Wheel of Time Mafia: Rip in the Pattern (GAME OVER)

Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:09 pm

Post by Seraphim »

You're right...it can't hurt.

However, that doesn't make it any more useless. We already know the scum will probably be able to lie. It seems like you're scum who just wants to look pro-town by making a useless call to declare townness.

Also, I have the town win condition and do not win any other way.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:20 pm

Post by MacavityLock »

Seraphim wrote:However, that doesn't make it any more useless.
That's fine if you want to think it's useless, but we had something to the effect of an eventual serial killer last game. I think there's a minuscule chance of this question being useful, and I'll take it.
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:06 pm

Post by Albert B. Rampage »

It was well into the day when man and beast finally entered the desolate village. A scrawny little boy had come to take Clarice to the stable for a few coins, and the traveler was now actively familiarizing himself with the locale. Wandering away from the market square at a rhythmic pace, a slight movement in one of the narrow alleys caught Abel's attention. It was a figure all too familiar to him, absentmindedly leaning against a wall, not knowing it had been spotted.

"Demon!" barked Abel rowdily.

The other man turned his head so fast it nearly snapped.

"Who do you..."

He paused apprehensively for a moment, and then stepped into the sunlight, revealing his blue eyes brimming with amusement.

"Abel," exclaimed this fellow in the sudden throes of laughter, "wipe that silly grin off your dirty face, will ya?"

"You should have seen it," the false aggressor laughed, "how you just wet your panties back there."

"I almost killed you, you know," the other informed with a straight face that lasted about a millisecond.

The two clasped their extended forearms in greeting.

"Its good to see you too, Moss."
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.
Moratorium
Moratorium
Mafia Scum
Moratorium
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:40 pm

Post by Moratorium »

So will you only be addressing us in prose, ABR?
Men's evil manners live in brass; their virtues we write in water.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:28 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

vote:macavitylock

I feel like you don't understand possible consequences of the whole town saying a certain phrase. Either that or you want them to.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Cyberbob
Cyberbob
Mafia Scum
Cyberbob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:35 pm

Post by Cyberbob »

Macavity, just because something "can't hurt" doesn't mean that it's something that is incredibly anti-town to criticise. The only people in this game that have any rules changed with regard to lying are going to be the Aes Sedai, and they're still going to be able to say that phrase.

So why bother beyond an attempt to make yourself look more townish for having suggested it?
tread softly because you tread on my dreams
daddy's little girl ain't a girl no more
"quasi-rape" --Vi
"real liberals" --Yos
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:44 pm

Post by MacavityLock »

hasdgfas wrote:
vote:macavitylock

I feel like you don't understand possible consequences of the whole town saying a certain phrase. Either that or you want them to.
I can only say that I don't understand what you're saying here.
Cyberbob wrote:Macavity, just because something "can't hurt" doesn't mean that it's something that is incredibly anti-town to criticise.
Whoa. I never said that it was anti-town for Sera to criticize me. I especially didn't say it was
incredibly
anything. Never FoSed, never voted. I was stating quite specifically why I thought it was a good idea, and that's all.
Cyberbob wrote:The only people in this game that have any rules changed with regard to lying are going to be the Aes Sedai, and they're still going to be able to say that phrase.
Also, how do you know they'll all be able to say it?

Random vote upgraded to real vote, more from the first quote, total mischaracterization of what I said, than the second.
Cyberbob
Cyberbob
Mafia Scum
Cyberbob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:56 pm

Post by Cyberbob »

MacavityLock wrote:Whoa. I never said that it was anti-town for Sera to criticize me. I especially didn't say it was
incredibly
anything. Never FoSed, never voted. I was stating quite specifically why I thought it was a good idea, and that's all.
I don't think it's a mischaracterisation of your Post 74 at all ("incredibly" was obviously just a bit of hyperbole) to see an implication that Sera is anti-town for having criticised your idea.
MacavityLock wrote:Also, how do you know they'll all be able to say it?
How many Darkfriends/evil types do you know of from the WoT world that are incapable of lying?
MacavityLock wrote:Random vote upgraded to real vote, more from the first quote, total mischaracterization of what I said, than the second.
that'll show me!!!!!1
"quasi-rape" --Vi
"real liberals" --Yos
armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:15 pm

Post by armlx »

I am going to be AFK for a good chunk of this weekend due to finals + Magic prerelease, so barring some unforseen outside circumstance I won't be able to read the thread until tomorrow evening at earliest.
Away Wednesday the 24th through the 31st
xxFabianxx
xxFabianxx
Goon
xxFabianxx
Goon
Goon

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:05 pm

Post by xxFabianxx »

Referring to the arguments pre-game, I didn't feel comfortable with people talking before, I think it only leads to people having bias before the game even kicked off.
We must have Aes Sedai in this game, partly because they were in the mini for testing and because their rules were listed in this game.

The scum know who the other scum are, and because of that it isn't difficult for them to work out who the Aes Sedai are through process of elimination if people are asked to tell the truth.
IF we must force people to answer questions, we need to stop asking stupid questions like "Are you scum?".

I'm not smart enough to come up with decent questions though...
Indubitable
julienvonwolfe
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:23 pm

Post by julienvonwolfe »

xxFabianxx wrote:Referring to the arguments pre-game, I didn't feel comfortable with people talking before, I think it only leads to people having bias before the game even kicked off.
So what do you think of those players who have played each other in other games?
xxFabianxx wrote:The scum know who the other scum are, and because of that it isn't difficult for them to work out who the Aes Sedai are through process of elimination if people are asked to tell the truth.
IF we must force people to answer questions, we need to stop asking stupid questions like "Are you scum?".

I'm not smart enough to come up with decent questions though...
I'm not sure that I follow your logic here. Why would asking 'are you scum' be so harmful? In addition, your method of roundly criticizing others yet not contributing any 'decent questions' yourself strikes me as decidedly scummy.
Seraphim wrote:You're right...it can't hurt.

Also, I have the town win condition and do not win in any other way.
I have the town win condition and do not win any other way.
Shadow Knight
Shadow Knight
Goon
Shadow Knight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:16 am

Post by Shadow Knight »

The only thing that asking the entire town to say a certain phrase will accomplish is to out any Aes Sedai that are here.

unvote, vote MacavityLock

This is not only a waste of the town's time, it can lead to outing town power roles while learning nothing about the scum. This is inherantly anti-town.
Show
House of Mirrors- Dead
Werewolves of MH- Dead
MKM II- Dead
Wheel of Time- Dead
Fantasy- Coney Island

Town/Mafia/SK/Cult/Oth 5/3/1/0/0
Win/Loss/Draw/Abandoned 4/1/0/1
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:18 am

Post by Seraphim »

Unvote
Vote: Shadow Knight
Cyberbob
Cyberbob
Mafia Scum
Cyberbob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:27 am

Post by Cyberbob »

Shadow, there is nothing inherently pro- or anti-town about Mac's idea. The only things I see being vaguely worthy of note about it are the question of whether he's only doing it to appear more townish and the implication in his rebuttal of Sera's criticism of it that Sera was being anti-town for having done so.

Neither of these things appear in your post. Either you're being daft or you're trying for an easy vote. I'm inclined to believe the former, but
FOS: Shadow Knight
just the same.

Since I might as well say it: I have the town win condition and do not win any other way.
"quasi-rape" --Vi
"real liberals" --Yos
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:47 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Mastermind of Sin wrote:Mr. Flay, why do you think Shadow Knight is an Aes Sedai?
I don't, actually (luckily sarcasm is a defense against violating the Three Oaths, so you don't know if I'm AS or not). But I think putting any information out there about who the Aes Sedai are is going to be immensely counterproductive - they already have to be careful not just to avoid giving themselves away, but also avoid violating the oaths outright and suffering whatever the punishment is for that. Vote stands, though, because SK is hopping around like a frog on acid.

To more directly answer your question, I think Shadow Knight is making the huge assumption that Aes Sedai would be our ONLY power role. The easy assumption from that is that he has or knows specifically about that role, and thus is tunneled on it. That's what I'm talking about when I say giving away who they are, and why MacavityLock's statement is equally stupid.
FoS: MacavityLock
- your idea has one primary benefit, and that benefit is detrimental to town. Answer this question: What role(s) do you hope to catch with this maneuver?
Shadow Knight
Shadow Knight
Goon
Shadow Knight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:58 am

Post by Shadow Knight »

@Flay- In retrospect, the vote on you should have been a FOS (which I would have removed once you posted 89. My vote on Macavity is for the exact same reason you're FOSing him.

And just to play along. I have the town win condition and can't win any other way that I know of.
Show
House of Mirrors- Dead
Werewolves of MH- Dead
MKM II- Dead
Wheel of Time- Dead
Fantasy- Coney Island

Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:35 am

Post by Faraday »

MacavityLock wrote:
By the way, I win with the town and I am not aware of any circumstance in which I do not win with town.

The above should be stated by every player in the near future.
This seems pointless.

It's not like darkfriend won't just, ya know lie. I don't see how this can help. However I also don't see a way in which it can be of any harm so:
I win with the town and I am not aware of any circumstance in which I do not win with town.
Tenchi wrote:
SpyreX wrote:I think assuming we're going to have the same setup is the start of a bad flavor argument.
I just want to reiterate this. The last time I assumed with the rest of town on how the current game could be similar with the last version was that it was full of stuff that just clouded our judgment. Then scum just capitalized on false information to push certain "way to play the game" that didn't help town.
Yeh I've read the mini, more-so out of interest than anything else.

I don't think we can be "OMGZ THIS HAPPENED IN THE MINI" as the game is obviously going to be different.

MacavityLock wrote:
Seraphim wrote:However, that doesn't make it any more useless.
That's fine if you want to think it's useless, but we had something to the effect of an eventual serial killer last game. I think there's a minuscule chance of this question being useful, and I'll take it.
How exactly would this phrase prevent the possibility of anyone turning into a serial killer?

I don't really see any harm in the question but it seems useless.

Shadow Knight wrote:The only thing that asking the entire town to say a certain phrase will accomplish is to out any Aes Sedai that are here.

unvote, vote MacavityLock

This is not only a waste of the town's time, it can lead to outing town power roles while learning nothing about the scum. This is inherantly anti-town.
:? Huh?

It 1) Doesn't out any Aes Sedai or 2) out power roles by getting people to do what he's saying. Explain where you're getting this from?

Vote Shadow Knight

To more directly answer your question, I think Shadow Knight is making the huge assumption that Aes Sedai would be our ONLY power role. The easy assumption from that is that he has or knows specifically about that role, and thus is tunneled on it. That's what I'm talking about when I say giving away who they are, and why MacavityLock's statement is equally stupid. FoS: MacavityLock - your idea has one primary benefit, and that benefit is detrimental to town. Answer this question: What role(s) do you hope to catch with this maneuver?
I would agree with his first part in regard to the assumption of Aes Sedai being our only power roles.

I don't understand how MacavityLock's idea is detrimental to the town though. To me it seems to have no real benefit to anyone, but also no harm.

Also I'm unsure of my acess over the next couple of days as I'm travelling home tomorrow and then back up to university again the day after and internet at home can be shaky at times.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Shadow Knight
Shadow Knight
Goon
Shadow Knight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:07 am

Post by Shadow Knight »

Its rather simple. Just because the sentence NOW doesn't out power roles or Aes Sedai, it doesn't mean that a sentence in the future won't. Starting down this path of "lets make everyone say the same thing" will only out the people who can't lie (Aes Sedai) later. How can you not see that?
Show
House of Mirrors- Dead
Werewolves of MH- Dead
MKM II- Dead
Wheel of Time- Dead
Fantasy- Coney Island

Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:19 am

Post by Seraphim »

Most likely, the Aes Sedai will find a way around any sort of direct statement. They do it all the time in the books, I'm sure that the Aes Sedai players will be able to as well.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:33 am

Post by Faraday »

Shadow Knight wrote:Its rather simple. Just because the sentence NOW doesn't out power roles or Aes Sedai, it doesn't mean that a sentence in the future won't. Starting down this path of "lets make everyone say the same thing" will only out the people who can't lie (Aes Sedai) later. How can you not see that?
Well I don't think asking everyone to post that one sentence will lead down such a path. I could agree that would be dangerous, but I don't see any danger in saying you win with the town.

Scum will lie when they say it, and everyone else will tell the truth.
julienvonwolfe
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:46 am

Post by julienvonwolfe »

Shadow Knight wrote:Its rather simple. Just because the sentence NOW doesn't out power roles or Aes Sedai, it doesn't mean that a sentence in the future won't. Starting down this path of "lets make everyone say the same thing" will only out the people who can't lie (Aes Sedai) later. How can you not see that?
I don't think we did this in the last game. We all claimed town and then figured out that it was a bit pointless.
Shadow Knight
Shadow Knight
Goon
Shadow Knight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:50 am

Post by Shadow Knight »

Unless someone has the ability to detect lies, yes, its pointless. But I don't like that we're doing anything that could out/harm the Aes Sedai that are here.

@Seraphim- and you don't think it will be a little obvious when players start side-stepping questions?
Show
House of Mirrors- Dead
Werewolves of MH- Dead
MKM II- Dead
Wheel of Time- Dead
Fantasy- Coney Island

Sajin
Sajin
Mafia Scum
Sajin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:33 am

Post by Sajin »

Still, how could this be bad for town?

Regardless:

I have the town win condition and cannot win any other way that I know of.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:38 am

Post by Faraday »

Sajin wrote: Still, how could this be bad for town?
Outing Aes Sedai would be bad for the town, surely?
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:50 am

Post by MacavityLock »

Cyberbob wrote:
MacavityLock wrote:Whoa. I never said that it was anti-town for Sera to criticize me. I especially didn't say it was
incredibly
I don't think it's a mischaracterisation of your Post 74 at all ("incredibly" was obviously just a bit of hyperbole) to see an implication that Sera is anti-town for having criticised your idea.
Yes, it was a leap, and it was trying to cast what I said in an
incredibly
scummy light. I was expecting to get criticism of the "this is useless" variety, and I wasn't going to use that as a scumtell.
Faraday wrote:How exactly would this phrase prevent the possibility of anyone turning into a serial killer?
It wasn't supposed to prevent anything, just create some early warning.

Anyway, after a night to sleep on it, I think I understand what hascow's and Flay's objections are, though I'm not 100% sure. (Everyone else's objections, especially Shadow Knight's, are crap.) I guess I'm fine with people not saying it, which by the way, means that no one should.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”