Theme Test Market

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #2475 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:13 pm

Post by Andrius »

Max wrote:I think to get 100 you would need to use a bad idea nightless theme. Otherwise it would take a long while for the game to end. And getting a majority of 51 would take forever your lynching system would have to be bizarre.
Obviously, there would be DayKills, multiple lynchings, etc. Perhaps we would divide all the players into smaller lynching parties. lol
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2476 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:32 pm

Post by Nobody Special »

Yeah, obviously has to be (many) more than one lynch per day .... until the number of living players gets manageable. We might be able to switch to "normal" by then.

Perhaps I should make a separate thread?
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #2477 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:36 pm

Post by Andrius »

Nobody Special wrote:Yeah, obviously has to be (many) more than one lynch per day .... until the number of living players gets manageable. We might be able to switch to "normal" by then.

Perhaps I should make a separate thread?
Naw, just make a QT, and we can discuss it there. I like that idea.
With 100 people we can't let alot of people see the development, and we can only have like 1 reviewer. lol
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2478 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:37 pm

Post by zoraster »

you could potentially use my teleportation mafia theme with some tweaks to do 100ish (90, 96 or 105 would be easier).

If you're not running it as a joke, you've got a pretty tough climb to figure out how to do it and have it be fun and require skill rather than luck. A joke thing would work (tons of day kills, night kills, things blowing up, etc.), but you're not really going to get much fun out of it, and it's going to be a pain in the ass to read if you're trying to take it seriously.

If I were to try and work 100ish (99) players into a game and I was given 10 minutes to design something, this is how I'd do it:

9 person initial games (12 of them) with 1 week deadlines and nightless, using some sort of F11-esque thing (open setup with multiple variations possible but hopefully equal - unlike f11). Winners move on. If scum team wins, both move on. If town wins, they submit secret ballot to vote one townie off.

As soon as all the games are finished, the next round will have 2-6 games (depending, obviously, on the sides that are winning). Closed game, but announced sides (for example, either "one mafia" or "one mafia, sk" or "two mafias"). Winner moves on, town has to vote someone off. 1 week deadlines, nightless. Designing these games will start as soon as it becomes obvious that there are two possibilities for the game makeups.

Final game is designed and played, 1 week deadlines with nightless.

Tournament Mafia or whatever. Would require an insane amount of work plus multiple mods, but i guess it's doable. Still, I wouldn't do something like this.

---
Your best bet is to go for funny and fast rather than competitive and fun.

---
Honestly, if you can't promise people that it'll last no longer than a week, I don't think you'll get 100 people to play.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #2479 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:40 pm

Post by Andrius »

I was thinking of having it be semi-tournament style.

Like groups of 20 or so will play, and then whoever survives that round will be thrown into the overall round, which would be a massive kill-fest.

So it wouldn't be 100 players at a time, more like 20 players at a time, so.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2480 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:43 pm

Post by zoraster »

Andrius wrote:I was thinking of having it be semi-tournament style.

Like groups of 20 or so will play, and then whoever survives that round will be thrown into the overall round, which would be a massive kill-fest.

Your enemy will be flagging interest as it takes a long time to do. If you call it tournament mafia, you'll necessarily need to make it skill based (or such as that is in forum mafia), so your games can't be the "day 1 lasts 29 hours" type of thing.

And survive? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of a game of mafia?
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #2481 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:44 pm

Post by Andrius »

zoraster wrote:
Andrius wrote:I was thinking of having it be semi-tournament style.

Your enemy will be flagging interest as it takes a long time to do. If you call it tournament mafia, you'll necessarily need to make it skill based (or such as that is in forum mafia), so your games can't be the "day 1 lasts 29 hours" type of thing.
I'm not sure though. I'm not the #1 here, just helping from the sidelines. lol

Isn't it mafia already a game of skill though?
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #2482 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:33 pm

Post by Hoopla »

I think going with 15:85 mountainous is the best way to go. Make sure it is 3-week deadlines though, so the game doesn't stagnate.
Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #2483 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:16 pm

Post by Ythill »

Making it super-casual might help. Have a main thread for votes and vote-counts, a general discussion thread, and allow discussion through other means. Kinda like Zor's (almost) No Rules game. Votes cannot be retracted. Once everyone has voted, the top # vote earners are identified as the candidates for the actual lynch election. Multiple small scumgroups to prevent bloc control and kill off multiple people at night. Lynchers and jesters would be very fun to play (but shouldn't end the game, obv).
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

"So yeah, it is a sign from the angels." ~CooLDoG
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #2484 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:21 pm

Post by Hoopla »

It's a nice thought experiment, if only that. The only possible way I could see something of that magnitude run would be to have a low threshhold for lynches, so a 'race' occurs, if you will. Something like 15 votes will get someone lynched, but after every, say, two/three lynches scum factions and PR's get another action. This way you don't need to hear from everyone, waiting for a lynch.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #2485 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:27 pm

Post by Andrius »

Hoopla wrote:It's a nice thought experiment, if only that. The only possible way I could see something of that magnitude run would be to have a low threshhold for lynches, so a 'race' occurs, if you will. Something like 15 votes will get someone lynched, but after every, say, two/three lynches scum factions and PR's get another action. This way you don't need to hear from everyone, waiting for a lynch.
So I just saw Inception, and *obviously* like every great thing comes the thought: 'how do I turn this into a playable mafia game?'
Now, this may just be one hell of a thought experiment, but I'm going to spend some time tomorrow just seeing what I can come up with.
I want to see how far I can take it, if only for fun and thought experiments. :D

Re: 100 Mafia: Definitely lynchers, survivors, jesters, lots of linked roles (lovers, etc). CHAOS ENSUES. Hoopla's got a good point though, on waaay reduced lynch thresholds.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2486 (ISO) » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:01 am

Post by zoraster »

Isn't it mafia already a game of skill though?
and
Re: 100 Mafia: Definitely lynchers, survivors, jesters, lots of linked roles (lovers, etc). CHAOS ENSUES.
Mafia is a game of skill, but when you start to do the crazy stuff necessary to make a 100 person game playable, you reduce this by a lot. Chaos is not a great indicator that skill will play a large part.
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2487 (ISO) » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:08 am

Post by Max »

"Quicklynch" Ruleset:

Lynch is equal to Largest Mafia + 1
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #2488 (ISO) » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:15 pm

Post by Andrius »

@ zor: There would have to be lots of crazy stuff and/or shenanigans. Hm.

@ Max: Yeah, that's not a bad idea. And we could always have multiple lynches a day. Perhaps in the spirit of "Lights Out" to prevent mass-lynchings.
gonnano
gonnano
Goon
gonnano
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2489 (ISO) » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:17 pm

Post by gonnano »

has anyone ever run a Hitchhiker's Guide mafia? or an Asimov-themed mafia?
Some men are born mediocre, some achieve mediocrity, and some have mediocrity thrust upon them.
- Joseph Heller
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #2490 (ISO) » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:57 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

gonnano wrote:has anyone ever run a Hitchhiker's Guide mafia?
2006 mini: http://mafiascum.net/archive/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3382
2003 mini: http://www.mafiascum.net/archive/viewto ... ?f=23&t=81
Mini 34 was also apparently HHGTTG, but it may be lost to the Crash.

I think there was also one more recently...
Retired as of October 2014.
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2491 (ISO) » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:22 pm

Post by Nobody Special »

I believe hascow is planning another HHGTTG Mafia.
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
gonnano
gonnano
Goon
gonnano
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2492 (ISO) » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:47 am

Post by gonnano »

Thanks, Mr. Flay.
Some men are born mediocre, some achieve mediocrity, and some have mediocrity thrust upon them.
- Joseph Heller
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2493 (ISO) » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:30 am

Post by Max »

Max wrote:I'm not sure on the theme of my next large(s):
'Semi-Open Series' - What makes this the theme is the fact that the theme will also be semi-open (from a set of Mechanic alterations)
'Family Mafia' - This is currently just in its drafting stage where rather than each person being a single person they are a family, one family shares the same alignment except each character has a different power. This is an example of a role/family.
The Socialites wrote:You are the
Socialites
. The friendliest family in town with contacts in all walks of life from the successful business family
The Riches
to the detested of the town
The Whites

You are a family with two parents and two children.

You are
Momma Socialite
you are a party queen, spending nights out frequently. Every other night you may go partying thus making yourself immune to kills, you may choose to take your husband with you. If you take your husband with you there is a 50% chance you gain power information about somebody else who attended the party (Voyeur).
You are
Poppa Socialite
you like to spend nights out flirting with women half your age. Don't despair though your wife doesn't know. If your wife goes to a party without you, you may target one female of your choice and form a mason-group with her. If you go to a party with your wife and one of your subjects is there the relationship will fail and you will leave your family.
You are
Cheerleading Socialite
you are like your mother. Except you use the internet and telephones (ZOMG you just got a text). You are in contact with {Insert other teenagers in town} you may send up to ten texts each night to them. If another teenager hosts a party you will have to go and be considered roleblocked for that night.
You are
Misfit Socialite
, unlike the rest of your family you don't like parties. Instead you prefer your own company and the vast library your family has (though you doubt others in the family can read), each night you may choose between going to chess club (earning yourself an extra vote) or going to the opera (teaching you the capability to converse with the {insert foreign surname} - with increasing success as you go more frequently)
Obviously this is a talk-heavy role. This family would have 4 votes (one for each family member) and these votes can be split. Parties would have repercussions (drinks might get spiked) taking out their vote or roleblocking any potential benefits.

Relay Mafia
- Normal set-up with 13 players but every X days the people playing each role changes. Say A-M are playing days 1 and 2 then day three they change to N-V. There is an intermediate period where the two can talk (probably limited to a week). I'm not sure if fresh people should come through again or whether they change back to their original characters.
I just wanted to bring this back up to see if anyone had any thoughts.

EDIT: By Semi-Open I mean Variable-Set-Up Opens such as C9
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #2494 (ISO) » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:25 am

Post by Seraphim »

Family Mafia looks really interesting.

On another note, I am currently planning on running The World Ends With You Mafia. It is currently in the pre-planning stages.
Aranneas
Aranneas
Townie
Aranneas
Townie
Townie

Post Post #2495 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:27 am

Post by Aranneas »

Heretics!
The time of the old gods is done. The people have cased aside the faiths that helped them through the most troubled of times, and embraced a new living deity as their lord and master. It is an age of great upheaval and chaos; for those few who cling to the beliefs of their forefathers, it is a time of tragedy and danger.

But all is not yet lost. Other lands have grown stronger and wiser in the time that this people has spent shedding the blood of its own. The priests of the old pantheon have not fallen with their temples. With quickness and guile, faith, and perhaps some luck, they might still make it out alive.

Priests of Forsaken GodsIn 'Heretics', each player takes the role of a priest dedicated to one god in a pantheon which used to be the predominant religion in the region. At the start of the game, one of the assigned gods is randomly chosen to become the 'Overdeity'. Priests of that god are basically the 'mafia' of the game. The player group as a whole is a group of renegades stowed away on a ship, attempting to escape the kingdom from which they've been exiled. Unbeknown to most of them, however, they've taken on a few traitors along the way.

Spells and Magic SpheresEach player begins the game with three randomly dealt 'spells', or abilities, that they can use. They will be randomly granted an additional spell at the start of each day, when that player prays to his or her deity for guidance. These abilities are typically single use, and encompass a variety of roles typical to mafia games, as well as some that take advantage of the unique mechanics of the game.

Each 'spell' is associated with a particular sphere of magic, and can only be used by a practitioner of that type. A god grants its followers access to two different spheres. Since the vast majority of abilities are publicly revealed when they go off, this provides players with a means of identifying priests of allying and opposed deities, and forces them to think tactically about which abilities they use, and when.

and yet it moves...The game is not static. Each day, there is a possibility of momentous events occurring. This could be anything from a sudden inspection of the ship by its guards, to the occurrence of miracles, to a new deity being proclaimed ruler in place of the old. Players will be forced to adapt to changing circumstances and decide in whom to place their trust as the game unfolds.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #2496 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:26 am

Post by Andrius »

@ Max: Family Mafia looks really intreresting. I'd definitely play it.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #2497 (ISO) » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:53 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

Alright, this may be a lot, but after Thrillville ends, and possibly Super Smash Bros. OR Thrillivlle: OTR, I wanna make a Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Insider Story Mafia.

If anyone wants to help with makig it when it comes along, there are 2 things you must know:

1. KNOWLEDGE OF THE GAME IS A MUST! This way, setup design is maximised per charachter

2. YOU MUST BE ABLE TO MOD A LARGE THEME, in case this turns out to be a Large Theme. Right know, I want it to be a mini, but looking at the charachter list, that's not likely.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #2498 (ISO) » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:54 pm

Post by Andrius »

Ok, a quick question.

Let's say there's this game with 24 players. Can the 24 players be split into two 12-man groups and run sub-games within the game? (both sub-games influence the larger game.) Is that like, legal?

Is that clear enough?
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2499 (ISO) » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:09 am

Post by Max »

Yes. I believe Farside22 did one. 24 Players. 12 In each game with a theme of some sport.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”