Amished
Amished
Mafia Scum
Amished
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #700 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:01 pm

Post by Amished »

Meh, there's enough wiggle room inside a specific meta that you can't be pigeonholed I find. Heck, I've been accused of being many things inside the same meta; it works well for me.

I really want to look into the mind of Hoopla for this game though, now that I think about it I can kinda see how I should've seen hito-scum but not Hoopla ever. That was really well played.
I'm going on a crusade to put more thought into my posts.

No, my name is not "Ed."
Amished
Amished
Mafia Scum
Amished
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #701 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:05 pm

Post by Amished »

This game also brings to light the "tunneling is anti-town to slightly scummy, but figure out which scum tunneling is actually being done by scum"

Quagmire (7) Hoopla, Cyberbob, cruelty, AGar, Flareonage, RedCoyote, hitogoroshi

I was only sure about Flare/Faraday. But this game also points out that "things that shouldn't be lynched for, but are are scum driven". All three scum were on the easy lynch for playstyle. I had predicted two out of three but not all of you.
I'm going on a crusade to put more thought into my posts.

No, my name is not "Ed."
EdFrost
EdFrost
Goon
EdFrost
Goon
Goon

Post Post #702 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:39 pm

Post by EdFrost »

Yeah, faraday was the only certian read.

hoopla was uncertain

hito was a town read

~ F (too lazy to get on with my actual account)
RAWR
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #703 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:25 pm

Post by RedCoyote »

Yeah, I don't think I would've lynched Hoopla, and probably not hito either. SW, don't worry too much because I sincerely doubt we would've pulled this one off anyways. XD

gg scums
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #704 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:23 pm

Post by Hoopla »

Amished wrote:I knew that there wasn't an SK or Arsonist in the game... Hoopla, did you craft your miller claim on the fact that Vi helped review the setup?
It was actually a lot deeper than some people would have expected. The Vi thing was a small factor, but my main reason for doing it, was that I knew I could get away with it on D1. It was essentially a free pass for me.

I breadcrumbed on D1 that my miller claim was fake, and that I was actually a cop, trying this gambit to get a guarenteed investigation through to Day 2. I was going to justify this by how often I've been getting targeted at night recently, and saw this as a viable play. Then, that night I was hammering out potential paths I could take this gmabit - the most elaborate was breadcrumbing an innocent result on angelmouse at the start of D2, then claiming a guilty on one of my scumbuddies to 'gauge their reaction'. As soon as they looked town from that, I was going to unclaim, and show my breadcrumb of my 'true' result on angelmouse, then try and pass it off as a town gambit.

This went into the background when Cyberbob flipped tracker - it made cop a very risky fakeclaim, and coincidentally made my miller claim look a lot more solid. To me, I thought it was a better option to try and sell the 'gimmick setup' over an elaborate nonsensical gambit. I was really happy when Ed brought up the Vi-meta showing a miller without a cop set-up. I think if I brought it up, it would have made me look like I was being manipulative. I think there was a lot of pieces of luck that fell my way this game, which is a large reason why it was successful.

Also, sorry for tunnelling so much on your Red, and making your life difficult, but I thought it was necessary!
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #705 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:28 pm

Post by Hoopla »

I also think the town probably needed one more decent powerrole to counteract the potential wild goose chase that could have resulted from a non-existant SK. There was too much deliberately confusing/distracting roles that probably had a net anti-town effect. Because the two town powerroles died so early, it really made it an uphill battle to win this game for the town.
Mindgamer
Mindgamer
Goon
Mindgamer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #706 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:02 pm

Post by Mindgamer »

Mindgamer wrote:Strong Town: Faraday
Town: Cruelty, Hitogoroshi, Hoopla
Neutral-Town: Nachomamma8
Neutral-Scum: RedCoyote
Scum: AGar, The Tracker
Strong Scum: EdFrost
Cruciare wrote:hitogoroshi,
Mafia Goon
, survived
Hoopla,
Mafia Goon
, survived
Faraday,
Mafia Watcher
, survived
Epic failure.

Anyway, congratulations. :wink:
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #707 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:35 pm

Post by RedCoyote »

No worries, Hoops. It kept me from really refocusing on Flare anyways, lol.

Ugh, that was a tough D1 though. Good Mafia + Dead PRs = Always going to be tough. I liked the setup though; I think it's pretty fair. You have to remember that the town was hit with two major curveballs that likely wouldn't be replicated in a normal scenario. SW's claim and Quagmire's policy was a really painful cocktail, especially when they were both important power roles. We win or lose as a team though, so no one person really sank our town I don't think.
Cruciare
Cruciare
Goon
Cruciare
Goon
Goon

Post Post #708 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:41 pm

Post by Cruciare »

The Setup
Mafia Goons
(hitogoroshi, Hoopla)
Mafia Watcher
(Faraday)
CPR Doctor
(Quagmire)
Doc Enabler
(AGar)
Tracker
(Cyberbob)
FBI Agent
(Snow White)
Firefighter
(EdFrost)
Vanilla Townies
(RedCoyote, Nachomamma8, cruelty, Mindgamer)

Template Role PMs
Welcome to Nice'n'Fun Mafia! You are a
Vanilla Townie
. Some bad guys have invaded the town, and must do all you can to stop them. You have no night action, but may employ the use of your all-important vote, keyboard and brain (I hope you have one) during the day. You are aligned with the Town, thus you win when all members of all factions with the Town's elimination as a direct or indirect objective are dead and at least one member of the Town is still alive.

CPR Doctor
. Some bad guys have invaded the town, and must do all you can to stop them. Once per night, you may PM me the name of the player you wish to 'protect': they will survive an attempt on their life that night if an attempt on their life was indeed made, otherwise they will die (unless something prevents them from dying). You cannot 'protect' yourself. For the purposes of Backups/Enablers, your role counts as a Doctor, i.e. if you die a Nurse may take your place and/or if a Doc Enabler dies you may lose your night action. You are aligned with the Town, thus you win when all members of all factions with the Town's elimination as a direct or indirect objective are dead and at least one member of the Town is still alive.

Doc Enabler
. Some bad guys have invaded the town, and must do all you can to stop them. You have no night action, but should you cease to live any and all hypothetical Doctors (including Mafia Doctors) will no longer be able to use their night actions for the remainder of the game. This does not guarantee the presence of a Doctor in this game. You are aligned with the Town, thus you win when all members of all factions with the Town's elimination as a direct or indirect objective are dead and at least one member of the Town is still alive.

Tracker
. Some bad guys have invaded the town, and must do all you can to stop them. Once per night, you may PM me the name of the player you wish to track: I will reply with either a list of players which your target visited that night or "no result", in which case your target did not visit anyone that night or you were prevented from using your night action. You are aligned with the Town, thus you win when all members of all factions with the Town's elimination as a direct or indirect objective are dead and at least one member of the Town is still alive.

Welcome to Nice'n'Fun Mafia! You are an
FBI Agent
. Some bad guys have invaded the town, and must do all you can to stop them. Once per night, you may PM me the name of the player you wish to investigate: I will reply with "found your guy" (if your target is a Serial Killer) or "nope" (if your target is not a Serial Killer). A Serial Killer is defined as someone who wins when they are the only living player in the game (or nothing can prevent this). This does not guarantee the presence of a Serial Killer in this game. You are aligned with the Town, thus you win when all members of all factions with the Town's elimination as a direct or indirect objective are dead and at least one member of the Town is still alive.

Firefighter
. Some bad guys have invaded the town, and must do all you can to stop them. Once per night, you may PM me the name of the player you wish to fire your water hose at: they will survive all attempts on their life made by any Arsonists that night. An Arsonist is defined as someone whose role name contains the word "Arsonist". You cannot prevent kills by any other roles, nor can you fire your water hose at yourself. This does not guarantee the presence of an Arsonist in this game. You are aligned with the Town, thus you win when all members of all factions with the Town's elimination as a direct or indirect objective are dead and at least one member of the Town is still alive.

Mafia Goon
. Some bad guys have invaded the town, oh wait, that’s you. Sicily has sent you on a mission to annihilate this pathetic little town, and you have the assistance of two associates:
ALICE
– a Mafia Goon, and
BOB
– a Mafia Watcher. Each night, you may talk amongst yourselves by way of the following QuickTopic. Once per night, one of you may PM me the name of the player you wish to kill, and a nightkill attempt will be made by the one who sent the PM. You are aligned with the Mafia, thus you win when all members of the Town are dead, at least one member of your faction is still alive and living members if your faction can no longer die (or nothing can prevent this).

Mafia Watcher
. Some bad guys have invaded the town, oh wait, that’s you. Sicily has sent you on a mission to annihilate this pathetic little town, and you have the assistance of two associates:
ALICE
and
BOB
– both Mafia Goons. Each night, you may talk amongst yourselves by way of the following QuickTopic. Once per night, one of you may PM me the name of the player you wish to kill, and a nightkill attempt will be made by the one who sent the PM. If you are not the one sending in the kill for a night, you may PM me the name of a player you wish to watch: I will reply with either a list of players which visited your target that night or "no result" - in which case no-one visited your target that night or you were prevented from using your night action. You are aligned with the Mafia, thus you win when all members of the Town are dead, at least one member of your faction is still alive and living members if your faction can no longer die (or nothing can prevent this).

Night Actions
N1
hitogoroshi
kills
Cyberbob

N1
Cyberbob
tracks
Nachomamma8
(No Result)

N1
Flareonage
watches
The Tracker
(No Result)

N1
angelmouse
protects
Mindgamer

N1
The Tracker
investigates
Mindgamer
(Negative)

N2
hitogoroshi
kills
AGar

N2
Faraday
watches
RedCoyote
(No Result)

N2
EdFrost
protects
Hoopla

So let me just explain the madness behind the setup. Everything revolved around the CPR Doctor. I thought it would be funny to have a Doctor going around killing people, with the Doc Enabler entirely clueless that the person he's enabling is actually not a Doctor in the traditional sense. The Tracker was just a balancing power role. The Watcher was intially on the Town side, but Vi recommended that I switch it to the Mafia side. The FBI Agent and Firefighter served not only to give the illusion of an SK (when it's actually a Doctor), but also messes with the Tracker and Watcher by pointlessly wandering around at night. Whilst these two do give the impression of confusion and/or distraction, once the Town starts figuring out what's really going on the claims can be used to sort of confirm the FBI Agent, the Firefighter, the CPR Doctor and maybe even the Doc Enabler (because it's not likely that there is actually an SK with the existence of both an FBI Agent and a Firefighter, and these two are pretty strange roles for scum to claim). Well anyway, all that went down the drain when the CPR Doctor got lynched D1, but it was pretty entertaining nonetheless. I thought the balance was okay (input on this would be nice), but the Town just got really unlucky by getting both of its useful power roles killed by N1, which normally should happen once in a really long time.

The Quagmire lynch D1 was hilarious to watch, I mean the most important role in the setup is refusing to read his role and getting lynched for it while still refusing to read his role (Quagmire still hasn't read his PM even now). Strategically, I think it was quite a terrible lynch TBH. Reading Hoopla's reasoning for wanting to kill Cyberbob in the scum QT was pretty hilarious too. Some choice comments by Hoopla: "I have a hunch that the town has a tracker to match the watcher", "I have breadcrumbed that my miller claim is fake, and it was a gambit to survive the night as I am a powerful town role", "I personally want Cyberbob dead, because he knows my scum game intimately ... I think he is the likeliest to disbelieve my gambit". The Town started going in a completely wrong direction from there, with none of the three leading wagons D2 being on scum. The scum were careful not to be too suspicious (Hoopla played extremely well), but part of the reason why the Town was severely lost was because they followed minor leads and inflated them into huge bandwagons. Honestly, I couldn't even really deduce what the Mindgamer, cruelty and RC wagons were about at some point. Sometime during D2 I concluded that the Town had no chance of winning - even if they managed to lynch one or two or the scum, there was no way they could've lynched all of them.

Now about my executive decisions as a mod. Quagmire - I consciously allowed him into the game knowing that he wouldn't read his role PM. I hadn't forbidden it in the rules (and I wasn't going to alter the rules just to kick Quagmire out), so it was a viable strategy IMO. Also, I'm always open to having interesting players like him join my game. EdFrost as well, I wanted to see a hydra in play and how everyone would react to it. I think the philosophy behind hydras is pretty interesting, after all it's the same role and alignment yet people still find them hard to read. Maybe studying hydras can provide the answer to why townies lynch each other. I also consciously let slip that Vi reviewed the setup, my intention here was to make it hard for scum to fakeclaim Cop without someone raising an eyebrow. Hoopla being cleared because of it was an unintended side effect. The exact number of scum was written in the 'Important Information' post, though no-one seems to have read that part for some reason. The basic purpose of that post was to warn the Town to throw all their usual assumptions out the window, but there were several other underlying purposes that I'm too tired to go into here (see the part where I used Mafia Firefighter as an example, that was meant to warn the Town that pretty much all roles can have a Mafia counterpart i.e. the Mafia Watcher).

All in all, I had hoped that the game would go on for a bit longer (hence my comment at the start of D3), but the CPR Doctor dying right away already took the twist out of the setup so my expectations weren't much anyway. Still, thanks for playing! Comments/criticisms?
Last edited by Cruciare on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #709 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:49 pm

Post by Faraday »

Heh good game all.

I was reading the thread before I got my PM and had to change some of my stances. For instance I thought Hoopla's placing of the question @ Quagmire was pretty dodgy. It took pretty much all attention of her miller claim too, which was good.

I decided I'd just throw out a load of shit for the most part, I wanted to slow the mindgamer wagon down and connect myself to one other player in case I was ever lynched. Hence the cruelty read.

I think Snow White's claim was bad, but I don't think it'd have mattered. Cruelty was this day's most likely lynch anyway and even if I'd been lynched I don't think my buddies would have been found.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #710 (ISO) » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:47 pm

Post by hitogoroshi »

Let me bring this back from the grave before MeMe drops the lock-hammer to post the quicktopic link. It's in the PM's Cruciare posted as well but that's not really an obvious place.

I also realize I never did a 'my thoughts' kind of post, which generally scum do postgame, but what can I say? Sucks the CPR doc wouldn't read his role PM, sucks Mindgamer lurked for so long, sucks Snow White fakeclaimed as an FBI agent, etc.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #711 (ISO) » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:03 am

Post by Faraday »

Well doesn't suck for us, I guess. Although it was a rather anti climactic end.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #712 (ISO) » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:06 am

Post by RedCoyote »

RedCoyote - He is a logical, talented player
*blush*
MeMe
MeMe