Newbie 960 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
andrew94
andrew94
Mafia Scum
andrew94
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Mon May 24, 2010 4:59 pm

Post by andrew94 »

ren, i dont want to say anything unnesseccary YET

---
Vote Count

Day 1; 9 alive, 5 to lynch

andrew94 (2) - Titiboo, mb53
NomDePlume (1) - wolframnhart
Ren (1) - NomDePlume

Yet to vote (5) - andrew94, Memnon, Equinox, Kenman, Ren
andrew94
andrew94
Mafia Scum
andrew94
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Mon May 24, 2010 5:03 pm

Post by andrew94 »

anyways, what does every1 think about the guy that had to go to work
i hate walls, i will only skim walls.
Ren
Ren
Goon
Ren
Goon
Goon

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Mon May 24, 2010 11:20 pm

Post by Ren »

andrew94 wrote:ren, i dont want to say anything unnesseccary YET
Please explain what you mean here.
[b]2 Minds 1 Body[/b]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative_identity_disorder
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Tue May 25, 2010 7:42 am

Post by Equinox »

Kenman wrote:Also, the RQS stage is pointless unless just trying to get to know someone. In my experience, it has never lead to tells.
Getting to know someone in a game can be important, even if only minimally so. One can figure out if there's a language barrier, if someone's more likely to exhibit newbie tells, or if someone is used to a drastically different meta, which would affect the way they hunt scum. So far it's done the job.

But yeah, no tells either way. It's more for ice-breaking... and a license to use whatever they say now against them later if they appear scummy.
Ren wrote:Note away but we haven't lied about anything and we meant what we said.
Unfortunately, the only way I can completely be sold on this is after the game is over when all the roles are revealed. The reason I'm not so trusting is I've done it before, so I'm just keeping my bases covered.
andrew94 wrote:anyways, what does every1 think about the guy that had to go to work
Well, people sometimes have to leave for real-life issues, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

I think everyone who is willing to participate in RQS has already done so, so it's time for me to reveal my answers and motivations.
Equinox wrote:1. What is your primary language?
2. Have you had any experience with Mafia outside of this website? It can be real-life Mafia, IRC Mafia, forum Mafia, anything Mafia- or Werewolves-related.
3. Do you feel Mafia theory has any place in scum hunting? Why or why not?
4. Should town players ever lie? Why or why not?
5. What is your preferred method of scum hunting? Why? (If this is your first time playing Mafia, I don't expect you to answer this question as thoroughly as everyone else, but I'd still like to hear your thoughts.)
6. What do you think about fence-sitters, the people who don't have a position either way? Is it an anti-town thing to do? Why or why not?
7. This question is very important. It must be answered. Coca-Cola or Pepsi? :D
1. English.

2. My MafiaScum games are in my wiki; otherwise, I've been playing on IRC for the past couple of years. They use a lot of PRs over there, so the meta is drastically different.

3. Scum are aware of the theories as well, but I still think we can refer to them when we're hunting scum. Even though theory may be based on ideal situations or whatnot, it's still grounded in past events and evidence, and scum often slip in similar ways; that's how the theories were made.

4. Where I came from, townies often claimed PRs and vice versa to save themselves and other PRs. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. I say this because I think this is what andrew94 meant when he said there are reasons why town can and should lie. His experience may have suggested that town do so to protect their PRs and themselves. I wish he had elaborated when someone confronted him about it, but since he didn't say it, I figured I would.

In a semi-open setup like this, though, where we might not have PRs at all, it would be detrimental if a town player claimed a PR, since town would end up relying on information that wasn't even true. It would be equally bad for a PR to claim town, too, since it would be that much more difficult for the PR to make his/her case later when it's actually needed (e.g., cop claims town, then town might choose to not believe cop when there's an investigation result). A town player may play deceptively -- placing a vote on someone s/he doesn't truly suspect, for instance -- but they shouldn't lie outright.

I'm on the fence for open setups, though.

5. Since I tend to fence-sit in the beginning when there's not much to go on, I don't find initial fence-sitting to be scummy. Fence-sitting after the early stages of Day 1, when everyone has chimed in and there are cases to be picked apart, would be worrisome, though, and I won't hesitate to call people out on it.

6. ...Coca-Cola tastes better.

As for the reasons I picked these questions...

1. I am the kind of person who would pick on semantics. Sure, both town and scum slip up when they say things, but I like reading into word and sentence choices. I wanted to make sure that, if I ended up targeting someone on the basis of something they said, it wasn't due to unfamiliarity with the language. (I would have asked this even if andrew94 was not playing, so I didn't ask this to give him an out.)

2. If someone is from a different site/channel, they're probably going to use their experience there while scum hunting here, so some practices they use might not necessarily be scummy; it's just what they're used to doing. This might be used as an excuse crutch as well, so I wanted to know their answer to this question in the event they use it to explain their actions later.

3. I asked this mainly out of curiosity, since I've seen people object to it. I also wanted to know if we had players who were more inclined to use gut than reasoning/theory, since I've seen those as well.

4. This ties into #2, though andrew94's insistence on lying influenced my asking the question. If anyone else thought lying was a good idea, I wanted to know that, too.

5. In hindsight, this might not have been a very good question to ask, but it can be used all the same. I expect the newbies to change their tactics as the game goes on and they get more experience, but it shouldn't be too drastic of a change... because then there's the issue of inconsistency. Are you changing your tactic because you're scum and you suddenly realized that you're painting yourself into a corner? Or are you just newbie town, learning the ropes?

6. Heh. I did steal the question from Netopalis. This was for kicks and giggles. ;)

I see a few people have differing opinions on town lying and fence-sitters. Good stuff. It looks like this game is going to become interesting pretty quickly. :D
wolframnhart
wolframnhart
Mafia Scum
wolframnhart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Tue May 25, 2010 8:12 am

Post by wolframnhart »

Sorry for not posting all, hopefully I can keep up with the game again, if work continues this way though I might have to replace out.

first the questions:
1)Engligh

2)No

3)I think it depends on the person. For me I believe every game can be different, and to an extent every person can play differently from their last game, either to shake things up or because their alignment is different.

4)NO TOWN PLAYER SHOULD EVER LIE. It helps nothing in the end and can really hurt town in the long run, either by false claiming a lie that actually brings out the real power role or by giving scum easy opportunity to vote for a liar.

5)Dunno if I have a preferred method of scum hunting, i try to find inconsistancy in a persons posting, or wording, etc., sometimes i get lucky and am right, sometimes I am not. I have even gone with pure gut (early game I hate gut late game) and get lucky.

6)I see it as anti-town, by not giving information of who you do and don't think are scum, or what you think of a certain person etc, can again hinder town in figuring out who the true scum is (unless it is the fence sitter of course).

7)Friggen Coca-Cola of course, Pepsi leaves a crappy feeling on my teeth.

Andrew's play somewhat reminds me of a player NDP and i just got done playing with, a very scummy townie named Donny, however I will
FoS Andrew
because I don't like the fact he is being non-forthcoming with info about his experience, it is a simple question that he could easily give an answer to, and his odd question about me needing to work seems more like a deflection question to get attention off himself.

I will also
unvote
for now until i get a better grasp of this game, i have others i have to catch up on now *sigh*
They tell you never hit a man with a closed fist, but it is on occasion hilarious. - Malcolm Reynolds

Wolf, I fucking hate your face, but still <3 you as a whole. - Starbuck
inHimshallibe
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
SmartyPants

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Tue May 25, 2010 6:37 pm

Post by inHimshallibe »

Vote Count

Day 1; 9 alive, 5 to lynch

andrew94 (2) - Titiboo, mb53
Ren (1) - NomDePlume

Yet to vote (6) - andrew94, Memnon, Equinox, Kenman, Ren, wolframnhart

OK, so tomorrow a first round of prods will go out to those who still need it.
Show
"I'm from Indiana. I know what you're thinking: Indiana... Mafia." - Jim Gaffigan

Mod of the continuing World of Warcraft Dungeon Run series
:

Mini 1135 - Mafia in the Deadmines
Mini 1208 - Mafia in the Scarlet Monastery
Memnon
Memnon
Goon
Memnon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Wed May 26, 2010 7:54 am

Post by Memnon »

There is absolutely nothing going on in this game, so I am going to do something to spark discussion.

Vote: andrew94

For lack of anything else to go on, I am going to push for the policy lynch.
Thanks to Equinox for putting together my wiki without my knowledge. <3

I am currently on hiatus. Expected return date: next spring.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Wed May 26, 2010 10:36 am

Post by Equinox »

Considering andrew94 hasn't yet come to answer any of our questions when he's in the habit of responding to them, I wonder what good voting him would do.

Why are you going for the policy lynch? Is it because andrew94 is town, or is it because andrew94 is scum?
NomDePlume
NomDePlume
Goon
NomDePlume
Goon
Goon

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Wed May 26, 2010 11:09 am

Post by NomDePlume »

I'm here just been tied up with work. Will post tomorrow.
Memnon
Memnon
Goon
Memnon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Wed May 26, 2010 12:55 pm

Post by Memnon »

Cuz hes town but hes acting pretty anti-town so he is more of a hindrance to the town than a help. Therefore we policy lynch him. Not that my vote matters a whole lot, as it is still only L-2.

andrew94
andrew94
Mafia Scum
andrew94
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Wed May 26, 2010 5:19 pm

Post by andrew94 »

im a hindrance? what have u done apaprt from ur graphics calculator
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Wed May 26, 2010 5:28 pm

Post by Equinox »

andrew94 wrote:im a hindrance? what have u done apaprt from ur graphics calculator
Mainly because you've shown you have no problems with lying. If you're town, lying can make us lose. If you're mafia, well, you just need to die.

mb53 has made a case against you; Memnon, Ren, and I have questions regarding your responses to my RQS. I suggest reading the thread and answering those.
andrew94
andrew94
Mafia Scum
andrew94
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Wed May 26, 2010 10:31 pm

Post by andrew94 »

pls post those questions again, i must have skipped through them
Memnon
Memnon
Goon
Memnon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Thu May 27, 2010 12:36 am

Post by Memnon »

What have I done? Read the thread.

NomDePlume
NomDePlume
Goon
NomDePlume
Goon
Goon

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Thu May 27, 2010 2:44 am

Post by NomDePlume »

Let's take a look at Titiboo. Isolate Titiboo by changing the drop-down at the bottom of the page from "all users" to "Titiboo" then press <go>:
Titiboo ISO #3 wrote:And andrew, you definitely want as much activity as possible if you're town. It lets you get reads on people, which can only be a good thing.
This is the only part of any of his very few posts that could be described "content" not "noise". He tells us that activity is what you want if you're town, yet his own activity is nearly zero: five posts of nothing, one vote that's on the easy target with no better reasoning that it's where he feels comfortable. He's not town by his own evaluation surely? That only leaves scum. He doesn't answer my request to explain what Andrew's scummy intentions are.
Titiboo ISO #3 wrote:Okay, I don't think I ever popped in recently, but I just happened to randomly vote someone I'm comfortable keeping my vote on for now. So I'm gonna keep my vote on andrew94 for a while, until someone else comes up.
first part: "Okay, I don't think I ever popped in recently" = I'm lurking but just enough not seem active
second part: "but I just happened to randomly vote someone I'm comfortable keeping my vote on for now." = hey I luckily bagged number one slot on the easy lynch with my random vote, I'm not giving up my spot (number one spot looking much less scummy than later positions so a great place for scum to be)
third part: "So I'm gonna keep my vote on andrew94 for a while, until someone else comes up" = I'm not giving any reasons, I'm not quizzing Andrew at all, I'm not scum-hunting anywhere else you lot can do that for me - I'm staying on my good spot unless it's not going to a lynch and someone finds me a better one.

UNVOTE
VOTE: TITIBOO

@Memnon: talk me through this, you think Andrew is town but want to lynch him anyway? Having said earlier "We're trying to find scum" that's a strange position to take. As to policy lynching Andrew I'm against it. I don't have a scum read on him and he is provoking plenty of discussion - in fact the game is revolving around him. He's posting plenty and people's reactions to him are very interesting, I think we should keep him.

@MOD:
I don't see a time deadline, does this game operate without one?
NomDePlume
NomDePlume
Goon
NomDePlume
Goon
Goon

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Thu May 27, 2010 3:09 am

Post by NomDePlume »

EBWOP: second quote is ISO #4, and "I'm lurking but just enough not seem active " doesn't make sense what I meant to say was: "I'm lurking but posting just often enough to seem active"
Memnon
Memnon
Goon
Memnon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Thu May 27, 2010 3:59 am

Post by Memnon »

NomDePlume wrote:@Memnon: talk me through this, you think Andrew is town but want to lynch him anyway? Having said earlier "We're trying to find scum" that's a strange position to take. As to policy lynching Andrew I'm against it. I don't have a scum read on him and he is provoking plenty of discussion - in fact the game is revolving around him. He's posting plenty and people's reactions to him are very interesting, I think we should keep him.
Fair enough. I didn't think about it that way. Point taken.

However, what I meant was that I don't think he is scum but he is anti-town enough to make me want to have him removed. He hasn't done anything productive except, as you say, inadvertently provoke discussion. If I get a scum read on someone, rest assured that they will take priority.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Thu May 27, 2010 5:46 am

Post by Equinox »

andrew94 wrote:pls post those questions again, i must have skipped through them
Please pay attention. You need to read what people are saying. You will not find any mafia by skimming.

I will post the questions again. However, if you continue to show me that you are not reading, I will have to lynch you.
Memnon wrote:
andrew94 wrote:there are 'good' lies and 'bad' lies. my 'lie' was considered good.
Considered by whom?
Memnon wrote:
andrew94 wrote: i also notice that most posts you make include a quote from someone else. so what if i want to go to sleep? can i not? so what if i dont like answering your question? i like avoiding it. can i not? its my first game on this website, why should i reveal my experience and get owned?
What is this? You practically blew up. There is no need to get all worried and defensive this early in the game. Does that mean you have something to hide?
Ren wrote:
andrew94 wrote:2. Have you had any experience with Mafia outside of this website? It can be real-life Mafia, IRC Mafia, forum Mafia, anything Mafia- or Werewolves-related.
other forum mafia, but extremely different playing style- firstly, every1 bullshits and theres way more ppl in a game, i am not used to this new website, where ren immeditely wants to know about my experience. i mean wth.. i dont want my experience known....
Why do you not want your experience known?
Ren wrote:
andrew94 wrote:4. Should town players ever lie? Why or why not?
errr think about it yourself, there are plenty of occasions were townies lie
Like what? If you really are town you don't need to lie about anything.
Ren wrote:
andrew94 wrote:ren, i dont want to say anything unnesseccary YET
Please explain what you mean here.
Equinox wrote:
andrew94 wrote:anyways, what does every1 think about the guy that had to go to work
Well, people sometimes have to leave for real-life issues, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.
wolframnhart wrote:however I will
FoS Andrew
because I don't like the fact he is being non-forthcoming with info about his experience, it is a simple question that he could easily give an answer to, and his odd question about me needing to work seems more like a deflection question to get attention off himself.
Ren
Ren
Goon
Ren
Goon
Goon

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Thu May 27, 2010 11:08 am

Post by Ren »

Hey guys sorry we haven't been online much because we have been working some crazy hours helping out our mom with catering. We will still try to get on to post when we can but we will be really busy with work every day till monday and then things should go back to normal.
NomDePlume wrote:@Memnon: talk me through this, you think Andrew is town but want to lynch him anyway? Having said earlier "We're trying to find scum" that's a strange position to take. As to policy lynching Andrew I'm against it. I don't have a scum read on him and he is provoking plenty of discussion - in fact the game is revolving around him. He's posting plenty and people's reactions to him are very interesting, I think we should keep him.
You kind of left it out so thought it would be worth pointing it out but what he said was, "We're trying to find scum, not prevent innocent townies from being lynched." Any reason in particular for cutting his sentence in half? It's not such a strange position to take considering the whole sentence.

You do make a good point that andrew is provoking discussion though.
[b]2 Minds 1 Body[/b]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative_identity_disorder
inHimshallibe
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
SmartyPants

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Thu May 27, 2010 11:13 am

Post by inHimshallibe »

Sorry, prods went out today. mb53, Kenman, and Titiboo each received a prod. They will receive one more if they have not posted by Saturday, and I will begin replacing any that have yet to post by Monday.

Sorry if I did not make this clear before, but the deadline for Day 1 is June 9 at 10:00 pm CST.
Show
"I'm from Indiana. I know what you're thinking: Indiana... Mafia." - Jim Gaffigan

Mod of the continuing World of Warcraft Dungeon Run series
:

Mini 1135 - Mafia in the Deadmines
Mini 1208 - Mafia in the Scarlet Monastery
NomDePlume
NomDePlume
Goon
NomDePlume
Goon
Goon

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Thu May 27, 2010 11:53 am

Post by NomDePlume »

Ren wrote:
You kind of left it out so thought it would be worth pointing it out but what he said was, "We're trying to find scum, not prevent innocent townies from being lynched." Any reason in particular for cutting his sentence in half? It's not such a strange position to take considering the whole sentence.
Just trying to keep the point short and succint. Memnon said he thought Andrew is town, our objective is to lynch scum not lynch anti-town townies.
mb53
mb53
Mafia Scum
mb53
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Thu May 27, 2010 1:23 pm

Post by mb53 »

Sorry for neglecting this thread, it can get busy juggling 4 games.

unvote
I still find andrew suspicious, and will be watching him like I would watch someone I am voting for.

Vote: Titiboo

NDP makes very true points, and I think Titiboo could use some more pressure.
i literally need to start a driving blog, please remind me
wolframnhart
wolframnhart
Mafia Scum
wolframnhart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Thu May 27, 2010 3:48 pm

Post by wolframnhart »

Mod I am so sorry I don't mean to flake out like this (especially in a newbie game) but work is really doing a toll on me, please replace me. Sorry everyone I was looking forward to playing with you all =/
They tell you never hit a man with a closed fist, but it is on occasion hilarious. - Malcolm Reynolds

Wolf, I fucking hate your face, but still <3 you as a whole. - Starbuck
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Thu May 27, 2010 4:12 pm

Post by Equinox »

Good luck and I hope everything goes well, wolframnhart.
NomDePlume wrote:our objective is to lynch scum not lynch anti-town townies.
However, anti-town players can be detrimental if allowed to survive to LyLo. It's not likely we'll run into that problem, but it's still something to consider.

Titiboo last posted on Sunday. It might be a real V/LA. I guess we'll see following the prod.
andrew94
andrew94
Mafia Scum
andrew94
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Thu May 27, 2010 8:22 pm

Post by andrew94 »

ok im gonna answer the questions:

the lies are considered good by myself because i had something to hide- my experience
in other games, i notice the most pro ppl get pwned first and 2nd nights, so im not wanting to be too pro.
cops and doctors and vigiliantes lie about their role
and i believe the truth is that im experienced?
im just thinking its sus that that guy had to go to work, so making discussion

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”