Newbie 1052 - Endgame

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #300 (ISO) » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:19 pm

Post by Mute »

Stels wrote:
Mute wrote:@Stels:
theplague42 wrote:Workdawg has obviously read a lot of games and articles. I'm sure that he's read about "Lynch All Liars" sometime or another. Your warning (yes, I'm calling it a warning) is unnecessary if Workdawg is as knowledgable as I believe him to be. I'll say again, the "just saying" comment really irks me. Calling it "warning" instead of "advice" also makes me suspicious. The words are pretty much synonymous in this usage, so it seems like you're trying to get away from accusations of being scumbuddies without changing the intent of what you say. Both "warning" and "advice" convey a meaning of telling someone what they shouldn't do. It's completely unnecessary in this case.
Plague's said it. I've got a serious feeling of you and him buddying up. With each of your posts towards Dawg I gather that assumption, hence why I said that.
So what do you want me to do about it? Want me to stop talking to Workdawg? Should I just go and isolate myself in the corner so no one can buddy-up to me anymore? Want me to stop giving advice? Fine! We got an IC and another SE here to do that in my place. Is that really helpful? Figure it out for yourselves.
-sigh-
There's no need to become so irate. I get it, you're frustrated because you're doing your part of an SE.

Also Neuky, Stels' at L-2. votes on him are placed by Plague, Nacho, and Ty, if my math from the latest vote count's right, adjusted for new actions.
:dead:
-Hard to see big picture behind pile of corpses-
Neuky
Neuky
Goon
Neuky
Goon
Goon

Post Post #301 (ISO) » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:21 pm

Post by Neuky »

Actually - I may be wrong there, look like its L-2. I'm going to read Stel's defence before making a decision to vote or not. Its past midnight here - so I'll do that tomorrow.
Played 2 - won as town 0 - lost as town 2 - won as scum 0 - lost as scum 0 - Yep, I'm doing that well...
Neuky
Neuky
Goon
Neuky
Goon
Goon

Post Post #302 (ISO) » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:22 pm

Post by Neuky »

Ninja'd! OK Mute cheers!
Played 2 - won as town 0 - lost as town 2 - won as scum 0 - lost as scum 0 - Yep, I'm doing that well...
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #303 (ISO) » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:01 pm

Post by theplague42 »

Stels wrote:
theplague42 wrote:Workdawg has obviously read a lot of games and articles. I'm sure that he's read about "Lynch All Liars" sometime or another. Your warning (yes, I'm calling it a warning) is unnecessary if Workdawg is as knowledgable as I believe him to be. I'll say again, the "just saying" comment really irks me. Calling it "warning" instead of "advice" also makes me suspicious. The words are pretty much synonymous in this usage, so it seems like you're trying to get away from accusations of being scumbuddies without changing the intent of what you say. Both "warning" and "advice" convey a meaning of telling someone what they shouldn't do. It's completely unnecessary in this case.
Oh god, now my word choice is being insulted. Yes, I am aware that technically warning = advice, but they are used in different situations. Advice is more friendly IMO than warning. Shall I provide an example? OK! Here we go!
You were walking down the street when you see a strange door. On the door it says:
[ADVICE]
Do Not Enter.
Would you still enter this door as opposed to:
[WARNING!]
DO NOT ENTER.
I'm not arguing about which one has more force. Yes, warning has more force, but that's not my point. I'm saying that you switched words to appear that my case was null, without actually changing what you were saying. Changing the "force" of a word doesn't change its meaning. The "advice" or whatever you want to call it is suspicious by itself, but I wouldn't vote on it alone. The clincher for me is the "Just saying" part. With those two words, that goes from "SE advice" to "SE communicating under the guise of advice."

And if you really want to argue about the force of "advice" vs "warning," your insistence that "warning" carries more force is also suspicious. In fact, I would argue that what you said is a "warning" under the guise of "advice." That is, it was a warning to your buddy about what to claim if he goes to L-1 again while appearing to give advice to an innocent newbie.
Stels wrote:
theplague42 wrote:
Stels wrote:@Asano234: 16/23 Posts are all fluff.
No input for 12 pages. Jumps onto the Mute wagon for little reason, except that his reasons for voting was: 1) & 2) [To cause a reaction]. Jumps off the wagon when Mute puts a
FoS
onto Asano. Personally, I don't see the reaction that was made by Mute that made you jump off someone you had no read on whatsoever. Care to elaborate?
For right now, I think its just newbie-jumpiness and inexperience dealing with reactions to votes. If it was an experienced player, then I would be really suspicious.
Even the content that he provides can technically be called fluff... I mean, I'm not insulting anyone, I'm just stating that it bothers me.
I never said that it wasn't fluff. Most of his posts are indeed fluff. I've been guilty of this myself before. I just didn't really feel the need to say "I completely, utterly, and irrevocably agree with Stels." But I'm commenting on his quick vote and unvote, not on his contributions or lack thereof. The "jumpiness" is aimed at his voting, not his posts. If anything, his posts show a
lack
of reaction to what other people have said.
Stels wrote:
Mute wrote:@Stels:
Plague's said it. I've got a serious feeling of you and him buddying up. With each of your posts towards Dawg I gather that assumption, hence why I said that.
So what do you want me to do about it? Want me to stop talking to Workdawg? Should I just go and isolate myself in the corner so no one can buddy-up to me anymore? Want me to stop giving advice? Fine! We got an IC and another SE here to do that in my place. Is that really helpful? Figure it out for yourselves.
Someone's defensive! Usually it takes a lot more than what we've said to make something go off like that.
Stels wrote:
theplague42 wrote:As for veridis, I have no idea what is going on there. I will say that I had a crazy thought about that over the weekend. What if Naben's super-late confirming was gaining time to talk with his buddy?
Do you know how absurd this whole statement is? Think about it. He was late confirming because he was talking to his scum-buddy? Really now? Let me break it down for you:
1) Scum can talk only during the confirmation stage + Night.
2) Naben did not confirm until the middle of page 4.
3) Naben can't talk to his scum-buddy because he hasn't confirmed yet.
4) Since he hasn't confirmed yet, he doesn't know what role he has been given.
5) Even if he did know his role, why would he not confirm when the game started?
6) Related to #5. If it's to dodge suspicion, how come you bring this question up? Meaning there is no point into confirming this late.
7) Scum-chat is maintained by the Mod, the mod would know when the scum are talking to each other, since he opens and closes the scum-chat, meaning that Naben would already be confirmed at the start of Day 1.
Hey, I did say it was a crazy thought. It was something I thought about and decided to post. I don't really have any conviction behind it. To #6, I was thinking of what may have caused Naben's weird confirmation stuff after reading Ty's post, and that popped out as a reason that could be attributed to the game, as opposed to just busyness or loss of interest, which I can't put any conviction behind either.

I'll admit that I didn't remember that he did confirm so late. My theory would make sense if he had confirmed right after confirmation ended. But since he didn't, it's probably just busyness/forgetfulness/lack of interest-ness on his part.

I will say that you seem awfully anxious to put down one of my hair-brained theories. Rather than just point out flaws, you feel the need to break down the entire situation like I'm some kind of an idiot (I'm only an idiot
sometimes
) and explain it word for word. Reason for that?
Part of the problem.
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #304 (ISO) » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:13 pm

Post by Mute »

Plague earlier on I commented on Naben, and how it was a few days after the game started that he had confirmed, and had not posted and was forced to be replaced.

That really does make a good case for that slot to be lynched. Personally I would like to lynch that slot, but as it stands it's semi-vacant since veridis is being replaced. Why'd I like to see that slot lynched? There's been no content added to the game from that slot and the original player had confirmed and not posted at all, even if the confirm was waaaaaaaaaaaaay too late.
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #305 (ISO) » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:16 pm

Post by Mute »

To expand on that, yes, I'd count that as a push for a "Lynch All Lurkers" lynch.
Workdawg
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #306 (ISO) » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:45 pm

Post by Workdawg »

@TP42

I was going to pick apart your argument about Naben's delayed confirmation too. I probably wouldn't have gone crazy on it like Stels did, but I was going to point out the same things he did. I don't have a problem with posting it, cause I'm all for hair-brained ideas, but it was flawed.

@All

Veridis is not being replaced, he's being prodded. Drench posted that in error and has corrected it since. I'm not opposed to lynching a lurker, but since we have a week, we'll have to see what he comes up with. I think asano might be a better "default" target if he doesn't pick up his game as well. As others have mentioned, pretty much all he's contributed so far was the L-1 vote and fluff.
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #307 (ISO) » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:10 pm

Post by Nachomamma8 »

d
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

-- Fate, Vanilla Townie, was brutally stabbed by a throwing sword in endgame.
asano234
asano234
Townie
asano234
Townie
Townie

Post Post #308 (ISO) » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:47 pm

Post by asano234 »

I am really sorry but i have a family crisis and won't be able to continue. I sincerly apologize to all as i did not really get very involved in the game. I request a replacement. I wish you all the best of luck finding the scum in this game.

Take care all.
Keep your friends close.
Keep your enemies closer.
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #309 (ISO) » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:58 pm

Post by Mute »

It's cool Asano; best of luck to you and your family.

Letter of the Day Nacho?
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #310 (ISO) » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:08 am

Post by Drench »

The Ninth Vote Count - GODDAMMIT DRENCH YOU ASStheplague42
Neuky
Mute
Workdawg
asano234
veridis
Stels - 3 - Nachomamma8, Ty, theplague42
Ty - 1 - veridis
Nachomamma8

No Lynch

Not Voting - 5 - asano234, Stels, Neuky, Workdawg, Mute

With nine alive, it's five to lynch!

Day One's deadline expires on the 8th of February at 11:07am AEDST (GMT+11).

asano will be replaced. Ty's replacement should be forthcoming within the next day or two.

Also, a reminder that deadline is in a week, give or take 12 hours. Due to the replacements happening, there may be an extension, but that all depends on how it unfolds.
join your union
Workdawg
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #311 (ISO) » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:05 am

Post by Workdawg »

A couple people have brought up the common thought that there might be a scum-team between Stels and me. I want to express some thoughts about that.

Do I feel like he's been giving ME advice? Not really.

If you ISO the advice he's given, I think this becomes a bit more clear. (I skimmed his ISO, but hopefully I didn't miss anything)

ISO #04 ... @Workdawg: Don't give up. Don't be concerned with how you look.
ISO #06 ... @Workdawg: Explains the concept of bussing (since the wiki led me a bit astray) (also, not really "advice")
ISO #07 ... @TP42: Don't try to seek out the PRs
ISO #13 ... @asano: Don't post fluff, if you've got nothing to add, then don't post.
ISO #16 ... @Workdawg: You can't claim a PR anymore. (not really advice)

He only seems to really comment on things that are generally pretty good scumtells. Being concerned with looking town, seeking out the PRs, posting fluff.

Really, I don't think ISO 6 is advice at all since he was just clarifiying something that I misunderstood.

ISO 16 is more of a warning than advice I would say. Is it scummy to warning another player of a potential mistake, maybe. Do I think it's a stone-cold scumtell, no... and certainly not as an SE in a newbie game where that player has made a substantial number of newbie moves. If this was a game of veteran player, I would put much more weight on it, but Stels has a track record of providing advice to other people as well.

He certainly seems to be getting annoyed/upset about the arguments being made against him, but I know how that goes…

I guess that’s pretty much how I feel about that one post.

================
@Mute
Mute in #267 wrote: As for you dawg, I've got some things to reconsider. Starting going back over this game in my head while I was out driving and an idea occured to me.
I have to ask, what was the idea that caused you to get off my wagon like someone lit it on fire? There was certainly quite a bit of posting going on between your previous post and the one above, but you were 100% convinced that I was scum before, and you haven’t yet said what it was that changed your mind.

Ty’s Exit Post

Seems very town to me, but since he’s leaving, I don’t really think that means anything at all. It really depends on how he looks at his leaving. I think the fact that he took the time to post some final thoughts implies that he cares about the game. If this is the case, then he probably hopes whoever takes his place is successful.

I think this is the right move whether he is town or scum. If he’s town, then it is exactly what it looks like. If he’s scum, he could just be posting that to throw us off his replacement’s trail.

I don’t really think we can draw any conclusions from what he’s specifically what he’s posted. It might be worthwhile to analyze the post for inconsistencies or missing information rather than take it at it’s face value. I’ll try and do that next time I get the chance.
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #312 (ISO) » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:16 am

Post by theplague42 »

@Stels and Workdawg
Workdawg's last post impressed me, I will say. Although he does receive more advice than others, he definitely shows other places where Stels has offered advice, including me.

Now that I've sorted out my thoughts a little, the real issue I have with the "advice" is not that it's advice. It's that Stels warned you that you couldn't claim a PR. Now if you were town, then you wouldn't have to lie. Only scum lie. All my other accusations, meaning my suspicion on word usage and such, can be truthfully explained to be wrong. But the core of it is that only scum would need to be warned not to lie. Seeing how Workdawg has shown immense familiarity with the wiki, I can't believe that he wouldn't have heard of "Lynch All Liars." So that can't be used as an excuse to tell him that he couldn't lie.

@Mute
Mute wrote:Plague earlier on I commented on Naben, and how it was a few days after the game started that he had confirmed, and had not posted and was forced to be replaced.

That really does make a good case for that slot to be lynched. Personally I would like to lynch that slot, but as it stands it's semi-vacant since veridis is being replaced. Why'd I like to see that slot lynched? There's been no content added to the game from that slot and the original player had confirmed and not posted at all, even if the confirm was waaaaaaaaaaaaay too late.
Mute wrote:To expand on that, yes, I'd count that as a push for a "Lynch All Lurkers" lynch.
Yeah, but I wouldn't consider a double-replacing slot to be strategically "lurking." I will say that I've seen a game where one of the scum-slots was replaced twice, and it wasn't that long of a game. But I don't think that multiple replacements is directly scummy. If the players acted scummy, then yes I would push for a lynch. But there have been less than 6(?) posts by that slot. Not much to go on. Let's take a look at the replacement first.

@Everyone
Pray to Drench that he'll grant a deadline extension with this replacement epidemic.
Part of the problem.
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #313 (ISO) » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:29 am

Post by Mute »

@Dawg:
You wrote:I have to ask, what was the idea that caused you to get off my wagon like someone lit it on fire? There was certainly quite a bit of posting going on between your previous post and the one above, but you were 100% convinced that I was scum before, and you haven’t yet said what it was that changed your mind.
Right now, I say that to progress the game, it'd be better to lynch the single most detrimental player, the one who did nothing, and the replacement that was forced to enter and provided little as well. That slot is doing nothing this game, and if it's a scum-slot then more the better reason to add to lynch it.

EDIT::
@Plague:
6 posts by the replacement. Of them he managed to vote for Ty and give vague arguments/reasons for his cases.
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #314 (ISO) » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:42 am

Post by theplague42 »

Mute wrote:@Dawg:
You wrote:I have to ask, what was the idea that caused you to get off my wagon like someone lit it on fire? There was certainly quite a bit of posting going on between your previous post and the one above, but you were 100% convinced that I was scum before, and you haven’t yet said what it was that changed your mind.
Right now, I say that to progress the game, it'd be better to lynch the single most detrimental player, the one who did nothing, and the replacement that was forced to enter and provided little as well. That slot is doing nothing this game, and if it's a scum-slot then more the better reason to add to lynch it.

EDIT::
@Plague:
6 posts by the replacement. Of them he managed to vote for Ty and give vague arguments/reasons for his cases.
That's a really, really big
if
. It's super-scummy that you're pushing for a slot that isn't really doing anything and is a complete null-tell simply because nothing has been posted!
FoS: Mute
Part of the problem.
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #315 (ISO) » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:13 am

Post by Mute »

Tell me plague, what is worse for town in this game, a player that provides material that can be interpreted either as scum or town, and continues to the dialog, or a player that does nothing?
Neuky
Neuky
Goon
Neuky
Goon
Goon

Post Post #316 (ISO) » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:42 pm

Post by Neuky »

theplague42 wrote:Yeah, but I wouldn't consider a double-replacing slot to be strategically "lurking." I will say that I've seen a game where one of the scum-slots was replaced twice, and it wasn't that long of a game. But I don't think that multiple replacements is directly scummy. If the players acted scummy, then yes I would push for a lynch. But there have been less than 6(?) posts by that slot. Not much to go on. Let's take a look at the replacement first.
I agree with this. @Mute, I think you should try and understand that there is a very real difference between a lurky slot and one that has been manned by two dis-interested players so far. I'd rather wait until we get a more productive player in that slot to try and get a better read.

For the record, I'm still willing to vote Stels, but think that this moment in time I'm not willing to put him at L-1 when we have 2 new players coming in - just in case one slaps a Stels vote on without realising.

As for the Naben late confirmation discussion - am I missing something? Surely the mod closes any activity between scum when he announces the game beginning? The only interesting thing for me about confirmation was that Mute, Stels and Dawg all confirmed within an 8 minute period.
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #317 (ISO) » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:00 pm

Post by Mute »

Naben, why's the time when people confirm something to note? I've never understood why people bring it up in hopes of arguing "well scum will be watching the game to see when it starts." Dawg has free time from his job, I've got free time from my lack of a job.
Stels
Stels
he/him
Goon
Stels
he/him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #318 (ISO) » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:34 pm

Post by Stels »

@theplague42: It's getting a bit irritating that you're nit-picking my choice of vocab. Ok, let me tell it to you this way. Think about what I'm about to say to you for a second. Ok, here we go: How does my warning of Workdawg benefit me or him in any way? He claimed he was VT. I warned him that that claim was final since he basically claimed the same thing twice. Assuming you think we are partners, which we are not, how does me saying that he can't claim anything else but VT help him in the future? Suppose he claimed doctor right out of the blue or as he is about to be lynched to save his ass, would I believe him? No, I wouldn't (depending on the scenario). Would you believe him even after his "scum-partner" warned him not to do so?
Another thing, you do know that I posted that after reading ALL of the posts that came before that specific post of mine, meaning I told him he can't claim anything else other than VT without arousing suspicion from me, when he was not going to die? Why would anyone give advice to their scum partners in-thread when their partner isn't going to die and they have the Night phase to talk about what to do, how they should do it, when, etc. Gawd!
Dude, I'm not defensive, I'm confused in what you want me to do. It's like I confined in a straight-jacket and if I say something, you treat it as crazy talk and criticize me with "OH HE BUDDY!" or "OH HE USE SE COVER". I'm not trying to use my status as SE in order to cover my ass, I'm an SE and a player. 1 hand I give advice, the other hand I play to my winning objective.
I don't mean to make you seem like an idiot, but I just have this urge to do so since those last posts of yours irritate me to the bone. The nit-picking pisses me off.
----------------------------------------------------
Workdawg wrote:ISO 16 is more of a warning than advice I would say. Is it scummy to warning another player of a potential mistake, maybe. Do I think it's a stone-cold scumtell, no... and certainly not as an SE in a newbie game where that player has made a substantial number of newbie moves. If this was a game of veteran player, I would put much more weight on it, but Stels has a track record of providing advice to other people as well.
I've explained the exact same thing to theplague42, yet he still thinks it's advice. The fact that he can't comprehend what I said probably will be the same for this chunk you provided.
@Workdawg: ok, nevermind, he just did what I said ^^.
@theplaguee42: WAIT? WHAT!? You insult my concept of warning =/= advice and let him off the hook for basically the same thing with a light pat on the head and a "go play with the other kids"... :'(
@Mute: We still have a week, why lynch a slot that could still give content? (OMFG ADVICE). You're worried that there is no content to be added, yet from what I gather from veridis, there is more content that he has to share with us, since he has other suspicions other than Ty from his largest bandwagon analysis.
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #319 (ISO) » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:24 pm

Post by Mute »

Problem is he's being replaced without any warning. Same with Nacho. At least Ty came in and gave both his reason and an extra farewell of his final reads.

I'm willing to wait for a replacement for that slot but they'd better get a good read of the thread and give some usable speculations.
Workdawg
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #320 (ISO) » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:46 pm

Post by Workdawg »

@Stels

I'm not really sure what you are referring to above with the, "Ok, NM, he just did what I said." thing.

@Mute
There's still a week left to simply lynch the "most detrimental player" in the game. We can all agree that either asano or veridis has provided little to no content for the thread and either of them would be a legitimate target for a last minute choice, but I don't think either of them are "the most detrimental". Certainly someone we can identify as likely scum would be better, and hopefully a week will be an adequate amount of time to find that person.

You still didn't answer my question about what has occurred that has taken me down from 100% scum to "less scum than a lurker." Certainly I
should
be a better target than either of them, unless something has changed.

Quick and dirty analysis of Ty

I'm going to try and avoid talking about his case against me as much as a I can, as I've already posted my defense against it. Unfortunately, a fair amount of the content he has provided in the game is that case against me, so it's hard to avoid it.

The first thing that jumped out to me was in ISO #5, point 4). He accuses me of wagon hopping and states the following:
Ty in ISO #5 wrote:By ISO #22, Workdawg is once again voting Mute, apparently the wagon for my lynch wasn’t going well-enough for Workdawg. To me, there’s a clear distinction on how you’ve been voting.
Instead of trying to hunt for scum, you’re trying to find the easiest way to get someone lynched. This is playing for the win condition of the scum, not the town.
Reading through his ISO, it looks like he's been doing the same thing. He was 3rd onto my wagon, and I don't necessarily blame him for that. I think I was the obvious target for a wagon at that point. But the reason for hopping on my wagon is what concerns me. Did he really feel that I was scum, or did he simply see me as a soft target? Both Nacho and Stels had expressed that they thought my play was just terrible newb town, but he didn't feel the same. I obviously can't comment on why he got on my case, but I can speculate.

I feel like he probably targeted me because I looked like an easy mislynch rather than an extra scummy player. He seemed to have a much bigger issue with Nacho than he did with me at the time, but he still came after me.

I think his statement holds more scumminess now though. He voted for Stels when all the heat was already on. He was only 2nd to vote, but it certainly seemed like it was warming up.

Up until Ty hopped on me, he hadn't yet voted for anyone. Now, in his exit post, he casts a vote for someone whom he "has mixed feeling about". He has said before that he doesn't feel the need to use his vote to apply pressure, but then what is he doing right now? He didn't build anything even close to resembling a case against Stels, he simply suggested that one of the experienced players is probably scum. With the typo from Drench saying Nacho is being replaced, the only other experienced player to vote for would have been Stels. It seems wholely contradictory to his play style before.

I feel like if his exit post was genuine, he would have stuck to his playstyle and attempted to build a case against the player he felt was most scummy, instead of completely switching it up and casting what can only be described as a "pressure vote." Did he see that my profiles went over so well that he thought he'd try the same thing to get heat off his replacement?

The other thing that I noticed is that he really didn't do a very good job of defending himself against the initial concerns with his posts.

In ISO #4 he attempts to address the issues of; long posts, too much of a teacher, and tunneling nacho. An analysis of his defense for each follows:

1) Long Posts
He says, generally... Sorry. I don't understand how this is a scum tell. Please explain how long posts would be used to lurk.

He doesn't even really defend himself here. He just kind of dodges this, IMO. It was explained that his long posts were easier to hide misinformation in and that longer posts would look less like lurking than short quips. The argument at that point was that his posts were just filled with general advice and not anything directly useful to the game. I've already said that I don't feel like this was really scummy anymore, but he didn't bother to address it when it was an issue.

2) Being a Teacher
He'd feel bad about not teaching as an SE.

This is reasonable, but again, it doesn't really defend his actions from the issues at the time. It's easy to say that he was teaching, but for the reasons outlined above, it didn't seem like he was doing it in the best interests of the town. Again, he doesn't really address the issue. Just kind of dodges it.

3) Tunneling Nacho
This one I don't really have any issues with. Interestingly, it's also "the most reasonable response" he saw to why he was voted for.

===========

Sorry if this post seems a bit disconnected. I typed up half of it earlier today and finished off the last part just now.

PEdit @Mute
Nacho and Veridis were prodded, not being replaced... Drench typoed and corrected this yesterday.
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #321 (ISO) » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:56 pm

Post by theplague42 »

Mute wrote:Problem is he's being replaced without any warning. Same with Nacho. At least Ty came in and gave both his reason and an extra farewell of his final reads.

I'm willing to wait for a replacement for that slot but they'd better get a good read of the thread and give some usable speculations.
Nacho isn't being replaced IIRC. He's just been prodded. Drench had accidentally put "replaced" instead of "prodded" but he fixed it.
Stels wrote:@theplague42: It's getting a bit irritating that you're nit-picking my choice of vocab. Ok, let me tell it to you this way. Think about what I'm about to say to you for a second. Ok, here we go: How does my warning of Workdawg benefit me or him in any way? He claimed he was VT. I warned him that that claim was final since he basically claimed the same thing twice. Assuming you think we are partners, which we are not, how does me saying that he can't claim anything else but VT help him in the future? Suppose he claimed doctor right out of the blue or as he is about to be lynched to save his ass, would I believe him? No, I wouldn't (depending on the scenario). Would you believe him even after his "scum-partner" warned him not to do so?
Another thing, you do know that I posted that after reading ALL of the posts that came before that specific post of mine, meaning I told him he can't claim anything else other than VT without arousing suspicion from me, when he was not going to die? Why would anyone give advice to their scum partners in-thread when their partner isn't going to die and they have the Night phase to talk about what to do, how they should do it, when, etc. Gawd!
Dude, I'm not defensive, I'm confused in what you want me to do. It's like I confined in a straight-jacket and if I say something, you treat it as crazy talk and criticize me with "OH HE BUDDY!" or "OH HE USE SE COVER". I'm not trying to use my status as SE in order to cover my ass, I'm an SE and a player. 1 hand I give advice, the other hand I play to my winning objective.
I don't mean to make you seem like an idiot, but I just have this urge to do so since those last posts of yours irritate me to the bone. The nit-picking pisses me off.
I don't want to start another fight like Mute/Workdawg. I'm sorry if I'm angering you. I tend to nit-pick. It's my nature. Also, I have read games where scum-ICs semi-use their role as town leader to direct the game. The choice of words isn't my main point though, so I'll gladly drop that as a peace offering. I won't let off on my main point, sorry.

Main point broken down:
1. You told Workdawg that he can't claim PR since he already claimed VT.
2. Town shouldn't lie, and Workdawg knows that. He also knows about "Lynch All Liars."
3. Therefore, you shouldn't have to give that advice, even as SE. I just don't see it as the kind of general pro-town advice that is usually given.
4. If you are town, how does giving that advice benefit you? The only thing it does is reminds a scum-player that he can no longer claim PR. How does this is any way benefit town?
5. That kind of advice, in any situation, will
never
benefit town. I can't think of a single situation where town would benefit from being reminded they can't claim PR. If they are a PR, then they shouldn't lie in the first place. If they are a townie, then why would they lie and claim a PR? Especially considering that's a pretty advanced and rare tactic. If they are scum, then they know what claims they can safely make and those that they cannot.
Part of the problem.
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #322 (ISO) » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:36 pm

Post by Mute »

Dawg: I grew tired of our back and forths that led nowhere.
Workdawg
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #323 (ISO) » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:48 pm

Post by Workdawg »

@Mute:
So... either you never thought I was scum and was just setting up a case at me for a mislynch, or you still think I'm scum and you want to lynch a lurker for fun?
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #324 (ISO) » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:56 pm

Post by Mute »

Neither... or rather, the latter in partial.
I don't rule out a possibility you could be town but I won't drop my suspicion on you yet. I want to lynch a slot whose occupants thus far have done little to advance the town. Call it over-aggressive if you must, I stand by that.

Frankly I want to advance the game to D2 so we can start using more than just speculation based on words to find someone to lynch.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”