Best Role Ideas?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Elephant Hell
Elephant Hell
Townie
Elephant Hell
Townie
Townie

Post Post #275 (ISO) » Thu May 28, 2009 10:21 am

Post by Elephant Hell »

The Hitman wins if their targets die in any way at any time, not just by the Hitman's nightkill, so it's not terribly hard for them to win (if their targets die, they win even if they're dead). That's why I think it would probably be a good idea to make them lose if they nightkill a non-target (even then they're still pretty overpowered as you say, which would be counteracted by giving them a relatively large number of targets). I saw Alarmist here somewhere before (maybe even in this topic) and I think I saw something along the lines of Deprogrammer, but I was just mentioning them given that Cults came up a little way back on this page.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #276 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:59 am

Post by PokerFace »

I got a couple of interesting ideas. Best pro-town play for a miller is to get killed at night. These are 3 interesting roles to that end.
You are a Tortured Soul. Life has never been fair to you, and your troubled past continues to haunt you. You are seen as guilty by investigation. You win if you die at night. Good Luck
You are a Troubled Bodyguard. You regret the hardships you have caused others in the past. You want to make it up to everyone even if it costs you your life. You are seen as guilty by investigation. You may bodyguard one player at night. If they are to be killed at night, you will die instead. You win with the town when all threats to its safety have been eliminated. Good Luck.
You are a Wicked Bodyguard. You regret the hardships you have caused others in the past. You want to make it up to everyone even if it costs you your life. You are seen as guilty by investigation. You may bodyguard one player at night. If they are to be killed at night, you will die and so will their attacker instead. You win with the town when all threats to its safety have been eliminated. Good Luck.
If you want to suggest better names for any of these roles, I'd apreciate it.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
BridgesAndBaloons
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
Shea it ain't so!

Post Post #277 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:44 pm

Post by BridgesAndBaloons »

The Fonz wrote:What do people think about:

Wide Net Cop

Name three other players, and i will tell you how many scum there are in that group.

Ed: Just realised that this is game-breaking if the answer is 'none.' Darn.
I was thinking more like

Wide net Cop

Each night you send me a different nonconsecutive number of players (not including yourself) greater than 2. If you cannot do this, then you don't have a night action. I will then tell you if the total number of pro-town win conditions in those players is even or odd.

For example, first night sends 4 names (3 town, 1 scum = odd)
second night 6 names (3 Town, 2 scum, 1 survivor = odd)
third night 5 names (4 town, 1 Jester = even)

ect.

This is a role that becomes more and more powerful as the game goes on, obviously.

The reason why I did nonconsecutive is because a player could theoretically pick x players, then x+1 and if the answer changes, that person is confirmed town.
Signature:
[size=84]This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit[/size]
BridgesAndBaloons
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
Shea it ain't so!

Post Post #278 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:46 pm

Yosarian2 wrote: I came with this alternate design.
You are a
suicide-cult leader

Each night, if you choose, you may recruit someone else to join your cult. If at any point anything happens to you, one of your recruits will become the new cult leader (in the order they were recrited in.)

However, if at any point 3 members of your cult die for any reason, then, as per the ancient prophecy, all members of your cult will commit suicide.

You may talk with the members of your cult at night, and they may talk to each other at night. You win when everyone left in the game is in the cult, or nothing can prevent the same.
BRILLIANT!!!

Do I have your permission to try to design an open setup with this role?

(Open setup because Cults have no place in a closed setup).

edit: imo of course. I guess it could work.
Signature:
[size=84]This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit[/size]
ElectricBadger
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #279 (ISO) » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:52 am

Post by ElectricBadger »

For a No Reveal game:

Funeral Director:
You care for the dead, attending to the deceased and their family at a time that gives particular insight into an individual's life. When a player is killed (either lynched or murdered at night), you will discover their alignment and role. You win with town.
ElectricBadger
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #280 (ISO) » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:30 am

Post by ElectricBadger »

The roles I have planned for an upcoming game on another site:

Mad Scientist (T):
You prowl the night violating graves and looking for wounded townspeople for your foul experiments. At night you may choose any player; if they are killed during the night or during the next day’s lynching you recover the body and reanimate it, bringing the player back to life (their information is not revealed). Past attempts have had…small repercussions, admittedly, but that should hardly stop you. Each time your target dies, it takes a full night to prepare your lab for a new reanimation. Furthermore, you have a henchman: Igor is known to you to be working for the town, and must obey all your commands – you can communicate in private during the night. You win with town.

[Moderator Only: Any player that is brought back to life is consumed with rage at their condition. They gain the ability to make a single night kill, and must attempt to do so each night until successful (and may not make any other night actions during this time).]

Igor (T):
You are a loyal servant to the Mad Scientist, and you are known to one another to be working for the town. He thinks you must obey all his commands, which is simply proof of his insanity. You can communicate in private during the night. Furthermore, your hideous, misshapen form is resistant to damage: you will undoubtedly survive the first attempt to kill you. You win with town.

Abomination (SK/T):
You are an abomination of science; a creature granted unnatural life by an irresponsible master. Each night you may search for your creator, who is no doubt continuing his unnatural work upon others. Target any player: if they are not your creator, you murder them in anger and frustration. If they are the Mad Scientist, you instead become known to them, making amends, and will join Town as a vigilante. This will also happen if the Mad Scientist targets you. If your creator is killed before you locate him you become a basic Serial Killer, although investigations will always reveal you as a guilty party.
Last edited by ElectricBadger on Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herodotus
Herodotus
Black Ops
Herodotus
Black Ops
Black Ops

Post Post #281 (ISO) » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:25 pm

Post by Herodotus »

BridgesAndBaloons wrote: I was thinking more like

Wide net Cop

Each night you send me a different nonconsecutive number of players (not including yourself) greater than 2. If you cannot do this, then you don't have a night action. I will then tell you if the total number of pro-town win conditions in those players is even or odd.

For example, first night sends 4 names (3 town, 1 scum = odd)
second night 6 names (3 Town, 2 scum, 1 survivor = odd)
third night 5 names (4 town, 1 Jester = even)

ect.

This is a role that becomes more and more powerful as the game goes on, obviously.

The reason why I did nonconsecutive is because a player could theoretically pick x players, then x+1 and if the answer changes, that person is confirmed town.
For obvious reasons, I like the even/odd response.

I see nothing wrong with letting a cop spend two nights to investigate one player.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #282 (ISO) » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:51 am

Post by PokerFace »

You are a
Hot Nurse
. You've used your good looks to go much further in med school than any other nurse. You can roleblock or doc protect one player each night. You can't do both on the same night. You win with the town when all threats to its safety have been eliminated. Good Luck
You are
Jailbait
, an underage individual with the body of a sexy adult. Any player that targets you at night will be role blocked and doc protected. You win with the town when all threats to its safety have been eliminated. Good Luck
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Mafiaplayer
Mafiaplayer
Goon
Mafiaplayer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #283 (ISO) » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:20 am

Post by Mafiaplayer »

You are
Adrian Monk
. Thrice in the game on nonconsecutive nights, you may investigate someone's murder. You will be informed of who committed it. However, you are very afraid of human contact, and if anyone attempts to target you (not counting killing roles), you will remove whatever they attempted to target you with, permanently removing their power role.
Anyone who would actually play mafia sucsk
Radio_Interference
Radio_Interference
Townie
Radio_Interference
Townie
Townie

Post Post #284 (ISO) » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:49 pm

Post by Radio_Interference »

You are a
Vampire
, and you hate this Edward Cullen Twilight crap. Seriously, you come out of your coffin only to find the rest of the world thinks that vampires are supposed to glitter in the sunlight and play psychotic on-the-verge-of-creepy romantic games with 12 year old girls. Well you're sick of it, and plan on solving this problem by killing every single person you come across town by town until there are only relatively intelligent people left. You win when your town is cleansed of stupid idiots AKA, everyone else. You will only kill one of them every night simply to give them a chance in hell of rejecting their evil ways. You're immune to getting shot, stabbed, getting hit by cars, getting lit on fire, the mafia, cults and girls named Belle Swan, unlike that other glittery faggot. If the town decides to lynch you, you'll play along until you can escape and move onto the next town to cleanse away the heathens there.

Modnote: plays as NK/cult immune SK. Also gets first priority night actions. Possibly kills beyond doc's healing ability. Add immunities at wish. If anyone actually mentions the book Twilight, the Vampire killls them that night.
Pyromaniac
Pyromaniac
Goon
Pyromaniac
Goon
Goon

Post Post #285 (ISO) » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:27 am

Post by Pyromaniac »

^You are looking for the worst role ideas thread.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #286 (ISO) » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:49 am

Post by The Fonz »

Elephant Hell wrote:The Hitman wins if their targets die in any way at any time, not just by the Hitman's nightkill, so it's not terribly hard for them to win (if their targets die, they win even if they're dead). That's why I think it would probably be a good idea to make them lose if they nightkill a non-target (even then they're still pretty overpowered as you say, which would be counteracted by giving them a relatively large number of targets). I saw Alarmist here somewhere before (maybe even in this topic) and I think I saw something along the lines of Deprogrammer, but I was just mentioning them given that Cults came up a little way back on this page.
If you need to be alive when your target dies, that probably works.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #287 (ISO) » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:50 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

BridgesAndBaloons wrote:
Yosarian2 wrote: I came with this alternate design.
You are a
suicide-cult leader

Each night, if you choose, you may recruit someone else to join your cult. If at any point anything happens to you, one of your recruits will become the new cult leader (in the order they were recrited in.)

However, if at any point 3 members of your cult die for any reason, then, as per the ancient prophecy, all members of your cult will commit suicide.

You may talk with the members of your cult at night, and they may talk to each other at night. You win when everyone left in the game is in the cult, or nothing can prevent the same.
BRILLIANT!!!

Do I have your permission to try to design an open setup with this role?

(Open setup because Cults have no place in a closed setup).

edit: imo of course. I guess it could work.
Sure. And yeah, that role is designed for at least a semi-open setup.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Tarhalindur
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Mod Screw

Post Post #288 (ISO) » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:50 am

Post by Tarhalindur »

Elephant Hell wrote:Hitman - neutral Vigilante with a list of rolenames that need to die for it to win. Alternative 1: knows the identities of its targets as well, but only has a 1-shot killing ability. Alternative 2: loses if it kills a player not on its list. Basically a way to diminish the effect of massclaims in themed games (in addition to providing anti-town players with fake claims, making anti-town players typically 'good' people etc.)
I've used a variant this role before, up to and including the role name Hitman (which I took off MTGS) - only requires X of its targets die while it is alive, but the Hitman must directly participate in those kills (either by killing the target directly or by being on that player's lynch wagon) and has a limited number of kills.

It's weaker than it looks - it might be balanced at just the "any X of these Y role names must die before you do" with a limited-shot kill.
General anti-Cult stuff:
Alarmist - Cult Cop (seen it mentioned somewhere before here)
Deprogrammer - Cult Doc (probably also mentioned here at some point)
Skeptic - Cultproof
As Mr. Flay noted, all three already exist, as does the name Alarmist (which is, IIRC, generally used for Cult Doc rather than Cult Cop).
User out of ambit.

Error 404: Sanity Not Found
Fuzzyman
Fuzzyman
Goon
Fuzzyman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #289 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:59 am

Post by Fuzzyman »

The Mod wrote: You are a
Bullet-Earning Vigilante
. However, as of now, you do not have any bullets to kill with. Fortunately, though, for every time that your vote is on a given player when they are lynched, you will earn one kill, which may be used at your discretion during the Night.

You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated.
Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #290 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:05 am

Post by Xylthixlm »

PokerFace wrote:
You are a
Hot Nurse
. You've used your good looks to go much further in med school than any other nurse. You can roleblock or doc protect one player each night. You can't do both on the same night. You win with the town when all threats to its safety have been eliminated. Good Luck
ITT PokerFace steals credit for roles I invented.
#mafia@irc.globalgamers.net

"Xyl was completely berserk" -dramonic
"Xyl's ruthless policy lynching won the game." -Vi
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #291 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:10 am

Post by PokerFace »

Xylthixlm wrote:
PokerFace wrote:
You are a
Hot Nurse
ITT PokerFace steals credit for roles I invented.
I never said I made it. I just posted it here because it is a good role
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #292 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:22 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

PokerFace wrote:
Xylthixlm wrote:ITT PokerFace steals credit for roles I invented.
X

You never said you
didn't
write it, which leads any reasonable person to assume that you authored all of the content of the post.
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #293 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:57 am

Post by dramonic »

You are a
Muse of Liberty
. You are a fervent servant of liberty. Each night, you may target a player. For the length of the night, this player will be overtaken by an incredible urge to stay free, resulting in an immunity to roleblocks. However, since he refuses to have others try to block his freedom, he will also be immuned to doc protects.

You win with the town
You are a
Spiritual Siamese
. Your spiritual brother is xxxxxxx. Since you two are linked beyond the bonds of lovers, anything affecting one will also affect the other.

You win with the town
You are the
Demon of Fortune
. You appear human and are as mortal as the others, but you can mess with the probabilities. Each night you may PM me a number between 1 and 30. All targets for night actions will be modified accordingly (Not that you can predict the outcome of your own power).

You win with the mafia
Last edited by dramonic on Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a hoot
Stream: twitch.tv/dramonic
-If you stick your ear close enough to the game thread you can actually hear dram suffer in real life.-Beeboy
-Being obtuse is not a consequence of being a mod, it's a prerequisite. I think you may just have overestimated my intelligence before.-Korts
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #294 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:58 am

Post by dramonic »

typo in the second one, you're should be your
I'm a hoot
Stream: twitch.tv/dramonic
-If you stick your ear close enough to the game thread you can actually hear dram suffer in real life.-Beeboy
-Being obtuse is not a consequence of being a mod, it's a prerequisite. I think you may just have overestimated my intelligence before.-Korts
BridgesAndBaloons
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
Shea it ain't so!

Post Post #295 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:58 pm

Radio_Interference wrote:You are a
Vampire
, and you hate this Edward Cullen Twilight crap. Seriously, you come out of your coffin only to find the rest of the world thinks that vampires are supposed to glitter in the sunlight and play psychotic on-the-verge-of-creepy romantic games with 12 year old girls. Well you're sick of it, and plan on solving this problem by killing every single person you come across town by town until there are only relatively intelligent people left. You win when your town is cleansed of stupid idiots AKA, everyone else. You will only kill one of them every night simply to give them a chance in hell of rejecting their evil ways. You're immune to getting shot, stabbed, getting hit by cars, getting lit on fire, the mafia, cults and girls named Belle Swan, unlike that other glittery faggot. If the town decides to lynch you, you'll play along until you can escape and move onto the next town to cleanse away the heathens there.

Modnote: plays as NK/cult immune SK. Also gets first priority night actions. Possibly kills beyond doc's healing ability. Add immunities at wish. If anyone actually mentions the book Twilight, the Vampire killls them that night.
omg you're back!

Play in a game please.
Signature:
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #296 (ISO) » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:27 am

Post by PokerFace »

Mr. Flay wrote:
PokerFace wrote:
Xylthixlm wrote:ITT PokerFace steals credit for roles I invented.
X

You never said you
didn't
write it, which leads any reasonable person to assume that you authored all of the content of the post.
Well yes, I suppose. Especially since there is another role in that same post that was of my own design (Jailbait). You are correct in terms of clarifications. Still it was not my intention to take credit for xyl's role. My intention was to post some good blocking/docing roles in that post and that is what this thread is about.
egruntz
egruntz
Goon
egruntz
Goon
Goon

Post Post #297 (ISO) » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:45 pm

Post by egruntz »

PyschicYou are the Psychic, known for your nonsense readings of the future! Your credibility as a psychic has been dying out over the years, and you are determined to prove that your powers are real! Each night you predict the name of someone you think will die. If you predict correctly, then your confidence in your powers will exceed, and you will be immune to any danger that faces your way for a short time!

Unfortunately, reading your own future has always been a hazy talent…

Each night you may predict a death by sending the Moderator a PM with the name of who you think will die. You may not guess more than one name, and you may not guess your own name. If you are correct, you will be notified, and you will have immunity the entire next day and night. Do this before the night's deadline is reached, or your ability will not be counted.

You are pro-Town and win when the Town is the last group standing!

I made this role up myself. What do you guys think of it?
Herodotus
Herodotus
Black Ops
Herodotus
Black Ops
Black Ops

Post Post #298 (ISO) » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:37 pm

Post by Herodotus »

egruntz wrote:I made this role up myself. What do you guys think of it?
A good role. Does immunity mean that the player cannot be lynched or killed?

Your location ("Plum hunting!") has me concerned, because everyone knows that Plum is a townie.
egruntz
egruntz
Goon
egruntz
Goon
Goon

Post Post #299 (ISO) » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:01 am

Post by egruntz »

Immunity means being protected from kills (night and day). They're still vulnerable to being lynched.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”