[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:17 pm

Post by Adel »

Mr. Flay wrote:Lovers has been discussed to death - I've never seen you address the "Town must lynch unanimously two days in a row" problem.
That is probably because it isn't a problem. The town doesn't have to lynch unanimously two days in a row. The mafia goons are lovers, hence the name. The game can only last two days. If scum is lynched on either of those two days the town wins.

Is there a problem I am not seeing?
F&E&E&TOG is awfully swingy, assuming cross-kills go through. Fire and Ice is only borderline Normal, because of the way cross-kills go through.
I believe that swingy is an acceptable attribute for a game, especially an open game.

Fire and Ice was originally ok'd by Thesp, and it has been run three (4?) times now. Why the objection to it now? I don't think it would be hard to rewrite the mechanic and role PMs to make it appear more "normal". Is a lack of being "Normal" enough a problem you have with other setups?
Are you going to address the Empking's Alt problem?
While farside hasn't weighed in on why she put it in the queue, I am quite confident that it had more to do with JDodge's reputation and experience than a nomination by Empking's Alt.

I still maintain that JDodge's experiment was fraud, and has no business being part of a fair critique of the Open games system
What IS the current process, or is like Title Fairy?
it is like the Title Fairy... isn't it?
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:24 pm

Post by Adel »

SensFan wrote:
Mr. Flay wrote:Lovers has been discussed to death - I've never seen you address the "Town must lynch unanimously two days in a row" problem.
While I agree with you (and have raised the point), it's "Town must lynch unanimously once in two days."
an odd number of players in lylo
always
requires every extant townie to vote for scum. 4/4 townies are required for a successful day 1 lynch, but that (along with scum daytalking) is part of what makes up for the 60% EV and the nightless.
SensFan
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
Fortuna Ex Deus

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:31 pm

Post by SensFan »

Adel wrote:an odd number of players in lylo
always
requires every extant townie to vote for scum.
But the game doesn't usually START like that.
Adel wrote:4/4 townies are required for a successful day 1 lynch, but that (along with scum daytalking) is part of what makes up for the 60% EV and the nightless.
Like I said, I'm not positive its a problem (and happen to really like the set-up), but I figured it should be discussed anyways.
(11:04:10 PM) senspizzaline: That's actually my bold prediction for the year
(11:04:19 PM) senspizzaline: Miami finishes 2nd in the AFCE.
(11:05:35 PM) jhawk01b: my bold prediction for the year is that whoever wins the NFC West will have a winning record
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:40 pm

Post by Adel »

EBWOQ:
Adel wrote:
an odd number of players in
lylo
always
almost always requires every extant townie to vote for scum.
@ sens: adding a townie, removing the nightless, and possibly removing the scum daytalking, probably wouldn't change the balance much, but the night phase would stall actively a little, and the threat of NK would discourage some players from being highly active and as pro-town as possible during day 1.
SensFan
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
Fortuna Ex Deus

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:46 pm

Post by SensFan »

True. Further support for the fact that, whether anything is changed or not, the more opinions the better.
(11:05:35 PM) jhawk01b: my bold prediction for the year is that whoever wins the NFC West will have a winning record
Lord Gurgi
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:40 pm

Post by Lord Gurgi »

Korts wrote:I don't see what the big fuss is about. JDodge didn't really ruin anything, he just pointed the flaw out in practice instead of raising his concerns. I'm fairly sure that if he had done the latter he would have been ignored. And anyway, the setup he proposed was clearly designed to end quickly while still proving the point.

BTW I agree with shaft.ed. More tried and tested games, less experimental unless thoroughly discussed and approved.
This. Nobody listens to JDodge whining. Heck, I don't, but he's right startlingly more often than he's given credit for.
(11:26:07 PM) thesheamuffin: I'm counting gurgi because I would probably make out with him if I were drunk enough
Guardian
Guardian
Mafia Scum
Guardian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:49 pm

Post by Guardian »

Thanks Plum. Now in the right thread:

One Shot

3 Mafia
1 One-Shot Cop (may submit "no action" to preserve ability for later nights)
7 Townies

Day start, mandatory lynches and NKs.
Do not lynch me.
[wiki]Great Nibbler Takeover of 2008[/wiki]
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:00 pm

Post by Adel »

Lord Gurgi wrote:
Korts wrote:I don't see what the big fuss is about. JDodge didn't really ruin anything, he just pointed the flaw out in practice instead of raising his concerns. I'm fairly sure that if he had done the latter he would have been ignored. And anyway, the setup he proposed was clearly designed to end quickly while still proving the point.

BTW I agree with shaft.ed. More tried and tested games, less experimental unless thoroughly discussed and approved.
This. Nobody listens to JDodge whining. Heck, I don't, but he's right startlingly more often than he's given credit for.
Fuck that.
I
listen to JDodge. I really respect his mafiascum and scumchat knowledge and experience. When he disagrees with me, especially on the balance of small games and endgame theory, I learned to expect that he would probably end up being right. In the past I've been unusually (for me) willing to take his word for it. I feel disappointed and a little betrayed.

~~~

moving on, I think that there is a consensus that "
more tried and tested games, less experimental unless thoroughly discussed and approved
" is a good idea.

Additionally, I think that people who nominate games generally need to take better care of their babies and make sure those darlings get either get reworked into something usable or drowned in the river. I'm going to start withdrawing my ideas that I think have failed. I'm also going to try to give more feedback to other people's ideas and I'll probably going be a little more stingy about nominating games.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:03 pm

Post by Adel »

Guardian wrote:
One Shot

3 Mafia
7 Townies

why did you use the "mandatory lynches and NKs" part?
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:49 am

Post by Empking »

Adel wrote: ~~~
Nominate Carbon 14

2 Mafia Goons or Werewolves
1 Cop (Only gets guilty on Mafia Goon)
1 Seer (Only gets guilty on Werewolf)
3 Townies
?
Second
- This set-up is the win.
Plus, if you guys want to make a point, skip the walls, because everyone else in the game does as well. - Magister Ludi
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:09 am

Post by Korts »

Adel wrote:Impotence Mafia
Thanks for reminding me; after the game had started an inherent flaw occurred to me.

Impotence2 Mafia Goons
1 Mafia Roleblocker
2 Compulsive Blank Vigs (shoot blanks, kill never goes through)
1 Compulsive Vig
1 Pro-Town Roleblocker
5 Vanilla Townies

The blank vigs will, under most scenarios, know after N1 whether their kill can go through or not. This game needs more blockers, or a protective role.
scumchat never die
Empking's Alt
Empking's Alt
Mafia Scum
Empking's Alt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:12 am

Post by Empking's Alt »

Flay: Why shouldn't I be able to nominate set ups?
AdjectivePick needs
replacements.
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:23 am

Post by Max »

farside22 wrote:
Max wrote:
Wheels on the C9+2

2 Mafia (50% chance of 1 being Bus Driver)
0 or 1 Cop (50% chance of occurrence)
0 or 1 Bus Driver (50% Chance of occurrence)
5 to 7 town
What happens when both bus drivers target one another?
If you mean what happens when they both target the same two people, they go back to how they were.

Bus Drivers Can't Target Themselves
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:23 am

Post by Korts »

Guardian wrote:Thanks Plum. Now in the right thread:

One Shot

3 Mafia
7 Townies

I'd say either one more townie or cop head start would be better.
scumchat never die
Goatrevolt
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Pond Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:11 am

Post by Goatrevolt »

Korts wrote:
Guardian wrote:Thanks Plum. Now in the right thread:

One Shot

3 Mafia
7 Townies

I'd say either one more townie or cop head start would be better.
Cop head start wouldn't make a huge difference, being a 1-shot ability. Unless, of course, I'm missing something and optimal strategy involves a blind firing N0.

The town feels underpowered to me in this setup. I like the odd number of players, based on forcing a lynch + NK every night (makes things much cleaner), but I feel like a 1-shot cop is not enough town power to balance the ratio of scum-town. If mountainous is mostly balanced at 2:10, then I don't think a 1-shot cop is enough to shift the balance to 3:8. What about adding in a 1-shot watcher/tracker type role as well?
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:24 am

Post by Korts »

Goat wrote:Cop head start wouldn't make a huge difference, being a 1-shot ability. Unless, of course, I'm missing something and optimal strategy involves a blind firing N0.
I know. It adds a layer of thought for the cop; I was actually going to say night start first, but realized that with 10 players going into day 1 with 3 mafia it'd be mylo D2 with one mislynch.

I agree with Goat though that town is seemingly underpowered. But the concept is to have only one one-shot ability in the whole game bar mafia kills, as far as I understand--and an additional watcher/tracker would ruin the whole thing. So my idea is turn 1 mafia into vanilla townie, like so:

2 mafia
1 one-shot cop
8 vanilla townies

mandatory lynch, nk
scumchat never die
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:51 am

Post by JDodge »

Don't Cut The Blue Wire

2 Townies
1 SK
1 Mafiate
1 Bomb
1 One-Shot Bulletproof
Nightkills compulsory

This one should fix pretty much all of the issues of Red Wire while maintaining the basic concept, and in fact improve the basic concept greatly.
stream

ffxiv/speedrunning sometimes/other things?
Caboose
Caboose
Mafia Scum
Caboose
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:24 am

Post by Caboose »

I'm reluctant to nominate this.
somestrangeflea
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:24 am

Post by somestrangeflea »

JDodge wrote:
Don't Cut The Blue Wire

2 Townies
1 SK
1 Mafiate
1 Bomb
1 One-Shot Bulletproof
Nightkills compulsory

This one should fix pretty much all of the issues of Red Wire while maintaining the basic concept, and in fact improve the basic concept greatly.
TOO SOON.
SensFan
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
Fortuna Ex Deus

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:08 am

Post by SensFan »

Max wrote:
farside22 wrote:
Max wrote:
Wheels on the C9+2

2 Mafia (50% chance of 1 being Bus Driver)
0 or 1 Cop (50% chance of occurrence)
0 or 1 Bus Driver (50% Chance of occurrence)
5 to 7 town
What happens when both bus drivers target one another?
If you mean what happens when they both target the same two people, they go back to how they were.

Bus Drivers Can't Target Themselves
What if X is a Mafia Driver, Y is a Town Driver, and the following happens:

X targets Y, Z
Y targets X, Z

X targets Y, Z
Y targets X, W

X targets Z, W
Y targets V, W

X targets Y, Z
Y targets W, V

X targets Y, Z
Y targets Z, W

I think that covers all cases involving multiple Bus Drivers...
Guardian
Guardian
Mafia Scum
Guardian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:41 am

Post by Guardian »

Adel wrote:
Guardian wrote:
One Shot

3 Mafia
7 Townies

why did you use the "mandatory lynches and NKs" part?
I don't want NL-ing or NK-ing to be valid strategies.

I want there to be an odd number of players every single game day, that is a balancing factor in the town's favor -- a lower percentage of players will be required for lynches, so scum can manipulate lynches less.
Korts wrote:I'd say either one more townie or cop head start would be better.
I don't think another townie would be useful, I think that having an odd number of townies is better for the town than even. I also do not want to give someone the chance to completely screw over/unbalance the game by randomly shooting their one-shot cop ability on night 0.
Goatrevolt wrote:The town feels underpowered to me in this setup. I like the odd number of players, based on forcing a lynch + NK every night (makes things much cleaner), but I feel like a 1-shot cop is not enough town power to balance the ratio of scum-town. If mountainous is mostly balanced at 2:10, then I don't think a 1-shot cop is enough to shift the balance to 3:8. What about adding in a 1-shot watcher/tracker type role as well?
I have a couple of points... I've never really understood why 2:10 is supposed to be balanced. I've always wondered if optimal strategy there would be for one mafia to claim start of day 1. The remaining mafia member would have no one to tie himself to -- there are no links to look for. More links to look for between players is easier for town.

This game is like 2:10 except more balanced in the town's favor. There are more links to look for, and there will always be an odd number of players. Moreover, the one shot cop adds interests to the game. How long can he save it? Should he claim on an innocent (imo not necessarily, at least not immediately). Should he claim on a guilty (likely immediately, but saving it a day or two has merit). 3 scum also opens the door to scum counter claiming, which would add interest to the game.

The cop is the "one shot" at impacting the game positively, and there being one one-shot cop adds quite a deal of dimension to the game. Games in general are too complex. One power-role is enough to make for an interesting game.
Do not lynch me.
[wiki]Great Nibbler Takeover of 2008[/wiki]
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:49 am

Post by Korts »

Guardian wrote:I don't think another townie would be useful, I think that having an odd number of townies is better for the town than even. I also do not want to give someone the chance to completely screw over/unbalance the game by randomly shooting their one-shot cop ability on night 0.
Yeah, I realized after giving more thought to it that that probably was the concept. See post 165 for my revised suggestion. Although it's still an even number of vanillas, with the cop it's 9:2. You're right, cop head start's a bad idea on second thought... Day start should do it much better.
scumchat never die
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:34 pm

Post by mith »

I have a couple of points... I've never really understood why 2:10 is supposed to be balanced. I've always wondered if optimal strategy there would be for one mafia to claim start of day 1. The remaining mafia member would have no one to tie himself to -- there are no links to look for. More links to look for between players is easier for town.

This game is like 2:10 except more balanced in the town's favor. There are more links to look for, and there will always be an odd number of players. Moreover, the one shot cop adds interests to the game. How long can he save it? Should he claim on an innocent (imo not necessarily, at least not immediately). Should he claim on a guilty (likely immediately, but saving it a day or two has merit). 3 scum also opens the door to scum counter claiming, which would add interest to the game.

The cop is the "one shot" at impacting the game positively, and there being one one-shot cop adds quite a deal of dimension to the game. Games in general are too complex. One power-role is enough to make for an interesting game.
Er...

1. 2:10 isn't "balanced", it favors the scum EV-wise, but it's a compromise between game size, having a scum group rather than a lone scum, and balance. 35% is fair, since we expect the town to do better than the EV would suggest (so far they have done much worse, though the sample size is not yet significant).

2. I welcome you to try your strategy if we are ever in a 2:10 game, you are scum, and I am not... your suggestion would make it difficult on the town in that there would be much less to look for, but the swing in EV having one less scum is
huge
(a D1 scum lynch moves it from 35% to 59%).

3. If you think 2:10 is in favor of the Mafia, why on earth would you think that adding another Mafia and a one-shot Cop would swing the balance toward the town?

2 Mafia, a 1-shot Cop, and 6/8 Townies would be playable. Heck, I don't have a problem with games that are unbalanced every now and then; give the townies a real challenge sometimes. But 3 Mafia in a small game requires significant power to balance.
hohum
hohum
Uncle Potbear
hohum
Uncle Potbear
Uncle Potbear

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:39 pm

Post by hohum »

somestrangeflea wrote:
JDodge wrote:
Don't Cut The Blue Wire

2 Townies
1 SK
1 Mafiate
1 Bomb
1 One-Shot Bulletproof
Nightkills compulsory

TOO SOON.
Nominate
Caboose
Caboose
Mafia Scum
Caboose
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #174 (ISO) » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:03 pm

Post by Caboose »

hohum wrote:
somestrangeflea wrote:
JDodge wrote:
Don't Cut The Blue Wire

2 Townies
1 SK
1 Mafiate
1 Bomb
1 One-Shot Bulletproof
Nightkills compulsory

TOO SOON.
Nominate
Antinominate

I don't like how the town can win off of the mafiate and the SK killing each other. That doesn't really take any skill on the town's part.
Anything to solve that?

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”