of chemistry, not a hippy, I would be wearing a black leather lab coat and smoking with shades on if it wasnt breaking almost every rule in the lab. I also walk into people yelling "you aint the boss of me, man!"
what rule does a black leather lab coat break?
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:10 am

Post by Porochaz »

Its not flameproof or that resistant when it comes to corrosive chemicals and it gets sweaty. Im betting it also looks like something out of a sex shop as well...
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:40 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

yeah, I'm thinking those crappy poly/cotton lab coats we have aren't all that flame-resistant or corrosive resistant anyway. The sex shop thing is kind of a deal breaker for me tho...

Return to “General Discussion”