Newbie 1081: Showdown in Newbtown (Game Over, Mafia win)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Fatso
Fatso
Goon
Fatso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:45 am

Post by Fatso »

h3ll0 wrote:First thing first.

From Post #74
Fatso wrote:Um,
Bulvious
and my posts weren't even in reference to you there...
Is where you answered sarahfish89's question. Dated Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:45 pm, based on my timezone (GMT +8)
How am I answering a question there? I was clarifying a mistake she made.
h3ll0 wrote: And also, Fatso, it is barely 3 + days since the last vote count. Have patience. Most mods update around twice a week, so it's still on schedule on my count, especially since considering that antihero is not around.
Not that worried about a new vote count, more about lynchking and BS not being prodded.
"Don't shuffle that deck, it's stacked!"

-Fatso
Fatso
Fatso
Goon
Fatso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:50 am

Post by Fatso »

Oh, and:
Unvote, Vote: BS

-Fatso
sarahfish89
sarahfish89
Townie
sarahfish89
Townie
Townie

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:51 am

Post by sarahfish89 »

Bulvious wrote:
sarahfish89 wrote:

Question: Apart from me, who do you think is the most scummiest at the moment? Same with townie. (other people can answer too)
I don't like this question, at all. To me, this is a question scum would ask in order to find out who the night kill needs to be and who to turn people against. That's... Bad.
I was just asking a question about who people thought were scummy, I don't really see the harm but I guess it be thought as a Mafia member trying to get information to cause confusion.
Bulvious wrote:
sarahfish89 wrote:

I see what you mean about the pointless bit, but I didn't really know how to start posting or anything. It was kinda pointless on page 3 though and I do have minor scum reads on BS and lynchking for inactiveness, but not enough to make a full case.
Also horrible. I understand that she's new, but I posted previously in the topic referencing 'scumhunting'. She's not doing it. She's not engaging people, not asking questions (ones that help town anyway). Scum tend to not really have much to do if they aren't busy trying to throw people off via acting like town. High chance of noobscum in this case. Vote pending.[/quote]

See the bottom of my post for response.

startransmission wrote:Right now I'm most interested in Sarafish. I'll refer to her as SF from now on. She's not necessarily my only suspect right now, but she's definitely worth discussing. Almost everything she says raises an eyebrow.
Zdenek wrote:Sarahfish's posts detailing how she feels on each player was fairly pointless and I could see scum feeling the need to make a post like that in order to try to appear helpful. I'm also concerned that she has no scum reads because it's often hard for scum to fake scum reads.
I agree, it was my first reaction upon reading her post. It was pure fluff, and I noted that she handed out townie cards more than anything. That always concerns me.

I see in her profile that she's a 12 year old girl. Or at least claims to be. Part of me worries that that is an attempt to justify a VI meta, a wolf in sheep's clothing kinda thing. And there have been spots of her posting that encourage my suspicion of that,
sarahfish89 wrote:I was? Oh I see what you mean, I guess I was doing this without realising but you did need to post more
The above being an example. I know it's weak, but something here really gets my gut.
I am 12, but that's not important really. What does me been 12 have anything to do with me being Mafia, although that's probably got something why I'm not good at Mafia.
Bulvious wrote:
sarahfish89 wrote:

Question: Apart from me, who do you think is the most scummiest at the moment? Same with townie. (other people can answer too)
I don't like this question, at all. To me, this is a question scum would ask in order to find out who the night kill needs to be and who to turn people against. That's... Bad.
And that's why I usually won't answer those questions, at least not on the first day, and usually not on the second either. But right now I'm torn between seeing SF as newbtown or newbscum. Either way I think the kind of fishing that you're perceiving might be giving her a little too much credit. It's certainly not something to disregard however. If she's scum I would more be likely to consider the questions intent to be more a of topic changer from her (as h3llo brought up) vote than what you're worried about.

Her defense of Fatso is interesting as well. She may well be ingratiating herself to Fatso, or they are partners. Considering that she handed out either townie or null cards to everybody, it's hard to say. Fatso's reaction was natural, I always feel the same way when my play/opinion is congratulated or defended in a game. She says she's read enough games on this site to know that many newbies feel about RVS the way Fatso does, and they end up being townie. I don't think I buy that, or at least it rings very untrue.
[/quote]
Budding up is scummy and I know that so why would I do it so much is it's scummy, I wouldn't do that if I was their partner and was scum. Also this is only out of the games I've read and you've played and read more than me so I could be different for you.
Bulvious wrote: I think what my main concern is regarding SF is that I get a phony vibe from her. None of her actions are so specifically scummy that they couldn't be made by a newbtown player. But she says she's not a newb player, but somebody who's played elsewhere for a year and that's read more than one game here. She would have been... 10? 11? when she started playing mafia. Not impossible, but not likely either. Combined with the way that she explains her actions, including her vote on lynchking, that my gut feels is as or more likely to be relaxed dishonesty as it is words from a newbtown player.
Yes, I played since I was 11, I would find you a game as proof but we've had a forum wipe. Also may I add, that the games I play are more relaxed and quite different from here. So I'm finding it hard to find scum.
Fatso
Fatso
Goon
Fatso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:13 am

Post by Fatso »

Some of those quotes were mess up, weren't they? Could you try to edit it so it makes more sense?

-Fatso
alnkpa
alnkpa
Townie
alnkpa
Townie
Townie

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:33 am

Post by alnkpa »

Well I don't think we are allowed to, right? So we would need to ask a mod to do it.
Fatso
Fatso
Goon
Fatso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:46 am

Post by Fatso »

Sorry, I just meant re-post it with the weird stuff fixed. My bad.

-Fatso
Bulvious
Bulvious
Goon
Bulvious
Goon
Goon

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:45 am

Post by Bulvious »

Wow, that was... An awful post. I'm sorry, but that was horrific to make sense of and to read.

Vote: Sarahfish

Maybe I'm just a horrible player for basing this vote entirely on the fact that the target can't make analysis what-so-ever. Additionally, the defense is all weak and there's still no scum-hunting.
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:22 am

Post by startransmission »

SF, please use the "preview" button before you post. A readable and decently formatted post makes people happy. Doesn't have to be perfect, just something that's easy to make sense of.
sarahfish89 wrote:I am 12, but that's not important really. What does me been 12 have anything to do with me being Mafia, although that's probably got something why I'm not good at Mafia.
No, your age isn't important to your alignment.
sarahfish89 wrote:Budding up is scummy and I know that so why would I do it so much is it's scummy, I wouldn't do that if I was their partner and was scum. Also this is only out of the games I've read and you've played and read more than me so I could be different for you.
WIFOM, and newbie card.
sarahfish89 wrote:Yes, I played since I was 11, I would find you a game as proof but we've had a forum wipe. Also may I add, that the games I play are more relaxed and quite different from here. So I'm finding it hard to find scum.
Ok, my gripe isn't that I don't believe you've played elsewhere. It's that I suspect you're misrepresenting yourself. I do understand that this site plays mafia far more seriously than other sites. I myself played mafia elsewhere before I played here, and was thrown off by how seriously things are taken here.
Bulvious wrote:Maybe I'm just a horrible player for basing this vote entirely on the fact that the target can't make analysis what-so-ever. Additionally, the defense is all weak and there's still no scum-hunting.
No, those reasons are valid for throwing down a vote. The fact that she could in fact be a child that's used to a lighter version of mafia is staying my hand, for the moment.

@SF- Could you please post links to the games you read on this forum before this game started?
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:12 pm

lynchking wrote:Hey guys, sorry for the delay. I've had way too much on my plate the past few days.

There's been a whole lot of discussion, which I'll need to read through and try to contribute to, later today.
Hrm. Patience is dwindling.

Also, my vote on BS is now no longer random.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
h3ll0
h3ll0
Townie
h3ll0
Townie
Townie

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:43 am

Post by h3ll0 »

Fatso wrote:
Bulvious
Is where you answered sarahfish89's question. Dated Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:45 pm, based on my timezone (GMT +8)
How am I answering a question there? I was clarifying a mistake she made.[/quote]
You weren't answering a question? So the "Bulvious" in your post was for show?
h3ll0
h3ll0
Townie
h3ll0
Townie
Townie

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:45 am

Post by h3ll0 »

EBMODP
Fatso wrote:
h3ll0 wrote:
Bulvious
How am I answering a question there? I was clarifying a mistake she made.
You weren't answering a question? So the "Bulvious" in your post was for show?
Fatso
Fatso
Goon
Fatso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:48 am

Post by Fatso »

I'm really not sure how this is misunderstood... My post here (in
red
) is not answering a question, it's stating that Sarah was confused
here
(in
blue
). She thought Bulvious and me were referring to her in the
first post
(in
purple
), when we were actually referring to BS. (Buvious's post is not here).
Fatso wrote:
sarahfish89 wrote:
Fatso wrote:
I'd kind of agree with that. She also defended me to some extent, which while not
necessarily
a scumtell does make me suspicious... In my last game the only people who ever directly defended anyone else (not each other, just townies) were the scum.
While I was defending you
, it was because I thought not liking RVS isn't a good enough reason to vote somebody and it's mainly townies that have done this, I was just basing this off my previous experience.
Um, Bulvious and my posts weren't even in reference to you there...

-Fatso
h3ll0
h3ll0
Townie
h3ll0
Townie
Townie

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:17 am

Post by h3ll0 »

*Facepalm*

I read it as:
Fatso wrote:
Um, Bulvious.(1)
and my posts weren't even in reference to you there...(2)
Where I though part (1) was your answer to sarahfish89.

Excuse me while I go bang my head against the wall.
sarahfish89 wrote:I was just asking a question about who people thought were scummy, I don't really see the harm but I guess it be thought as a Mafia member trying to get information to cause confusion.
The harm is that it helps Mafia to choose who best to target for their Night-kill. There is not much point in asking others who they feel is the towniest.
Budding up is scummy and I know that so why would I do it so much is it's scummy, I wouldn't do that if I was their partner and was scum. Also this is only out of the games I've read and you've played and read more than me so I could be different for you.
Budding is a form of asexual reproduction performed by certain plant species, in which a new organism grows on another one.
*shoots myself for being lame and out of topic*
Okay, if you know that buddying is scummy, why would you do it as a townie? Your defence is pretty much WIFOM.
sarahfish89
sarahfish89
Townie
sarahfish89
Townie
Townie

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:18 am

Post by sarahfish89 »

h3ll0 wrote:
Budding is a form of asexual reproduction performed by certain plant species, in which a new organism grows on another one.
*shoots myself for being lame and out of topic*
Okay, if you know that buddying is scummy, why would you do it as a townie? Your defence is pretty much WIFOM.
I'm saying why I wouldn't do it, I wasn't even buddying though, I was defending fatso because I thought that voting because they didn't like RVS wasn't a reason just to vote somebody.
startransmission wrote:SF, please use the "preview" button before you post. A readable and decently formatted post makes people happy. Doesn't have to be perfect, just something that's easy to make sense of.
Sorry, I thought I had checked it.
startransmission wrote:@SF- Could you please post links to the games you read on this forum before this game started?
I hope ongoing games are fine, if not, sorry.
http://mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16842
http://mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16915
http://mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16898
http://mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16571

In know it's only a few but still, just costing through some other games my point still stands.

The games I play, we don't really scum hunt, day one is bandwangoning and random reasoning and most other days are follow the leader (which, when I'm playing, I always tell them not to). So, this may sound really crappy but I don't really know how to scum hunt. (Link to my game that I'm hosting, these kind of games are play a lot.).

P.S startransmission, can I pm you after, I've died or the game has finished, on how to look for tells?
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:29 am

sarahfish89 wrote:I'm saying why I wouldn't do it, I wasn't even buddying though, I was defending fatso because I thought that voting because they didn't like RVS wasn't a reason just to vote somebody.
Ok, that's fair. The problem I had is that you insinuated that Fatso not linking RVS was not only not worthy of a vote, which is a valid opinion to have, but that it implied he was town.
sarahfish89 wrote:Fatso - Quite a few posts, saying they didn't like RVS hasn't really helped them but I don't think it's really a scum-tell as I've watched a few games on here and lots of newbies don't like or get it and RVS but they have turned out townie.
So I skimmed over the games you linked. And by the way,
startransmission wrote:@SF- Could you please post links to the games you read on this forum before this game started?
I hope ongoing games are fine, if not, sorry.
Antihero wrote:[*]You are not allowed to discuss this game outside of the thread unless I tell you otherwise, nor are you allowed to discuss other ongoing games in this thread.
Linking ongoing games is not allowed. I don't think it's a big deal, but for future reference etc. Anyways, the damage is done so I'll say that I looked at the games you linked. There is an example or two of a player stating their distaste for RVS. In one instance that player did in fact flip town. So, I can see how you would hold the opinion that not liking the RVS is not a scumtell, and hence defend Fatso against the scrutiny.
sarahfish89 wrote:The games I play, we don't really scum hunt, day one is bandwangoning and random reasoning and most other days are follow the leader (which, when I'm playing, I always tell them not to). So, this may sound really crappy but I don't really know how to scum hunt. (Link to my game that I'm hosting, these kind of games are play a lot.).
Ok, this is what newbie games here are for. I've played a brand of mafia like you've linked before, and understand how the differences here can be disconcerting. Scumhunting ability comes with time, just pay attention to what people say, and if you have questions, ask them. If you have suspicions, voice them. The discussions that will sprout from that will be invaluable to improving your scumdar. Scumhunting isn't an exact science.

[quote="sarahfish89"P.S startransmission, can I pm you after, I've died or the game has finished, on how to look for tells?[/quote]

Of course. Naturally I'll be bringing up what I see as tells as the game goes on. As will other players.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
Zdenek
Zdenek
Jack of All Trades
Zdenek
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:12 pm

Post by Zdenek »

Sarah, why is there an 89 in your user name?

What are people's opinions of lynching the scummiest lurker?

Personally, I think it could be a good move. We will hopefully hit scum, but no matter what we eliminate someone who the scum won't kill and who we won't be able to get a read on during the game; in both newbie games I've been in so far, town has lost by mislynching a lurker in LYLO.
I have secret plans and clever tricks.
- The Enormous Crocodile.
Bulvious
Bulvious
Goon
Bulvious
Goon
Goon

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:40 pm

Post by Bulvious »

I'd like to see some activity from either mod. Prods seem in order, if not replacements in some cases, not to mention vote counts.
Fatso
Fatso
Goon
Fatso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:14 pm

Post by Fatso »

h3ll0 wrote:*Facepalm*

I read it as:
Fatso wrote:
Um, Bulvious.(1)
and my posts weren't even in reference to you there...(2)
Where I though part (1) was your answer to sarahfish89.

Excuse me while I go bang my head against the wall.
Don't do that, you'll lose much needed brain cells.
Bulvious wrote:I'd like to see some activity from either mod. Prods seem in order, if not replacements in some cases, not to mention vote counts.
If this was on facebook, I'd like it.

-Fatso
Fatso
Fatso
Goon
Fatso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:17 pm

Post by Fatso »

Zdenek wrote:Sarah, why is there an 89 in your user name?

Personally, I think it could be a good move. We will hopefully hit scum, but no matter what we eliminate someone who the scum won't kill and who we won't be able to get a read on during the game; in both newbie games I've been in so far, town has lost by mislynching a lurker in LYLO.
BS seems scummy to me anyways (not voting while saying RVS was a good thing, and defending me). I think she is currently the correct lynch, seeing as she also hasn't posted in like 5 days. :?

-Fatso
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:56 pm

I'd imagine that's the year of her birth.
Zdenek wrote:What are people's opinions of lynching the scummiest lurker?
I'm not opposed to policy lynches on D1. But's that's barring a better case. A policy lynch should be a last resort, and is in a way a white flag on towns side. It means a good enough job wasn't made to isolate a truly scummy player. I think it's too soon to settle on a policy lynch. That said, my vote
is
on BS.
Bulvious wrote:I'd like to see some activity from either mod. Prods seem in order, if not replacements in some cases, not to mention vote counts.
QFT. This is the first game I've played on this site where I've become cross at the lack of moderating. I've seen bv310 online. Very soon a point will come where a lack of modding will potentially affect the WC of all players. If nothing is said or done within the next 24 hours a deadline extension should be granted- if not already.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:27 am

Post by bv310 »

Sorry guys, AH picked the worst time to go on vacation. Reminder kids, don't procrastinate. Been writing term papers all week. Those are done now though, so let's see if I can't be useful.

Vote Count #4 of D1

Banana Stickers (L-3): Startransmission, Fatso
Sarahfish89 (L-3): H3ll0, Bulvious
Fatso (L-3): lynchking, alnkpa
Startransmission (L-4): Zdenek
lynchking (L-4): sarahfish89

Not Voting: Banana Stickers

With 9 alive, it will take 5 to lynch or no lynch

Deadline's currently set for April 12, but will be extended if a majority of players ask for it.

Sarahfish89, since you're new here you're only going to get a warning, but posting links to ongoing games is usually strictly forbidden. I've edited the links out now, but just keep it in mind for the future.

Prodding Banana Stickers and Lynchking
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:29 am

Post by bv310 »

Well, turns out AH'll need to edit those out. I still don't have full mod powers in here for
some
reason.
alnkpa
alnkpa
Townie
alnkpa
Townie
Townie

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:46 am

Post by alnkpa »

Zdenek wrote:What are people's opinions of lynching the scummiest lurker?
I think that it is a good move if we have any valid other reason to lynch the lurker and not another player who is more suspicious. I mean, if we somehow clearly or almost clearly know that somehow is scum it would be quite silly to lynch another one, right? ;)
sarahfish89
sarahfish89
Townie
sarahfish89
Townie
Townie

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:01 am

Post by sarahfish89 »

bv310 wrote:
Sarahfish89, since you're new here you're only going to get a warning, but posting links to ongoing games is usually strictly forbidden. I've edited the links out now, but just keep it in mind for the future.
Sorry, I should have checked the thread rules before I posted them. Tried finding the site rules but couldn't find them. Thank you for not modkilling me though.
startransmission wrote:
sarahfish89 wrote:The games I play, we don't really scum hunt, day one is bandwangoning and random reasoning and most other days are follow the leader (which, when I'm playing, I always tell them not to). So, this may sound really crappy but I don't really know how to scum hunt. (Link to my game that I'm hosting, these kind of games are play a lot.).
Ok, this is what newbie games here are for. I've played a brand of mafia like you've linked before, and understand how the differences here can be disconcerting. Scumhunting ability comes with time, just pay attention to what people say, and if you have questions, ask them. If you have suspicions, voice them. The discussions that will sprout from that will be invaluable to improving your scumdar. Scumhunting isn't an exact science.
Okay, thanks, for some reason I thought I was going to be hated for not being able to scum hunt.
startransmission wrote:
sarahfish89 wrote:P.S startransmission, can I pm you after, I've died or the game has finished, on how to look for tells?
Of course. Naturally I'll be bringing up what I see as tells as the game goes on. As will other players.
Thanks. Okay, I'll go read some other games, PM you and then sign up for a new game as see how it goes.

Because it's my birth date backward, it's kinda random, but I could have been Toffee.

I wouldn't mind lynching ether BS or lynchking since lurking is scummy or at least anti-town.

BS: They said they were on V/LA till Saturday or Sunday, it's now Thursday which means they could be 1. Scum trying to stay low, 2. Have forget about the game or 3. Don't have computer or internet access. I'm not sure which but their V/LA is way over.

Lynchking: Don't have V/LA so have no reason not to post, posted 2 days with:
lynchking wrote:Hey guys, sorry for the delay. I've had way too much on my plate the past few days.

There's been a whole lot of discussion, which I'll need to read through and try to contribute to, later today.
I understand they may be busy but that's not much of a reason not to post, even a small post on what's been happening. Could be 1. Scum trying to stay low or 2. Town not knowing what to post. I cant think of much at the moment for lynchking but if I think of anything, I'll add it when I next post.

Out of the two, I would say if Lynchking doesn't post more soon I would lynch them but I wouldn't mind a BS lynch
Fatso
Fatso
Goon
Fatso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:46 am

Post by Fatso »

Thank you for reposting that. Personally, I think that lynch-a-lurker would be a good idea right now. (I'm aware that I've already said that).
@alnkpa, do you still find me scummy? If so, why?

-Fatso

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”