Newbie 934 - Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
ElectricBadger
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Newbie 934 - Game Over!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:08 am

Post by ElectricBadger »

Welcome to the Mob
Welcome to town, folks -
Ain’t no place to run,
But you can try.
We ain’t got no parks or princess ponies,
Just a couple made men who want ya dead
A whole bunch a mean with chipped teeth, bad breath
Warehouses packed with the mob
And you’re here to stop us, right?
Thing about bad men
They look just like the good
Until the lights go down and muzzles up
And you fellas start to die.
Welcome to town, folks –
Good luck; you’re gonna need it.

Living PlayersAdrien C
Shadsticle
Mafia Goon
, survived.
Deer
Eklipse
Mafia Goon
, survived.

Dead PlayersCoach Travis,
Vanilla Townie
, lynched Day One.
Nachomamma8 (IC),
Town Doctor
, killed Night One.
Razorback
Matteh
Vanilla Townie
, lynched Day Two.
mb53,
Vanilla Townie
, killed Night Two.
Super Smash Bros. Fan,
Vanilla Townie
, lynched Day Three.
Charlie (SE),
Vanilla Townie
, killed in endgame.
Lord Chronos
Robocopter87
(SE),
Vanilla Townie
, killed in endgame.

LynchesDay One Lynch
Day Two Lynch
Last edited by ElectricBadger on Sat May 22, 2010 8:30 am, edited 25 times in total.
ElectricBadger
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:09 am

Post by ElectricBadger »

Welcome to Mafia Scum!This is a newbie game – a bare-bones version of play to give new players a chance to learn the ropes. I’ll be moderating – running the mechanics of the game and doing the ‘behind the scenes’ work like posting vote counts, assigning roles and generally keeping the game moving.

Things to know about my role:
  1. I will not lie to you. I’m providing the structure and system, not the challenge: you don’t need to second guess my comments, as you will with your fellow players (two of whom are definitely lying to you!)
  2. I won’t talk a lot. Not because I don’t want to – I’ll no doubt be seething with commentary I would love to post – but, because I know roles, anything I say could be accidentally revealing, or interpreted as such.
  3. Therefore, if you have a question that doesn’t reveal your role I ask that you address the IC or SE players first. They’ve joined this game because they like being helpful, after all! (And they're appreciated!)

Game Play and Netiquette
  1. Participation in this game is a commitment and a responsibility. Please take it seriously and be considerate to others. Games generally last 6-8 weeks. If you plan to be gone longer than 48 hours, please post a bolded notice in the thread.
  2. Everyone deserves respect. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. These include disparaging comments on race, religion, age, gender, orientation, and so forth. I will only moderate politeness in the thread for extreme situations, but keep in mind it’s just a game and act accordingly.
  3. This is an open game with a public format. All the roles will be posted below. No roles or private messages from the moderator may be quoted.
  4. Players will receive acknowledgement that night actions are received and will be notified of success or failure at the end of the night. No further information will be given unless the action specifically yields it (in this game, only the cop’s investigation).
  5. Players should not discuss the game in any way outside the thread unless their roles specifically allow it, and then only in the quicktopic linked in the role message.
  6. This game will start with a Day phase; Nights are 72 hours long, during which the thread will be locked.
  7. You should aim for one post every 48 hours, minimum, to keep the game moving.
  8. Days have three week deadlines. Extensions are given only in extreme circumstances.

Voting, Deadlines and Death
  1. More than half of all living players must vote on one victim for a Lynch to occur.
  2. Votes should be bolded and unambiguous or they may not be counted, and should be in the format
    Vote: PlayerName.

3. Vote revocations should be bolded or they may not be counted, in the format
    Unvote: PlayerName
    or
    Unvote
    ). Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes, but are appreciated.
  4. You may
    Vote: No Lynch
    - a majority of these vote types will end the day without a lynch.
  5. If a simple majority is not reached at the deadline the result will be determined by the largest number of votes. If there is a tie, or the game in a lynch-or-lose situation, the result will be counted as a No Lynch.
  6. Once players have reached a majority no further voting will be counted for that day. After this point and before the end of the day – “twilight” – discussion may continue, including the victim. I will post the final count a few hours before revealing the victim’s role, to allow for any last minute corrections (which will have to be sent via PM, as the thread will be locked).
  7. Dead players may make a single “good game” style post, but may not discuss game topics or reveal game information.

Mechanics
  1. Blue
    text is reserved for Moderation commentary. No invisible, encrypted or small text is allowed.
  2. Vote counts will be posted regularly – usually once per page, or once per actual day. A count will be posted sooner if requested, but don’t abuse the privilege.
  3. If you have an issue with the game, please message me privately. The game thread is not a forum for complaints.
  4. I may make mistakes, and I appreciate being politely notified. Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed. These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
  5. Please bold any comments requiring my attention.
  6. Inactive players will be prodded after three days without posting. A player who has been prodded three times may be replaced without further notice. If I fail to notice an inactive player, please notify me.
  7. Rules violations, including attempts to break them or cause others to do so, will be dealt with according to their severity, up to and including a Modkill. Modkills will not take the place of any normal game mechanics.
  8. Any situation not explicitly covered above is subject to moderator discretion and will be handled as I see fit on a case-by-case basis.
ElectricBadger
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:17 am

Post by ElectricBadger »

SetupThis game uses the F11 setup. There is an equal chance of any of four different scenarios, chosen randomly:
  1. 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Doctor, 5 Townies.
  2. 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies.
  3. 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies.
  4. 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Doctor, 6 Townies.

A Mafia Goon will receive this role PM:You are a
Mafia Goon
, working with your partner, PlayerName, a RoleName. Once you confirm your role, you may speak in this quicktopic until the game begins and during the nights as long as you are both alive; however, you may not communicate about the game elsewhere (via PMs or on another board, for instance) or during the day.

In addition to your wits and vote your team may kill one player each night. To do this, post
Kill: PlayerName
in the quicktopic. Once posted, this may not be changed.

You win with mafia when at least half the remaining players are mafia or nothing can prevent the same.

Please reply to this message with the name of your role to confirm that you have read the rules. Good luck!

A Mafia Roleblocker will receive this role PM:You are a
Mafia Roleblocker
, working with your partner, PlayerName, a Mafia Goon. Once you confirm your role, you may speak in this quicktopic until the game begins and during the nights as long as you are both alive; however, you may not communicate about the game elsewhere (via PMs or on another board, for instance) or during the day.

In addition to your wits and vote your team may kill one player each night. To do this, post
Kill: PlayerName
in the quicktopic. Once posted, this may not be changed.

You may also block another player from performing any actions each night. To do this, post
Role Block: PlayerName
in the quicktopic. Once posted, this may not be changed. You may use this ability even if you post the night kill.

You win with mafia when at least half the remaining players are mafia or nothing can prevent the same.

Please reply to this message with the name of your role to confirm that you have read the rules. Good luck!

A Doctor will receive this role PM:You are a
Doctor
. In addition to your wits and vote you may protect one other player from harm during the night. To do this, send another player's name to me; if they are attacked by the Mafia, they will live. You may not protect yourself.

You win with town when both of the mafia players are dead. Good luck!

A Cop will receive this role PM:You are a
Cop
. In addition to your wits and vote you may perform an investigation once each night. To do this, send a player's name to me; I will let you know if your investigation shows that they are Mafia or Town.

A Vanilla Townie will receive this role PM:You are a
Vanilla Townie
. You must rely on your wits and vote to succeed. You may not perform actions during the night.

ElectricBadger
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:50 am

Post by ElectricBadger »

All roles have been sent out. The game will begin once enough players have confirmed.
ElectricBadger
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:58 am

Post by ElectricBadger »

All players have confirmed their roles; Day One begins now.

With 9 players alive, it takes 5 to lynch.

Not Voting: Shadsticle, Matteh, Eklipse, Super Smash Bros. Fan, Coach Travis, mb53, Charlie, Robocopter87, Nachomamma8

Day One ends Midnight PST, April 19th.
Last edited by ElectricBadger on Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:09 pm

Post by Super Smash Bros. Fan »

I'm sure there are a few people who despite Random Voting Stage, so I'll ask some questions:

1. Why did you join Mafiascum?
2. Have you have any previous experience in Mafia?
3. Do you like the concept of Random Voting Stage?
4. How long have you've been playing Mafia for?

I'll answer these questions:

1. I was at Smash World Forums and reading the guidlines to Mafia. I came across the forum and I was interested. After getting lynched in Smash Bros. Mafia, I decided to join this site as a newbie. I'm planning on playing Mafia games on both here and Smash World Forums. Who know, maybe we could have an cross between both sites for Mafia play.

2. Yes I had. I've completed Smash Bros. Mafia (Lynched on Day 2), currently playing The Muppet Mafia and Newbie Mafia 5, and is an replacement for the TMNT 2 Mafia (I'm not a player yet, but I am in the replacement list). All on Smash World Forums, so I have a little experience.

3. Yes I do, but there are some people who despite Random Voting Stage, so to avoid boring those who don't like the RVS (Random Voting Stage), I created those questions above.

4. I've been playing Mafia since Mach 8, 2010 on Smash World Forums.

So, what about you?

I'll vote after everyone gets there results in.
mb53
mb53
Mafia Scum
mb53
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:19 pm

Post by mb53 »

Howdy folks, I would like to kick off the game with a few questions.

1. Do you like RVS or RQS more and why?
2. How would you describe your play style?
3. How much mafia have you played before?
4. What goes through your mind before you make a post?
5. Are you nervous when you play mafia?
6. What time zone are you, and when do you post?

And @nacho, why do you play in newbie games?

Answering my own questions:
RQS for sure, RVS is very pointless in my opinion.
Well, this being only my second game, I am not sure yet. Hopefully more aggressive then my last game, I was told I should be.
This is only my second game on this site (and my first I sadly had to replace out, life got too busy hope it doesn't happen again), but I have played real life mafia some.
I try to keep in mind all possibilities before I post. Possibilities from different scum combinations to reasons why I could possibly regret making a post.
I am in U.S. Mountain time which is GMT-7 I think. I can post a lot on weekend, and I can post a lot this week (spring break). After this week though, I will only post 3:30pm to midnight my time.

Also: I like super smash bros. too.

I think my questions are pretty similar to SSBs, so feel free to skip over duplicates. One thing that my questions didn't answer: I joined mafiascum because it is fun.
i literally need to start a driving blog, please remind me
Coach Travis
Coach Travis
Goon
Coach Travis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:29 pm

Post by Coach Travis »

1.I heard about Mafia from my brother who uses a forum called Something Awful. He had me read through some games, and I instantly found the concept intriguing. So as soon as this site was mentioned as being a good place to play this game, I was interested.

2.Yes, but on smaller forums where most people were new to it, so it was strange. I've completed one game, and am now in a second one, probably going to lose tonight.

3.Yes, I enjoy random voting.

4.I believe I started in November.
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:31 pm

Just want to thank mb53 for helping contributing to the thread. Right now, he sounds like a town member, but we'll have to look more into it. This is also the first Mafia game I've ever played in full form (I was absent for part of Smash Bros. Mafia and Newbie Mafia 5 on Smash World Forums due to computer problems) (The Muppet Mafia in Smash World Forums started minutes before or after).
mb53 wrote:Howdy folks, I would like to kick off the game with a few questions.

I like both of them equally.
mb53 wrote:2. How would you describe your play style?
I hate to answer this, especially since I did terrible in Smash Bros. Mafia. But I'll try. I like to re-read posts a lot and try to keep in mind of worthy posts. I also like to think alot, which is why you'll see me makes some big posts here. Also, I play Mafia games with the best of my ability.
mb53 wrote: 4. What goes through your mind before you make a post?
That varies. Sometimes, I wonder if everyone is going to go after me because of a post, or I'm making an offense towards a particular person.
mb53 wrote:5. Are you nervous when you play mafia?
Yeah, I know that one mistake can get a person lynched.
mb53 wrote:6. What time zone are you, and when do you post?
I'm in the Central Time Zone in U.S.A. I can post all weekend and I post after school from 5:00PM-9:30PM. I'll be having less times on the games thought, as I most likely have a job coming in several weeks.
Coach Travis
Coach Travis
Goon
Coach Travis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:36 pm

Post by Coach Travis »

Sorry for the double post, the second set of questions appeared while I was answering the first one.

1. Sorry, could you explain what both are?
2.I don't want to spoil anything, but I should be reasonably active, and will likely vote quite a bit.
4. Not much, really. I more think of what I'm saying as I type, and don't plan things out that much beforehand, just get a basic idea, and then go from there.
5. Only if I'm about to get lynched, or feel I'm in danger of a night kill. Otherwise, no.
6. EST(I live near Toronto, if that helps) I prefer nights, 6PM-4AM are my best hours.
mb53
mb53
Mafia Scum
mb53
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:39 pm

Post by mb53 »

myself wrote:Also: I like super smash bros. too.
I don't no whether this came out wrong or not, but I meant the video game :D .
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:40 pm

@Coach Travis: No need to worry about repeated posting, as long as they contribute to the discussion. As a matter of fact, since editing is not allowed, multi-posting is encouraged as long as they benefit the game.

I think RQS means Random Question Stage. RVS is Random Voting Stage.
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:41 pm

@mb53: Agree, I absolutely love the Super Smash Bros. series. Heck, my username confirms my love for the series.

But that's a discussion for another day.
mb53
mb53
Mafia Scum
mb53
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:42 pm

Post by mb53 »

@ Travis:

Read http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=RQS and http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=RVS

I also suggest reading as much as possible in that wiki.
Coach Travis
Coach Travis
Goon
Coach Travis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:42 pm

Post by Coach Travis »

Alright then. I like both, slighty prefer RVS.
mb53
mb53
Mafia Scum
mb53
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:43 pm

Post by mb53 »

Oops, meant to put this in the last post, but it would also really helped if you (and anyone else out there) got an avatar.
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:45 pm

@mb53: What does an avatar do to the game other then specialize what you like and who you are?
mb53
mb53
Mafia Scum
mb53
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:47 pm

Post by mb53 »

Its easier to associate posts with a picture then a name, especially since avatars, unlike names, really jump out at you.
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:52 pm

@mb53: I see what you're saying.
Eklipse
Eklipse
Townie
Eklipse
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:26 pm

Post by Eklipse »

Hey everyoneee. Glad to kick the game off to a start. 'Suppose I'll be answering your questions. :P

SSBF's

I joined so I'd have another place to play mafia, other than where I also play now. Just to get a feel for other peoples gameplay and hopefully learn a tad bit more about the game. I've also had a ton of down time lately (compared to recently), and I'd rather do something that interests me rather than sitting her and doing nothing. :P

Yessir. I've played and completed a total of four/five mafia games, I've also modded one game that actually finished earlier this morning (on another website). I wouldn't really say that I'm all that good yet, but I'm hoping there's some potential here.

It differs from every game I've ever played. Sometimes I like it, but other times it feels like it gets drawn out. The concept however is good, but sometimes I feel as though people take it
too lightly
when there are times that people aren't necessarily joking about things.

I began my first game sometime around the start of January. Played off and on since, but a lot more recently in the last few weeks.

mb53's

RQS. It pinpoints questions that are helpful in the long run, and personally it just seems to have more of a defined point over the RVS. You get more information in the long run than you would in the RVS.

I can be aggressive at times, which might be a bit of a problem. Sometimes I won't say too much, but other times I may be around to post blocks of text (especially if I have missed a page or two.) :P I'm hoping that I'll be active, but sometimes I get defined as a lurker. Which I'll try not to allow happen. I also joke here and there, and try to find other possibilities of things.

-pokes above- But I'm also in another game, and about to start a third in the near future.

Generally the lyrics of the song I'm listening to. :P Kidding, but generally I do much the same as you. I attempt to keep in mind that a lot is possible, and that everyone has a different playing style which we should try to keep in mind.

Sometimes. Some games make me shake from being nervous. :(

I'm GMT -5, eastern time zone. I usually post at night between 4 and 11pm, but I'll likely not be posting on Wednesdays because I do have school and other things that I need to deal with (work, etc) on that day.

I also dislike Super Smash Brothers. -_- Despise itttttttt.
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:33 pm

@Eklipse: It's really nice to have an relatively experienced player from another site like you. Here's to hoping everything goes well for you.
Eklipse
Eklipse
Townie
Eklipse
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:37 pm

Post by Eklipse »

Thank you, SSBF. Hopefully I can learn a few things here and there about my own playing style/how I am from how everyone here plays.
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:42 pm

Post by Nachomamma8 »

Hello, I'm your friendly neighborhood IC, here to answer all of your questions about Mafia. If you wonder what else we're supposed to do, the article that guides my gameplay can be found here: http://www.mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php ... _a_good_IC.

That being said, I'm still a player in this game, and I'm still playing to win. I tend to be a fairly aggressive player, and I'm not planning on letting up on any of you at all. I have the same chance of being scum/town as any of you, so don't call me town just because I'm helpful, and don't call me scum just because I'm the IC :P

Some helpful tips:

1) Posting is important. Sometimes when you log in and check the game, you find yourself drowning in posts and you really don't want to read any of them, and you really don't have anything new to add to the game. In that case, press ctrl+F and search for your name and respond to anything that's directed to you. If there's nothing to respond to, ask a question about something you don't understand or something that seems off to you, even if you're not sure about it. The key is simply to post and stay active, so we don't get you confused with lurking scum.

2) Never ever ever self-hammer. Whether you're scum or town, it's always a bad move. Defending yourself until the end will give your scumbuddies time to divert the lynch or gain town cred for hammering you, or, if you're town, it will help town find the scum; it might even divert the lynch from you and onto the scum who's trying to get you lynched!

3) Always claim before you're lynched; in a newbie game, you shouldn't claim vanilla townie when you're a power role. Determining when to claim is extremely difficult, so a rule of thumb here is claiming when you're at L-1. However, if you divert the lynch without claiming, it's highly recommended doing so. Claiming either outs a power role, or helps scum find one.

Okay, now time to answer some random questions. My answers are in bold.
Super Smash Bros. Fan wrote:1. Why did you join Mafiascum?
I can't say I remember.

Of course :D

Yes. It's a great time to get reactions from players, as well as just mess around a bit.

Ever since I've joined this site, so... 6+ months, I'd say.
mb53 wrote:1. Do you like RVS or RQS more and why?
Random Voting Stage. I think that the Random Questions Stage reigns in the seriousness too early. Plus, it just makes my first post way too long...

Ever-changing.

Too much. I'm in about 10 games now, and I have 23 completed, I think.

Hmm... not a whole lot. I try to see past the posts themselves and see the intention of them, though, so I suppose I look for scum-motivation.

Rarely. Occasionally when I'm scum and backed against a wall I'll panic a bit, but not usually.

EST. My posting times are erratic, but I do post consistently.

@nacho, why do you play in newbie games?
To learn. People who just start playing mafia are the most interesting, and they often spot things no one else would ever dream of thinking about.
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:17 pm

@Nachomamma8: I remember self-lynching myself in Smash Bros. Mafia since I thought it was impossible to save myself. That was a huge mistake and it managed to **** a few people off, espcially Meta-Kirby.

Your three suggestions will help throughout the game. But also note that I will spare no mercy as well.
Matteh
Matteh
Townie
Matteh
Townie
Townie

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:43 pm

Post by Matteh »

because i wanted to play mafia?

i have played mafia games where the play is based on analysing writeups instead of posts.

Yes.

around a year? this is only my second "real" game though, as in based on analysing posts :)

---

RVS, these questions are pointless so i find it nicer to have more fun with pointless posting. plus reactions to votes and wagons generally get the Serious Stage off to a good start.

i tend to take who is acting scummiest and build a wall-of-quotes case against them and then see how they react.

answered before.

your face ;)

no.

GMT, and whenever im on.
"Everything of importance has been said before by somebody who did not discover it."
- Alfred North Whitehead.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”