Newbie 1007 - When in Rome, Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Newbie 1007 - When in Rome, Game Over!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:10 am

Post by Haylen »

Newbie 1007 - When In Rome
Moderator: Haylen
Backup Moderator: Nobody.

You decide you need a vacation after all of your hard work, doesn't take long for you to find a very cheap deal on a good italian tour. However, things arent as perfect as you thought they were. After the first night, you find a dead body in the suitcase compartment of the coach. Then you realise the reason this holiday was so cheap was because you had entered a mafia hotspot! Will you make it home alive? Or will you perish?

Alive

doreah
Substrike22 (Rep. Flomo Sleek)
mothrax (SE)
Thymin (Rep. Splashlerz)
Pizzaplate (SE)

Spoiler: Suffering from a Bad case of dead
Beefster. Cop. Lynched Day One.

Fenhl. Vanilla. Killed Night One.

Nikitakit. Vanilla. Lynched Day Two.

Yenros. Vanilla. Killed Night Two.
Last edited by Haylen on Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Seriously. Read your role PM before playing.
I am sorry if you have to prod me, I have absolutely no concept of time.

My prefered pronoun set is "cie/cir/cirs[elf]" but they is more than acceptable.
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:10 am

Post by Haylen »

Haylen's Rules (Cross referenced with Incognito and Vi's rules to makes sure she got everything.)

During the Day...

The game is a Day Start.
You must bold your votes as such
Vote: Battle Mage
, please put the unvote where I can see it though, at the bottom of the post preferably. Unvoting makes me happy, but isn't completely necessary.
Each Day will have a deadline of 3 weeks, not reaching a majority of votes during that time will result in a no lynch. I may extend the deadline in special circumstances. I may also reduce the deadline by one day each time if activity does not pick up. Don't lurk. Lurking makes me sad :cry:
Mafia may not speak to each other during the day, lest you be smited.
You may not quote your role PM's or any other communication outside thread, with the mod. Lest you be smited.
I don't like cheaters.
(a)
Anybody who is found to be using invisible text, spoiler tags, encryption or anything as such will be smited unless they have an extremely good reason. Not knowing is not a good reason.
(b)
If you have the power to edit yours or anyone elses posts. Dont. Lest you be smited.
7a.
If you do not post within 72 hrs, you will receive a prod. Failure to response to the prod within 72 hrs will result in an automatic replacement. Three prods with result in an automatic replacement aswell.
b.
All mod communication should be opened as they are likely to contain important information about the game. This is to prevent mistakes with prods ect.
c.
If the third real life day after a prod is sent occurs during the night, then players are required to reply to their prod via PM. This is so that if a replacement is needed one can be found ASAP.
If you don't post for a whole game day, you'll be forcibly replaced.

During Twilight

Votes and unvotes will not be counted after a lynch.
The person lynched may still talk during Twilight.
4. Mafia still can't talk during this time.

During the Night Phase

The Night Phase will last 72 hrs. I like this number. Any actions that have not been received by then will be forgone. (Night may end early if all actions are received)
If your role permits it, you may talk to the players I have given you permission to talk to during the night.
Mafia, whoever sends in the kill, don't try and kill your partners, I will not be messed with.
Don't try and impersonate the mafia by sending me fake action PM's, I will not appreciate it, and you will be smited.

General Rules

I will not accept insulting behaviour in my games, anybody doing so will receive a nice, well worded warning from me in thread. Further breaking of the rule will receive a harsher punishment.
Blue is my colour. Dont use any kind of blue in your posts, I will count it as impersonating the mod and you will be smited. Sometimes I like to edit your posts, if I do I'll use my colour.
Never talk to anybody outside the game except if your role permits it, and I have told you you can talk now.
Don't piss off the mod. You will be smited.
If you think you have found a loophole with my rules, you haven't. I will recognise a loophole breakage and punish you accordingly.
Smitings (AKA) 'Modkills', means I kill you immediately (for breaking the rules) and change your role to Neutral Survivor, meaning you auto-lose. Smitings (AKA) 'Modkills' automatically end the day. Period.
Play to win, just like everyone else. Don't get disheartened if you're lynched or attacked, basically don't take anything personally. If you feel somebodies behaviour has been inappropriate PM me about it and I will deal with it in some form or another.
Thy mod is thy godess...however, I may make a mistake, if I do; PM me about it and I'll deal with it in some form or another.
If you need help PM me...or AIM me, I'm always online (except when I'm sleeping, or in a lecture.)
The mod is afraid of ghosts, don't post when you're dead, you will scare her. Leave it to end game discussion...
Treat this game as a commitment, and be courteous to your fellow players. It will make everybody, including your mod happy. Smile
It is my prerogative to change the rules if I deem it necessary, you shall receive a notification in thread and a PM aswell to notify you of these changes.
I like receiving PM's, if anybody fancies PMing me for a chat or rant go for it. I can't talk about game specifics though, obv obv.

IC'sIC's are Inexperienced Challenged players, they are here to help you learn to play the game correctly. If you have any game or theory related questions, they will be happy to help you. If, however, you need help understanding your role or something role specific, you should PM me.

They must follow the roles set out in the Being a Good IC wiki page.

You may also find useful information on theory ect on the MafiaScum Wiki.

Mafia is a game of honor. Cheating is breaking the honor code you committed to when you joined this site.

And lastly...have fun! :D

My prefered pronoun set is "cie/cir/cirs[elf]" but they is more than acceptable.
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:11 am

Post by Haylen »

The game will use
one
of these 4 setups, I can't tell you which it is though :p but I did randomize it using random.org. Please note, it is rare that you will come across one of these setups in a non Road to Rome game, so please prepare yourself for changes in rules, roles and setups when you sign up to other games.

Possible Setups

1 Mafia Goon
1 Mafia Roleblocker
1 Cop
1 Doc
5 Townies

OR

2 Mafia Goons
1 Cop
6 Townies

OR

2 Mafia Goons
1 Doc
6 Townies

OR

1 Mafia Goon
1 Mafia Roleblocker
7 Townies

Possible Role PMs

Mafia Aligned

Mafia GoonYou are a
Mafia Goon
, one of the 'baddies' of the city. You are one of the people who have been committing murder in the village. Along with your partner [playername] who is a Mafia Goon/Mafia Roleblocker, you must hide amongst the townies by day and kill them off at night.

During the night, you can talk with your partner in [this] quicktopic, you can then send me a message as to who you wish to night kill as a team.

You win when the mafia are the majority of players in the game or nothing can prevent the same.

To confirm, please state your role back to me via PM.

Game thread is [here]

Mafia Role BlockerYou are a
Mafia Roleblocker
, one of the 'baddies' of the city. You are one of the people who have been committing murder in the village. Along with your partner [playername] who is a Mafia Goon, you must hide amongst the townies by day and kill them off at night.

During the night, you can talk with your partner in [this] quicktopic, you can then send me a message as to who you wish to night kill as a team. You also have the ability to roleblock one player per night - this means if they have any night actions, they will not be inaffective.

Note: If the goon dies, the Role Blocker can send in both the role block and the mafia kill. But the goon cannot send in a role block if the role blocker dies.

Game thread is [here]

Town Aligned

CopYou are a
Cop
, on the side of the town. During the day, you may vote to decide who you think is mafia. When it is night, you may send me the name of one player you wish to investigate via Private Message. You will get one of the following results:

Innocent - This means they are town.
Guilty - This means they are mafia.
Inspection Unsuccessful - Meaning you have been roleblocked.

You win with the town, when all threats to the town have been eliminated.

Note: The only type of cop used in these setups are Sane Night Cops, they're the most common types of cop

Game thread is [here]

DocYou are a
Doc
, on the side of the town. During the day, you may vote to decide who you think is mafia. When it is night, you may send me the name of a player you wish to protect at night. This means that that player will be protected from mafia night kills, unless you have been roleblocked.

Note: Only Sane Doc's are used in these setups.

Game thread is [here]

Vanilla TownieYou are a
Vanilla Townie
, the only thing you have in the game is your vote and mind.

Game thread is [here]

Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:36 am

Post by Haylen »

Replaced DavidParker and rblinker123 with Splashlerz and FEMM the Attorney as they havent confirmed. Just waiting for the other two now :P

Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:02 am

Post by Haylen »

It's now Day One, mafia should stop talking now. Deadline is Sunday 3rd October at 9pm, GMT+1 timezone. With 9 alive, it's 5 to lynch. Now go kill some people! ^_^

doreah
doreah
Townie
doreah
Townie
Townie

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:47 am

Post by doreah »

Vote: Pizzaplate

For being made of delicious pizza.
Rawr!
Pizzaplate
Pizzaplate
Goon
Pizzaplate
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:56 am

Post by Pizzaplate »

vote: nikitakit
for having the hardest name to say quickly without stumbling. Definitely a scumtell, people ;]
No matter how old you get, you cannot tire of pizza.
FEMM the Attorney
FEMM the Attorney
Goon
FEMM the Attorney
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:15 am

Post by FEMM the Attorney »

Vote: Splashlerz
for using a z instead of an s.
Hello everyone.
"Lolpats. It's like lolcats. But pattier." - My friend.
mothrax
mothrax
Mafia Scum
mothrax
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:33 am

Post by mothrax »

Hi guys!
Vote doreah
it reminds me of dariah, and that show got cancelled.
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:03 am

Post by Beefster »

VOTE: doreah because random.org said so.

Hello my newbie friends. I am your friendly neighborhood IC. I'm here to answer your questions and teach. But I'm also here to play to win. This is my highest priority (and currently only) game and I will do my best to pop in, play, and answer questions in the small amount of time I have until the 26th.

I'm pretty excited this time around as it is my first time ICing and I recently turned 18. :)

I'll kick things off with some Dos and Donts:
  • Do participate. Even if you're just popping in with a simple point of suspicion. We want discussion. The mafia doesn't.
  • Use your vote. Votes can be powerful tools for getting the mafia to crack.
  • Come up with your own points. It brings forth more points to discuss, which gives the mafia more chances to make mistakes.
  • Do post content. Talking about stuff irrelevant to the game can be acceptable at times, but most of the time, it gets in the way and gives the mafia a hiding place.
  • It's OKAY to be skeptical. People lie in mafia. Just don't overdo it.
  • Don't give up. You can always defend yourself. If you completely give up, it takes the fun out of the game. I made this mistake in my first game- so learn from example.
  • Don't feel bad if you lose. It's going to happen about half the time and it isn't all your fault.
  • Don't be afraid to seek alternate perspectives. Nothing good is obtained from focusing all your energy on one person. That is called "tunneling."
  • Avoid circular logic. Nothing good can be obtained by speculating about what the mafia is thinking the town is thinking the mafia is thinking ad infinitum... This is called Wine In Front Of Me, or WIFOM for short.
  • Don't panic if there are lots of votes on you. It happens. People have every right to suspect you.
  • Don't list who you think is town. It gives the mafia a shopping list for the following night. You can list who you think is scum as much as you want, however.
  • Don't be afraid to mess up. It happens.
  • You can still win if you die (unless you're modkilled). Win conditions are tied to your faction, not you.
On hiatus indefinitely. This was a nice distraction when I was working through my faith transition out of Mormonism, but I need to move on to bigger and better things now.
Get to know a meat boy
Splashlerz
Splashlerz
Townie
Splashlerz
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:17 am

Post by Splashlerz »

vote: doreah
because the random generator I use said so too. o_o
xD
Nice reason there Femm.
I meant to use an s but I managed to accidentally use z instead. D:<
Yenros
Yenros
Townie
Yenros
Townie
Townie

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:48 am

Post by Yenros »

vote: Beefster
because I was going to use random.org, but think it has something against doreah since he now has 3 of 5 votes.
Show
I am that which grips the heart in fright,
hearkens the night and silences the light.
A nightmare for some.
For others, as a saviour I come.
My hands, cold and bleak,
it's the warm hearts they seek
Pizzaplate
Pizzaplate
Goon
Pizzaplate
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:50 am

Post by Pizzaplate »

unvote

vote: Yenros
for not voting splashy instead.
Yenros
Yenros
Townie
Yenros
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:14 am

Post by Yenros »

Well, Splash had a vote already
Show
A nightmare for some.
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:32 pm

Post by Beefster »

Yenros wrote:
because I was going to use random.org, but think it has something against doreah since he now has 3 of 5 votes.
Eh. It happens. As long as he isn't at L-1. Right now, it isn't terribly threatening. We'll find out more information once we see how he reacts.

And why wouldn't you vote on splashy if that's the case? He was the one who put on the third vote... Just something to think about.
On hiatus indefinitely. This was a nice distraction when I was working through my faith transition out of Mormonism, but I need to move on to bigger and better things now.
Get to know a meat boy
doreah
doreah
Townie
doreah
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:46 pm

Post by doreah »

I figured these were all "random" votes, so I don't mind if random.org thinks I'm scummy. Then again, perhaps thinking pizza is delicious is a scum tell, but it seems more like a non-zombie tell.
Rawr!
Pizzaplate
Pizzaplate
Goon
Pizzaplate
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:33 pm

Post by Pizzaplate »

Right, this wasn't mentioned.
Right now we're in the RVS (random voting stage) where we vote people without the intention to actually lynch them, to promote discussion.

Later on, there will probably be a RQS (random question stage) when someone (usually the IC to my knowledge) asks random questions (redundant ^^)

I've also noticed this game has a lot of SE's, isn't it supposed to be 2?
Typically, yes, there are only meant to be 2 SE's in a game. But the newbie queue was over run with SE's and needed to keep the queue running smoothly ^_^ ~ Hayl
Last edited by Haylen on Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:39 pm

Post by Beefster »

I would ask some RQs, but I've found that most of the questions that one would ask are either loaded or worthless.

If it comes down to needing some RQs, I'll step in. Otherwise, basic discussion should suffice as long as we're all civil.
Get to know a meat boy
Yenros
Yenros
Townie
Yenros
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:11 pm

Post by Yenros »

Beefster wrote:
Yenros wrote:
Eh. It happens. As long as he isn't at L-1. Right now, it isn't terribly threatening. We'll find out more information once we see how he reacts.

And why wouldn't you vote on splashy if that's the case? He was the one who put on the third vote... Just something to think about.
Well, I chose beefster over splashy cause splashy already had a vote.
Show
A nightmare for some.
nikitakit
nikitakit
Townie
nikitakit
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:46 pm

Post by nikitakit »

Following the trend, random.org says
Vote: Pizzaplate
. I'm surprised that the first post was a vote. Is that common on this site?

While writing this, I realized that you were the one who voted for me early on. What strange luck... By the way, you can call me "nikita" - it's my name.
Pizzaplate
Pizzaplate
Goon
Pizzaplate
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Post by Pizzaplate »

Yeah in every game I've played so far, I haven't seen any material from the RQS ever being used to accuse someone.
@nikita, 1. yup generally people start off by voting randomly
2. It would help if you got an avatar to distinguish your posts more easily
3. I just noticed, your username is consonant vowel consonant vowel consonant vowel (repeat). Just something I thought was interesting.

However, even if random.org tells you all to lynch the same person 5x in a row, I would strongly advise against lynching someone during the RVS =] even L-1 (One vote left to lynch them) is a bad idea. We want content on day 1 to use against scum.
mothrax
mothrax
Mafia Scum
mothrax
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:19 pm

Post by mothrax »

Nikita: that was either a well played omgus(oh my god you suck) vote or dumb luck.
@pizza: I don't see a problem with l-1 in rvs. Gives us wagon analysis as well as the chance to catch dumb scum.
FEMM the Attorney
FEMM the Attorney
Goon
FEMM the Attorney
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:50 am

Post by FEMM the Attorney »

I find it interesting that over half of the RVS is Doreah. :P I wonder if random.org REALLY picked that, or if there was some sneaky band-waggoning going on.
Well, since no one else has yet, I'll ask a couple questions...
1: Do you think it is easier playing as town or as scum?
2: What do you think of Lynching all Lurkers?
3: What is your stand on Lynching all Liars?
"Lolpats. It's like lolcats. But pattier." - My friend.
doreah
doreah
Townie
doreah
Townie
Townie

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:20 am

Post by doreah »

1. Don't know yet. I would assume that scum is harder, because town just needs to be truthful. Then again, hunting requires logic and deduction... hmm.
2. I'm confused on what a Lurker vs Active Lurker vs Active person is (after reading a few Newbie games). In most forums, "lurking" is good behaviour. Here, I would assume if you have nothing to add, even if you're just reading the thread, you're considered Lurking?
3. I don't have a policy on this yet, but I think lying would be anti-town... unless the person is trying to mislead scum... but that gets into WIFOM right? So I'm against lying and it would probably factor into whether I vote for someone or not.

Completely off topic (I think I am allowed a tiny bit of that?): Several anime avatars here :) Lynch all non-anime avatars!
Rawr!
Yenros
Yenros
Townie
Yenros
Townie
Townie

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:51 am

Post by Yenros »

1) I think scum would be harder because you have to convince people to lynch innocents.
2) I'm against it, if they lurk let the mod take care of it, on the other hand, if it's careful lurking to avoid being replaced and still say as little as possible it may be scum trying to fly under the radar.
3) It would really depend on the lie, in some cases it may be to mislead scum, like a doc saying they'll protect one person, and protecting another to try and keep two people safe (the one they claimed as scum avoid it, and the one actually protected).
Show
A nightmare for some.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”