Newbie 1076: Day Three

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
DarkFlashlight
DarkFlashlight
Goon
DarkFlashlight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:53 pm

Post by DarkFlashlight »

chkflip wrote:
DarkFlash
:
- I gave a reason with my RV... does that make my vote not random? (i.e. give me your definition of "random" in RVS)

- A little confused. Do you agree or disagree with Kagetora?
1. I suppose are there two thoughts to it. You can either be randomly voting, or voting for minuscule reasons that wouldn't warrant a vote in the more developed parts of the game. Obviously, I was referring to completely random. Giving a reason for a vote, but writing it off as random makes you seem like you don't want to be responsible for the outcome.

2. I disagree with Kagetora. If you don't mind, I'd like to know why it was ambiguous. Or even if you do mind, still tell.

Sondanaa, if you're going to scarcely post, please at least try to be up to date when you post. You didn't even mention anything that happened in the game.
chkflip
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
Stand Up Guy

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:16 pm

Post by chkflip »

DarkFlashlight wrote:Also, the flaw in Kagetora's logic is, yes, if we don't lynch today there will be one less choice tomorrow which obviously won't be a Maf, so
that does help the odds
. But if we do lynch, we'll have two less tomorrow, which will be one townie for sure, and then maybe a Maf, or maybe just another villager which would further better the odds.
There's not really a losing scenario there right now

I usually only see NL'ing if there's a cop domineering the lynches, which can't happen because there are two setups with cop, and one doesn't have doc, so cop can't trustfall and assume there's a doc—it could kill him. Obviously both of them claiming isn't a choice. The other reason is if it's MYLO and there's not an obvious choice.
- The underlined parts, plus pretty much the whole second paragraph. It just seemed like you were kind of fence-sitting.

- LOL @ "even if you do mind," if only we could all be a little more like DF.
"Fuck you. I opened up my heart to you and you stabbed it a thousand times." - Gamma, to me, right before confessing to being the town vig and murdering my scum partner N1.
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:02 pm

Post by Nachomamma8 »

We're always in the shadows, lurking, waiting, hiding... You won't even know us as we murder you during the night...

Votecount 1-3:

DarkFlashlight (0) -
Otolia (1) - DarlaBlueEyes,
Common Man (1) - DarkFlashlight,
Spikkle (1) - Common Man,
Kagetora (1)- Spikkle,
Sondanaa (1) - chkflip,
Sakako (0) -
DarlaBlueEyes (0) -
chkflip (0) -
Not Voting (3): Otolia, Sondanaa, Sakako
(No Lynch (1): Kagetora,)

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch.
Last edited by Nachomamma8 on Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

-- Fate, Vanilla Townie, was brutally stabbed by a throwing sword in endgame.
Spikkle
Spikkle
Townie
Spikkle
Townie
Townie

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:59 pm

Post by Spikkle »

Spikkle:
- Your name makes me think of racist things, does that make me a racist?

- Can you start your case on Kage or do you believe you have said everything you need to say on the situation?
Really, if I was to attempt to squeeze any further reasoning out of my mind on the matter of why I'm voting for Kagetore it would be baseless and contrived justification, purely made up in retrospect, of what is admittedly, a flimsy reason to vote. I think I've said everything I can on the point, and I just maintain that 'tis better to vote for someone than no-one.

And as to your first question, yes, yes it does, you bad bad man you.
DarkFlashlight
DarkFlashlight
Goon
DarkFlashlight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:41 pm

Post by DarkFlashlight »

@chk
"Helping the odds" was referring to increasing the odds of hitting a Maf tomorrow, since that was the basis of Kage's argument.

"There's not a losing scenario
in voting today
" was my intent. It's not MYLO or LYLO, and as just mentioned, lynching today better improves the chances for hitting Maf tomorrow (and today) more than NL'ing. There isn't really a way that can go wrong.

The second paragraph was meant to be irrelevant to the first. I was explaining when I usually see NL's. This isn't either of those cases, so it can be ignored by most people, it was just advice.

I like that Spikkle said that he wasn't going to make up a reason rather than make up a reason.
Common Man
Common Man
Townie
Common Man
Townie
Townie
Location: At the one place next to that one thing with thous people around it doing that thing everyday.

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:20 pm

Post by Common Man »

- You've played a lot IRL, but they never used the term mislynch? What was the term they used?

- What rules are different?

- Are you at all confused by anything?
1.) We called it a "Free Lynch"

2.) Well some of the role names are different, some roles have alittle bit different powers, and we usually begin with night one then go to day one.

3.) What is RVS.
Other than that, im good. Ill ask if i need anything else

-----------------------------------
I almost have a reason to change my vote, im not gonna say who or why. I never believed in pointing out who i think is scum on the first day. I think it always makes a person seem like a pretty scum like, and the last thing i want to be is scummy.
"
"Common Sense"
is not so common actually.
I've met many men and women who
barely had enough sense to pay for a piece of gum.
The few that do have it are the ones who make something great of their lifes.
So i take it as a great complement to be called a
"Common Man"
"
Sakako
Sakako
Goon
Sakako
Goon
Goon

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:38 pm

Post by Sakako »

DarkFlashlight wrote:Randomly voting for a reason isn't very random.
It is, in my experience, if the reason is obviously a joke.
chkflip wrote:- Don't change your avatar, I was just being RVS-esque.

- Why do you feel the need to leave RVS on page 2?

- Why are you so quick to jump ship and ask different questions? Is our opinions of you that necessary?

- Answer your own question for me, please. My answer? I'd say one of you and DBE is one scum while one of the newer players would be second scum. It's not always that way, per se, but I've noticed that it happens more often than not.
1. Of course.

2. That's probably got something to do with the fact that I haven't been here for a while. The other games that I've been playing were limited to two days per Day rather than three weeks, and so there really wasn't much space for RVS. :)

3. I'm not entirely sure what was going through my head with this one. I don't really care what you all think of me, no.

4. Going back through my previous games, I'm not entirely sure that was the case except for one of them. So I would say that that's probably not the case here. Assuming that there's a random chance of any one of us being scum, it's more likely that the scum are two newer players. And since apologetic players irk me, I'm gonna say that CM is probably scum, if it's anyone.

----

Having answered all of that, I'm going to press again, and see what some of our newer players' ideas are. I was rather happy with the fact that you did answer the question, chkflip. So, again:
who's scum?
Sakako
Sakako
Goon
Sakako
Goon
Goon

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:39 pm

Post by Sakako »

Oh and also, CM:

RVS stands for Random Voting Stage. It's the bit at the start of the game where we all vote for someone without any good reason to, due to a complete and utter lack of information.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:25 am

Post by Otolia »

chkflip wrote:
Common
:
- Which part of the world do you hail from?

- How many games of mafia have you played before?
I'm french and thus no native english speaker. I then suggest you that you keep speaking a understandable english and not some slang from wherever you might be born, because I won't learn that to please you.

Many IRL, one on this website.
chkflip wrote:
Otolia
:
- So you don't recommend un-voting, nor do you recommend a No Lynch. What
do
you recommend?
Freespeech country ? Anyone ? Mind your own business !
DarkFlashlight
DarkFlashlight
Goon
DarkFlashlight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:55 pm

Post by DarkFlashlight »

Erm, what Otolia? The last reply in that post didn't make any sense. He asked a really normal question. And if we're not switching votes, I am curious as to what we're supposed to do. Everyone (and no lynch) that's been voted for has only 1 vote, there are three people not voting, and hammer is five. Using your way, it's impossible to do anything other than watch the deadline run out.
DarlaBlueEyes
DarlaBlueEyes
Mafia Scum
DarlaBlueEyes
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:56 pm

Post by DarlaBlueEyes »

I too am confused by the last part of Otolia's post...
Show
you done goofed.

Il Sarcastro (3:40:26 AM): Hitler doesn't like the Beatles
Il Sarcastro (3:40:30 AM): And that's what makes him Hitler
Sakako
Sakako
Goon
Sakako
Goon
Goon

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:39 pm

Post by Sakako »

Me too. If he wasn't French, I'd say that was slightly scummy, even.
chkflip
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
Stand Up Guy

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:51 pm

Post by chkflip »

Otolia wrote:
chkflip wrote:
Common
:
- Which part of the world do you hail from?

- How many games of mafia have you played before?
I'm french and thus no native english speaker. I then suggest you that you keep speaking a understandable english and not some slang from wherever you might be born, because I won't learn that to please you.

Many IRL, one on this website.
chkflip wrote:
Otolia
:
- So you don't recommend un-voting, nor do you recommend a No Lynch. What
do
you recommend?
Freespeech country ? Anyone ? Mind your own business !
- I never asked you to learn anything; furthermore, those questions weren't directed toward you, so your brash and offensive behavior is just brash and offensive. How am I to know that you're French? I mean, it's nice to know, it might even explain your less-than-polite decorum, but you could've been much less ridiculous with this post. Much less. Moving on.

- Yes, the United States is a country that enjoys freedom of speech. So does France, apparently, and most other non-third-world countries (I assume). Unfortunately, that doesn't have anything to do with what I asked you. You're posting in a game giving people your opinion, which is all fine and good (I actually encourage it), but it was just "do not do this" and "do not do that." That being said, I'd
still
like to know what it is Otolia
would
do if it isn't a No Lynch and isn't removing an RVS vote. So, please, answer the question.

- Also, normally, I'd slightly agree... ish. People
should
mind their own business, but this is a game of mafia. A game of debate. Your business
is
my business, sir, so do kindly get used to me interjecting in your conversations because it's going to happen. A lot. And not just with me, either; I'm sure you see people reacting to your post directed at me? Exactly.

- Just answer the questions you're asked. Thanks.
"Fuck you. I opened up my heart to you and you stabbed it a thousand times." - Gamma, to me, right before confessing to being the town vig and murdering my scum partner N1.
DarkFlashlight
DarkFlashlight
Goon
DarkFlashlight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:39 pm

Post by DarkFlashlight »

Implying that you're hiding something is always a bad idea. If I thought you actually were protecting yourself and not just being confused, you'd get my vote right now.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:15 am

Post by Otolia »

I had fun, not enough to justify continuing foolishly in this direction though. Thanks for your replies everyone. I was merely attempting to bring some conversation in this boring D1. Don't hate it on the french ;) he'd already given up. Moving on because none of us looked good there.

As for your question, chkflip, I frankly don't know what do answer. I personaly hate RVS, and I don't find RQS any better. And because I'm not a genius I didn't find any other option, I have to bear it like anyone else. But that doesn't mean I have to participate actively by casting votes upon everyone. That's the way I play in Day 1 nothing more to add.

PS : No I wasn't confused.
DarkFlashlight
DarkFlashlight
Goon
DarkFlashlight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:36 am

Post by DarkFlashlight »

That sounds like a lame excuse. Playing dumb wouldn't get anyone in the hotseat other than you, which is exactly what happened.

Otolia wrote:Don't hate it on the french ;)
he'd already given up.
What exactly is that supposed to mean?

Otolia wrote:Moving on because none of us looked good there.
I'm dying to know why anyone other than you looked bad there.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:22 am

Post by Otolia »

DarkFlashlight wrote:That sounds like a lame excuse. Playing dumb wouldn't get anyone in the hotseat other than you, which is exactly what happened.
But nobody voted against me ... I don't see any hotseat here. And you can consider it as a lame excuse it doesn't matter to me. You can even vote against me if it's what it takes to get this day started.
DarkFlashlight wrote:
Otolia wrote:Moving on because none of us looked good there.
I'm dying to know why anyone other than you looked bad there.
Well you all were hook to my trolling so it doesn't make you looks good (anyhting to do with mafia though=
DarlaBlueEyes
DarlaBlueEyes
Mafia Scum
DarlaBlueEyes
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:06 am

Post by DarlaBlueEyes »

*headtilt*

I still don't get it. :/

Anyways, I don't really see a need for an argument about the pros and cons of RVS in a newbie game, honestly. Newbie games are less about a hard-core strategy and more about learning the system. Nothing wrong with strategy, mind you, but I think we should be more focused on discussion about players than whether or not RVS is viable or good.

With that being said, there are a lot of people who need to post more here, primarily Sondanna. I would rather complain about lurkers making it impossible to get full feel/read on this game than RVS being bad.
Show
you done goofed.

Il Sarcastro (3:40:26 AM): Hitler doesn't like the Beatles
Il Sarcastro (3:40:30 AM): And that's what makes him Hitler
DarkFlashlight
DarkFlashlight
Goon
DarkFlashlight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:37 am

Post by DarkFlashlight »

I'm confused as to what you wanted in reply to your random outburst. We all called you out on it, and you're saying that you caught us.

And yeah, Sondanna looks like he'll need replaced at this pace.
Sakako
Sakako
Goon
Sakako
Goon
Goon

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:49 pm

Post by Sakako »

Otolia, as someone who drew attention to themselves far too much in his early games, I can say that it's most usually a bad thing. Even when I was town, I still got lynched either day 1 or day 2, because I was trying to be too tricky.

The moral of the story is, don't do it. It's usually not pro-town to look like you've got a secret.

Anyone else agree?
Kagetora
Kagetora
Townie
Kagetora
Townie
Townie

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:59 pm

Post by Kagetora »

Alright sorry for a delay in posting, been studying for and taking the SAT the last two days. Anyway here we go. tl;dr at bottom.
chkflip wrote:
Kagetora
:
- You were quick to vote for a No Lynch, yet you don't often do this D1. If I told you that we have three mislynches before we lose, would that change you mind? I ask because you seem stuck on the fact that we only have one available mislynch when that's far from the truth.

- How many games of mafia have you played outside of MS?
1. In the places I've come from, No Lynching is standard practice on Day 1. And no, mislynching without gaining useful information (which in my experience is what tends to happen almost all the time on D1 lynches). Also, by my count we only have two mislynches before we get to LyLo. And no still doesn't change my mind because in my view a worthless lynch is more harmful than one in which we can prove or disprove claims. Also yes, I don't know why but I was thinking it was a game of 7 rather than a game of 9.

2. Well, every weekday during lunch I play 1-3 games, on Wednesdays 3-5 after school, a random amount of IRC based games throughout the week, and occasionally online in forums. So... a lot?

3. Also since you seem to be asking this to a lot of people, I'm from Washington. State, not DC. Just didn't wanna feel left out ;_;

For the useless info, I'll point to the discussion between you and DBE. You seem to be reaction testing, and a supposed reaction has been produced from DBE. Now you could use this to press a case against DBE and let's assume we did try to lynch her (not that I support this). What does she have to claim that we can either prove or disprove at this point beyond her role? Nothing besides her words, which are not yet plentiful or sided enough to put any pressure on new people.

Some of this nl support comes from the fact that I usually start with a night and am not used to having a lynch OPTION, let alone a lynch.
Sakako wrote:Anyone else agree?
Yes. It is not unusual for me to lynch someone (even if I'm sure they're town) because what they're saying is tricky, wifomy, and generally harmful to town. Although I tend to use this mostly during our last possible mislynch.
DarkFlashlight wrote:
Otolia wrote:Don't hate it on the french ;)
he'd already given up.
What exactly is that supposed to mean?
I read it as a joke. "hahaha french people surrender hurhurhur" Although seriously, over-analyzing syntax and diction is rarely profitable in the early game, and in my opinion falls under what I said above. Of course, I tend to play by analyzing overall strategy and subsequent slips rather than individual posts. I will almost never lynch someone because of a single sentence or paragraph.

tl;dr: I nl D1 because I don't think any useful information comes out of rl, I'm not used to it, and because it seems foolish to me. Don't purposely be tricky, it will get me on your wagon like nothing else. Also, analysis of word choice tends to be worthless (for me at least, if it works for you go ahead).
Ratio of Day 1 Mislynches: 1/1
Kagetora
Kagetora
Townie
Kagetora
Townie
Townie

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:59 pm

Post by Kagetora »

Also mod, I didn't vote for myself.

Of course you didn't, sorry about the mistake.
~Nacho
Ratio of Day 1 Mislynches: 1/1
DarkFlashlight
DarkFlashlight
Goon
DarkFlashlight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:25 pm

Post by DarkFlashlight »

I think you misunderstood my point. I wasn't skeptical of what he said, I had no clue what it meant.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:03 pm

Post by Otolia »

Sakako wrote:Otolia, as someone who drew attention to themselves far too much in his early games, I can say that it's most usually a bad thing. Even when I was town, I still got lynched either day 1 or day 2, because I was trying to be too tricky.

The moral of the story is, don't do it. It's usually not pro-town to look like you've got a secret.

Anyone else agree?
I don't agree. There is no such law and you can always escape a lynch if you try hard. Whether it's pro-town or not is another question but transparent play isn't always pro-town. Nevertheless it's maybe time for the people that claim they know how to play to start scumhunting or to vote No Lynch.

I'll be replaced between the 15/03 and 24/03. I'll will take my seat back (if I'm still alive) at that point. The mod will be informed of the player who will replace me and will decide what to do with this information.

Edited because red is my color, not yours.
~Nacho
Last edited by Nachomamma8 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Common Man
Common Man
Townie
Common Man
Townie
Townie
Location: At the one place next to that one thing with thous people around it doing that thing everyday.

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:48 am

Post by Common Man »

I've read and thought over it a couple times, makeing a tree outline of possiblity, then picking which would be best as of for town. No lynching i believe is best, so Spikkle . . . . UNVOTE: Spikkle your off my chopping block for today. I agree with Kagetora's latest post so . . . . VOTE: No One

If im alive tomorrow, please dont judge me as scummy when i vote out of the thin air. I have my reason and would love to share if you want to know.
"
"Common Sense"
is not so common actually.
I've met many men and women who
barely had enough sense to pay for a piece of gum.
The few that do have it are the ones who make something great of their lifes.
So i take it as a great complement to be called a
"Common Man"
"

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”