Newbie 1079: Feed the Lynch Mob (Game Over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:41 am

Post by Equinox »

Vote Count 1.05pandabear (3) - bristep123, GreyICE, Sn1pe29
Sn1pe29 (3) - Nachomamma8, tarsonisocelot, pandabear
Traveller (2) - King of Harolds, thil13
King of Harolds (1) - Traveller

With 9 alive, it's 5 to lynch.

The deadline is Thursday, April 7, 2011, at 11:59 PM EDT (UTC-4).
Traveller
Traveller
Townie
Traveller
Townie
Townie

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:08 pm

Post by Traveller »

Time to re-review past posts and re-evaluate my vote. One thing I don't want to do is put someone at L-1 or cast the lynching vote unless I'm as sure as I can be (given the circumstances). Will need a good reason to switch and all I have seen so far is conjecture. Guess that all we can do - take our best guess. My vote remains with KoH for the time being. However, if I get a bad feeling about someone, I'll change my vote regardless of the circumstances, even if that means I have to be the hangman.

Seems the ideal position for a player is to have some suspicion cast their way (so the Mafaosi won't knock them off that night but keep them as cover), yet not so much as to get lynched. Sn1pe, panda and I are all walking that tightrope, I have cast some suspicion on KoH, and the rest are all "Mafia meat".
thil13
thil13
Goon
thil13
Goon
Goon

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:35 pm

Post by thil13 »

All I'm seeing on each of these posts is people posting absolute filler. We may as well start over for all that's going on.

Traveller, please remind me of why your vote is on KoH.
I don't put much effort into looking at claims. You can lie and no one would be able to tell unless the role exists on some other player. So no mafia would claim cop or doc for the stupid risk of it.
Give me three steps, gimme three steps, mister
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:34 pm

Post by GreyICE »

thil13 wrote:All I'm seeing on each of these posts is people posting absolute filler. We may as well start over for all that's going on.

I don't put much effort into looking at claims. You can lie and no one would be able to tell unless the role exists on some other player. So no mafia would claim cop or doc for the stupid risk of it.
They probably would. If the real cop/doctor counterclaims, they win themselves an auto kill on town PR, and if they don't, the scum can get away with a lot.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
tarsonisocelot
tarsonisocelot
Goon
tarsonisocelot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:14 pm

Post by tarsonisocelot »

Traveller wrote:Time to re-review past posts and re-evaluate my vote. One thing I don't want to do is put someone at L-1 or cast the lynching vote unless I'm as sure as I can be (given the circumstances). Will need a good reason to switch and all I have seen so far is conjecture. Guess that all we can do - take our best guess. My vote remains with KoH for the time being. However, if I get a bad feeling about someone, I'll change my vote regardless of the circumstances, even if that means I have to be the hangman.

Seems the ideal position for a player is to have some suspicion cast their way (so the Mafaosi won't knock them off that night but keep them as cover), yet not so much as to get lynched. Sn1pe, panda and I are all walking that tightrope, I have cast some suspicion on KoH, and the rest are all "Mafia meat".
Even if you do get a bad feeling about someone could you not hammer them until close to the deadline? You should be able to use the extra time to re-evaluate or strengthen your case.

Also, that's only the ideal place to be if your goal is to personally survive - it should be to make sure that your side wins.
DemonHybrid:Tarson literally took a phallus-shaped knife and fucked my brain with it near the end

My name is Celestia, Princess of Equestria:
Look on my works, ye Mighty and despair!
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:26 am

Post by Nachomamma8 »

bristep123 wrote:Nacho : I think that there's something to be said for keeping early town claims in mind. It's a given that everyone in the game is or pretends to be town, I just think that people who drop "I'm town" into their posts early on come across as trying a bit too hard to drive the point home. Not that I'm saying I back Snipe, i'm not sure if panda's vote on him is distancing or not yet. His latest post (to me) read as "Backtrack and excuses, not that I'm backtracking or making excuses". Panda is still top of my list right now.
It really depends on the extent to the town-claiming, in my opinion. The fact that I had to check back to find it tells me that tan's wasn't suspicious.

Right now, I would be OK lynching either snipe or panda. Both have seemed fairly suspicious to me up to this point compared to everyone else.
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

-- Fate, Vanilla Townie, was brutally stabbed by a throwing sword in endgame.
Traveller
Traveller
Townie
Traveller
Townie
Townie

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:28 am

Post by Traveller »

thil13 wrote:All I'm seeing on each of these posts is people posting absolute filler. We may as well start over for all that's going on.

My vote for KoH was only in regards to his assertive style. Looking back, I can see it had a tinge of OMGUS to it; that's why I'm re-evaluating my vote.
Traveller
Traveller
Townie
Traveller
Townie
Townie

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:30 am

Post by Traveller »

tarsonisocelot wrote:
Traveller wrote:Time to re-review past posts and re-evaluate my vote. One thing I don't want to do is put someone at L-1 or cast the lynching vote unless I'm as sure as I can be (given the circumstances). Will need a good reason to switch and all I have seen so far is conjecture. Guess that all we can do - take our best guess. My vote remains with KoH for the time being. However, if I get a bad feeling about someone, I'll change my vote regardless of the circumstances, even if that means I have to be the hangman.

Even if you do get a bad feeling about someone could you not hammer them until close to the deadline? You should be able to use the extra time to re-evaluate or strengthen your case.

Also, that's only the ideal place to be if your goal is to personally survive - it should be to make sure that your side wins.
Quite right, taronisoscelot. This is not "Survivor".
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:04 am

Post by Equinox »

pandabear and Sn1pe29 have been prodded.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:14 am

Post by GreyICE »

Nacho, do you really have no opinion on the matter? I've rarely seen competing wagons day 1 where both of them were scum. Especially in a 7:2 newbie game. That borders on a total, complete miracle.

So we're going to play a game. You're going to tell me which one you'd vote for and why, and then you are going to lay down a vote. You know as well as I do that a scum quickhammer day 1 in F11 is no big deal - you trade a townie for a scum and two night action phases, that's frequently more than enough for a win.

Is that a serious statement that you have no opinion on the matter?
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Sn1pe29
Sn1pe29
Townie
Sn1pe29
Townie
Townie

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:35 am

Post by Sn1pe29 »

Nachomamma8 wrote:Snipe, could you explain why you think claiming town is scummy?

I believe claiming town that early in the game is scummy becuase it lacks a purpose and does not help the town at all, since scum will also claim town, while making it sound like the poster mainly has his or her own survival as their primary interest in the game.
pandabear
pandabear
Townie
pandabear
Townie
Townie

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:37 am

Post by pandabear »

Wow this is really getting nowhere...I agree with GreyICE at this point, I'd rather see Nacho or even anyone L-1 then hammer Sn1pe or me to move on and town do something productive D2 then sit around waiting for a wagon to finish and have scums lurking happily behind our posts. I'll claim VI for trying to be overly and ignorantly aggressive in my first game. But my vote stays on Sn1pe because in my point of view, he is still the scummiest at this point.
tarsonisocelot
tarsonisocelot
Goon
tarsonisocelot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:18 pm

Post by tarsonisocelot »

Sn1pe29 wrote:
Nachomamma8 wrote:Snipe, could you explain why you think claiming town is scummy?

I believe claiming town that early in the game is scummy becuase it lacks a purpose and does not help the town at all, since scum will also claim town, while making it sound like the poster mainly has his or her own survival as their primary interest in the game.
I believe it is null because it is the only role people would realistically be willing to claim on page 1. I do not follow your train of thought - how would claiming to be town on the first page mean that you just wanted to survive?

Posting to not go inactive while doing coursework.
DemonHybrid:Tarson literally took a phallus-shaped knife and fucked my brain with it near the end

My name is Celestia, Princess of Equestria:
Look on my works, ye Mighty and despair!
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:38 pm

Post by Nachomamma8 »

Traveller, how is that reevaluation going? Could you give us a suspect list?
GreyICE wrote:Nacho, do you really have no opinion on the matter? I've rarely seen competing wagons day 1 where both of them were scum. Especially in a 7:2 newbie game. That borders on a total, complete miracle.
I never said that. I said that I didn't care which one got lynched because they were both fairly scummy; obviously I feel stronger about Snipe because that's where my vote resides, but I wouldn't mind seeing panda got lynched. The game is stalling to such an extent, and it's ideal that we get a wagon with flips so the game can move forward.
pandabear wrote:Wow this is really getting nowhere...I agree with GreyICE at this point, I'd rather see Nacho or even anyone L-1 then hammer Sn1pe or me to move on and town do something productive D2 then sit around waiting for a wagon to finish and have scums lurking happily behind our posts. I'll claim VI for trying to be overly and ignorantly aggressive in my first game. But my vote stays on Sn1pe because in my point of view, he is still the scummiest at this point.
But don't lose that aggression completely. Just try honing it a bit more, as a piece of advice.
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:39 pm

Post by Nachomamma8 »

Mod, has King of Harolds responded to his prod yet?

Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:17 am

Post by Equinox »

Searching for a replacement for King of Harolds...
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:59 am

Post by GreyICE »

Nachomamma8 wrote:Traveller, how is that reevaluation going? Could you give us a suspect list?
GreyICE wrote:Nacho, do you really have no opinion on the matter? I've rarely seen competing wagons day 1 where both of them were scum. Especially in a 7:2 newbie game. That borders on a total, complete miracle.
I never said that. I said that I didn't care which one got lynched because they were both fairly scummy; obviously I feel stronger about Snipe because that's where my vote resides, but I wouldn't mind seeing panda got lynched. The game is stalling to such an extent, and it's ideal that we get a wagon with flips so the game can move forward.
pandabear wrote:Wow this is really getting nowhere...I agree with GreyICE at this point, I'd rather see Nacho or even anyone L-1 then hammer Sn1pe or me to move on and town do something productive D2 then sit around waiting for a wagon to finish and have scums lurking happily behind our posts. I'll claim VI for trying to be overly and ignorantly aggressive in my first game. But my vote stays on Sn1pe because in my point of view, he is still the scummiest at this point.
But don't lose that aggression completely. Just try honing it a bit more, as a piece of advice.
Okay, I'll buy that reasoning. I feel it, you feel it, Panda feels it. Frankly, PandaBear's last post seemed more likely to come from town genuinely fed up with this level of lurking than scum. And I'm generally fed up with this level of lurking myself. I check this thread, see nothing has been posted, nothing has changed, etc.

I just feel that that sentiment is more town than scum, and Sn1pe has done nothing to make me think anything other than 'he finds some stuff scummy' and 'he's lurking.'

I honestly feel it's very hard to scumhunt with this general activity level, and I've tried my damnedest to bring it up. We have interesting answers to questions, which I could analyze if I thought anyone would care. We have votes, and actions, and... nothing.

Snipe finds some stuff vaguely scummy and has almost no input on anything happening. He weakly buddies me and nacho, and follows me and Bristep's vote with little reasoning of his own.

Well fine. I don't think Panda's scum, that sentiment didn't seem to come from someone overly concerned with their own survival. If Sn1pe is town, I don't see any scumhunting occurring.

Vote:Sn1pe

I am going to start kicking down doors so we can get a real day tomorrow. And I've got my fingers crossed that he's very lazy scum, 'cause not much he's done seems town. It is hard to work up the motivation to scumhunt when you know all you'll find is townies and your partner, right Sn1pe?
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:59 am

Post by GreyICE »

That's L-1 btw.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:45 am

Post by Equinox »

Vote Count 1.06
Sn1pe29 (4) - Nachomamma8, tarsonisocelot, pandabear, GreyICE

pandabear (2) - bristep123, Sn1pe29
Traveller (2) - Herodotus, thil13
Herodotus (1) - Traveller

With 9 alive, it's 5 to lynch.

The deadline is Thursday, April 7, 2011, at 11:59 PM EDT (UTC-4).[/area]
Mod Notes

Herodotus replaces King of Harolds! Thank you, sir!
Last edited by Equinox on Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sn1pe29
Sn1pe29
Townie
Sn1pe29
Townie
Townie

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:50 am

Post by Sn1pe29 »

I guess I'm not a bad lynch. I do not have an important role and as most of you have brought up, am not doing much to help the town. If I do get lynched, hopefully the activity level in day 2 will improve.
Sn1pe29
Sn1pe29
Townie
Sn1pe29
Townie
Townie

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:54 am

Post by Sn1pe29 »

tarsonisocelot wrote:
Sn1pe29 wrote: I believe claiming town that early in the game is scummy becuase it lacks a purpose and does not help the town at all, since scum will also claim town, while making it sound like the poster mainly has his or her own survival as their primary interest in the game.
I believe it is null because it is the only role people would realistically be willing to claim on page 1. I do not follow your train of thought - how would claiming to be town on the first page mean that you just wanted to survive?
It does not mean they just want to survive, only that it makes it sound like survival is their primary interest. I believe that because claiming town that early provides no other benefits but trying to improve your survival chances.

Quote tags corrected. (Equinox)
Last edited by Equinox on Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herodotus
Herodotus
Black Ops
Herodotus
Black Ops
Black Ops

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:59 am

Post by Herodotus »

Hi everyone, I'm replacing King of Harolds.
I've been reading and I'm on page 4. Just got my role PM.

So far Sn1pe29 is my biggest suspect, but I see he's at L-1. I'm not going to vote right now, and I'm not going to ask for a claim before I've caught up, since there may be some later towntells from them.
But here are my reasons for suspecting Sn1pe29 as of page 4:

http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p2893090
This post by sn1pe29 is a weak case that even sn1 doesn't seem to believe in, as shown by the fact that Sn1 kept their vote on a different player.

Sn1's post 78: Why not comment on Panda/bristep/Grey?
Just because a majority of a group of people decide it's okay doesn't mean it's not murder. - Cobblerfone
Herodotus
Herodotus
Black Ops
Herodotus
Black Ops
Black Ops

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:26 am

Post by Herodotus »

Here are my notes for pages 1-4. I removed what I've already posted about Sn1pe29.
Sn1pe29 wrote:My second favorite number is 13.
But you have two numbers in your name and one in your avatar? :igmeou:

Re: the cat: it's image editing. No one did that to the cat.
GreyICE wrote:And btw, I declare bah on the RVS so far. RQS!

1) How many games of mafia have you played before?
2) What age are you?
3) Would you rather pull town or scum, and why?
4) Whose your strongest suspicion at this point?
1) Around 20 (my wiki page has them)
2) Around 2500 years (my other wiki page can tell you that)
3) Town. Town town town. Finding scum is what I enjoy about the game, so being scum means there isn't much appeal.
4) Before reading any further, Traveler, for somewhat the opposite of the reason tarsonisocelot thinks he's town. Traveler's first post says he doesn't want his alignment known, but townies should want that. Tars's defense is like WIFOM, discounting the obvious answer because it's too obvious. That doesn't mean I suspect tars at this point.

In fact, I like that Tars's post 65 shows she is using past experience to try to figure out peoples' alignments in this game.

@pandabear: OMGUS is neither a defensive move, nor scummy.
bristep123 wrote:
tarsonisocelot wrote: VOTE: Traveller
remember to unvote first, or your change of vote doesn't get registered.
This is incorrect, see the 3rd rule under "day".
thil13 wrote:I'm not sure, I don't really feel suspicious of anybody at this point, but I have seen some minor suspicious behavior. Still not convinced on a vote, but I've been paying attention.
You should have pointed it out. What was it?

Traveler is fitting Nacho's description of overapologetic and lurking, particularly here.
Traveler: list a couple people you think are scum. If you want, you can even list everyone in the game from scummiest to most town-looking.
pandabear wrote:Yeah maybe KoH does have an aggressive playstyle. Nacho seems just as aggressive at this point, but it seems like he's just interrogating everyone by way of voting them. Hmm well no has done the same to him so I'll be the one to initiate:
unvote. vote: Nachomamma8
You left off the most important part - the interrogation.

Noting GreyICE's reads for future consideration.
Just because a majority of a group of people decide it's okay doesn't mean it's not murder. - Cobblerfone
Herodotus
Herodotus
Black Ops
Herodotus
Black Ops
Black Ops

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:34 am

Post by Herodotus »

Page 5 and 6 make me think that Sn1 may be town.
If I'm right about Sn1 being town, then at least 1 scum is probably voting them. Panda is the most suspicious of the people voting Sn1, so I suspect Panda. GreyICE would be my second suspect from the Sn1 wagon.

@Traveller: No to the second paragraph of post 126. All members of the town should want everyone to know that they are town. Being killed by the mafia is a compliment; it means they are afraid that they can never lynch you, or you will lynch them.
Cops and docs have slightly less incentive to look protown, but they are much better off looking townish than looking scummy.
That said, we shouldn't be talking about power roles on day 1 unless someone claims to have one. (I'm looking at you, Grey and thil13.)

Here is my list of the players, from scummiest to towniest. This list will be very fluid.
Panda
Traveller
Thil13
bristep
GreyICE
Sn1pe
Nacho
Tarson

@Thil13:
What do you believe Nacho was trying to accomplish by moving his vote around so much at the beginning of the game?
Do you have any opinion on pandabear putting King at L-1 in post 68?
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:43 am

Post by GreyICE »

Herodotus wrote:Page 5 and 6 make me think that Sn1 may be town.
If I'm right about Sn1 being town, then at least 1 scum is probably voting them. Panda is the most suspicious of the people voting Sn1, so I suspect Panda. GreyICE would be my second suspect from the Sn1 wagon.

What about pages five and six gives you such a town feel off Sn1pe? I'm not happy about this post, Hero. #136 seems very town to me, and right after I made that point, Sn1pe makes a very similar post. After lurking for a nice long time. That doesn't feel very town to me.

I'm just not getting what gives you the town vibe, especially after you say pages 1-4 didn't read so well for him.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”