Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:58 am

Post by Faraday »

Darkstrike_11 (2) (JereIC, kikuchiyo ]
Malpascp (1) [afatchic]
cyrpto (2) [ Malpascp, U.N. Owen]

Not voting: (7) [Darkstrike_11, Walrus Helmet, Gyro, Ectomancer, Netopalis, Mr. Jester,crypto]
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
crypto
crypto
Mafia Scum
crypto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:15 am

Post by crypto »

Netopalis, you still think reaction-fishing like I did is anti-town?
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:19 am

Post by Ectomancer »

Whoa, how did it go from this:
Netopalis wrote:Ah, I see. Yeah, I'm still extremely tempted to vote Crypto, as I find his play very scummy, but I wanted to reward behavior which explains actions by unvoting to encourage others to explain their play as well. I try to play the game in an orderly and organized fashion, and I find players who don't explain themselves to be extremely hard to read. They also usually tend to be scum. Like I said, though...Crypto is still high on my list.
To this:
Netopalis wrote:Ecto: I understand what a scummy statement is, but I feel that it's more important to tell the truth than to lie in an attempt to look "more town". Also, if you'll notice, Crypto is giving us more than enough to work with now - he's explaining his posts and reasoning, making logical criticisms of other players and is generally improving. Therefore, I consider my unvote to have achieved the desired effect - he has changed his actions in a way that is beneficial to the town. Honestly, the more I hear from him now, the less I'm suspecting him, since it seems that he actually does have a plan.
Now Crypto the Trick Pony is in line all thanks to your unvote, which came at a time when Crypto was high on your list and very scummy? First time I've heard anyone claim their unvote was a motivator to proper play...
You and Darkstrike hang out?
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:23 am

Post by Netopalis »

I didn't say that I don't suspect him now, just that his posts are moving me in the opposite direction because now he's posting stuff that makes sense. And no, but now that you mention it, he hasn't posted in a while...
My posts are best read in the calm, reassuring voice of Morgan Freeman. I don't sound anything like him, but they sound best that way.

Temporarily retiring following the end of my current obligations.
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:25 am

Post by Netopalis »

Oh, and Crypto...It's a tough question. Like I said, it's really not my style, but I have seen other players doing it, so I'm not sure. I think that posting votes without reasoning is anti-town, but I don't think reaction fishing is...One can be done without the other.
My posts are best read in the calm, reassuring voice of Morgan Freeman. I don't sound anything like him, but they sound best that way.

crypto
crypto
Mafia Scum
crypto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:31 am

Post by crypto »

Is fishing for reactions scummy? Is posting unexplained votes scummy?
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:42 am

Post by Netopalis »

Not if done without posting unexplained votes. Yes, posting unexplained votes is scummy. I believe that I said that above.

Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:47 am

Post by Ectomancer »

vote Darkstrike

Lynch all lurkers.
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:01 am

Post by Netopalis »

Meh, I'd rather have him replaced than lynched, if it came to that...

Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:01 am

Post by Netopalis »

Mod: Can we get a prod on him? It's been 4 days...

Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:19 am

Post by Faraday »

Darkstrike has been prodded.

Gyro is also getting within prod range.
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:22 am

Post by Netopalis »

Might as well send one to Walrus Helmet too, Mod.

Incidentally
FOS: Malpa
for his lack of posting anything of substance. Note that this is completely unrelated to the prior wagon on Malpa.

Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:19 pm

Post by Faraday »

Prods sent to Gyro and Walrus Helmet too
crypto
crypto
Mafia Scum
crypto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:10 pm

Post by crypto »

Netopalis wrote:Not if done without posting unexplained votes. Yes, posting unexplained votes is scummy. I believe that I said that above.
You probably did, but I want to make sure we're on the same page. What do you mean by "scummy"? That in your experience, scum do whatever action more than town? Or something else?
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:54 pm

Post by Netopalis »

Mainly, yes, that scum do it more than townies. I've been in a few games where scum do that, are challenged and then point to the reaction as a reason to vote. When that person gets lynched, they blame it on being the first day and come out smelling like roses.

crypto
crypto
Mafia Scum
crypto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:00 pm

Post by crypto »

Netopalis, I'm beginning to lose myself in the heap of my own questions, so I apologize if you already went over this—in which case feel free to point out where you did so—but why are unexplained votes anti-town/scummy? Also, what are the alternatives you would recommend for reaction fishing?
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:47 pm

Post by Netopalis »

I said it above - in the post immediately prior to yours, actually. I find that scum do it more often than townies do. Scum can use it as a tool to attack a pro-town player without any real justification - they vote them, watch for a reaction and then use either the concern or lack thereof to build a case.

A better way to reaction-fish would probably be to ask questions or wait for someone else to slip up before attacking.

In either event, though, I don't feel that reaction-fishing does that much as most players who have an idea of what they're doing will simply ignore any unsubstantiated claims and move on.

Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:48 pm

Post by Netopalis »

Additionally, do you mind if I ask why you're wasting my time asking me to repeat myself? You've done it twice now.

crypto
crypto
Mafia Scum
crypto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:56 pm

Post by crypto »

No, I'm not asking about your experience. I'm asking what exactly about the
function
of unexplained voting is bad for the town. Alignment doesn't have anything to do with it. Why/how does the function in and of itself negatively affect the town or positively affect the mafia?
A better way to reaction-fish would probably be to ask questions or wait for someone else to slip up before attacking.
Asking questions is vanilla scum hunting. Vanilla scum hunting often doesn't work—otherwise the town would never lose a game. Waiting for someone to slip up is an awfully passive strategy and it assumes incompetence on the part of the scum players.
Gyro
Gyro
Townie
Gyro
Townie
Townie

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:00 pm

Post by Gyro »

I'm liking crypto's play here. By unvoting without reason he was able to bait in likely scum to jump on his case as a way to get an easy lynch on without looking scummy.

I'm not sure what his actual motives are but assuming town then it's quite a slick move to pull although by no means would I consider him someone I can trust as town by any means but that's a irrelevant point, yeh?

Netopalis seems to have been the little fish who got baited on that line but then had to back himself out of the hole over the past couple of days with these little excuses of what he though and what he meant and all that song and dance. So going to plant a
fos
on him for the time being. Nothing solid enough to go for an actual vote.

Very townish/scummy posts by both. I do wanna focus a bit more on some of the other players as well. Owen was a bit...weird, yeh idk have to re-read again. It's hard to tell who's who since I have a hard time identifying usernames and posts by the time I'm done catching up. sob story etc..

other notes:

malpascp playing 7 games lolwat
thanks for prod ; appreciate it
I always tell the truth, even when I lie
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:56 pm

Post by Netopalis »

Ok, Crypto, I've said this three times now. Don't ask me to repeat myself again, because I'm not going to. It allows scum to make easy cases which lead to mislynches. Let me say it slower:
It
allows
scum
to
make
easy
cases
which
lead
to
mislynches.

And now in Russian...
Оно позволяет мафии сделать легкие случаи для того чтобы mislynch.

And, finally, in pig latin:
Itay alloways afiamay otay akemay easyay asescay whichay eadlay otay islynchesmay.

Can I possibly make myself any clearer, Crypto? Should I perhaps try looking to dead languages to make my points? Should I perhaps engrave my statements in gold, dip them in guacamole and deliver them to your doorstep with a plate of caviar and a pile of red snappers while dressed in a clown suit and singing the theme song from "The Facts of Life?" Would that make things easier to understand, Crypto?

crypto
crypto
Mafia Scum
crypto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:13 pm

Post by crypto »

Challenge me to a flame war. I dare you. If history repeats itself, you'll replace out and I'll be on the brink of a mod kill.
It
allows
scum
to
make
easy
cases
which
lead
to
mislynches.
Ahem.

Can I possibly make myself any clearer, Netopalis?

How?

What the flying fuck about an unexplained vote makes the mafia's job easier? Since you have failed miserably to explain the fundamentals, give me a fucking example, outside newbie games, of an unexplained vote on page 3 that's led rapidly to a lynch on a town player. Better yet, give me a fucking example that you've witnessed firsthand, as a player.
walrus helmet
walrus helmet
Goon
walrus helmet
Goon
Goon

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:52 pm

Post by walrus helmet »

Sorry for the non-activity this weekend. Time for a post-party tired post. Happy Halloween everyone. :)
Ectomancer wrote:Whoa, how did it go from this:
Netopalis wrote:Ah, I see. Yeah, I'm still extremely tempted to vote Crypto, as I find his play very scummy, but I wanted to reward behavior which explains actions by unvoting to encourage others to explain their play as well. I try to play the game in an orderly and organized fashion, and I find players who don't explain themselves to be extremely hard to read. They also usually tend to be scum. Like I said, though...Crypto is still high on my list.
To this:
Netopalis wrote:Ecto: I understand what a scummy statement is, but I feel that it's more important to tell the truth than to lie in an attempt to look "more town". Also, if you'll notice, Crypto is giving us more than enough to work with now - he's explaining his posts and reasoning, making logical criticisms of other players and is generally improving. Therefore, I consider my unvote to have achieved the desired effect - he has changed his actions in a way that is beneficial to the town. Honestly, the more I hear from him now, the less I'm suspecting him, since it seems that he actually does have a plan.
Now Crypto the Trick Pony is in line all thanks to your unvote, which came at a time when Crypto was high on your list and very scummy? First time I've heard anyone claim their unvote was a motivator to proper play...
You and Darkstrike hang out?
The kind of language that Ecto is pointing out in Netopalis' posts implies Neto is trying not to lynch his scum partner crypto, which is feasible until the crazy argument they are having now. Sorry but I doubt either of you are good enough actors to pull that off.

As for your argument, it's such a non-event, there's nothing inherently scummy about vote switching, it has to be in conjunction with something else. Like who you are switching from. It's clear that crypto was trying to scumhunt malpasp (too tired to check spelling on your names, sorry). If anything, crypto is setting Neto up for a lynch, because they are certainly the two most visible players right now. I'm hesitant to vote for either of them, I would be surprised to see scum being so visible and loud on day 1.
It
allows
scum
to
make
easy
cases
which
lead
to
mislynches.
Maybe it's my tired brain but I keep reading this over looking for a hidden message like the one Gov. Ahnold sent to the CA congress. "f u c k y o u"!
afatchic
afatchic
Mafia Scum
afatchic
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:25 pm

Post by afatchic »

Sorry for skipping out on y'all for the past few days. I just can't motivate myself to post, however i'll try and reread and post some thoughts by tomorrow night.
Show
Now taking sign ups:
The Fast and the Furious Mafia (Mini Theme)(11 spots left)

Upcoming Games:
The Bible Experience Mafia (Mini Theme)

Crazy Cops Mafia (Open Game)

Pre-In's are welcome for any of them.
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:43 pm

Post by Netopalis »

Due to the fact that I only recently joined the site, I only have 2 completed games, and neither of these are a good indicator. Due to the current game rule, I can't link you to games in progress. Finally, I'm not going to spend hours poring over the newbie queue just to prove a point.

How does voting without a reason make the mafia's job easier? I should think it was pretty obvious. Was it found in this quote?
Mainly, yes, that scum do it more than townies. I've been in a few games where scum do that, are challenged and then point to the reaction as a reason to vote. When that person gets lynched, they blame it on being the first day and come out smelling like roses.
Or was it in this one?
I said it above - in the post immediately prior to yours, actually. I find that scum do it more often than townies do. Scum can use it as a tool to attack a pro-town player without any real justification - they vote them, watch for a reaction and then use either the concern or lack thereof to build a case

Or maybe it should be found here?
It allows scum to make easy cases which lead to mislynches.

If you listen to Crypto, he'd have you believe that I'm ignoring the opportunity to clarify myself to the town. Really, though, that's not what he's doing. Essentially, he knows that if he asks me the same question over and over again, I'll object to it and that he could construe me to be seen as unhelpful.

Unvote, vote: Crypto

Allow me to turn the tables, Crypto. Why do you feel the need to make me repeat myself 4 times? I say 4 because I do explain this somewhat more obliquely earlier. I asked you this earlier, by the way, and you didn't really respond. Can you clarify this a bit for us? Can you make yourself any clearer? I'd really like to know. You see, I have this strange, incredibly odd fascination with requiring
reasons
in order to act, and I like having them around. Humor me, would you? All I want to know is why you feel that asking me to repeat myself repeatedly and my subsequent getting a bit ticked over it is scummy. Just a little bit of information wouldn't hurt, you know?

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”