The Mafiascum World of Warcraft Thread

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #950 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:42 pm

Post by JDodge »

i'd also like to take this time to ask exactly what this co-founder position's benefits are, noting that if it's essentially co-GM then reck definitively should step down as GM as it's pretty clear he's no longer a trustworthy arbiter, nor is he acting in his position as the "necessary functionary" that we agreed on
stream

ffxiv/speedrunning sometimes/other things?
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #951 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:44 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

You know, I chipped in for a bank tab, have been making pots and such on request (namely cayke and her mana potions), have farmed mats for people (ex - dram's Motes that took for-freaking-ever), have mailed random useful gear/potions to those that could use it... Hell, our guild name was one of my suggestions. Do you see me asking for power or throwing a fit about other people having a higher rank than I?

No. Because not only is this just a game, but we're supposed help each other out, as a guild. We're supposed to not only help, but communicate with one another. That's key. And that's all this seems to be - a miscommunication.

JD, I see where you're coming from. If you had a problem, though, you could have spoken up instead of threatening to quit the guild. I don't have anything against you, but I do have to say this - if you want to leave, leave. No one's stopping you. Also, if you want this to be a full democracy, why not let our recruits have some input too? You've failed to mention them.

Concerning the guild architecture or whatever the fuck, I gave no input because I don't think I'm that great a player, so my opinion doesn't matter as much. I do like the idea of higher ranks acting as "teachers" to the lower ranks. I'd even offer to "sign up" for a council position, but again, I lack self-confidence/skill.

Concerning the guild tabard, I like the yellow. But if we change it, I suggest either white, black or blue. Just my two copper.

But basically, we're all adults here (right?). Let's talk things out. As long as we have a website, I fail to see why it matters who makes it. Everyone has equal input regardless of rank (Reck offering to step down to appease JD proves this), so everyone just take a chill pill.

First tans and now this - I'm tired of all this drama. =/

/phonepost
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
Flameaxe
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Comma Police

Post Post #952 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:46 pm

Post by Flameaxe »

WORLD OF DRAMACRAFT. WEEEE.
Defined by who I dislike, not who I like~
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #953 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:56 pm

Post by AGar »

Flameaxe wrote:WORLD OF DRAMACRAFT. WEEEE.
Bam, how long was the server transfer approximately?
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
Flameaxe
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Comma Police

Post Post #954 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:59 pm

Post by Flameaxe »

AGar wrote:
Flameaxe wrote:WORLD OF DRAMACRAFT. WEEEE.
Bam, how long was the server transfer approximately?
No longer than 2-3 hours for me. Surprisingly quick.
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #955 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:00 pm

Post by AGar »

Hmmmmm.

HMMMMMMM.

I wonder.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
Flameaxe
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Comma Police

Post Post #956 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:00 pm

Post by Flameaxe »

DO IT.
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #957 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:02 pm

Post by AGar »

85. Heroic Ready. Prot/Arms.

Only hitch is that I'm still in a guild on Shadowmoon that I like, it's just I never get on with them anymore :/

Grrrrr.

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #958 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:03 pm

Post by JDodge »

InflatablePie wrote:You know, I chipped in for a bank tab, have been making pots and such on request (namely cayke and her mana potions), have farmed mats for people (ex - dram's Motes that took for-freaking-ever), have mailed random useful gear/potions to those that could use it... Hell, our guild name was one of my suggestions. Do you see me asking for power or throwing a fit about other people having a higher rank than I?
No. My point is not that I have no power or that other people have a higher rank, my point is that there is no need for the power to exist and the rationale behind it is a steaming BS sandwich.
Pie wrote:No. Because not only is this just a game, but we're supposed help each other out, as a guild. We're supposed to not only help, but communicate with one another. That's key. And that's all this seems to be - a miscommunication.
The latest in a string of miscommunications.
IP wrote:JD, I see where you're coming from. If you had a problem, though, you could have spoken up instead of threatening to quit the guild. I don't have anything against you, but I do have to say this - if you want to leave, leave. No one's stopping you. Also, if you want this to be a full democracy, why not let our recruits have some input too? You've failed to mention them.
This is me speaking up, and I have technically quit already (as has Cay, who has cosigned on my original letter, but she's not formalized it yet)

I have not met any of our recruits yet.
Pie wrote:Concerning the guild architecture or whatever the fuck, I gave no input because I don't think I'm that great a player, so my opinion doesn't matter as much. I do like the idea of higher ranks acting as "teachers" to the lower ranks. I'd even offer to "sign up" for a council position, but again, I lack self-confidence/skill.
My point is that everyone's opinion should matter if we're to continue the facade that we're a welcoming, social group.
Pie wrote:But basically, we're all adults here (right?). Let's talk things out. As long as we have a website, I fail to see why it matters who makes it. Everyone has equal input regardless of rank (Reck offering to step down to appease JD proves this), so everyone just take a chill pill.

First tans and now this - I'm tired of all this drama. =/

/phonepost
As an artist, and as someone who views this undertaking (most of which is going to be about aesthetics, as is most every website in the long run; you wouldn't visit a place if it was hideously ugly) as a creative endeavor, having creative control stripped from me without anyone consulting me is something I take as a personal insult to my talents and to my dedication towards this project (which will require a lot of hours of work). Since it seems we have taken the "I'm just going to make my own" approach to things here, then the fact that my project was at a competitive disadvantage from the beginning is also insulting to me.
stream

AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #959 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:06 pm

Post by AGar »

I MIGHT DO IT GUYS.

But I actually and legitimately have to consult my girlfriend first.

Flameaxe
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Comma Police

Post Post #960 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:06 pm

Post by Flameaxe »

AGar wrote:85. Heroic Ready. Prot/Arms.

Only hitch is that I'm still in a guild on Shadowmoon that I like, it's just I never get on with them anymore :/

Grrrrr.
WE NEED MORE PEOPLE FOR CLASSIC/BC RAIDS MAAAAN.
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #961 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:22 pm

Post by AGar »

Flameaxe wrote:
AGar wrote:85. Heroic Ready. Prot/Arms.

Grrrrr.
WE NEED MORE PEOPLE FOR CLASSIC/BC RAIDS MAAAAN.
IF THE GF APPROVES, WE ARE A GO.

Flameaxe
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Comma Police

Post Post #962 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:33 pm

Post by Flameaxe »

WOO
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #963 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:47 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

Well, JD, I told you I'd step down to prove I don't care about the power involved. And everyone else seemed to be okay with it. The structure I would like to set up is this:

HierarchyGuild Master ~ A function-only role, possibly someone's Level 1 alt that won't actually be used much, only there to change Rank, Rank Permissions, and Bank Tab Permissions.

Council ~ An odd number of people, each one in charge of a separate area. This would ideally include whoever has Guild Master privileges, so that the Council can carry out their demands through the use of the GM power. We have to vote on Council positions, though.

Veteran ~ Any member who has proved their worth to the guild long enough and does not want a Council position/doesn't win a Council election.

Member ~ Standard guild member.

Recruit ~ Trial period for two weeks after they originally join.

Probation ~ Someone who has been inactive, or has committed a rule infraction.

Council PositionsSo far, I've figured out that we could potentially use the following roles. The council as a whole will make executive decisions, but these roles would focus specifically on certain things. The names, obviously, can change.

The Banker ~ Organizes/moderates what goes in and out of the bank, to an extent.

Public Relations ~ Specifically deals with recruiting.

Human Resources ~ The go-to person for any interpersonal conflict within the guild.

Raid Leader ~ Person who is responsible for leading the raids and knowing the fight information (when we get there, which will be sooner than we all expect).

Someone-Who-Organizes-Guild-Calendar-Shit ~ I don't have a name for this role, but essentially they would make sure Guild Events get posted, and they would (ideally) also be responsible for knowing what achievements we have left to get in order to properly create events/groups for raids/achievements.

I'm open to any other ideas you can think of.

DemocracyOnce every [x] period of time, Council positions will be voted on by Members/Veterans, and the Guild Master will be chosen by the Council, from the Council. We would need to have a Council election NOW, and we would need to decide on the different positions within the Council before going ahead with the actual election. Unless someone has a different idea, I don't see how we could just have a free-for-all for every council position available.

WebsiteJD has a specific design/layout in mind for the website, AGar has offered to help with coding, and Brock has set something up as an "in the meantime" type thing. Everyone can find the current temporary website here. You can sign up for the site using your WoW login and characters, and everything is streamlined into the site itself. Brock is more interested in the management/upkeep side of things than he is the actual coding/design of the website (though obviously he wants to be involved in that), but I think the Guildzilla site works for now. AGar is looking into ways to route WoWhead data and Armory data directly into a custom-built site. The three of you could collaborate (and anyone else, for that matter) on putting the whole website together.

AGar has already signed up (as did I, and Brock) and I would like to move all guild-related discussion to the temporary site so that everyone can read along, not just MS.net people. Forums are being set up as we speak so they should be good to go fairly soon.

In conclusion, this is democratic. I don't care about power, and I believe the above system can keep power in-check as well as give people a direct say in who runs what, and who has what abilities.
green shirt thursdays
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #964 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:53 pm

Post by dramonic »

JDodge wrote:No. My point is not that I have no power or that other people have a higher rank, my point is that there is no need for the power to exist and the rationale behind it is a steaming BS sandwich.
The only one with ACTUAL higher power besides Reck is myself, and it's that to reorganize the bank pretty much freely. Brock's Co-GM title is a name more than anything else.
My point is that everyone's opinion should matter if we're to continue the facade that we're a welcoming, social group.
I'm not sure how anyone's opinion is being ignored frankly. You haven't logged on in a while and only hinted once at having interest in us having a website =S
As an artist, and as someone who views this undertaking (most of which is going to be about aesthetics, as is most every website in the long run; you wouldn't visit a place if it was hideously ugly) as a creative endeavor, having creative control stripped from me without anyone consulting me is something I take as a personal insult to my talents and to my dedication towards this project (which will require a lot of hours of work). Since it seems we have taken the "I'm just going to make my own" approach to things here, then the fact that my project was at a competitive disadvantage from the beginning is also insulting to me.
Well, if you're not openly announcing that you are currently working on a website for the guild it's not stripping you of creative control as much as assuming you were just launching an idea in the air...
I'm a hoot
Stream: twitch.tv/dramonic
-If you stick your ear close enough to the game thread you can actually hear dram suffer in real life.-Beeboy
-Being obtuse is not a consequence of being a mod, it's a prerequisite. I think you may just have overestimated my intelligence before.-Korts
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #965 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:54 pm

Post by dramonic »

EDIT: Even then, Reck's not using his guild master powers beside making special ranks to avoid getting recruit-plundered.
I'm a hoot
Stream: twitch.tv/dramonic
-If you stick your ear close enough to the game thread you can actually hear dram suffer in real life.-Beeboy
-Being obtuse is not a consequence of being a mod, it's a prerequisite. I think you may just have overestimated my intelligence before.-Korts
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #966 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:05 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

I'll run/apply/whatever for the Human Relations spot.

Or Public Resources.

[Edit] I'm so tired I mixed up both names. Strike that, reverse it.

dramonic wrote:Even then, Reck's not using his guild master powers beside making special ranks to avoid getting recruit-plundered.
^

Can't we all just get along? :(

@AGar: A free transfer (when Cata first came out) was about 15 minutes and a paid transfer I did a month or two ago (because I was too lazy to reroll a Lv60) took about 30-60m. So, not very long. Then again, they were fairly low level with little items and stuff, so...
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #967 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:37 pm

Post by JDodge »

really suggest in the long-term scaling the HR position to a sub-council of people, or perhaps separating it from the "council" part
dram wrote:You haven't logged on in a while and only hinted once at having interest in us having a website =S
1. i stated pretty publicly that i was taking a 2 week break for midterms + spring break
2. i'm on AIM almost 24/7, people could have dropped me a line there
3. we have a fun thing called a pm system here on MS that could have been used
dram wrote:Well, if you're not openly announcing that you are currently working on a website for the guild it's not stripping you of creative control as much as assuming you were just launching an idea in the air...
i don't see how i at all didn't openly announce i was working on one, and people could still have asked instead of assuming

when you assume, you make an ass out of yourself
dram wrote:The only one with ACTUAL higher power besides Reck is myself, and it's that to reorganize the bank pretty much freely. Brock's Co-GM title is a name more than anything else.
it's impossible for any of us to confirm that
stream

TheGunslinger
TheGunslinger
Watcher
TheGunslinger
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #968 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:46 pm

Post by TheGunslinger »

JDodge wrote:
when you make an assumption, you make an ass out of you and umption.
"The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed." -Stephen King
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #969 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:08 pm

Post by JDodge »

TheGunslinger wrote:
JDodge wrote:
when you make an assumption, you make an ass out of you and umption.
so long and thanks for the fish, asshole
stream

xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #970 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:32 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

JD wrote:1. i stated pretty publicly that i was taking a 2 week break for midterms + spring break
Why is it our responsibility to do that? I appreciate you volunteering as I'm sure everyone else does, but we saw no proactive progress, and it's not up to us to somehow get ahold of you to make sure you're doing what you at-one-time volunteered to do. And no, there was no way for Brock to contact you, seeing as how he doesn't have AIM and isn't on MS.
JD wrote:it's impossible for any of us to confirm that
It's impossible for any of you to confirm... what? That nobody else has higher power other than dram? No, that's pretty easy to tell. That I haven't given secret powers to people? No, I haven't done that, and there's no reason to think I have.
JD wrote:really suggest in the long-term scaling the HR position to a sub-council of people, or perhaps separating it from the "council" part
This is probably a better idea anyway, since one person making conflict resolution decisions is a bit too overpowered.

I would like to figure out a set few council positions so we can get a preliminary list and start the elections.
green shirt thursdays
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #971 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:56 pm

Post by JDodge »

xRECKONERx wrote:
JD wrote:1. i stated pretty publicly that i was taking a 2 week break for midterms + spring break
Why is it our responsibility to do that? I appreciate you volunteering as I'm sure everyone else does, but we saw no proactive progress, and it's not up to us to somehow get ahold of you to make sure you're doing what you at-one-time volunteered to do. And no, there was no way for Brock to contact you, seeing as how he doesn't have AIM and isn't on MS.
so you're working from the assumption that i'm a liar when i say i'm going to do something and/or that i'm a flake

well that's a good place to start
reck wrote:
JD wrote:it's impossible for any of us to confirm that
It's impossible for any of you to confirm... what? That nobody else has higher power other than dram? No, that's pretty easy to tell. That I haven't given secret powers to people? No, I haven't done that, and there's no reason to think I have.
actually, i'd argue that defining a rank for
a single person
is a good reason to think that you have, otherwise it's at best just an appeasement (which i'd find kind of insulting, personally)
stream

xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #972 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:08 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

No, I'm working on the assumption that people say they'll do things a lot then don't have time. But a guild website is a rather pressing matter since we're trying to start recruiting.

I'm not discussing the matter any further. It's been discussed to death, apologized for, and everyone else but you seems to have moved past it. I'd like to move on to actually improving the guild.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #973 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:06 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

So I created and leveled a Warrior with dram tonight (he has a hunter, both are undead). I'm terrible at tanking with it though. I'm just not sure what the general approach to tanking with a Warrior at this low of a level should be. Any advice, guys?
green shirt thursdays
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/they

Post Post #974 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:49 pm

Post by Fenchurch »

What level are you? I'd say the basics are:
a) You pull. It's a major pain trying to get aggro off someone else at the start of the battle with zero rage.
b) Get the Prot talent Blood and Thunder. Charge, Rend + Thunderstorm into groups, repeat Thunderstorm as often as possible.
c) Use Sunder Armor (later replaced by Devastate) and Shield Slam and Revenge on your main target.
d) I like Gag Order, for silencing casters, to ease maneuverability without using line of sight. I find that besides threat, the main challenge as tank is ensuring the fight happens in the right place so you don't get adds.

Additionally, an addon like Tidy Plates: Threat Plates works wonders for telling you which mobs you're losing threat on.

Return to “The Arcade”