Newbie 727: Game Over, Town Wins!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Thok
Thok
Disgrace to SKs everywhere
Thok

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:46 pm

Post by Thok »

Official Vote Count

Burb (3): (broncofaninmd, Ropis, LACivilian)

broncofaninmd (1): (Burb)
LACivilian (1): (Sotty7)
Spinach (1): (BlitzBall)
ameyarahane (1): (hasdgfas)

hasdgfas (0):
BlitzBall (0):
Ropis (0):
Sotty7 (0):

Not Voting (2): (Spinach, ameyarahane)

With 9 alive, it's 5 to lynch.

Prodding ameyarahane, blitzball, broncofaninmd, Ropis, and Spinach (everybody who last post was Friday or earlier.)
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
ameyarahane
ameyarahane
Townie
ameyarahane
Townie
Townie

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:16 pm

Post by ameyarahane »

Burb wrote: I've learned a bit on what not to do, therefore this game is not a waste.
Seems like a last-ditch attempt to save your back. Things getting kind of desperate here it seems.
Burb wrote: All you have to ask yourself now is whether that it was a scummy act or simply a stupid one.
I would have passed it off as being simply stupid (I do stupid things all the time), but the speed at which you retracted and became defensive and now desperate somehow makes me suspicious of you.
├óÔé¼┼ôSometimes I lie awake at night, and ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.'├óÔé¼
Ropis
Ropis
Townie
Ropis
Townie
Townie

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:29 pm

Post by Ropis »

OK, I’ve just been prodded and since I don’t see any requests for prods in the thread I have to assume that it was a mass prod - which is understandable, seeing as only 3 of the 9 of us have more than 5 posts so far (and regrettably I am not among them, despite my early assertion that “a lack of participation leads to lack of information gain, which is bad for the town.” )

So, what is the best way to generate some discussion? How about some scum lists? Here’s mine:

Scummy:

Burb (see post 51 for reasons)

Slightly
Scummy:

Ameyarahane – Not a lot to go on here, but I dislike post 76. While I agree with his conclusion that Burb is acting scummy, I disagree with his method of accusation. Accusing somebody of acting “desperate” and “defensive” is hard to argue against, and so it does not generate meaningful conversation (and it’s not even really a scumtell in my opinion as townies can be desperate and defensive too). It seems more like he’s trying to feed the wagon without jumping on it, or possibly see if he can get one more vote on Burb so he can hammer. Coupled with post 52 where he FOS’d Blitz while Blitz was taking heat but left his random vote in place it could be a pattern. On the other hand, maybe he didn’t feel Burb deserved to be at L-1 yet and was pushing him a little more – like I said, there’s not a lot here. This is really all just
maybe
’s and
could be
’s, but the post rubbed me the wrong way so I figured I’d get it out there.

No read yet:

LACivilian (3 posts)
broncofaninmd (3 posts)
Spinach (5 posts)
BlitzBall (5 posts)

Townish:

hasdgfas (IC) Solid Scumhunting efforts so far. Somewhat aggressive, but I respect aggressive because sometimes scum need to be pushed before they’ll trip, and I don’t think any of his accusations have been baseless.

Sotty7 (IC) Seems to be approaching the game with a level head, occasionally pushing other players but careful not to be too hasty.

Hmm… I didn’t realize until putting this list together that the only two players I have started to trust are the ICs, and I have to admit I’m a little bothered by it. In general I would think that “Follow the IC’s” is a recipe for disaster, as they are just as likely as the rest of us to be scum, and would likely be better at “playing town”. Of course that’s WIFOM, because if we assume that they are better players and ARE town then it stands to reason that they would stand out as townish earlier. Regardless, what I wrote above remains my best read on them, despite the fact that it leaves me a little uneasy. I’m certainly not willing to bet the game that neither one is scum at this point, but I think we have better suspects currently and 2/3’s of a town not speaking.

As for myself I will try harder to participate regularly rather than throw up a giant post every few days – sorry all.
SanDimasHighSchoolFootball[i]RULES![/i]
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:00 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

LACivilian wrote:Honestly, I think the conversation which occurred focusing on Blitz led by Has was sort of pointless. If Blitz wanted to ask questions it fits in perfectly with the tone of a newbie type game.
It smacks me as blatant overthinking to find a hidden meaning behind his simultaneously random voting and posing questions.
Maybe Has just needed someone to focus on and blitz said enough to find something to latch onto.
LA, what do you think the game of mafia is all about if not finding hidden meanings behind what people say?

Also, do you really believe that me making a real vote so early and then going after someone like that is "pointless"? If so, why?
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
ameyarahane
ameyarahane
Townie
ameyarahane
Townie
Townie

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:04 am

Post by ameyarahane »

Ropis wrote: I disagree with his method of accusation. Accusing somebody of acting “desperate” and “defensive” is hard to argue against
Im not finding him suspicious
because
he is defensive / desperate, but because of the manner in which he changed his tone, as if he's a sure lynch. Also,
Burb wrote: But well, it's nice to know that I'll be able to join more games than one if I die.
I didn't quite like the way he is just giving up.
Ropis wrote: Coupled with post 52 where he FOS’d Blitz while Blitz was taking heat but left his random vote in place it could be a pattern.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe FoSing is not a big deal? IMO, a FoS only indicates suspicion. Others can help strengthen the suspicion or point out why it shouldn't be so.
Ropis wrote: It seems more like he’s trying to feed the wagon without jumping on it, or possibly see if he can get one more vote on Burb so he can hammer
I wouldnt be so stupid to just "hammer" the last nail on Burb's "coffin" if that be the case. But at the same time, if I believe Burb to be scummy, I wouldn't mind being the one to cause a lynch / put him at L-1.
├óÔé¼┼ôSometimes I lie awake at night, and ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.'├óÔé¼
Ropis
Ropis
Townie
Ropis
Townie
Townie

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:20 am

Post by Ropis »

ameyarahane wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe FoSing is not a big deal? IMO, a FoS only indicates suspicion.
It's true, FoS only indicates suspicion, but like anything else in this game we have to interpret the motivation for using it. It is a fairly common move for scum to cast around a lot of FoS's early so they can jump on a wagon forming later and be able to point back at the FoS as indication that they aren't wagon hopping, rather that they have in fact suspected the player the whole time.

I think the best use of FoS is basically saying "I have my vote on the person I think is scummiest right now, but if I had another vote it would be on so-and-so. I want to make sure the rest of the town knows this in case I'm NK'd tonight."

ameyarahane wrote:the speed at which you retracted and became defensive and now desperate somehow makes me suspicious of you.
So you find Burb suspicious...
ameyarahane wrote:if I believe Burb to be scummy, I wouldn't mind being the one to cause a lynch / put him at L-1.
...but not scummy? Could you reconcile these posts for me please?
SanDimasHighSchoolFootball[i]RULES![/i]
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:08 am

Post by hasdgfas »

amey wrote:Im not finding him suspicious because he is defensive / desperate, but because of the manner in which he changed his tone, as if he's a sure lynch.
ok, so you're suspicious of him and you say this:
amey wrote:But at the same time, if I believe Burb to be scummy, I wouldn't mind being the one to cause a lynch / put him at L-1.
But you're not voting for him. How do these two statements make sense together?
Spinach
Spinach
Goon
Spinach
Goon
Goon

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:21 pm

Post by Spinach »

FOS: Burb

Burb, it seems like you're giving up. Is this true? This seems very scummy to me, like scum breaking under pressure?
ameyarahane
ameyarahane
Townie
ameyarahane
Townie
Townie

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:13 pm

Post by ameyarahane »

hasdgfas and Ropis (not word to word) wrote: You find Burb suspicious but not scummy...
I am waiting for some more posts to be able to decide if I should vote him. I am waiting for others in the game to post and know what they feel too. LACivilian and bronco have voted Burb but havent been around much lately to help things here. Sotty has also not posted much.
hasgsfas wrote: How do these two statements make sense together?
Looking from your perspective, I appear to be Burb's partner in crime! :shock:
It is quite obvious Night-1 I won't be targeted because to half the town I already appear scummy, and most possibly I will be lynched Day-2, but I don't want to speculate. I just hope, that if Burb is lynched, he turns out to be pro-town!
Sotty7
Sotty7
That Damn Good
Sotty7
That Damn Good
That Damn Good

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:41 am

Post by Sotty7 »

Burb post 74 wrote:Reasons why I am not particularly upset
1) I understand, if not necessarily agree with the attacks on me.
2) I've learned a bit on what not to do, therefore this game is not a waste.
3)I'll be able to join other games, having completed my first noobie one. It's not as if I'm trying to get lynched on purpose; if I wanted that, I'd lurk a whole lot more. I'd rather live through this game and participate. But well, it's nice to know that I'll be able to join more games than one if I die.
The game isn't over. Heck the day is only really just getting started, there is no reason to just give up because people are climbing all over you. It's the nature of the game. Don't just stop playing suddenly because you happen to be close to a lynch, you are by no means the certain lynch for the day. At this point I am unsure what to make of your brazen giving up, you are right it does tend to happen more to townies than scum. That doesn't mean you are definitely town though. If you are telling the truth and just simply made a mistake then just get back on the horse and get back to scum hunting.

Looking forward to your lynch doesn't help you, and it
certainly
doesn't help the town if you truly are a townie.
ameyarahane post 76 wrote:Seems like a last-ditch attempt to save your back. Things getting kind of desperate here it seems.
Burb seems to be anything but desperate. If fact he seems eerily at peace with his wagon.
ameyarahane wrote:I am waiting for some more posts to be able to decide if I should vote him. I am waiting for others in the game to post and know what they feel too. LACivilian and bronco have voted Burb but havent been around much lately to help things here. Sotty has also not posted much.
Why does it matter what others think? If you find him scummy and have no problems putting him at lynch -1 then what is anyone else gonna say that would change your mind?
ameyarahane wrote:It is quite obvious Night-1 I won't be targeted because to half the town I already appear scummy, and most possibly I will be lynched Day-2, but I don't want to speculate. I just hope, that if Burb is lynched, he turns out to be pro-town!
Why are you speculating about night already? From what I see we don't appear to be close to a lynch at all. I'm guessing the quip about Burb flipping pro town was a joke, but still not good. Also why do you think if Burb does flip town (IF he is lynched) that would make you look better in the eyes of the town?

Unvote, Vote: ameyarahane

You seem to be doing almost what you accused Burb of doing. Talking about night kills and that you are assuming you will be lynched come day 2. Kinda sounds like giving up to me.
ameyarahane
ameyarahane
Townie
ameyarahane
Townie
Townie

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:44 am

Post by ameyarahane »

Sotty7 wrote: Also why do you think if Burb does flip town (IF he is lynched) that would make you look better in the eyes of the town?
I already mentioned why I felt so in the sentence prior to that. And anyway its either Burb or me on Day-1,
Sotty7 wrote: Why does it matter what others think? If you find him scummy and have no problems putting him at lynch -1 then what is anyone else gonna say that would change your mind?
I'm not sure I want to do that cuz I can't make up my mind yet.
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:47 am

Post by Thok »

Neither broncofaninmd nor Blitzball has picked up their prods. If they do not both by tonight, I'll start looking for replacements.
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:05 pm

Post by Thok »

Debonair Danny DiPietro replaces Blitzball, effective as soon as he posts in the thread. Still looking for a replacement for broncofaninmd.
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:59 am

Post by Debonair Danny DiPietro »

/effective.
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:03 am

Furthermore, let's get that useless old vote off Spinach.

Unvote
Sotty7
Sotty7
That Damn Good
Sotty7
That Damn Good
That Damn Good

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:59 am

Post by Sotty7 »

ameyarahane post 85 wrote:I already mentioned why I felt so in the sentence prior to that. And anyway its either Burb or me on Day-1
Not very well. Because people find both you and Burb suspicious they are thinking you are the scum team? Don't get me wrong, I wish mafia was that easy, but it very often isn't. Can you explain how you jumped to this conclusion?

Also why do you think it's either you or Burb on day one?

Welcome to the game Triple D!
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:50 am

Thanks Sotty.

Time to get a little analysis of my own going based off what I’ve read so far.

Leaning scum:
Ameyarahane –
It is quite obvious Night-1 I won't be targeted because to half the town I already appear scummy, and most possibly I will be lynched Day-2, but I don't want to speculate. I just hope, that if Burb is lynched, he turns out to be pro-town!
Already explaining away why he’ll survive the night and the absolutely bizarre sentiment that seems to lurk in here about hoping for Burb to go down and be revealed as town bothers me to no end. It’s just telegraphing a setup of Ameyarahane riding in afterwards on his white horse and directing traffic for the rest of the game. Something a townie would generally want to avoid, but puts scum right in the driver seat.

Worrisome because of lack of posts:
LACivilian
broncofaninmd
Spinach

Computer problems, real life interference or maybe simply lurking as strategy. If indeed the lurking is a distinct strategy and not a problem or mere laziness then it would suggest scum or power roles because there’s basically no advantage for ‘nilla townies to lurk.

Town:
Burb – Hear me out on this one. The casual acceptance of “inevitable” death is baffling and would be terrible posts from a townie, but it would be an absolute debacle from the scum perspective.

Hasdgfas, Ropis, and Sotty7 – All seem to be scumhunting nicely analyzing the interesting actions and reactions of Ameyarahane and burb.

That’s what I’m feeling now and looking it over I’m willing to go and…
Vote: Ameyarahane
broncofaninmd
broncofaninmd
Goon
broncofaninmd
Goon
Goon

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:51 am

Post by broncofaninmd »

sorry everyone, i am a state employee for maryland and have been working alot cause of the presidential inauguration. I would like to keep my spot, but if not able let me know thok
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:55 am

Post by Thok »

It looks like I don't need to replace bronconfaninmd for now.
ameyarahane
ameyarahane
Townie
ameyarahane
Townie
Townie

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:02 pm

Post by ameyarahane »

Danny wrote: Already explaining away why he’ll survive the night and the absolutely bizarre sentiment that seems to lurk in here about hoping for Burb to go down and be revealed as town bothers me to no end. It’s just telegraphing a setup of Ameyarahane riding in afterwards on his white horse and directing traffic for the rest of the game. Something a townie would generally want to avoid, but puts scum right in the driver seat.
Danny, first of all welcome!
Well, I'm not
hoping
for Burn to go down in fact I don't want him to go down right now, just that IMHO he was not defending himself properly and I thought he might get lynched. Some of my previous posts were
assuming
that Burb happens to go down, what I thought would be the case. The reason is that my earlier posts seem to align me and Burb too much and hence
if
he was lynched, and turned out to be a townie, I would seem less scummy.
Darn! Every post I make makes me appear more scummy! :?
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:47 pm

ameyarahane wrote:
Danny wrote: Already explaining away why he'll survive the night and the absolutely bizarre sentiment that seems to lurk in here about hoping for Burb to go down and be revealed as town bothers me to no end. It's just telegraphing a setup of Ameyarahane riding in afterwards on his white horse and directing traffic for the rest of the game. Something a townie would generally want to avoid, but puts scum right in the driver seat.
Well, I'm not
hoping
for Burn to go down in fact I don't want him to go down right now, just that IMHO he was not defending himself properly and I thought he might get lynched. Some of my previous posts were
assuming
that Burb happens to go down, what I thought would be the case. The reason is that my earlier posts seem to align me and Burb too much and hence
if
I understand you were likely dealing in a hypothetical and not literally wanting to see Burb lynched. But the underlying sentiment in this post is the same as the last; instead of looking for scum you seem more interested in looking for personal vindication. At this time my vote stands.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:52 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

ameyarahane wrote:
Danny wrote: Already explaining away why he’ll survive the night and the absolutely bizarre sentiment that seems to lurk in here about hoping for Burb to go down and be revealed as town bothers me to no end. It’s just telegraphing a setup of Ameyarahane riding in afterwards on his white horse and directing traffic for the rest of the game. Something a townie would generally want to avoid, but puts scum right in the driver seat.
Well, I'm not
hoping
assuming
if
amey, explaining what happened before and how scummy you've looked does absolutely nothing if you want to convince people why you shouldn't be lynched. Defend yourself from the accusations people have made instead.
Burb
Burb
Townie
Burb
Townie
Townie

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:38 pm

Post by Burb »

sotty wrote:The game isn't over. Heck the day is only really just getting started, there is no reason to just give up because people are climbing all over you. It's the nature of the game. Don't just stop playing suddenly because you happen to be close to a lynch, you are by no means the certain lynch for the day. At this point I am unsure what to make of your brazen giving up, you are right it does tend to happen more to townies than scum. That doesn't mean you are definitely town though. If you are telling the truth and just simply made a mistake then just get back on the horse and get back to scum hunting.
okaly dokes. I'll make an effort to maintain my previous level of activity and keep on hunting up till the end ;)
Spinach is gross wrote:Burb, it seems like you're giving up. Is this true? This seems very scummy to me, like scum breaking under pressure?
Giving up would be more like me voting for myself in a fit of spite. I did not mean to give the impression at any point that I didn't care about the game entirely, or that I WANTED to die. rather I was at peace with what seemed to be an inevitable lynching. I am/was being totally honest here (I'd rather win than stay alive to the end) in that they had valid arguments for my suspicious behavior. Yes, I was just being a dumb noob, but it's not as if I can provide concrete evidence of my motivations. At this point I refrained from cries of outrage or whatever, since that's as far as I could logically argue. Either people would lynch me or they wouldn't based on their own judgment.

Not exactly sure why you would call this in of itself scummy, when confronted with many other reasons to accuse me. Erratic as my previous behavior may have been, I thought that my last posts were fairly rational, and it seems odd to accuse me based on those posts. Would you care to elaborate on your finger of suspicion?
amey wrote: The reason is that my earlier posts seem to align me and Burb too much and hence if he was lynched, and turned out to be a townie, I would seem less scummy.
? The only time you've referenced me in your posts is to say I'm suspicious. No one's said that because we're both suspicious, then we share the same alignment. Like Sotty said, if only mafia were that simple. Seems almost like a fabricated excuse...
amey wrote: I just hope, that if Burb is lynched, he turns out to be pro-town!
Uhh, regardless of whether my alignment it makes YOU look suspicious, why would a townie ever want a mislynch? Even if you die, you still win with the town, and trading 1 for 1 with the mafia is a great bargain.

I'm not going to waffle here: amey seems the scummiest by far. However, I will withhold the L-1 vote so that he has a chance to adequately explain himself; after all, I had been given that same chance (thank you sotty).

Also, welcome debonair!
ameyarahane
ameyarahane
Townie
ameyarahane
Townie
Townie

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am

Post by ameyarahane »

hasdsgfs wrote: explaining what happened before and how scummy you've looked does absolutely nothing if you want to convince people why you shouldn't be lynched
I've not tried to explain in order to convice people that I shouldn't be lynched. I wanted to clarify what my perspective was, it wasn't a defence, just a clarification.
Burb wrote: Uhh, regardless of whether my alignment it makes YOU look suspicious, why would a townie ever want a mislynch? Even if you die, you still win with the town, and trading 1 for 1 with the mafia is a great bargain.
I don't want a mislynch, not by far. That is the reason I didn't want to put you at L-1. Just like you felt your lynch is inevitable, so did I. That is the reason why I assumed it would turn out to be so. I was selfish and a big noob. Something I have learnt by now.
Think more, speak less.

In my defense, if I were a mafioso, I wouldn't want to draw attention to myself. Im not
that
stupid. I would've been just lurking around being inconspicuous. Last thing I would want is to scream out "Hey look at me, I'm scum!". My aim was to bring out reactions from people and see how they fit together. I wasn't really worried about being lynched; if I could help identifying even one scum, it would be fine. Alas! It didn't go that way. Instead there are plenty of reasons why I appear scummier than anyone else. I've not given up hopes, but I do realise I am the weakest link, and I somehow it's better with me out than anyone else.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:22 am

Post by hasdgfas »

amey wrote:In my defense, if I were a mafioso, I wouldn't want to draw attention to myself.

WIFOM. No offense amey, but scum and town would both say that, so that's not a good defense.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”