Newbie 999 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:23 am

Post by chesskid3 »

You give me too much credit, this was merely my sloppy entry into online mafia.

Hypothetical: Were I for example doctor, and get hammered on day 1/2, I doubt I would claim doctor. Depending on the circumstances, I'd claim vanilla and try to beat the rap, because with these rules, a claimed doctor is worthless. There's a situation I would lie in. Of course now it's worthless because I just said it, but still.
Also, note that all I said was [quote]4) No - Lying does not necessarily imply scumminess.[\quote]

And Finally - obviously no actual claims for a good while, that's why I said implicit.
Papa Zito - "Your signature has been blanked...we remove signatures at a users request if said signature references them, or if it quotes from a thread in the Speakeasy, which is not allowed without permission of the poster"
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:27 am

Post by Nobody Special »

If you were about to be hammered, and you were the Doc, why would you lie and claim VT? I'm not following. If you truthfully claimed Doc, it would give us a chance to switch to a lynch that may be more productive. (Notwithstanding the discussion of why, as Doc, you were playing so scummily that you almost got lynched.)
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:31 am

Post by chesskid3 »

because as soon as you claim doc, you die and town loses doc for sure, while if you beat the hammer, town doesn't lose doc...Doc/Inspector team is powerful enough that it can make up the difference. Again, I said depending on the situation, if I was going to be lynched prettymuch guaranteed without a great claim, I would, but if it looked like I might be able to escape, I wouldn't.
Papa Zito - "Your signature has been blanked...we remove signatures at a users request if said signature references them, or if it quotes from a thread in the Speakeasy, which is not allowed without permission of the poster"
Pandabeer
Pandabeer
Townie
Pandabeer
Townie
Townie

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:43 am

Post by Pandabeer »

Hello guys, i'm in a bit of a hurry, so i'll just /confirm. My introductionpost comes later.
zipperflesh
zipperflesh
Goon
zipperflesh
Goon
Goon

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:58 am

Post by zipperflesh »

While I support LaL, there are some "EXTREME" circumstances where it'd be somewhat acceptable. Although, in most cases a townie lie will almost assuredly ruin a game in mafia's favor. It all comes down to context, as do most things in mafia. In general, lying is scummy, but if the context of the lie makes the lie acceptable, then LaL probably shouldn't be applied. Again, those are rare circumstances and our unlikely to pop up in a beginner. LaL should be applied as a policy lynch in most cases, because otherwise you encourage your meta to lie by letting them get away with it
(this is currently a problem in my normal meta, Paranoia Paradise)
. So while one could say that town does on occasion lie, it's better to just lynch all liars and sort it out afterwards.

I'm not fond of Boberz giving chess the third degree. He's not only new here, but he's new to online mafia. Town lying may be an acceptable play in his RL meta, thus he can only answer the question from his own personal bias. I don't see how him no supporting LaL makes him likely to lie, as he'll soon learn that lying is a dangerous game when you're playing online. If anything, I'd only be suspicious of him if someone were caught in a lie and he pushed LaL, since that would be a contradiction of his original statement.

I find Boberz assumption that chess is scum based on his personal view of LaL to be both an overreaction and misrepresentation which amounts to nothing more than early mudslinging.
Retired GM of Px2 - It's like a book club, but with bullets.

“If Passion drives, let Reason hold the Reins.” - Ben Franklin
boberz
boberz
Mafia Scum
boberz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:09 am

Post by boberz »

Zipper, if you consider this my third degree you need to go look at my meta. THis is me being nice but critical.

Tbh chesskid is victim of the fact nobody else is really posting much. But on a serious note he would not learn not to lie unless people like me (or you) tell him not to lie.

Chess lying as a doc would be so inadvisable it is mad. particularly close to a hammer. But I dont want to put you off mafia. So all smiles :)

@Zipper, when do you suggest I start pressurising players? You are aware the game has started and there was a player planning to potentially lie to us.
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:13 am

Post by Nobody Special »

Technically, we're still in confirmation stage. The day won't start until the Mod says so.

@Mod: How many confirmations do you require before we start?
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
boberz
boberz
Mafia Scum
boberz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:15 am

Post by boberz »

Good point. But we should still be playing the game, we are gonna need all the time we get.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:50 pm

Post by Kison »

Nobody Special wrote:Technically, we're still in confirmation stage. The day won't start until the Mod says so.

@Mod: How many confirmations do you require before we start?
One or two more and we'll go ahead and start. If in 24 hours everybody still hasn't checked in, I'll go ahead and pull replacements off the top of the queue.

Sorry for the wait, folks. This game took a while to go from filling up to being given the go ahead to begin. I suspect that is why it is taking so long. Feel free to chit chat; we'll be taking off shortly.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:45 pm

Post by Kison »

RedCoyote replaces Nobody Special, who had an emergency come up.
boberz
boberz
Mafia Scum
boberz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:55 pm

Post by boberz »

Parknourie, what do you think of what has happened in the game so far.

Red Coyote, do you still wish to go ahead with RQS no NS has gone?
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:40 am

Post by RedCoyote »

Hello all.

It looks like NobodySpecial had a bit of an emergency with regards to his Internet/computer availabilty. Rather than attempt to play the game halfheartedly, he apparently told the Mod that he should respectfully step down from the game. In any case, I'm filling in for him in the same type of role (an IC).

Everything NobodySpecial said about ICs are true, but I don't subscribe to the same style of "ICing" as he does. I won't be putting on any hats or anything like that, but please do feel free to ask me or the SEs (Semi-Experienced) anything about the game, website, or any specific playstyle. I try my best to lead by example, so I will just be playing the game as normal unless someone has a specific question.

Right now we're in the confirmation stage, so I'm just going to /confirm and leave it at that.

The Mod may or may not count the votes that take place during this time, but generally anything done before the Mod officially opens the game for play is considered pre-game banter.
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:43 am

Post by RedCoyote »

boberz 35 wrote:Red Coyote, do you still wish to go ahead with RQS no NS has gone?
Whoops, I missed this. No, I don't particularly care to. I encourage anyone else to do so if they think it will foster discussion, which is what NobodySpecial was probably trying to do.
boberz
boberz
Mafia Scum
boberz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:50 am

Post by boberz »

I would like people to complete the questionnairre then, because I would not want those who took longer to confirm get away without doing it. It was primarily for discussion I expect, but it might be usefull later in the game. RQS caught me in my only game as scum (a newbie game).

So for those who have not answered:

1) Are you having fun yet?

2) Chocolate or vanilla?

3) How many Mafia games have you played (here or elsewhere)?

4) Lynch all Liars?

5) Math or Sports?

6) Lynch all Lurkers?

7) What do you think of the RVS?
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:40 am

Post by chesskid3 »

How? Was one of the questions "Are you scum?" and you refuse to lie? :P
zipperflesh
zipperflesh
Goon
zipperflesh
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:57 am

Post by zipperflesh »

boberz wrote:Zipper, if you consider this my third degree you need to go look at my meta. THis is me being nice but critical.

Tbh chesskid is victim of the fact nobody else is really posting much. But on a serious note he would not learn not to lie unless people like me (or you) tell him not to lie.

Chess lying as a doc would be so inadvisable it is mad. particularly close to a hammer. But I dont want to put you off mafia. So all smiles :)

@Zipper, when do you suggest I start pressurising players? You are aware the game has started and there was a player planning to potentially lie to us.
Telling him not to lie and explaining why are better tools at teaching him not to do it than are casting suspicion upon him and the fear of getting lynched.

I understand your trying to start discussion, but it won't go anywhere without a good counter-point. ;)

I'd say something about Day having not started yet, but you've been made aware of that.

Finally, Chesskid, do I know you? The Avatar is throwing me off...

chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:13 am

Post by chesskid3 »

It was my profile pic for pokemon profile pic month on fb...but my name is Andrew and I'm from NY, if that helps.
zipperflesh
zipperflesh
Goon
zipperflesh
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:51 am

Post by zipperflesh »

chesskid3 wrote:It was my profile pic for pokemon profile pic month on fb...but my name is Andrew and I'm from NY, if that helps.
Nope, there's a guy I play with at Px2 who has the same avatar. Thanks though. :)

Pandabeer
Pandabeer
Townie
Pandabeer
Townie
Townie

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:42 am

Post by Pandabeer »

Nobody Special wrote: 1) Are you having fun yet?
Yes, i am absolutely. This is my first game on MafiaScum, but i have the feeling its going to be a nice game!
Nobody Special wrote: 2) Chocolate or vanilla?
Vanilla Townie
Nobody Special wrote: 3) How many Mafia games have you played (here or elsewhere)?
As said before, this is my first Mafia game here. I've never played online before, but i got quite some real life experience.
Nobody Special wrote: 4) Lynch all Liars?
No, lying is a part of the game, and it can help both town and scum side.
Nobody Special wrote: 5) Math or Sports?
Sports.
Nobody Special wrote: 6) Lynch all Lurkers?
Only if we've got no other lead to lynch someone else.
Nobody Special wrote: 7) What do
you
think of the RVS?
I think RVS is a way to quickly get some activity in the game, and it forces lurkers to post more often.
boberz
boberz
Mafia Scum
boberz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:11 am

Post by boberz »

unvote vote panda bear

Clearly setting up an excuse to lie, lurk and vote randomly. All things that will help mafia in the end.

Serious point: there seriously is no reason to lie (if you are town) please dont do it. It will end up in trouble and potentially make us lose. If you need to convince somebody just use argument and logic rather than lying about something.
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:25 am

Post by chesskid3 »

VOTE: Boberz
Rhymes with Roberz, 'nuff said.
Pandabeer
Pandabeer
Townie
Pandabeer
Townie
Townie

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:32 am

Post by Pandabeer »

I completely second your point that lying should not be done if you are town. Unfortunately not every one thinks the same about that, and i respect that.

I vote to lynch the person i have the most scum tell on. Lying adds that a lot, but does not have to make someone the most scummy, and therefore most likely person to lynch.
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:45 am

Post by chesskid3 »

I'll be V/LA until Sunday - visiting my grandmother. Might be able to get on and read chatter, but doubt I'll be able to post anything substantial.
Because of that,
Unvote
HumphreyBogart
HumphreyBogart
Townie
HumphreyBogart
Townie
Townie

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:48 am

Post by HumphreyBogart »

Hello

Confirming.
HumphreyBogart
HumphreyBogart
Townie
HumphreyBogart
Townie
Townie

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:42 pm

Post by HumphreyBogart »

This is my first game, but I can already tell I'm better than all of you.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”