Mini #893 - Dollhouse Mafia (Game Over!)

Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #200 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:07 am

Post by Starbuck »

Again, if you read my post thoroughly, you would have seen that I do agree with TheButtonmen that we can't treat this game like a normal game.

It seems as though you are only voting for DeathNote and that you view TheButtonmen as scummy because they disagree with you and vice versa. Right now, according to you, neither one of them could possibly be town because they don't/didn't agree with you. Now, in this last post, you are saying that TheButtonmen is no longer scum in your eyes, but town. How quickly you change your tune.

It seems like he was panicking? I really didn't get that from him. I really just saw him (and DeathNote, for that matter) trying to bring some plans/ideas to the table. It's been you and SC who have overreacted to almost anything anyone else posts.

Vote: Elvis_Knits

Imprint: VMD, lewarcher82, and TheButtonmen
<3 Kise, Reck, dram, tans, & Kats <3
Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #201 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:08 am

Post by Starbuck »

I also wanted to add that it seems like you are trying to intimidate others with your long, wall of texts posts. I don't remember you being this way in Twilight, which is why I want to make note of it.
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #202 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:13 am

Post by elvis_knits »

Starbuck, please stop misrepping me.
starbuck wrote:Now, in this last post, you are saying that TheButtonmen is no longer scum in your eyes, but town. How quickly you change your tune.
O RLY? Because I've been saying it for a while now.
elvis post 77 wrote:Well, when I thought buttonman was misrepping the town's influence (ie, saying there is a lot of scum and not many town sounds like we are in the minority, which is not true), I thought he was scummy.

But I think he is actually trying to win the game (through breaking the game). So that's not scummy.
And this one was just earlier today:
elvis wrote:Like your vote on Buttonmen, which was essentially because you found him annoying and you disliked his plan. While I happen to agree with you, those things don't indicate his allignment, and if you think about it, he probably was trying to break the game for the town. Which suggests he is town.
Talk nerdy to me.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us." -Joseph Campbell
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #203 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:30 am

Post by elvis_knits »

Starbuck wrote:I don't feel I misrepped you at all. That's exactly how it felt when I read it. Also, if you read the rules of the game, you would have known that the rogue actives could retain their powers. It surprises me, even after your blatant posts about reading over the rules carefully, that you admit to not doing so.
Starbuck, I don't think you really read the game that closely.

I knew the scum retained their abilities from reading the rules, but my question was if they could gain more than one ability.

If they keep their first ability, plus gain more the more they are imprinted, that puts town at a significant disadvantage because we cannot have more than one ability at a time. For reference, these are the questions I asked the mod:
elvis wrote:
Mod: Can scum players gain more than one power? If they are imprinted more than once, will they have access to both imprint powers, and can they use them both in one night or have to choose only one at a time? Also, can scum use a power in the same night that they perform a kill? Or does making a kill prevent them from using a secondary power?
starbuck wrote: There was plenty of ideas and theories being thrown around at the time of your vote on DeathNote. I agree that not everyone should be imprinted and he sees now why this is a bad idea, but why must it only be after YOU point out that its anti-town or scummy? You are making this situation to be entirely about you, when it's not.
Look, I think it was a good reason to vote him then and I think it's still a good reason. But, even if you think my reason isn't GREAT, what more do you expect from a first page vote? Do you expect me to have a better reason for voting on the first page? Why wouldn't I vote deathnote when he ignores my point about his plan being flawed? His action, to ignore me in favor of pushing his agenda, was inherently scummy.

I really don't understand why you think I am scummy for disliking a plan which you admit is anti-town, from a player who you agree has done some scummy things. You're saying he is reading null to you, but you also admit he's done some scummy things. So, it really makes no sense for you to think I'm scummy. Unless you think deathnote is so pro-town and he's doing all pro-town things, then your attack on me doesn't make much sense.
Talk nerdy to me.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us." -Joseph Campbell
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #204 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:45 am

Post by DeathNote »

Why is me ignoring you scummy? Are you the Town leader or something? I ignored you because I already knew that scum got to keep their powers. I still suggested my plan due to the fact that I figured we would be able to find confirmed town/scum that night. I assumed the benefits of my plan would outweigh the negative repercussions. That is why I ignored you.
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #205 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:50 am

Post by Starbuck »

You know elvis, all of what you say is coming from someone who's trying to pass herself and SC off as confirmed because you misunderstood a rule.
Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #206 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:08 pm

Post by Starbuck »

It's also one thing to dislike a plan/idea. It's another to completely overreact to it, and even now that DeathNote has rescinded that it really wasn't the best thought out, you are still all over him or anyone who disagrees with you.
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #207 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:45 pm

Post by elvis_knits »

So I should ignore that completely scummy thing he did because he took it back?

He still is voting to imprint everyone except me. How is that pro-town? He may say that he has abandoned his plan, but he really hasn't since he's still voting like he's trying to make it happen.
Talk nerdy to me.

TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #208 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:14 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

elvis_knits wrote:So I should ignore that completely scummy thing he did because he took it back?
You voted for him because of his plan of imprinting everyone, yet he claimed that plan was because he didn't know the scum had NK's. Now you voted to imprint yourself and serial because both of you posted in manners that suggested that you didn't know the scum had NK's.

Am I misunderstanding your reason for voting for him?
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #209 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:19 pm

Post by elvis_knits »

Yes you are missing something.

He only claimed to not know scum had a NK after it had been clarified. I have no way of knowing if he thought that when he posted his plan or not. Read his post where he imprints everyone and makes his plan. He says nothing about whether he thinks scum can NK or not, so I don't know what he thought.
DeathNote wrote:
Imprint: everyone

Think about it...

There are two ways to go about finding scum, with powers or without. If we go without and not imprint anyone, then we will be relying completely on our cunning to find scummy players via meta, lurking, or whatever other means you use.

If we go with powers, then we will be hoping for town related investigative roles that could help us catch scum. Both ways have its faults and pluses...

I personally like the power root, at least for tonight, as scum hunting can become difficult for me with so many players I do not know. If we are to imprint tonight, we should imprint everyone as town would have twice as many night actions available to them compared to town. We can then claim some results, assuming they help us find scum or confirmed town, and imprint off that. For example, if we imprint everyone and I get a cop/investigative ability that I use on Elvis_knits that flips her town, then we can give her an imprint the next day.

Questions?
Talk nerdy to me.

SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #210 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:12 pm

Post by SerialClergyman »

You know elvis, all of what you say is coming from someone who's trying to pass herself and SC off as confirmed because you misunderstood a rule.
That's a terrible post. ANYTHING elvis says is coming from that position - do you feel it's enough to discredit any argument she makes about anythign from now to the end of the game?

For the record, would you go over exactly how you think elvis and my scheme went down if we were scum? Why didn't elvis choose a scum mate who hadn't imprinted her in his first post of the day? When was the plan hatched? Why didn't I imprint more than just one of my scumbuddies? Why didn't I answer her question the first time?
I'm old now.
Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #211 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:19 pm

Post by Starbuck »

Yes, I do. She is trying to pass YOU BOTH off as CONFIRMED now because of that and she has yet to rescind it.

She is scummiest person to me right now and that's why my vote is placed on her.

Those remaining questions are heading into WIFOM territory. So unless, everyone else would like me to answer those, then I will. Right now, I will not.
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #212 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:36 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

SerialClergyman wrote: Why didn't elvis choose a scum mate who hadn't imprinted her in his first post of the day? When was the plan hatched? Why didn't I imprint more than just one of my scumbuddies? Why didn't I answer her question the first time?
Those questions require an astounding amount of speculation, meaning that even if she did answer them it would be both quite easy to find flaws in the explanation and also it would be completely useless to town.

Here's some questions I'd rather answered, do you have any town tells on Elvis you want to share (seeing as your defending her and imprinting her)?, Why are so confident that Starbuck is scum and could you explain what the Starbuck&Deathnote connection is?
Pug89
Pug89
Goon
Pug89
Goon
Goon

Post Post #213 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:42 pm

Post by Pug89 »

Just a few things from a quick read of the last day and a half or so:

DN's decision to vote for everyone he doesn't find suspicious seems strange to me, especially since the rest of the town has pretty much decided that imprinting few people is better. It may be a way of getting is partners (if he is scum) closer to being imprinted without overtly being shown to support them if he gets lynched later.
limerickx wrote:I still disagree with lynching today, as scum don't have a NK unless we give one out. I just don't see a reason to take the chance when there wont be a kill (and if there IS a kill, it would be from one of the players we give and imprint to)
I think this may have been addressed but lynching will give us more information than not. If we limit the players given imprints that will give us a relatively small pool of possible players responsible. There is the possibility of scum getting a NK ability and waiting to use it on a night they are not imprinted, but unless everyone as been imprinted at one time or another they are still taking a huge risk.
elvis_knits wrote:I think we need to reach an understanding in this game of how we are going to approach things. We need to agree if we want to lynch and if we want to imprint and such things. Obviously I think we should go with my plan of lynching, while imprinting a few people we think are town
I completely agree with you here. Information on how the imprints work could be very useful to the town later in the game.

I'll to a closer read of the last day and half and post more tomorrow.
People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy. - Joss Whedon
Messiah
Messiah
Goon
Messiah
Goon
Goon

Post Post #214 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:29 pm

Post by Messiah »

SC wrote: For the record, would you go over exactly how you think elvis and my scheme went down if we were scum? Why didn't elvis choose a scum mate who hadn't imprinted her in his first post of the day? When was the plan hatched? Why didn't I imprint more than just one of my scumbuddies? Why didn't I answer her question the first time?
This line of questioning doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than to make starbuck appear scummy through no fault of her own.

unvote, vote serialclergyman
for the ridiculous way he's overreacted towards
starbuck and the above scummy line of questioning.

@Starbuck: Do you really get a town read on lewarcher from his one post?
It's times like this..
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #215 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:31 pm

Yes, I do. She is trying to pass YOU BOTH off as CONFIRMED now because of that and she has yet to rescind it.

She is scummiest person to me right now and that's why my vote is placed on her.
I didn't say does that make her scummy, I said does that mean any argument she makes will be coloured by that viewpoint? Right now you're ignoring very legitimate questions from her and I don't like it.
Those remaining questions are heading into WIFOM territory.
Zzz. You guys are the ones coming up with a theory, you should have an idea in your mind about how it went down. Dismissing a line of enquiry due to some WIFOM is a terrible idea, as I've argued in just about every game ever. To assume that I would imprint my scumbuddy in my first post is not the best, to assume that elvis cooked up a scheme with that person continues to disappoint.

Elvis trying to clear me is a good start, but elvis trying to clear anyone with info like that is definitely a positive. She's not the sort of scum that gambits D1, she tends to prefer to back her playing. I have the advantage of knowing that if she was scum she'd be working hard ot clear a townie, so that's one solid reason that you guys can't share. But if you work through the questions I asked above and earlier in the thread you'll realise that if she was scum there would have been better ways of doing this gambit (primarily not using the person who imprinted her first page). She said she was prepared to die before the end of the game if she needed to, I believe her.

It's like defending you for breaking the game, I think elvis is doing her version of that.

As for Starbuck, I'm as confident as I can be for a D1 scum tell, don't let me make you think I'm sure she's going to flip scum. But at this stage it's a good prediction, better than most.

A fair bit of it is gut but I'll try to key you into my thinking.

She is discrediting elvis constantly. There's nothing inherently scummy about trying to clear yourself, there's certainly nothing inherently scummy about trying to clear someone else (doubly especially if that person is town). Yet Starbuck uses that as an argument against her constantly. It's purely done to discredit the finding. There's a natural distrust of people who speak about clearing themselves, as I learnt in my first game of mafia, but that should lead you to doubt the conclusion, not incriminate the person suggesting the theory. I say again, just because elvis suggested it doesn't mean it's not a good idea, nor does it mean she's scummy, nor does it mean it can be dismissed. Her actions have town motivations as well as scum motivations.

Then look at Starbucks' first post. In her 1-5 pages post, she mentions Deathnote in every point against elvis. She talks a lot about 'overreactions' to his play. This is a slightly odd way ot reviewing the game. Maybe putting it out there once, that's OK, but...

(SC note: These are all quotes from Starbucks' first summary post, the one that I decided she was scum with Deathnote after reading.)

On Elvis & SC
SC seems to get a bit overaggressive over DeathNote's suggested idea
to imprint everyone in Post 13,
as did Elvis when she voted DeathNote
in Post 14. He was just throwing out an idea, and you both overreacted quite a bit. Then Elvis turns around just a few posts later in Post 17 that she likes fast, exciting games and that it really isn't that bad of an idea, but only after SC alluded that it could be okay. This feels like a
contradiction to me of her vote of DeathNote
I'm getting the feeling of elvis and SC buddying a bit. My reasons here are that for one SC voted to imprint both himself and elvis and in Post 119, elvis does the same thing. It just seems like they are trying to work together,
as they did when they both shot down DeathNote's idea.
Post 119 does nothing but add to my theory.
I also am not a fan of someone who just comes out Day 1 saying that "so&so and so&so are scum" just because you don't like their ideas. Elvis does this in Post 47. (SC note: Guess who? Deathnote!)

The last thing I'm not a fan of
is how overly insulting and condescending elvis has been to quite a few of players. (SC note: Also deathnote, but I grant you this is more ambiguous)
It seems right now that if we don't go with elvis's way, it's the highway. Remember that this is a mafia game and it does get heated, but it doesn't give you a reason to sit and fling ad hom at everyone that you disagree with.
So you can see how focused on Deathnote she is. And don't forget this is IN THE ELVIS AND SC SECTION of her review.

Then there's the actual section on Deathnote himself:
On DeathNote
I definitely don't like his pressure of trying to make everyone choose between either one of his plans.

I've played with DeathNote before and it very much seems like he was just trying to get ideas out there. I'm not getting a completely scummy feeling from him.
If she'd come out and said he was town I could have perhaps understood her obsession with him in the first section, but she didn't. She did the classic can't-say-my-buddy-is-town-can't-say-he's-scum thing and said he was kinda scummy, but there's nonetheless reason not to vote him. This is perhaps more gut, but this is EXACTLY what scum talking about their buddy look like.
On VMD
I think VMD's vote on TheButtonmen is a little opportunistic because he wasn't the only one discussing that theory/idea. I don't think he is being against the spirit of the game. Again, here is someone who just happened to bring up an idea that someone else didn't like.
It's like the same thing as elvis voting DeathNote because she didn't like his idea.
Keeps pushing the Deathnote's idea was the problem, not that he's scummy.
On the theories/ideas
I can see where DeathNote was coming from, especially prior to mod clarifications,
but there is just too much that we don't know. Also, with all 4 of the rogues receiving an imprint, it's like we'd be setting ourselves up for failure.
Was that the hottest issue at the time? It heads her section on ideas and theories and again subtly defends him. It ignores that many of his suggestions were made AFTER mod clarifications and that fact that this is someone she apparantly is not getting a 'completely scummy feeling from', which to me suggests she's at least getting a partially scummy feeling form him, yet is constantly mentioning him, defending him and attacking his accusors.

You get my point. Starbuck looks to me to clearly be scum with deathnote.
I'm old now.
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #216 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:34 pm

town:
elvis
serial
button
pug

scum:
messiah
starbuck
deathnote

Neutral:
All else.

(I have added pug and messiah in accordingly. None of this makes any sense if Starbuck is town, or is elvis is scum, so ignore in either case. I took limerick out because I thought starbuck said more about him when I read the first post, but in my more in depth case above I decided it wasn't enough to go on.)
I'm old now.
Messiah
Messiah
Goon
Messiah
Goon
Goon

Post Post #217 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:41 pm

Post by Messiah »

I'm scum now? That's a compelling omgus, SC.
It's times like this..
Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #218 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:48 pm

Post by Starbuck »

Messiah wrote:@Starbuck: Do you really get a town read on lewarcher from his one post?
I feel a bit more positive about him being town right now than I do SC or Elvis. I've played with him before and thus far, getting a null/town read.

That's also a loaded question because due to personal obligations, I wasn't able to post until today. That'd be like asking someone else if they think I'm town after I haven't posted for the past few days.

He also paid me the favor of voting to imprint me, so I figured I'd return it.
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #219 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:49 pm

Plenty of people in the gave have criticised me, or knocked down elvis' theory, or questioned my alignment. Not too many have made their way onto the SC scum list. You're there because your vote had very little supporting it, it was an unoriginal criticism and because I think Starbuck is scum and you are pushing the discredit line. As I said, if she's town, that whole list is meaningless.

Did you have any thoughts on my case against her? Did you read it?
I'm old now.
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #220 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:58 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

Starbuck wrote: He also paid me the favor of voting to imprint me, so I figured I'd return it.
Ugh, Not a fan of that logic at all. People voting to imprint you shouldn't change your thoughts on them at all, what you basically said there was that you can be bribed.
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #221 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:01 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

@ SerialClergyman
, in that wall o'text you mention several times that Starbuck kept pushing the problem was Deathnotes idea not that he was scummy, yet the reason you think he's scummy is because of his idea. So I'm not seeing what your trying to get at here? Also all my previous questions to you (Post 212) still stand.
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #222 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:01 pm

Buttonman - thoughts on Starbuck case?
I'm old now.
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #223 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:03 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

Heh I saw the future and answered your question before you could post!

Post 221 contains my current thoughts on it, I'm not quite understand your argument.
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #224 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:15 pm

Not true. In fact, I never accused DN of being scum. The only time I even insinuated it was very early in the game when I couldn't believe he'd suggest imprinting everyone on D1 and then not everyone D2, which at that point in the game (before the mod confirmed an advantage ot multiple scum imprints) sounded like the most anti-town thing ever.

But the issue isn't DN's scumminess of non-scumminess - it's about
Starbuck's
obsession with him. I think DN is scummy because of Starbuck's constant underhanded defence of him, not the other way around.

Every point she made aobut me and elvis was related back to DN in a way that was intended to make him look town and us look scum. In fact every point full stop in that post is related back to Deathnote in one way or another, and all of it is dismissing criticism of him except for when she directly says what she thinks which is along the lines of 'he's scummy, but not that scummy'.

It's inconsistent, it's an obvious subtext that runs throughout her post and it's scummy as hell.
I'm old now.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”