The StarCraft II thread

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #954 (isolation #0) » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:14 am

Post by Otolia »

AGar wrote:"Man, I suck and he's good. I'm gonna six pool."

Oh man, I'm bad .. I'm gonna bunker rush >> (Thorzain vs. Stephano)

Otherwise HSCIII is more than awesome but there is WAY TOO MUCH GERMANS. Goody should have his fat ass banned from all tournaments because he is boring too watch. Almost as boring as NaNiwa ...
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #958 (isolation #1) » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:56 am

Post by Otolia »

[M] placing 2 players in the top 6 and Adelscott in the top 20 of the HSCIII. \o/

@AGar : I fail to see where are the good players in those four ... (Vibe, DDE ?)

Starting a serious discussion : What do you think of the invasion of koreans in the western big events (like NASL Open) ? Is it good for the scene or will they deprive western players from valuable source of income ?
Keep in mind that only a few top NA/EU players are payed to train / make enough money of tournaments to make a living out of it.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #961 (isolation #2) » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:08 pm

Post by Otolia »

AGar wrote:1. You're wrong when you say that "only a few top NA/EU players are payed to train" Most top teams have the resources to pay their players decent salaries, and when the houses are formed, that alleviates some of the expenses.

:igmeou:

In France only MoMaN is paid to play starcraft 2 (and he is not the best player >>), insolence, Darkforce, Xlord aren't paid either. Grubby and ToD (former members of 4K) are still without teams and thus not paid. So far I know, EG fnatic, mouz, dignitas and TL (maybe coL now) have the resources to pay players on their roster a decent salary. Idra refused a scholarship to study physics to play starcraft ... he will probably regret it.

And houses are a korean concept, it's not really applicable outside, mostly because anyone with a ego would refuse to spend a miserable life playing 12 hours getting crushed by teammates until they can manage to qualify for a tournament ... that's also a reason why players like MC switched over to SC2.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #964 (isolation #3) » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:08 am

Post by Otolia »

Whatever because Stephano swept Huk in the groupstage. That kid made a splash :P though he should have destroyed Thorzain.

What I thought is that the setting up prohouses korean-style is very risky. Sure SC2 has a huge popularity but will it be enough to sustain many players in the long run ? In korea banks are sponsoring the GSL, most European team are sponsored by companies related to gaming and they are limited in budget.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #966 (isolation #4) » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:36 am

Post by Otolia »

Stephano choked against MC, not that I think he is a better player than a 3 times GSL champion but it was his first international lan, he is only 17 and still haven't graduated. You don't have to defend the result, HuK has a very strong PvP but I don't think he can go far in the Code S because of the HUGE amount of terrans (MKP, Polt, MVP, sC)

If Huk defeats Polt in the Code S, I will put him above Alicia on the world protoss ranking (MC > Alicia > Inca). In the mean time, he is still a PvP ace. I predict a win against Killer and aLive though.

ToD is a former 4K. Since you don't know him, he was in THE dream team at some point in the WC3 (id est 4Kings) so he is the sole french who speaks a very good english. Still don't have a team and it was take who paid his ticket to the HSC.

EDIT : He improved his game overnight :wink:
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1007 (isolation #5) » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:18 am

Post by Otolia »

Moratorium wrote:Gonna be the Zerg flavour of the month now that Destiny surprised Bomber with it.

It's a strat which was very common in EU in June, but it's insanely hard to use it if your opponent (T) is on par with you in term of expand (which is also the flavor now) so I don't know if it's advised in bronze league. Check replays from Nerchio, Dimaga, Morrow, Stephano and Lalush for the top EU zergs.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1013 (isolation #6) » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:38 am

Post by Otolia »

xRECKONERx wrote:I'm down for practicing.

Also, anyone have any recommendations for a good priced gaming mouse/gaming keyboard? My mouse works for the time being, but my keyboard is absolutely horrendous.

It totally depends on how you play. But the cheapest are KSK-6001 UELX (quite silent) and the Saitek V5 (more durable). Are you a keyboard crusher ? Do you love playing in silence ? Mechanical or not ? - those are the kind of questions you want to answer beforehand.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1053 (isolation #7) » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:47 am

Post by Otolia »

Iecerint wrote:Yay I got the Lost Viking achievement. ^^~

Simple pleasures.

How many hours did you spend bored spamming this space key ?
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1073 (isolation #8) » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:54 am

Post by Otolia »

I cheesed for my 100th win since Shattered Temple PvZ on close position is impossible to win for a protoss. The guy was a little bit mad though I did screw up he destroyed my probe twice. Poor guy. I should get out of bronze league on the 20th after that I'll play random.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1075 (isolation #9) » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:27 am

Post by Otolia »

TheButtonmen wrote:
I cheesed for my 100th win since Shattered Temple PvZ on close position is impossible to win for a protoss.

You uh got that backwards, close postitions anything is zergs worst nightmear.

Except I was going for a forge expand and there is no ramp in Shattered Temple. I would have lost against any kind of early pressure, and I'm not even talking about early pool :?
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1077 (isolation #10) » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:39 pm

Post by Otolia »

Except I play to improve not to win. Being able to pull off a good forge FE or a 3 Gate Expand for PvZ on any map is something I need to be able to do.

Started my Zerg run, oh god, I love them, but I suck horribly. I never know when to drone up and when to produce unit. ><
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1084 (isolation #11) » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:03 pm

Post by Otolia »

AGar wrote:
Otolia wrote:Except I was going for a forge expand and there is no ramp in Shattered Temple. I would have lost against any kind of early pressure, and I'm not even talking about early pool :?

Otolia wrote:Being able to pull off a good forge FE or a 3 Gate Expand for PvZ on any map is something I need to be able to do.

If you're playing to improve, you will also realize when a build just isn't going to work on a map, and putting yourself in a position to lose to
any
early pressure is generally not a good idea to do. I get you're trying to improve your mechanics yadda yadda, but yeah. Not a good idea.

What's wrong with testing ? But yeah I agree. :cool:
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1086 (isolation #12) » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:19 am

Post by Otolia »

xRECKONERx wrote:Image

19 min in, the zerg is on 3 base while the protoss never expanded ...

At 10 add 3 more bases : the gold for the minerals and the rest for gas. Throw down a spire. Tech to hive. Make a bunch of Brood Lord. Type /dance before killing his nexus.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1103 (isolation #13) » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:47 am

Post by Otolia »

I'd say for low level player, Protoss is the easiest race. Deathball is too strong if you don't prevent it. I have huge problems against Protoss as zerg. I am always failing against either timing push (which aren't really timed in my level >>) or death ball. I need to scout moar.

PS : Mass banshee is so funny.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1111 (isolation #14) » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:06 pm

Post by Otolia »

I just do a 7RR every time I have a protoss against me. I tech to lair at 32, expand at 34 and tech town hydra asap throwing down double evo and try to crush him with +1/+1.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1115 (isolation #15) » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:07 am

Post by Otolia »

The main weakness of the zerg is decision based. This is why unless you 6-10pool every game you are gonna lose a lot as zerg if you don't know when to expand, when to drone and when to produce units. And that's why at low level it's more difficult to play zerg. I rolled over opponents with a protoss deathball 66% of the time. My win ratio as zerg is only 49%, due to an abyssal 35% win in ZvP
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1130 (isolation #16) » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:45 am

Post by Otolia »

I lose because my mechanics are lacking not because of the 7RR. It's is not the most economically oriented build (it's 15 hatch) but it allows a quick counter to cheese (which is important in bronze) and a possibility of pressure while staying quite good because of the very early queen. After that, the protoss have to drive me away by teching immortal (huge eco cost) which delay the colossus which is my goal because I am fast-teching hydra (during the attack ~6min)

My replays show that even though I'm ahead, I don't take a 3rd nor do I have army advantage. I have to work on my scouting and my map control which are both bad. That's why I lose, protoss units are too cost efficient compare to zerg ones and I have trouble making the good decision. But it's improving :) And it has nothing to do with my initial build since I lose my games in a single attack around 20 min.

Cheesing can be good but most of the time, people will just wall their base in time or just make a rush build so you are screwed.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1132 (isolation #17) » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:23 pm

Post by Otolia »

And lose anyway because he can a-click ... I expand/tech around the time of my push so it's earlier than any opponents except DT or Banshee rush. It's not my strategy that is bad, it's my mechanics. You can go to diamond (at least) just with mechanics. I don't take my 3rd early enough, I have a poor creep management, I have an below average larva management. I either lose against one base all-in (I don't scout the attack or have spines) or in two bases (I don't expand to my 3rd early enough) After that I usually rage a lot because I feel like I play better overall in the first 12 minutes (faster expand and tech) but I get sloppy afterwards. I insulted many mothers today >>

I can demolish pretty much anyone in bronze and silver with terran or protoss by a-click to death but I can't do that with zergs because my zerg mechanics are bad. I know my weaknesses and I am working on it. I appreciate your advices (most are aweome) but zerg are a reactive race and I am not reactive at all. I don't scout and I have poor map control, these are the main reasons for my loss. Sure I could scrap a win or two by having another strategy but in the long run it's not gonna make a difference. Losing brings me more insights about my own attack timing and forces me to work on it. If I wanted easy games, I would switched back to Protoss which is my favorite race.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1134 (isolation #18) » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:15 pm

Post by Otolia »

It's what I was doing before, but I feel like the micro needed for pressure with lings is too high for now and it keeps making me forgetting larva injection and stuff like that. Maybe I should give it another try to see what I can do.

Though in ZvZ my 7RR is almost always game-winning. If I don't win at 8 min, I win as soon as I have 10 hydras. \o/
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1137 (isolation #19) » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:13 pm

Post by Otolia »

Iecerint wrote:It could just be that he wants to lose strategically so that he can stay in Bronze and achieve the fastest possible wins/time ratio because he wants the Dark Voice avatar.

No, I'm not like that. It's just Protoss == Forcefields. A force field in the ramp = 6 lings trapped or 1 roach trapped. Which one is better ? That's why I am doing a 7RR rather than speedling. I can tech and expand during the first zealot kill :P
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1143 (isolation #20) » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:04 am

Post by Otolia »

I saw the ZvP from Sheth yesterday and he can break through with speedlings when there is on sentry and one zealot. But I am afraid I'm not as ballsy as he is droning up like a madman >>
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1149 (isolation #21) » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:50 am

Post by Otolia »

Playing BW is like blowing his own mind with a gun. So so so painful.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1161 (isolation #22) » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:32 am

Post by Otolia »

In Left 2 Die, you had to build reapers. That way you can crush buildings during the day. After that firebat medic are the best combat and missile turret as anti air
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1174 (isolation #23) » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:59 am

Post by Otolia »

Metalopolis has a serious balance problem (close position), plus it's one of the oldest map and honestly not the most fun to play at all.

Slag Pits, Scrap Station and Delta Quadrant had to be removed. They are all utterly stupid.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1195 (isolation #24) » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:28 am

Post by Otolia »

Ellibereth wrote:Machine.
PRACTICE MACHINE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpM0wPKBOro

I don't get how Machine couldn't know that Carmac speaks a excellent english. This guy has a pretty important position in the ESL :igmeou: It's a requirement for his job.
Or it's just a setup and that's not funny :shifty:
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1208 (isolation #25) » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:40 am

Post by Otolia »

AGar wrote:
Otolia wrote:
Ellibereth wrote:Machine.
PRACTICE MACHINE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpM0wPKBOro

I don't get how Machine couldn't know that Carmac speaks a excellent english. This guy has a pretty important position in the ESL :igmeou: It's a requirement for his job.
Or it's just a setup and that's not funny :shifty:

Carmac's baby is IEM. Machine didn't make the cut for IEM last year. Not surprising at all.

It's like he don't pay attention to the EU scene. I shouldn't be surprised though ...

Great MLG so far though the Open Bracket is a little bit stupid ><
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1223 (isolation #26) » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:23 am

Post by Otolia »

Gammagooey wrote:Edit: PROFESSIONAL hiding-command-centers-in-the-corner-of-the-map

Never heard of draws ?
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1225 (isolation #27) » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:00 am

Post by Otolia »

With the accentuation of professional ? Sounds like a rage for me ...

EDIT : Plus this guy is one of the most respected player of all time so it's really uncalled for.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1233 (isolation #28) » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:18 am

Post by Otolia »

The Code A spot will probably be given to Ret, Sjow, Slush and Kiwikaki (Idra and Sheth will refuse) and Naniwa and Huk already have code A/S.

Otherwise it's still the same problem. The bracket system is very rewarding for players who are getting spanked in pools ... So retarded ><
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1238 (isolation #29) » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:18 am

Post by Otolia »

I mean that 4 seeded players per pool is too high. 3 should be enough and limits the pain of seeing drewbie getting spanked like a baby >< Then you can have 2 players coming directly from the Open Bracket / Loosers bracket which is far more rewarding.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1350 (isolation #30) » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:44 am

Post by Otolia »

This comment was cute.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1368 (isolation #31) » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:08 pm

Post by Otolia »

In post 1367, Ellibereth wrote:got platinumPsyduck#915

Getting directly in plat is rare those days as a beginner is rare these days. Congratulations.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1379 (isolation #32) » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:54 am

Post by Otolia »

It's on NA unfortunately.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1407 (isolation #33) » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:09 am

Post by Otolia »

In post 1406, TheButtonmen wrote:Thank TL.

That's what I wanted to say. It's a featured news in TL.

Otherwise Terran OP -> I hope zergs get a T2 siege unit (lurker) and a anti-caster with something like energy leech :twisted: :twisted: in HotS
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1409 (isolation #34) » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:17 am

Post by Otolia »

If you don't mind trading your scan for lurkers, I'll plant one in your mineral line every game. I don't think it will be the lurker or a siege unit though, another caster is more likely.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1455 (isolation #35) » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:24 pm

Post by Otolia »

On a more happy note, M|Stephano is the first foreigner to qualify for the IPL3 beating aTnSocke, TSL_Revival, SlayerSPuzzle and RGN|Kiwikaki in the process. This kid is GOOD.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1462 (isolation #36) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:06 am

Post by Otolia »

Thorzain was so close to win. There was so much marines lost during the 5 games ><.

At least, it shows that the gap between Korea and Europe is not that wide.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1465 (isolation #37) » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:04 pm

Post by Otolia »

In post 1463, AGar wrote:No, it is. Thorzain has been living in Korea for a month or so now.

It certainly upped his level, but he wasn't a part of the system, he used it and that's the way to go, it isn't BW anymore.

On another level, Complexity Gaming are fucking assholes, picking up Stephano overnight without letting his team do the news first was VERY rude. How is that hard to understand for Americans.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1467 (isolation #38) » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:59 pm

Post by Otolia »

Thanks for proving my point Kinetic. Respect is something related to culture. And there are differences between the French and the Americans. Respect means maybe nothing to you and that's your call but it doesn't mean it is invalid for everyone. Money rules in the US, traditions rule in France. It is time to widen your horizon.

And I am impressed you even know Millenium ... But you are wrong about the international events, it is a matter of cost-efficiency (MLG being the utter fooltrap it is) not interest.

Oh and Xeris was just defending the point I made, which I am surprised you didn't see (since you obviously read TL), it has nothing to do with drama. It is just correctly expressed criticism (at least it was in TL, I just rage here :P )

EDIT : And yes, I rage here because I don't want to get banned on TL [redacted]
EDIT 2 : I'll make an update post after I get the news from [M]
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1469 (isolation #39) » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:49 pm

Post by Otolia »

In post 1468, DeathRowKitty wrote:Otolia, do you conduct all of your conversations with this ridiculous level of self-importance or do you only use it when talking to Kinetic? Just wondering.

• No, but I do when I rage.
  • I am self-important, it is an issue. Being arrogant is certainly not something to be proud of but that's who I am and I have to live with it.
  • When you tell someone to 'grow up', you can't expect to be treated nicely afterwards. It is intended to be humiliating.
  • Kinetic knows only the english side of the story which makes him not understand why it is making me angry and I can't really blame him for that.
  • Though badly expressed, my point stills stands, whether or not you find complexity's move douchey from where you stand from where I stand it is and my opinion is no less valuable than Kinetic's one.
  • You reacted on me being an douche with Kinetic while you don't react to coL being asses with the french community (news published during the night so it forced the [M] team to copy the coL statement in their own news. That's really humiliating) Is it fair for you ?
  • People don't stir up drama because they need to grow up but because they have to face a situation where they were not treated nicely and they can't do anything about it. Cynicism, sarcasm and insults are the weapons of those who haven't anything else.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1471 (isolation #40) » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:21 pm

Post by Otolia »

Nah, the Americans thing is a trope I used whenever I wanna pissed someone's off in MS. Pretty efficient I should say though it makes me look like a douche, which is fair I guess. I was 'just' raging.

I can tell you Mill isn't happy about how it turned out. Stephano was supposed to leave the team today - after his TV show - and join coL whenever he wanted afterwards. He only blossomed during the Summer; that's 4 months. I knew this kid when he played WC3 and we, his fans for more than 3 months, felt like he deserved to go honorably not having to comply to a new regimen even before he could say himself to his fans that he was leaving. coL forced his and Mill's hands by announcing it just after the deal was sealed, it was a commercial move because he is more famous than all of their players except the MVP one's. Whereas it was known for a long time, I don't know; LwL (the manager) probably knew for a long time but I'm not informed of that kind of thing inside.

Aside from the form, it's a dumb move because Millenium was racking up money to send him abroad and he put them in a difficult spot. He was too greedy otherwise he would have been a member of mouz who recruited biGs instead of him. And since the team leagues are overall very poorly organized - EGCL V was a total mess, with admin not showing up on time and not distributing penalties when due - it isn't worth it to keep a player like him when he wants too much money - which is what he wants.

PS : There are still a lot of differences about how money and companies relations are handled in France and the US. Even in science this kind of thing happen and god knows most scientist only cares about their work. Some just only care about the money however ...
PS 2 : I speak German too :p
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1475 (isolation #41) » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:28 am

Post by Otolia »

In post 1472, xRECKONERx wrote:Otolia is quite the
redacted, don't want to get banned

Nah, just I disclosed things I shouldn't have.

AGar wrote:Otolia, you have no clue about anything when it comes to how this industry works. Just saying.

Maybe, but from where I stand it doesn't please me. And I have the rights to be vocal about it. It is also a reason I choose a pure science university instead of an engineering school. On a side note, the relation to money in France is as bad (maybe even worse) as the relation to sex in the US.

Kinetic wrote:First, while mouz is a fine team, and I remember them from the WC3 days, CoL is a major market international team. Some people don't feel the CoL/MVP deal is a big deal, but it is. Not to mention CoL is in more games than just SC2 and that brings stability. mouz just doesn't have that.

mouz have players in CS, CSS, PES, Fifa, SC2 and one irrelevant game (lol) and better SC2 players
coL have HoN, LoL (no comment), SC2, Halo ( :igmeou: ) and two irrelevant game.

What coL brings is money and exposure on the NA scene, a scene that has been only this year picking up with PC eSports. NA fans are kinda ignorant about EU up and coming players (like biGs, sYz, Kalin etc) coL/MVP is indeed a huge step in the right direction for coL as was the pickup of Stephano but mouz still has more recognition on the EU scene and let's be honest, the NA scene is quite apathetic and don't produce good players (coL academy is great though)

Now I won't say I'm unhappy about this move. I just wished it would have been done differently considering [M] needs more International exposure right now, but that's their fault. And no they haven't stated anything about wanting to focus on France. That's a misunderstanding due to the absence of a dedicated english website. Something I am working on at that moment.

For the lulz

PS : Your name rings a bell but I abandonned the WC3 scene 4 years ago so I won't pretend I know you for sure.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1478 (isolation #42) » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:02 am

Post by Otolia »

AGar wrote:The fact of the matter is, coL provides better support globally as opposed to [M] and by waiting for an announcement to be prepared by [M] (who is likely to be apathetic themselves in regards to the situation since they are losing a player), they simply force themselves to delay getting the most out of their player.

A LoL news writer was forced to write a post a 4h58 in the morning. That's not correct. They didn't have the opportunity to do so and that's bad manners.

In post 1477, TheButtonmen wrote:Not really sure where the drama is.
There is no drama, I was just pissed at the way coL handled the situation.

A) Stephano was unsigned.
He didn't have a proper contract because he was barely 18, and it is difficult to sign someone with our laws, but was sustained by [M] and another 'contract' was in talks.

B) Stephano wanted to switch teams.
No, that's the thing. In a [urlhttp://www.esportsfrance.com/actualites/26151/ ... objectifs-]recent interview[/url], he said that he viewed his year with [M]

C) Millenniums team structure isn't very good and they aren't retaining any of their talent.
Huk was invited in Korea and [M] couldn't afford to send him there. ToD wanted to stay in Korea and not play EU tournaments anymore. There are power struggle crippling Millenium's right now but more financial back-up was found

D) Millennium doesn't support its players or send them anywhere non-local / Complexity has a looong and impressive history in e-sports of backing its players.
Do you know the team ? [M] is sending his LoL team in Korea ....

E) Stephano already knows / practices with Col members (the former Root crew).
I'm not really sure, he played with Catz, but Catz plays with almost everyone, the latter certainly recommended him to his staff.

F) Col has Korean ties and access to not just practise partners but also a teamhouse which are vital if Stephano wants to become top tier.
He said, he doesn't want to play the GSL just train in Korea.

There is a lot of misunderstanding here. Or fallacies being spread, I don't know. One thing is sure, the offer of coL was huge (probably enough for him to live and send his money back to his parents) and Stephano wasn't really integrated in Millenium's team.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1479 (isolation #43) » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:38 am

Post by Otolia »

The last word of this story is Stephano stays on Millenium.

That's why you don't force people's hands.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1481 (isolation #44) » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:22 am

Post by Otolia »

The press release was in french, I did some part of the translation. It sounds very anti-americanistic (and it is) but it was intended to french fans and it plays on that. Not to be translated. I am as disgusted by the way Millenium handled the shit though. I am so pissed right now too. It will take months for M to get back into TL and be accepted. I wanted to nail a job with them to promote them with the english community. Now it's gonna be impossible ... Dumbasses ><

Concerning your two comments, it makes sense because they want to keep the huge roots in France with their webtv which is starting to kick in and send people to compete abroad. And if you never went to France you can't understand the enormous undermining complex that cripples people here. That's not a prejudice.

On the other hand, coL is threatening people and that isn't the right way to do things either.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1484 (isolation #45) » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:37 am

Post by Otolia »

In post 1483, Knight of Cydonia wrote:
I wanted to nail a job with them to promote them with the english community.

Thanks for revealing the conflict of interest that only confirms the idiocy of your posting on this subject.

At first I was just venting about the way coL did their press release. It got way worse as the day went by and I'm not responsible for that. But yeah, they were a conflict of interest, however you should pay attention to what you say. I'm not lying to anyone, I just expressed my point of view which was obviously biased but you didn't need to read that statement to know that.

They're saying (quite rightly) "Hey! We had a contract... That isn't going away and we're going to see what we can do about that." This isn't about hurt feelings anymore. Once a contract is involved its a legal dispute. Threatening legal action is not a "threat", its more akin to exercising a right.

Also - this.

I have heard with the manager of Millenium, the contract wasn't legally 'binding' AT ALL. There were a number of loopholes and it wasn't a working contract. It was almost illegal work. Also Stephano wasn't augmented by staying with Millenium but he would have been if he was going to coL. coL never contacted directly Millenium
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1486 (isolation #46) » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:18 am

Post by Otolia »

Then we will just agree to disagree. I trust LwL you trust coL. So be it. I don't think I am able to think straight now (I don't even think I did today ><) I won't comment on this anymore and should be spit upon if I do (won't change much :p)

augmented == paid more. Meaning he isn't staying for the money from his contract but for the benefits he will get with a formal french contract (including social protection and retirement pension)

On a more light-hearted note (because this is getting really depressing), I am psyched by the upcoming events : IPL, MLG Orlando, ESWC (I am going there !!!!!!), Blizzcon, IEM Gangzhou and NY. October is gonna be SO good.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1494 (isolation #47) » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:00 pm

Post by Otolia »

With knowing more about it, Stephano is entirely responsible for the situation, he kinda screwed up his negotiation by omitting details that were crucial. Both col and [M] PR were oriented to defend their interests in front of their public. [M] will pay a fine to coL and Stephano will stay on [M]. I supposed the fine is 10% of the salary for one year at most and 100$ at lowest.

Alex Garfield has played a HUGE role in this solving. And he should be praised for that. We all learned that kids make stupid mistakes when one show them money. And that doesn't mean our eSports is not serious because that happens in every sport. Also contract breaking happened some years ago in NHL with players going to Russia without any kind of monetary compensation.

Source : col PR
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1498 (isolation #48) » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:11 pm

Post by Otolia »

Congratulations on your first step towards a happier life.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1505 (isolation #49) » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:56 am

Post by Otolia »

IPL has begun. I thought Stephano would choke but he beat HuK 2-0, and is now playing aLive.

Edit : Well, we now have the confirmation that marines are good against mass lings. I never thought Stephano would try this ladder strategy on aLive he lost to during the#2 qualifier.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1510 (isolation #50) » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:38 am

Post by Otolia »

In post 1507, hasdgfas wrote:What I have figured out since buying SCII. Custom maps > normal multiplayer

Ladder fear ?

Custom maps are fun but there are no SC2. Of course Blizzard ladder maps are flawed but that was the case with SC too. After a few year, the korean maps overtook everything. So far The Planetary Workshop and ESV.tv are creating very interesting and balanced maps (I'm not counting the Koreans of Prime). I think Blizzard will incorporate more community maps in Season 4. At least I hope so.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1512 (isolation #51) » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:05 am

Post by Otolia »

In post 1511, AGar wrote:Honestly, I could see a few players bombing/fucking around on the pool stages to avoid stronger players in the actual elimination bracket. It's something well known as a Korean tactic in WCG to play either foolish strategies or all-in repeatedly to avoid playing fellow Koreans earlier than the quarterfinals and/or semifinals of the bracket.

Yeah that's plausible, particularly since Stephano already did it in Assembly Summer to avoid Sen and failed to lose against Brat_OK. He ultimately won against Sen but it could well be that he was chilling.

I loved what MC did. It was something innovative and way stronger than it former kind of cheesy style.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1520 (isolation #52) » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:19 am

Post by Otolia »

In post 1514, Kinetic wrote:
In post 1510, Otolia wrote:I think Blizzard will incorporate more community maps in Season 4. At least I hope so.

O, that's cute. :)

I am a helpless dreamer. I have
the
faith.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1521 (isolation #53) » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:26 am

Post by Otolia »

Otherwise Stephano last foreigner in the IPL3. \o/
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1540 (isolation #54) » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:23 am

Post by Otolia »

Just dropping that for AGar : Stephano has done more in two weeks than Idra in his whole carrier on SC2. You were one of those who thought he was better off by switching to coL, well it's time to regret your mistake.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1545 (isolation #55) » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:26 am

Post by Otolia »

In post 1542, TheButtonmen wrote:Stephano doing more then Idra?

I mean he's had a nice entrance to the scene but lets not go to far, Idra has a long term proven record. If Step can stick around and keep placing well at major tournaments then sure he'll be on Idras level but to surpass Idras record you need to be one of the best for an extended period of time.

He won 2 tournaments with Koreans in it, Idra only won one (IEM Guangzhou), now I am not saying he is better or anything like that.
I was taunting AGar but he ignored me
:cry:
Last edited by Otolia on Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1546 (isolation #56) » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:49 am

Post by Otolia »

Rejoice people, the map changes for the season 4 are GREAT :
  • Close terrestrial position have been removed on Shattered Temple and Metalopolis.
  • Searing Crater, Backwater Gulch and Typhoon Peaks are removed.

In post 1541, AGar wrote:Congratulations, money that just directly exits the scene. Worst thing that happens to esports right there.

What do you mean by money existing the scene ? When someone won a tournament, he doesn't poured it back into his team or the scene, he keeps it. I guess you blame Stephano because he doesn't want to make a job out of a game. But that's his decision, maybe he wants to do something else in his life, you have no right to spit on him just because he refused to take a job you would dream to do. Or is it because you wish he was on a NA team ?

Idra refused to take on a scholarship in physics to play SC:BW and for me that's a insult to every students in physics forced to work part time because they don't have enough money to live. But I don't hate him as a player.

Now you can hate his behavior and general cockiness but that's not related to his choice of team, which was definitely the right one for him.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1550 (isolation #57) » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:30 am

Post by Otolia »

In post 1548, Kinetic wrote:Idra declined a physics scholarship... and you think that's an insult? That is a horrible way to look at it. He pursued his dream instead of something he wanted to do as a back up and as a result, someone who wanted a scholarship but wouldn't have gotten one instead got a scholarship in physics. They don't just disappear you know...

From my point of view : Physics >> Everything else. That's a completely personal appreciation and is more based on feelings than real arguments.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1552 (isolation #58) » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:02 am

Post by Otolia »

Hint : I have monies problem :(
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1556 (isolation #59) » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:31 am

Post by Otolia »

You have to admit that it's a little bit annoying to see that someone who could be sustained to study for a real job choose an entertainment career instead. Most of my class lives with less than 700 euros pro month, which may seem like a lot but when transportation and lodging alone cost between 500 and 600 euros. I have monies problem but I can make it through while working part time, these guys are literally starving. I don't really condone what he did but maybe it's just me.

I'm sorry to hear that AGar, are you in a private university ?
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1558 (isolation #60) » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:38 pm

Post by Otolia »

In post 1557, Kinetic wrote:Frankly, that argument can be used on so many people it isn't funny. And why does your definition of a "real job" matter? Frankly the whole argument smells of envy.

My definition matters to me because it's mine. I don't force you to have the same opinion as me. And I certainly don't envy someone who rages when he is working/training. That's not what I consider to be an adequate carreer choice. I wouldn't want that for me.

Again :
Otolia wrote:From my point of view : Physics >> Everything else.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1575 (isolation #61) » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:42 pm

Post by Otolia »

That was Polt.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1580 (isolation #62) » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:50 am

Post by Otolia »

Don't critizice Polt, he is studying at a very good university while being a pro player. He might not be the best terran out there but he certainly has a very good level.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1587 (isolation #63) » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:18 am

Post by Otolia »

In post 1585, redFF wrote:Yeah fOrGG crushed Sage. It's pretty scary because I considered Sage to be one of the best players mechanically. The good bw pros are going to crush everyone :/

How is forGG any different from one of the many goods terrans out there ? The matchup is still favouring Terran despite Creator's double forge build.

The good BW pros are going to be just that, good. Nothing out of the ordinary. Only the best BW players will actually be dominant enough to win tournaments on a regular basis.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1589 (isolation #64) » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:37 pm

Post by Otolia »

forGG had an impressive win and so did Curious last Code A and he didn't pass the Ro32 in Code S in November. He even had a hard time against TheStC in Code A. I praise your divinatory abilities AGar but I think you will be proven wrong.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1596 (isolation #65) » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:05 am

Post by Otolia »

In post 1595, Gammagooey wrote:Get a few maruaders. Stimmed marauders can kill ultras retarded fast given how much easier they are to get.

Ghosts are also good but maruaders will make the zerg call terran op before leaving.

Late game terran is OP. As is Pure Mech vs Zerg.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1603 (isolation #66) » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:39 am

Post by Otolia »

In post 1602, AGar wrote:Also, Fantasy sucks.

But he will probably be among the few BW pros that will be dominant.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1610 (isolation #67) » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:13 pm

Post by Otolia »

Oh I didn't have my share of french bashing already ...
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1614 (isolation #68) » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:34 am

Post by Otolia »

It was replay casted so don't give me the bullshit of letting down the casters since that was their fault. If HD and CatsPajamas were surprise that's their responsibility.

You have no right to speak for SlayerS, they probably apologize to them. Even if not, you shouldn't speak for them.

So you are left with 'QQ they didn't field their new player who has been on the team for less than 2 weeks'. You don't know the reason. Maybe that kid (it's a 18 year old) had to go to school tomorrow, maybe his parents send him to bed because it was way past midnight. What kind of person you are if you can't accept that a team that couldn't play withdraw ? One of their player was asleep (Feast) and they couldn't post-pone so they withdrew. Nothing wrong in that.

Was the situation a problem for the show ? Yes. Is it a reason to start insulting people and question their professionalism when eSports is clearly not completely professional ? Hell no.

As for their track record, I won't come back to the previous discussions since you have obviously a way to consider business that is far from what I consider correct. Their flaming response to coL was certainly totally uncalled for and I am sure they regret it. coL did some mistakes too.

PS : The french bashing wasn't really a comment on yours. More a feeling of disgust after reading the the TL report.
PS 2 : If the Millenium team was that irresponsible and unprofessional they wouldn't have held 4 invitational monthly cup with top EU each time. That should be a mark of respect from the player itself that everyone should understand.
PS 3 : And yes that's a soft spot of mine because they are doing a lot of thing you can't see for the development of eSports in France that you never heard of. And that is eclipsing all the small accident that happens around.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1619 (isolation #69) » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:37 pm

Post by Otolia »

Arguing with you is like hitting your head on a wall made of arrogance.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1626 (isolation #70) » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:54 pm

Post by Otolia »

I don't agree with the unprofessional aspect of things, that's a given. I don't want you to agree with me. But even if you disagree with me, I will never such treatment for the things I love.

Instead of saying : Hey those Millenium guys are not getting professional nearly as fast as they should (which is true to some extent and I value this slow and measured pace) and that's something they have to fix to gain more credibility, you are throwing stones. Instead of saying : Players should have been there to play, that kind of behavior isn't something I am expecting from people that consider themselves pro-gamers or think of being (only Stephano is on Millenium), you target an organisation as a whole. To some extent that's their fault too but Millenium is a semi-professional team not a completely professional one.

As much as I love the StarCraft II community, we spend more time destroy each other instead of helping each other and growing together.

PS : Oh and Nuwem, if you have a problem with me, you can send me a PM. Other than that, I consider I deserve respect as much as anyone here.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1628 (isolation #71) » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:22 pm

Post by Otolia »

In post 1627, DeathRowKitty wrote:
Otolia wrote:Instead of saying : Hey those Millenium guys are not getting professional nearly as fast as they should (which is true to some extent and I value this slow and measured pace) and that's something they have to fix to gain more credibility, you are
throwing stones
being realistic and not letting national pride get in the way of your opinions like I am. The fact that you are not taking this situation personally and are instead being rational about it is disrespectful to Milennium.
Summarized?

I don't know what you mean exactly. But I can try.

I understand your position on professionalism, I don't agree with it. Millenium should have played this game and not forfeited, they couldn't. I don't think it's unprofessional because StarCraft itself isn't there yet (that's my own conviction) and I wished criticism would have been expressed more precisely (player vs. team) and in a more positive way. And finally I hope you can understand my motives (emotional ties that are dating from before SC2 itself) and my reasons (cf. above)

Return to “The Arcade”