[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2625 (ISO) » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:15 am

Post by The Fonz »

Tragedy wrote:
Lover's Mayhem

2 Mafias

8 Town Lovers

Silly Mafias can't be lovers, as a Nightless game.
Mwahehehe. This would most likely favor Mafias if they can lover-death-dodge, while Town are the silly mafia catchers.

Everyone claims their partners instantly. Town gets three lynches to hit the scummiest-looking pair. That's actually town-balanced. Once one scum goes down, so does the other, immediately. Although it might not be SO town-friendly as to be unfun...
Last edited by The Fonz on Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2626 (ISO) » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:15 am

Post by Crazy »

Crazy wrote:6p Lovers had a 40% chance of
town
winning. 8p Lovers has about a 65% chance of town winning. Meaning the town will win more often than not if they just random lynch all the time.
Oh, wait, nevermind, you're right. 6p lovers does have a 60% of town winning. That's insane. If scum are winning a majority of those setups, then that's even more insane. But certainly if the town already has a 60% chance of winning, we don't need to give them any more advantage.
Olinea
Olinea
Mafia Scum
Olinea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2627 (ISO) » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:47 am

Post by Olinea »

Mr. Flay wrote:
Olinea wrote:
Special Mechanics:

~If 2 or more Doctors target the same person, that person dies.
What if one of said Docs is RBed?

Otherwise, I got nothing. I feel like it's been done before...
Yeah, I just realized it's kind of like a reverse Fire & Ice :/

Also, Roleblocking would prevent the Doc "protection" from going, so the person would live.
GreyICE:
Cult: You're playing monopoly, when all of a sudden someone grabs the gameboard and throws it across the room. Then plops down a risk board. And then tells you you were playing risk all along. And that you now have 5 armies left, and control two countries in the middle of Africa.
Tragedy
Tragedy
Jack of All Trades
Tragedy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2628 (ISO) » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:19 pm

Post by Tragedy »

Lovers Mayhem
(EDITED)

2 Mafia Goons
2 Mafia Treacherous Lovers

8 Lovers
2 Town Treacherous Lovers

Edited Nightless Lovers Mayhem.
All Lovers got Day Talk, hehe.
But Mafia Treacherous Lovers can also talk to their Mafia Mates too during the Day Phase too.
I blame you for this.
For I have been awaiting for another heart pounding segment of
Dokidoki Precure!

[10/15/2013 - 00:13] -
Tragedy
~
I wish for Kami-nii-sama to have better naming skills.
gandalf5166
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2629 (ISO) » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:50 pm

Post by gandalf5166 »

There's a setup LIKE that already called polygamist that has four pairs of lovers and one group of 4 mafia that are all lovers with each other. It's VERY hard for mafia. Doesn't mean I didn't win it though. :P

So the idea has been done, so you know.
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #2630 (ISO) » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:21 pm

Post by Antihero »

gandalf5166 wrote:There's a setup LIKE that already called polygamist that has four pairs of lovers and one group of 4 mafia that are all lovers with each other. It's VERY hard for mafia. Doesn't mean I didn't win it though. :P

No. Treacherous lovers are where the lovership (is that a word?) is half town, half scum. So, pretty much, it's like polygamist except for town don't know if their lover is also town at the beginning.

Tragedy, that's actually a pretty interesting variation on a kind of hackneyed mechanic.
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2631 (ISO) » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:56 am

Post by chesskid3 »

>_>
what about mineeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Papa Zito - "Your signature has been blanked...we remove signatures at a users request if said signature references them, or if it quotes from a thread in the Speakeasy, which is not allowed without permission of the poster"
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #2632 (ISO) » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:32 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

Antihero wrote:
gandalf5166 wrote:There's a setup LIKE that already called polygamist that has four pairs of lovers and one group of 4 mafia that are all lovers with each other. It's VERY hard for mafia. Doesn't mean I didn't win it though. :P

No. Treacherous lovers are where the lovership (is that a word?) is half town, half scum. So, pretty much, it's like polygamist except for town don't know if their lover is also town at the beginning.

Tragedy, that's actually a pretty interesting variation on a kind of hackneyed mechanic.
I've seen treacherous lovers as in where if the other half dies, this half doesn't.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
Chronopie
Chronopie
Mafia Scum
Chronopie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2633 (ISO) » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:49 am

Post by Chronopie »

Sounds a bit like one I played in, I don't remember what it was called but the setup was:

4x VT
3x Lover

1x T.Lover
1x Goon

We ended up outing both pairs of lovers D1, but Obv the Mafia didn't NK the other pair for several days, as it would have resulted in an insta Lynch on the 1/1 pair.

(I was the town
Lover
paired w/ the
T.Lover
)
Show
He's
baaa-aaack

~Chrono

League of Legends
Chronopie (30) || Greyscale Aeon (12)

Steam: Chronopie

Apathy = Vanilla [/self-meta]

Because turrets are just there to give poppy a free stun ~Rayfrost
gandalf5166
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2634 (ISO) » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:33 am

Post by gandalf5166 »

The problem there is that it's the best idea for both lover pairs to claim D1, so that they have a 50% chance of lynching scum.
Tragedy
Tragedy
Jack of All Trades
Tragedy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2635 (ISO) » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:40 am

Post by Tragedy »

gandalf5166 wrote:The problem there is that it's the best idea for both lover pairs to claim D1, so that they have a 50% chance of lynching scum.
But then again.
There's 5/9 to mislynch. I can't do math right either.
I blame you for this.
For I have been awaiting for another heart pounding segment of
Dokidoki Precure!

[10/15/2013 - 00:13] -
Tragedy
~
I wish for Kami-nii-sama to have better naming skills.
gandalf5166
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2636 (ISO) » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:44 am

Post by gandalf5166 »

Of course, if they get it wrong D1, then D3 they ARE left with 3 players. So worse results if they DO fail, but a much lower probability of it happening. And even if they get it right, scum shoots the other pair and they're at 5p.
DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog
Pronoun: she

Post Post #2637 (ISO) » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:20 am

Post by DeathRowKitty »

chesskid3 wrote:12p mountainous 9/3 with players divided into 3 groups of 4 people, and guaranteed exactly 1 scum in each group.
A quick calculation says town should win 7/18 of the time with random lynches, or about 39%. I would expect the actual win percentage to be lower though. Theoretically optimal play for town is to always lynch from the smallest of the three groups that still contains scum (optimal play for scum is to kill a confirmed if one exists and to kill from the largest remaining group if not), which in general means town might not be going after top scum picks, which could decrease lynch accuracy.

The concept is nice, but it doesn't seem like it would play out well.

I don't know what an executioner is, so I didn't bother to look at the other game.
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2638 (ISO) » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:51 pm

Post by chesskid3 »

DeathRowKitty wrote:
chesskid3 wrote:12p mountainous 9/3 with players divided into 3 groups of 4 people, and guaranteed exactly 1 scum in each group.
A quick calculation says town should win 7/18 of the time with random lynches, or about 39%. I would expect the actual win percentage to be lower though. Theoretically optimal play for town is to always lynch from the smallest of the three groups that still contains scum (optimal play for scum is to kill a confirmed if one exists and to kill from the largest remaining group if not), which in general means town might not be going after top scum picks, which could decrease lynch accuracy.

The concept is nice, but it doesn't seem like it would play out well.

I don't know what an executioner is, so I didn't bother to look at the other game.
But if town does get a scum in a group of 4 they have 3 conftownies, so % goes up :)

scum exectiooner is a one shot secret daykill that forfeits that night's nightkill
Papa Zito - "Your signature has been blanked...we remove signatures at a users request if said signature references them, or if it quotes from a thread in the Speakeasy, which is not allowed without permission of the poster"
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #2639 (ISO) » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:54 pm

Post by Andrius »

Chrono:
D1: All lovers claim.
Lynch from the non-lover claimants.
N1:
Scum either kill the town lovers and thereby sacrifice their own lover, or they kill from the VTs. Keep lynching from the VTs until scum shoot the lovers.
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog
Pronoun: she

Post Post #2640 (ISO) » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:47 pm

Post by DeathRowKitty »

chesskid wrote:But if town does get a scum in a group of 4 they have 3 conftownies, so % goes up
I'm not sure if this is referring to the expected win rate or reality. If it's referring to the expected win rate, I did take that into account (the calculation for that isn't too difficult; just start from 3 groups of 4 players, each with one scum, and branch off the possibilities for each day assuming town goes for the highest percentage chance and scum kills to give town the lowest percentage chance). If it's referring to reality, then I guess it kind of depends on how good those confirmed townies are in the day game, considering scum will just kill them off one-by-one at night.

The advantage town has in this setup vs. reality as compared to 2-10 mountainous is that scum are either forced to choose from a smaller pool of possible kill targets or sacrifice theoretical expected value each night, which could either force scum to play in a theoretically suboptimal way or to allow strong players to live longer. I'm not sure exactly how much that would affect balance and how much the town situation of having to lynch from a certain pool to avoid sacrificing theoretical expected value would counter that. Could be interesting.

I'm not really sure how it would play out. I would probably be willing to play it if it were run.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the other setup, I'm not sure I see the point of executioner. Is it just to get an early shot at recruiting the traitor or does it bypass PGO? It seems like it should be roughly balanced (supposedly a vig balances either 12p or 13p with 3 scum and I forget which). I kind of like the PGO here in that it reduces swing vs putting a vig in the setup, since the only variable with PGO is whether or not it kills scum, instead of whether or not it kills scum and whether or not it kills town.
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2641 (ISO) » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:43 pm

Post by chesskid3 »

it's to counter the PGO.
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2642 (ISO) » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:44 pm

Post by chesskid3 »

PGO is night only.
so PGO can both be killed by the executioner.

also the traitor could be made killable by scum executioner or could also not know they are a traitor for balance.
Seacore
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2643 (ISO) » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:45 pm

Post by Seacore »

Idea:
Standard mafia game except that you lose if you die. To counter the lurkfest that would normally ensue, the game is invitation only choosing players who aren't jerks like that.
chkflip
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
Stand Up Guy

Post Post #2644 (ISO) » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:59 pm

Post by chkflip »

CHK MAFIA

TOWN

1x Cop
1x Hated Miller (req's 1 less vote to lynch)
7x Vanilla

MAFIA

1x Godfather w/ inv-immunity
1x Goon

SCUM2

2x Werewolf
"Fuck you. I opened up my heart to you and you stabbed it a thousand times." - Gamma, to me, right before confessing to being the town vig and murdering my scum partner N1.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #2645 (ISO) » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:14 pm

Post by Andrius »

chkflip: What's the point of the Miller?
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
chkflip
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
Stand Up Guy

Post Post #2646 (ISO) » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:26 pm

Post by chkflip »

Fake-claim and to throw the people's "Cop's always right, follow him" mentality.
"Fuck you. I opened up my heart to you and you stabbed it a thousand times." - Gamma, to me, right before confessing to being the town vig and murdering my scum partner N1.
Herodotus
Herodotus
Black Ops
Herodotus
Black Ops
Black Ops

Post Post #2647 (ISO) » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:49 pm

Post by Herodotus »

It shouldn't work out that way. When they claim, they're confirmed town unless one of the scum decides to counterclaim and get lynched the next day.
Interesting power difference between the scumteams there.
Just because a majority of a group of people decide it's okay doesn't mean it's not murder. - Cobblerfone
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #2648 (ISO) » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:18 pm

Post by GreyICE »

Seacore wrote:Idea:
Standard mafia game except that you lose if you die. To counter the lurkfest that would normally ensue, the game is invitation only choosing players who aren't jerks like that.
So a VT who draws the NK off a power role is playing suboptimally?

BAD IDEA MAFIA

Wanna see it play out.

"Okay, I'm scum. You got me. Me and my partners agreed to shoot the first person on the wagon every night, unless you idiots try some game like voting whose the first on the wagon, then we'll just shoot whoever is the first to vote for whoever is first on the wagon. Waiting for unvote from #1 to nominate new #1."

Congrats, voting for scum is now against your win condition.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #2649 (ISO) » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:47 am

Post by Antihero »

chkflip wrote:
CHK MAFIA

TOWN

1x Cop
1x Hated Miller (req's 1 less vote to lynch)
7x Vanilla

MAFIA

1x Godfather w/ inv-immunity
1x Goon

SCUM2

2x Werewolf
Why do the werewolves have an advantage?
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”