Best Role Ideas?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #650 (ISO) » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:04 am

Post by Vi »

SaintKerrigan wrote:
andrew94 wrote:
3rd party evil genius

you know who everyone is, you know what their abilities are.
you win when you are in the final 3
I have strongly considered using a role very similar to this in one of my distant-future games...

*stops self before giving away all the secrets*
Beyond_Birthday used something very similar to this role in one of his themes. Immense swinginess ensued.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
RichardGHP
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
Parama's Alt

Post Post #651 (ISO) » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:49 am

Post by RichardGHP »

Vi wrote:
RichardGHP wrote:Cops are fine, as long as they're unconfirmed sanity and not in the presence of a protective role. Crazy and dumb variations are giving the role a bad name.
Aren't unconfirmed-sanity Cops under the umbrella of "crazy and dumb variations"?
Unless I'm missing something, no? To my knowledge, standard cop is sane but not told so.
andrew94
andrew94
Mafia Scum
andrew94
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #652 (ISO) » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:48 am

Post by andrew94 »

the evil genius basically has to maintain equilbrim between mafia and town.

therefore, he can like say 'i know who the mafia is but if u lynch me, ur all screwed' and 'doc so u gotta protect me, i know whos the doc'
i hate walls, i will only skim walls.
Narsis
Narsis
Goon
Narsis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #653 (ISO) » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:09 am

Post by Narsis »

andrew94 wrote:the evil genius basically has to maintain equilbrim between mafia and town.

therefore, he can like say 'i know who the mafia is but if u lynch me, ur all screwed' and 'doc so u gotta protect me, i know whos the doc'
then the mafia know there is a doc and can go doc hunting. furthermore lynching him wont end the game for town, they'll be able to win without him. also from the wincon he could choose to help the mafia win in a LYLO situation.
Record:
Town: 1W/3L

Mafia: 1W/0L

Other: 0W/0L
andrew94
andrew94
Mafia Scum
andrew94
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #654 (ISO) » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:19 am

Post by andrew94 »

but he can wifom both sides

and town+ scum doesnt know his win condition, he has to survive that far
i hate walls, i will only skim walls.
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #655 (ISO) » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:24 am

Post by DavidParker »

as soon as this player claimed, i'd lynch him. You have to lynch him eventually anyways (unless his wincon is independent of the town vs scum wincons). And you know he's only interested in his own survival.
"To die will be an awfully big adventure"
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #656 (ISO) » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:16 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Vi wrote:
SaintKerrigan wrote:
andrew94 wrote:
3rd party evil genius

I have strongly considered using a role very similar to this in one of my distant-future games...

Beyond_Birthday used something very similar to this role in one of his themes. Immense swinginess ensued.
I was counting on that. :twisted:
ALMOST ALWAYS BUSY 9-6 CST WEEKDAYS
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #657 (ISO) » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:34 am

Post by Vi »

SaintKerrigan wrote:
Vi wrote:
SaintKerrigan wrote:
andrew94 wrote:
3rd party evil genius

I was counting on that. :twisted:
Here's the game I was talking about. And okay, I was ALMOST right on B_B. >_>
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Dark Horse
Dark Horse
Goon
Dark Horse
Goon
Goon

Post Post #658 (ISO) » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:04 am

Post by Dark Horse »

Cautious Vig:
Each night, you may select one person to kill. If that person is mafia, he/she is shot. If that person is town, however, they vig will not kill that person and can select someone else.

The Cautious Veg wins when all threats to the town have been eliminated.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #659 (ISO) » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:59 pm

Post by Vi »

Dark Horse wrote:
Cautious Vig:
Each night, you may select one person to kill. If that person is mafia, he/she is shot. If that person is town, however, they vig will not kill that person and can select someone else.

This role could be balanced... if and only if this role is also in the game.
Naive PGO:
Any Town-aligned player who targets you with any action will be reflexively killed.
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #660 (ISO) » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:49 pm

Post by FakeGod »

Dark Horse wrote:
Cautious Vig:

sounds interesting.
My favorite site mod is Zor Tester.
I have Brandi's autograph! I bet you're jealous.

Calling all touhou fans!
Herodotus
Herodotus
Black Ops
Herodotus
Black Ops
Black Ops

Post Post #661 (ISO) » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:05 pm

Post by Herodotus »

Vi wrote:
Dark Horse wrote:
Cautious Vig:

This role could be balanced... if and only if this role is also in the game.
Naive PGO:
Any Town-aligned player who targets you with any action will be reflexively killed.
And the game was 3-player, night-start.

Dark Horse, do you mean that on each night the CV can keep selecting players until they select a scum? That would let them confirm multiple townies and kill scum every night... maybe I'm misreading.
Just because a majority of a group of people decide it's okay doesn't mean it's not murder. - Cobblerfone
Twomz
Twomz
Cliqued On
Twomz
Cliqued On
Cliqued On

Post Post #662 (ISO) » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:37 pm

Post by Twomz »

Dark Horse wrote:
Cautious Vig:

So, vig picks targets til they hit scum?

I'd make it Scared Vig: You have a gun and can try to shoot a player every night. I just hope your target isn't too scary. (Mod note: Scary goons and Scary townies cannot be killed by the scared vig, but instead are told he attempted to target them that night).

That way alignment doesn't affect the vigkill as much and the vig has to be even more careful not to be seen.
"It's not a logical inconsistency. B can't be correct because then C would be, but it doesn't go the other way - there's nothing wrong with C being correct. Aside from Twomz saying otherwise." --Mith
PogoStick
PogoStick
Mafia Scum
PogoStick
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #663 (ISO) » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:54 am

Post by PogoStick »

master of disguise

you choose another player to disguise yoruself as so watcher will see that person and not you.
Show
Call me Rob, Hop, or joystick but I am better known in mafia world as the "Fall guy"

AtE is not a scum tell.

Town: 0-1
Scum: 1-1
Feysal
Feysal
Mafia Scum
Feysal
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #664 (ISO) » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:22 pm

Post by Feysal »

I just finished a game with several cops with varying powers. I got to thinking, how would I handle multiple cops?

Inspector

Receives the investigation results of all cops in the game, but does not know the identities of the cops or which investigations are by the same cop. Can choose any of the investigation reports to review, and this will reveal if the investigated person was a miller or framed by the mafia.

This role would be for a large game, with three cops: 1 sane, 1 insane and 1 naive. The inspector cannot review all their cases, and he cannot determine which investigations were by the same cop, meaning he cannot detect insanities without information from the cops themselves. There should also be a miller and a mafia framer in game, to further mess with the cop reads.
Hrezs
Hrezs
Goon
Hrezs
Goon
Goon

Post Post #665 (ISO) » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:30 pm

Post by Hrezs »

Feysal wrote:I just finished a game with several cops with varying powers. I got to thinking, how would I handle multiple cops?

Inspector

Receives the investigation results of all cops in the game, but does not know the identities of the cops or which investigations are by the same cop. Can choose any of the investigation reports to review, and this will reveal if the investigated person was a miller or framed by the mafia.

This role would be for a large game, with three cops: 1 sane, 1 insane and 1 naive. The inspector cannot review all their cases, and he cannot determine which investigations were by the same cop, meaning he cannot detect insanities without information from the cops themselves. There should also be a miller and a mafia framer in game, to further mess with the cop reads.

I was in 2 games that had roles similar to this
Mafia Infeltrated Deputy
Description: Your loyalties are only to the mafia. You have a second identity only known to you. You are a member of the polic force. Because you assist the cop you are priviledge with information. You get to know the identity of who is investigated by the cop during the night. If the cop (investigation role) is role blocked, or chooses not to investigate, you learn nothing.

Actions: This is passive, you will get the information without a night action. This information will be given to you on the following morning, after the Cop made his investigation. During Night Phase only, you can talk to your fellow mafia to select a kill, and discuss why. Select on person to tell me the night kill. During the day you vote with the town, and only count as one vote.

Win condition: You win when town all die, even if you are dead.
town had a similar role

Evidence Examiner

Description: You are a member of town. You are tired of crimes in your town. You now take matters into your own hands with other like minded town members.

However, you have specialized in examining DNA evidence.

Day actions: You can vote during the day, your vote counts as one. You cannot PM any other player except the mod the entire game.

Night Actions: Passively receive DNA evidence sent to you. You process the DNA and match it with the database. The database is not complete, but it will tell you if the DNA matches an innocent or guilty person.

Your job is limited to examining the evidence, and the database does not match names with the DNA results. Therefore, you will not learn who it is drawn from, just if it is Town or Mafia. Also, because DNA is so specific, you will always be able to identify when duplicate DNA has been processed.

There is one exception to matching names with the DNA sample. Once a player has died, you will examine their DNA and match it up with the database. Thus you will identify the name against the DNA sample.

Win condition: You win when scum die, even if you are dead.

there was a backup evidence examiner(town, did not get results til after I died)
2 evidence collectors(town)
and 1 evidence contaminator(town) - made a result "unknown"

also don't know who was targetted, just guilty/innocent (1 result for each collector)
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #666 (ISO) » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:12 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

FakeGod wrote:
Dark Horse wrote:
Cautious Vig:

sounds interesting.
No, it's broken as all get out. Even if it's once-a-night, you've essentially combined the strength of a Cop with the strength of a Vigilante. There's a word for that...

Herodotus' 3p use is interesting, but too random for my tastes. Also, not Mafia, and get off my lawn.
Retired as of October 2014.
PogoStick
PogoStick
Mafia Scum
PogoStick
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #667 (ISO) » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:26 am

Post by PogoStick »

Yeah cautious vig is not good IMO

I like compulsive vig, forced them to shoot but I always shoot anyway as vig, I don't care if it's bad to shoot night 1, I'll always do it
Show
Call me Rob, Hop, or joystick but I am better known in mafia world as the "Fall guy"

AtE is not a scum tell.

Packbat
Packbat
she, they, ze/zir
Mafia Scum
Packbat
she, they, ze/zir
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she, they, ze/zir

Post Post #668 (ISO) » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:38 am

Post by Packbat »

I got this idea when I was thinking about Masons - the inspiration is theme-specific, of course, but that could be changed (and I'd be surprised if it hasn't been tried):

Baker Street Irregulars
: a Mason group with investigative powers. Each night they vote for a target in their quicktopic, and if there is a majority at dawn, the moderator posts the investigation result.

It seems to me like it would be (a) a very strong town role and (b) interact weirdly with roleblockers. Suggestions?
advice from a trans otherkin queer plural system: you don't have to accept what normal says it's possible for you to be.
Herodotus
Herodotus
Black Ops
Herodotus
Black Ops
Black Ops

Post Post #669 (ISO) » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:07 pm

Post by Herodotus »

The group doesn't necessarily need to be mutually confirmed as town. Giving the Irregulars 2 town and 1 scum members would make it... complicated.
In fact, I think Amished was once a Serial Killer member of a group of cops in a marathon game.
Just because a majority of a group of people decide it's okay doesn't mean it's not murder. - Cobblerfone
Xdaamno
Xdaamno
I love you
Xdaamno
I love you
I love you

Post Post #670 (ISO) » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:30 pm

Post by Xdaamno »

Some roles that have subtle effects. As always, using unusual roles, claiming as them could unexpectedly semi-confirm you as it is unlikely scum would make up such a role.

Doppelganger:
If you are to be killed at night, the mod will ask you if you wish to, instead, let a random vanilla townie die instead. You win with the town.
(Creates WIFOM situations if you claim before your ability is activated.)

Unlucky Townie:
Whenever a town player reaches the number of votes required to lynch, you are lynched instead. You win with the town.
(Powerful in that the town player would then be confirmed, and the scum would have the task of keeping him dead by the next morning. Also reduces the chance of vital town power roles being lynched.)

Compulsive Town Leader:
Each night, target one player. If that player is lynched the following day, you gain an extra ability the night afterwards: You can protect up to two (or three?) people who were voting the targeted, lynched player. You win with the town.
(I like this one. It creates more dynamics during the day, unlike most night-focused roles. The limited range of players they can protect makes the role much less useful when claimed, since the scum can target someone else.)
"This should be an absolute car crash, but let's try it." - CDB
"did you get ces to look disgusted by their offer? i thought that might work" - Patrick
Cracking Idea Mafia
Packbat
Packbat
she, they, ze/zir
Mafia Scum
Packbat
she, they, ze/zir
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she, they, ze/zir

Post Post #671 (ISO) » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:53 am

Post by Packbat »

I
the Compulsive Town Leader! It's also a challenge for the player with the role, because they'll be encouraged to skew their scumhunting to focus on their selected target - which is a scummy thing to do.

As for the two-or-three: what about some specific fraction, rounded up?
advice from a trans otherkin queer plural system: you don't have to accept what normal says it's possible for you to be.
PogoStick
PogoStick
Mafia Scum
PogoStick
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #672 (ISO) » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:10 am

Post by PogoStick »

Packbat wrote:I
the Compulsive Town Leader! It's also a challenge for the player with the role, because they'll be encouraged to skew their scumhunting to focus on their selected target - which is a scummy thing to do.

Sounds interesting
Show

AtE is not a scum tell.

Xdaamno
Xdaamno
I love you
Xdaamno
I love you
I love you

Post Post #673 (ISO) » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:36 am

Post by Xdaamno »

Packbat wrote:I

Great idea! The fraction could be changed to suit the setup. Around 1/5th sounds right to me.
"This should be an absolute car crash, but let's try it." - CDB
"did you get ces to look disgusted by their offer? i thought that might work" - Patrick
Cracking Idea Mafia
ReaperCharlie
ReaperCharlie
Jack of All Trades
ReaperCharlie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #674 (ISO) » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:50 am

Post by ReaperCharlie »

Compulsive Town Leader = Meheheheheheeeee :twisted:
Show
"Take me to Pleasure Town!" "Look, the most Glorious Rainbow Ever!" "Do me on it!" -

Spoiler:
ÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûê
ÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûê
ÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûê
ÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûê
ÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûê
ÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûê
ÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûê
ÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûê
ÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûê
ÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûê

ÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûêÔûê