Theme Test Market

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Sanjay
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2225 (ISO) » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:45 am

Post by Sanjay »

I want to be this guy:

petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...
Pronoun: he/him/his

Post Post #2226 (ISO) » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:34 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

<3 Mandark.
"Logic? I call that flapdoodle."
Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2227 (ISO) » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:41 pm

Post by Starbuck »

So I signed up to host my first Mini Theme game, and my plan is to do Empire Records.

Thoughts?
<3 Kise, Reck, dram, tans, & Kats <3
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #2228 (ISO) » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:17 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

I think it's a bad sign that I'm so desperate to design a mafia game that I'm coming up with Neuroanatomy mafia. Basically a game where a limited bit of information is spread amongst most town players, but gathering and spreading that information is interdependent on the roles alive in the game. Roles are based on the visual circuits.

You are an ocular motor neuron. Each night you can tell the eye to observe a specific player, and they will see everything they do and everything that happens to that player. If you die the ocular muscles will no longer function and the last player to be targeted will remain observed for the course of the game.
(whispering tracker watcher)

You are a rod photoreceptor. You may see things at night. If you die the retina will no longer function.
(gets to know if anything happened "you were active" "you were inactive")

You are a retinal bipolar cell. As long as you are alive visual stimulation reaching photoreceptors can be passed to the brain for processing. If you die visual signals will not be passed on beyond the photoreceptors.
(role with no abilities but if alive can spread investigation results from photoreceptors to downstream pathways)

You are a direction selective retinal ganglion cell. You can't make out objects but you can tell how many times somebody came and went in the scene you were observing. If you die motion processing will be lost.
(Gets a count of how many players targeted the observed player)

You a pyramidal neuron in the visual cortex facial recognition center. You are able to recognize faces that were present in the visual field.
(gets the list of players that were targeted, or targeted the player)

You are a place recognition cell of the hippocampus. You know where we've been last night.
(Receives the target information.

You are a pyramidal neuron in the frontal cortex. You are cognizant of what you are looking at.
(gets all information)

Cerebellum could work too:
You are a Purkinje Neuron. If you receive input from parallel fibers you have the ability to cause inhibition. You have the power to inhibit and deep cerebellar nuclei.
(Delayed action, target specific roleblocker of some sort)
Chaco
Chaco
Mafia Scum
Chaco
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2229 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:17 pm

Post by Chaco »

How could one successfully portray all the mechanics of a pokemon game, into a mafia game?

Literally all of the possibilities are baffling.
milkshake
milkshake
Goon
milkshake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2230 (ISO) » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:10 am

Post by milkshake »

It's a musical disaster! Musicologists, composers, performers, producers, and casual musicians everywhere are questioning their very existence. The British National Library is being raided for its classical-period manuscripts. Lady GaGa is on NPR. Billy Joel thinks he's J.S. Bach. Bono is popular.

While the mortal world flounders in the consuming madness that is musical ruin, a war is being raged in the heavens. Something is destroying seminal works of classical music, not-so-seminal works of classical music, and even our favorite pop songs (or at least the ones that have nothing to do with Elton John.) Something is picking them off one by one, and where there were once intricate works of musical genius, intelligence, or glorified mediocrity, are now nothing but the discordant remains of demolished masterpieces.

Could this be the end?

Mozart's Mafia for Mindful Mastery of Musical Madness

Never! Not while I, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, still haunt the tormented concert halls of my youth!

To arms, symphonies! Into the breach, my fugal friends! (No, not you, Billy.) To battle, ballads! For honor, trance music!
For honor, trance music!
For honor, trance music!
For honor, trance music!
Ok, turn that off.

Fight now, or be lost forever!

-Fight for music of all time, or slowly tear it apart!
-No two songs are alike, so no two roles are the same.
-Have genre, key, even duration.
-Listen to music upon death.
-Death frees you not! You might be resurrected by Mozart himself.

Mozart! Example role PM wrote:You are
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
, allied with the
music

Genre/Era: Classical
Duration: N/A
Key/Pitch Organisation: N/A

Description:
A child-prodigy-turned-unabashedly-prolific-composer, you have found no rest in the afterlife, and now you must conduct the essense of musical masterpieces throughout the ages to victory against the forces of madness. You are armed with nothing but your baton and the ability to compose entire operas in a single night.

Ability:
During the night, you can PM me the name of any one dead player, and that player will be brought back to life as a classical-period work by you, Mozard Amadeus Mozart. But be careful, if you try to resurrect an ally of the madness, he will come back with his previous role intact, still allied with the madness.

You do need
some
sleep, so if you use this ability two nights in a row, you will fall asleep on the third night, and you won't be able to use any night actions during that night. Furthermore, you won't be able to be protected. If anyone tries to kill you, you will most certainly die.
What think-you? (And does anybody happen to want to backup mod or do a quick review? Edit: got a backup mod but a quick review would still be fantastic.)
Sanjay
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2231 (ISO) » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:25 pm

Post by Sanjay »

Has anyone ever done a Canterbury Tales themed mafia game on here? It seems like with the cast of characters it would be a really good theme.

It even has a Miller!
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2232 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:07 am

Post by Max »

Quiz Show Mafia:

There are 3 stages to each day:

1. Question Stage - Each person may ask 1 (and only 1) question to each other player.
2. Answer Stage - Each person must answer each question aimed at them. (And no go off on an irrelevant tangent [e.g. Q: Why did you vote XXX yesterday? A: I'm a cop I got a guilty on Z lynch that mofo now.]
3. Lynch Stage - Voting Only, until a majority is reached.

Nightless mini. Thoughts?
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #2233 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:21 am

Post by Seraphim »

I think that could work...but I think multiple rounds per day would work better. Two, maybe, or three at the most.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #2234 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:44 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

@ shaft ed:

You forgot the retina cones.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2235 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:44 pm

Post by zoraster »

Parallel Universe Mafia.
Large Theme Game.
Open Setup.
24 players.

2 simultaneous games (don't count it out out of hand!).

Game 1 setup:
Mafia A: 1 teleporter, 2 goons
Town: 1 teleporter, 1 puller, 1 teleporter backup, 1 puller backup, 5 vanilla

Game 2 setup:
Mafia B: 1 teleporter, 2 goons
Town: 1 teleporter, 1 puller, 1 teleporter backup, 1 puller backup, 5 vanilla

Game works pretty much like normal in that majority lynches during the day.

Each Mafia picks one player to pull a kill at night. In either game they have a player.

Win conditions:
Any town member in the FIRST game that wins, automatically wins and cannot be pulled or teleported into the other game. A game is won by town when all mafia forces are eliminated (by lynch or teleport) in that game.
Town members in the second game win only when they eliminate all remaining mafia.
For town: the game you die in is the game you win or lose in.
Mafia A and B win whenever they win a game in EITHER game. They can go for the amazing DOUBLE WIN if they somehow manage to win both games. They win when there are no longer any other forces in the game other than their Mafia team and not before (even when normally they would be autowin... they could be pulled)

Roles:
Teleporters can "teleport" someone from their game into the other game. They cannot teleport themselves. May be used once per DAY
Pullers can "pull" someone from the other game into their own. May be used once per DAY.
Backup teleporters and pullers become active if the person they backup either is killed OR teleported OR pulled.

I won't be running this for a while; I have a lot on my plate at the moment. But this is something I hope to try out. It's possible it'll be swingy, and it DEFINITELY will be crazy, but I think it could be hectic and fun for people involved. The scum have the chance to go for a double win which is cool, but I think the most interesting dynamic is the two towns that are not QUITE at odds with each other, but will remain permanently in tension.

If you're only interested in regular mafia, I don't need to hear from you. Nor do I need to hear from anyone who rejects double games out of hand. But I WOULD love to hear from anyone who has a suggestion or a constructive criticism.

---
I also am considering making the TOWN teleporter and puller from each team both unkillable/unlynchable and unteleportable/unpullable
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2236 (ISO) » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:13 am

Post by Max »

if someone from mafia A teleports to game 2 are they still mafia A or mafia B?
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2237 (ISO) » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:14 am

Post by zoraster »

still Mafia A. Mafia A can then decide at night whether to shoot with the person in world 2 or shoot with one of the two people in world 1.
Sanjay
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2238 (ISO) » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:30 am

Post by Sanjay »

If someone teleported into your game and then all of a sudden there were two kills a night, it would be pretty obvious what was going on. Is that a concern of yours?

(I really love the idea as a whole, by the way)
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2239 (ISO) » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:09 am

Post by zoraster »

A couple of points:
1. If there's more than one player alive on your mafia team, you can choose which world to shoot in. So if you get someone teleported to world 2, you can still choose to shoot in world 1 and not give the game up
2. Mafia can always no kill.
3. There will be two or three changes per day. Town teleporter, Town Puller, and Mafia Teleporter (i may get rid of mafia teleporter, trying to decide). So it'll be tough to pick out which one of those actually made the kill.

Now that I think about that, I may want to up the numbers a few or reduce the teleporters. 6 people moving worlds per day is probably a bit much when it's out of 24 players [1/4th]. If I got rid of the mafia teleporter, it'd be 4/24 [1/6th] which is probably more reasonable. If I increase it to 30 players total (15 a side), that's 6/30 [1/5th].

Alternatively, I could just do Mafia Teleporter and Town Teleporter. That may be more fair because otherwise presumably 2 pro-town player get moved and only 1 scummy player gets moved into each game (since the puller will presumably play a pro-town player)
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2240 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:38 am

Post by Max »

Seraphim wrote:I think that could work...but I think multiple rounds per day would work better. Two, maybe, or three at the most.
So, two question rounds? After the first presumably?

Anyway this is being "mud-kipped" as my theme for my next mini.
Trumpet of Doom
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2241 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:57 am

Post by Trumpet of Doom »

Once my open gets done, I'm considering running a Drum Corps International-themed mini. Thoughts?

(Yes, I'm a nerd like that.)
Discretion is the better part of valor.
If I helped lynch you, you deserved it.

Retired from playing for the foreseeable future.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #2242 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:50 am

Post by Vi »

Trumpet of Doom wrote:Once my open gets done, I'm considering running a Drum Corps International-themed mini. Thoughts?

Drum Corps is hit-or-miss for me, but I can back this if you want to use this theme.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Kdub
Kdub
Mafia Scum
Kdub
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2243 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:28 am

Post by Kdub »

I'm fairly surprised there hasn't been a Narnia-themed game run yet (at least to my knowledge). I'm thinking my upcoming mini theme will be based on one of the books, with maybe a larger series-encompassing game in the future if it goes well.
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Mafia - 17-player large theme, currently needs (0) replacements
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #2244 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:52 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Narnia will be hard to balance against massclaim, I'd think; only a few individuals are really of 'grey' alignment, everybody else is saint or devil.
Retired as of October 2014.
dahill1
dahill1
bagel
dahill1
bagel
bagel

Post Post #2245 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:25 am

Post by dahill1 »

Trumpet of Doom wrote:Once my open gets done, I'm considering running a Drum Corps International-themed mini. Thoughts?

I don't play the drums, but Tom Float was my pit teacher for a year.
Slicey
Slicey
Mafia Scum
Slicey
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2246 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:55 pm

Post by Slicey »

Chaco wrote:How could one successfully portray all the mechanics of a pokemon game, into a mafia game?

Literally all of the possibilities are baffling.
I tried and failed. >_>
Taking a temporary retirement from playing mafia games... damn you invitationals.
Coming in Summer 2010: Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Mafia. The most nonsensical game of mafia you'll ever play.
Note: V/LA most weekends, sorry.
Slicey
Slicey
Mafia Scum
Slicey
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2247 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:56 pm

Post by Slicey »

Also, Tales of the Abyss Mafia anyone?
Taking a temporary retirement from playing mafia games... damn you invitationals.
Coming in Summer 2010: Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Mafia. The most nonsensical game of mafia you'll ever play.
Note: V/LA most weekends, sorry.
Plum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2248 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:40 pm

Post by Plum »

Mr. Flay wrote:Narnia will be hard to balance against massclaim, I'd think; only a few individuals are really of 'grey' alignment, everybody else is saint or devil.
Isn't that what the old trick of leaving out some good guys and giving the scum fakeclaims is for? I'm not that familiar with Narnia, but still . . .
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2249 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:54 pm

Post by zoraster »

has there been a game of thrones/song of ice and fire themed game?

Return to “Mafia Discussion”