[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #1375 (ISO) » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:11 am

Post by mith »

Max, I like the basic idea, though not the implementation... for one thing, if 2:2:9 is considered "fair" (I still need to run numbers on that, huh), adding the potential for several power roles while only dropping the number of pro-town players by one may nudge things too far in the town's favor (maybe not, though; perhaps all it does it make it more likely one group will get wiped out quickly, allowing the other side to win more often... in which case it's more a swinginess problem than one of balance).

Perhaps something to differentiate the scumgroups would be appropriate - if you have the potentail for the anti-Mafia town powers to be stronger than the anti-Werewolf powers (or vice versa), perhaps also include the possibility of Mafia powers (or Werewolf powers). Or, you could take it a step further and have a different set of possible town powers assigned to each scumgroup... make the Tracker a Werewolf-only possibility, for example.
FC Groningen
FC Groningen
Goon
FC Groningen
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1376 (ISO) » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:46 am

Post by FC Groningen »

farside22 wrote:
Mr. Rogers wrote:originally put this in wrong place
Mr. Rogers wrote:Game I plan to run some day

2 goons
8 townies
1 town doctor
1 mafia traitor - doesn't know scum and scum don't know him but he wins with scum

after players are randomly given these roles i will randomly give out neighbor assignments

Roll dice among all players. first person rolled is in neighbor group 1 along with his other role. Second person rolled is also in neighbor group 1 along with whatever role they already are. Do this 3 times for a total of 3 neighbor groups. Don't think I'll allow a player to be in multiple neighbor groups. I think the mentioned power roles combined with random neighboring should be fairly balanced and interesting in terms of strategies you could organize. Only way traitor gets to talk to and find out who is scum is by luck and doctor could find a good team mate could find out alot about a buddy or a teamate. Just got to figure out if i should allow mafia to be randomly neighbors with mafia. I think they should be allowed should luck make it happen. Afterall is they are together other pairs would likly go to town and that may keep things interesting.
I need any criticism and or snappy titles you can think of
Not sure how this belongs here. Seeing the Mr. Rogers name and idea I feel like calling the game:
Won't you be my neighbor?

@FC Groningen: That game is not normal. It belongs under theme games
My bad, will post it in a suitable topic.
an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Ghandi
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #1377 (ISO) » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:52 pm

Post by farside22 »

mith wrote:Max, I like the basic idea, though not the implementation... for one thing, if 2:2:9 is considered "fair" (I still need to run numbers on that, huh), adding the potential for several power roles while only dropping the number of pro-town players by one may nudge things too far in the town's favor (maybe not, though; perhaps all it does it make it more likely one group will get wiped out quickly, allowing the other side to win more often... in which case it's more a swinginess problem than one of balance).

Perhaps something to differentiate the scumgroups would be appropriate - if you have the potentail for the anti-Mafia town powers to be stronger than the anti-Werewolf powers (or vice versa), perhaps also include the possibility of Mafia powers (or Werewolf powers). Or, you could take it a step further and have a different set of possible town powers assigned to each scumgroup... make the Tracker a Werewolf-only possibility, for example.
So make a tracker role that could be for either faction or both factions?
Maybe one tracker (wolf) one RB (mafia) Or is that too over powered for the scum then?
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
imaginality
imaginality
he/they
Restricted Townie
imaginality
he/they
Restricted Townie
Restricted Townie
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #1378 (ISO) » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:05 pm

Post by imaginality »

Taking a leaf from F11, maybe mafia get an RB if there are either zero or two power roles in the game with the ability to target their faction? And same for werewolves?
"holy shit this entire time i thought imaginalitys profile was a purple seahorse" - camelCasedSnivy
Mr. Rogers
Mr. Rogers
Goon
Mr. Rogers
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1379 (ISO) » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:16 am

Post by Mr. Rogers »

Well its a open setup and yet also a new theme so i was not sure which topic it should go in. As I will likly run it as a marathon one day while using this account I think I will use the name you mentioned Farside

Also to those not in the know. Yes I am PokerFace
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1380 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:07 am

Post by Max »

2 Mafia
2 Werewolves
8 Town

0-2 of (Cop, Human Tracker, Doctor)
0-2 of (Seer, Animal Tracker, Sorcerer)

Same odds however:
- Once powers generated they are randomly allocated to either town or the other scum group.

So Cop can be Werewolf or town.
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1381 (ISO) » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:31 pm

Post by Super Smash Bros. Fan »

I'm currently in Newbie Mafia 934 and Day 1 looks to end very soon. I'm also planning to join a Mafia game here outside of the Newbie Mafia's. Should I join the Large Normal Mafia game or am I better suited for Little Italy first?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm signing up for an Small Normal Game.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #1382 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:23 am

Post by farside22 »

ortolan wrote:Let's do follow the cop now! :D
I just keep looking at this game and it just doesn't seem balanced. a 1 shot cop. 2 princess that are millers. Once a princess is lynched the town losses. I just feel this is too strongly in favor of the scum team.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #1383 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:34 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Moved from Open Queue at farside's request:
If RITP is broken/unbalanced, that's fine to remove it, though I have to wonder why this fact didn't come out in the setup discussion. And I only see it played once on-site, in Open 120, which was hardly a "cakewalk" from my fast scan (zwet is a wildcard in roles that don't want to be lynched). Can you elaborate?

AITP, though it may be a beautifully designed game, just isn't Mafia. I have yet to see a game of it that looked anything like Mafia, its mechanics are totally different, and it encourages very different play. Can someone point me to a game of AITP (since the first one) that plays like Mafia? Open 178 doesn't, as even the Assassin calls himself the "uninformed minority". Marathon 2009 AITP 1 certainly doesn't. Open 73 blew up. Open 89 supports my analysis of the setup.
::edit::
AITP 3 from Marathon 2009 looks kinda like mafia, except of course that it inverts the factions. Still, you just got lucky, which is pretty much what the game boils down to. The Mafia is screwed from the get-go, in that they have ONE chance to win under their control and a raft of ways to screw up. I think people like the setup because 90% of the time, you're not the Assassin!

I know that "in practice" mith's requirement that Open Games should be Normal is being broken right left and center, but the lone gunman version of AITP doesn't even have an Informed Minority Faction, which has always been one of mith's core requirements for ANY Mafia game. And, of course, he's Uninformed! Even Kelly Chen, who created the setup, says so. So why you keep claiming it's Mafia is beyond me...
Retired as of October 2014.
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #1384 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:48 am

Post by Ether »

For what it's worth, I complained about RitP in the Open Setup Certification Group in this post; I hadn't noticed it when it was in the setup discussion thread until it was too late and there was one in Little Italy.

Do you really think it's fair that scum got that close to winning that many times, only to have it snatched away because they were an uninformed majority? Do you really think a game like that would be
fun?

Have you ever actually played AitP as an assassin? I have (though not on-site), and it sure as hell ain't luck. It's actually pretty fun, since there's an informed opposing faction to crack. (I don't think AitP is mafia, though, so I'll stay out of that argument.)
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #1385 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:50 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

Ether wrote: I don't think AitP is mafia, though, so I'll stay out of that argument.
Yet you consider it Mafia Enought to run as an Open?
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #1386 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:55 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Mr. Flay wrote:The Mafia is screwed from the get-go, in that they have ONE chance to win under their control and a raft of ways to screw up.
No, not at all. The mafia has two different ways to win; the way scum can win any game, by getting to endgame with 1 scum vs. 1 town. (Or "get to a 2 scum/3 town" in the large version.) Basically, fi the scum dosn't get lynched, he wins. Or, the scum can figure out who the king is (which has absolutly nothing to do with luck, by the way). Or, usually, some combination of the two; the longer the scum avoids being lynched, the higher his odds are of shooting the king.

It can be balanced pretty well (depending on the numbers), and any town that tries to play by lynching randomly is probably going to lose most of the time. The town really needs to find and lynch the scum early in order to have a good chance of winning, and even then the scum has a chance.
I think people like the setup because 90% of the time, you're not the Assassin!
Having played as both town and assassin, I think assassin is usually easier.
the lone gunman version of AITP doesn't even have an Informed Minority Faction, which has always been one of mith's core requirements for ANY Mafia game. And, of course, he's Uninformed! Even Kelly Chen, who created the setup, says so. So why you keep claiming it's Mafia is beyond me...
(shrug) Sure, it's mafia, just like the 1 scum/9 town setup is mafia. (And I think Jeep and mith both played in that game, if I remember correctly). It's a variant, certainly. And, again, I think the large version with a 2-man scumgroup is probably the better version.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #1387 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:59 am

Post by Ether »

Animorpherv wrote:Yet you consider it Mafia Enought to run as an Open?
I don't think Open is the ideal queue for it, but to be honest, it's a fun setup anyway and I like the fact that it's getting regularly run at all. You can campaign against it if you'd like. I'm just here to worry about the players' experience and shit.
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #1388 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:18 pm

Post by mith »

I feel like I'm being misquoted on *both* sides. (Ok, not quite misquoted, but my name is being dropped.)

Here's what I've said/done:

1. Established as one of the current
Normal
requirements than the game must contain a Mafia
Group
2. Stated that Open Games should meet the requirements of Normal Games in general, though accepting that on occasion we have bent a rule in order to admit a setup which is especially suited to run in the Open Queue - for example, the Vengeful Townie is arguably not a "normal" role, nor is the mechanic of the scum losing if the Godfather is lynched, but obviously the Open Queue is the best place for repeat Vengeful Games.
3. Played in a
Closed
setup which happened to have only one scum in it. And that scum's role was "Serial Killer", not "Mafia", IIRC.
4. Said that games with only one "Mafia" aren't really games of "Mafia", they are games of "Serial Killer", which has many of the qualities of "Mafia" but does not have the group dynamic. It is nevertheless a perfectly valid variant/game.

FWIW, I'll add:

5. I've played one game of AitP - FtF, as the Assassin, and won (by lynching all the Guards). I like the game.
6. It really isn't Mafia, and probably shouldn't be in the Open Queue.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #1389 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:21 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

I disagree that games with One "Mafia" is Mafia. IMO, if you get Mafia, you are Mafia with a group of people, untill either you or some of them die.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #1390 (ISO) » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:01 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

mith wrote: 3. Played in a
Closed
setup which happened to have only one scum in it. And that scum's role was "Serial Killer", not "Mafia", IIRC.
(nods)

If you think AITP isn't normal enough to be considered an "open game" under current rules or whatever, that's fine, although it'd be kind of a shame because I think the open queau is a good place to run "games that have a simple concept, are open, that don't require new mod creativity in setup design, and that a lot of people want to play".

I just disagree with the idea that a game with only one scum isn't "mafia" at all; I really do think that, for all intents and purposes, a game with just a SK works pretty much the same way any other mafia game does.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #1391 (ISO) » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:39 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

mith wrote:6. It really isn't Mafia, and probably shouldn't be in the Open Queue.
Would you allow it in Mish-Mash, or is it in a no-man's land?
Retired as of October 2014.
ooba
ooba
Jack of All Trades
ooba
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1392 (ISO) » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:11 am

Post by ooba »

Night Watch Mafia: 3 Mafia Goons, 1 Role Cop (detects Goons as "vanilla"), 2 Watchers, 1 Hider, 5 Townies

Think this might favor town a lot with mass claim if scum do not hit a watcher in the night.

I looked at the original discussion thread and there wasn't any for this game - just got nominated. Tried finding the link to a game played with this setup - can someone give me the link?

Best plan for town is for
a) Watchers to claim on D1
b) Hider to claim and publicly announce his target before every night

Each watcher independently chooses to watch either the target of the hider or the other watcher.
Chances of scum getting caught if they hit watcher=p (Say 50%)
Chances of scum getting caught if they hit target=1-(1-p)^2=75%

If hider does not die, then you get a cleared innocent.
If hider dies (and his target does not), then you know his target was scum.

Either way, I see one goon being sacrificed for the hider(plus maybe one townie) and one goon for the set of watchers. I haven't even taken the role cop into consideration but he also increases cleared innocents by 1.

It sort of becomes like prisoners dilemna and gives the town good odds. I think Mafia should have a roleblocker.

So it should be
Night Watch Mafia: 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Role Cop (detects Goons as "vanilla"), 2 Watchers, 1 Hider, 5 Townies
Chronopie
Chronopie
Mafia Scum
Chronopie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1393 (ISO) » Mon May 03, 2010 5:25 pm

Post by Chronopie »

So called optimal + An RB =/= Good idea.

You'd see one watcher RB'd and the other Nk'd N1

Hider + whoever he hid behind Nk'd N2 (or the other watcher)
Show
He's
baaa-aaack

~Chrono

League of Legends
Chronopie (30) || Greyscale Aeon (12)

Steam: Chronopie

Apathy = Vanilla [/self-meta]

Because turrets are just there to give poppy a free stun ~Rayfrost
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1394 (ISO) » Wed May 05, 2010 12:46 pm

Post by Beefster »

New idea? :) ;)

Psychic Mafia

2 Telepathic Mafia Goons (day talk and night talk)
2 Telepathic Twins (Freemasons that can day talk and night talk)
1 Lie Detector
1 Vision Injector (flavored Friendly Neighbor)
6 Vanilla Townies
---Day Start---

That should work, but it might need an extra goon for balance.
On hiatus indefinitely. This was a nice distraction when I was working through my faith transition out of Mormonism, but I need to move on to bigger and better things now.
Get to know a meat boy
yabbaguy
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
(O)ptimized

Post Post #1395 (ISO) » Wed May 05, 2010 1:46 pm

Post by yabbaguy »

Lie Detector as in

Lie DetectorYou may choose one post or part of a post each Night, and I will, if possible, tell you whether the selection is wholly true or partially false.

this?

And Vision Injector I'm drawing a blank on what its PM would be.
yabbaguy ~ Winning without actually winning.

Town: 10-21 | Mafia: 3-4 | Other: 0-1
yGDB
(meta + commentary)

- On reruns at Sens-O-Tape!
Elscouta
Elscouta
Goon
Elscouta
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1396 (ISO) » Wed May 05, 2010 10:31 pm

Post by Elscouta »

Beefster wrote:New idea? :) ;)

Psychic Mafia

2 Telepathic Mafia Goons (day talk and night talk)
2 Telepathic Twins (Freemasons that can day talk and night talk)
1 Lie Detector
1 Vision Injector (flavored Friendly Neighbor)
6 Vanilla Townies
---Day Start---

That should work, but it might need an extra goon for balance.
If this is open, all players would start the game saying "I'm town", making the lie detector a cop.
I'm town. Please lynch someone else.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #1397 (ISO) » Fri May 07, 2010 1:56 pm

Post by Hoopla »

I don't have a name lined up yet, but I was thinking about this yesterday;

- There are four powerroles; Jailkeeper, 1-shot-vig, Tracker, Role-Cop

- Three of these roles are chosen randomly.

- Of those three, the town gets two, and scum gets one (also determined randomly)

- 2 mafia vs. 8 townies, Daystart

My initial thoughts are there aren't any blindingly obvious breaking strategies. Even the potency of scum gaining the 1-shot-vig is minimalised by starting with even numbers, so a double-kill doesn't remove one of the three town mislynches. I randomly generated a few set-ups using this formula and I didn't see any obviously unbalanced games - this is probably due to each role having town and scum use.

But I'm worried there might be breaking strategies that emerge from the
amount
of powerroles being known in the game - an early scum PR lynch creates two confirmed town PR's which would be very hard to come back from. I wouldn't mind someone probing this concern further than I did, because it feels exploitable.

The obvious solution (if there is a problem), is to include additional options with fluctuating amounts of PR's, but I feel it is unwanted complexity, when the appeal to me is the very managable amount of scenarios possible. I don't want to increase that number too much.

I wouldn't mind some thoughts on this though.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #1398 (ISO) » Fri May 07, 2010 2:15 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

Maybe 0-3 PRs, where if there are 2 or 3, Scum get one?

ooba
ooba
Jack of All Trades
ooba
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1399 (ISO) » Fri May 07, 2010 4:20 pm

Post by ooba »

Hoopla wrote:I don't have a name lined up yet, but I was thinking about this yesterday;

- There are four powerroles; Jailkeeper, 1-shot-vig, Tracker, Role-Cop

- Three of these roles are chosen randomly.

- Of those three, the town gets two, and scum gets one (also determined randomly)

- 2 mafia vs. 8 townies, Daystart

My initial thoughts are there aren't any blindingly obvious breaking strategies. Even the potency of scum gaining the 1-shot-vig is minimalised by starting with even numbers, so a double-kill doesn't remove one of the three town mislynches. I randomly generated a few set-ups using this formula and I didn't see any obviously unbalanced games - this is probably due to each role having town and scum use.

But I'm worried there might be breaking strategies that emerge from the
amount
of powerroles being known in the game - an early scum PR lynch creates two confirmed town PR's which would be very hard to come back from. I wouldn't mind someone probing this concern further than I did, because it feels exploitable.

The obvious solution (if there is a problem), is to include additional options with fluctuating amounts of PR's, but I feel it is unwanted complexity, when the appeal to me is the very managable amount of scenarios possible. I don't want to increase that number too much.

I wouldn't mind some thoughts on this though.
Well if scum is lynched D1, then its pretty bad for them - esp. if the powerless goon is lynched.

Assuming the powerless goon is lynched and a night kill on townie occurs, the best strategy for the town is to mass claim.
- Scum cannot claim his power role because then all the town has to do is to lynch the three powerroles in a row
- If Rolecop was on the town side, he clears a townie on N1 (but this happens only in the case of the powerless goon being lynched)
- If JK was on the town side, he clears a townie on N1 (since a kill happened; I am assuming JK's target cannot perform his night actions)
- So can a tracker

So there's a good chance you'll have 2-4 confirmed townies at the end of N1 (out of 7/8) if one of the scum is lynched depending on which roles are there on the town side.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”