The MafiaScum Minecraft Thread - Summer 2024 NEW SERVER!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

Event & Minigame RSVP ~ Week of 27/5 - 03/6:

Inaugural SPLEEF Tourney - (Share your date/time preference!)
50%
Other Games, Speedrun Maps, IDK?! - (Share in comments!)
50%

Total votes: 2

Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #8825 (ISO) » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:57 pm

Post by Klazam »

So when will the switchover happen?
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8826 (ISO) » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:41 pm

Post by izakthegoomba »

~DRAMA~
(Mostly) on hiatus until further notice. Planet MafiaScum 2 will be modded by Inspi and JDGA - go check it out!
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8827 (ISO) » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:25 pm

Post by izakthegoomba »

So Daddycheese suspended my server literally
eleven minutes
after they sent the invoice overdue notification.

Fuck them, I should have switched a long time ago anyway.
(Mostly) on hiatus until further notice. Planet MafiaScum 2 will be modded by Inspi and JDGA - go check it out!
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8828 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:28 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 8821, Maruchan wrote:Heads up guys, we'll likely be switching over to a Dedi Server soon, for roughly the same price i can get shittons more and not rely on third-party hosts liek BoN/DaddyCheese/etc

What does this mean exactly? I thought what we had was a dedicated server? Who's going to be hosting the server now?
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8829 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:41 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

I think BoN/Daddycheese don't actually own the servers, they're just hiring the use of them. I could be wrong though.
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #8830 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:36 am

Post by Maruchan »

Rhinox nobody will be hosting the server, i myself will purchase the Lease of a server in a warehouse full of servers and host it myself on said server.

@izak, as far as BoN goes, you are correct, they own the lease on them but not the actual server, these days thats how 99% of the industry works, the third-party people we use "people we rent the server space from" own a lease from a 1st party hardware datacenter supplier, as it is much better speeds and much more cost effective that way.

Daddycheese i assume is the same but i could be wrong

@Rhinox, what we had was a Minecraft Server on a Shared Environment. meaning there was some monster of a computer, running on linux, somewhere in a warehosue full of them with superfast speeds, that had like 100 minecraft servers thrown on it each alloted a specific amount of RAM and CPU time. All we could do with said ram and CPU usage was run a minecraft server in the "shell" they created for us.

What I plan on switching to is we actually "own" (lease) that beast of a computer (although its actually a shitty computer with the price we're paying just with a beast of an internet hookup) and everything on it, so say we can run a website, host a voice server, set up multiple miencraft servers toss in some TF2 Garry's Mod, Battlefield, CoD Terraria, whatever and do it all. Much more freedom of use, and open-endedness, much less tech-support for if any of the individual programs (such as miencraft) fucks up
which has always been my turning away point, but corin offered to be my techman so (Y)
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8831 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:48 am

Post by Rhinox »

I understand, kinda. Well, I understand, just not what the difference is. All that matters is you're not telling me you're setting up the server on a spare PC in your basement or something :P
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8832 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:57 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

In post 8831, Rhinox wrote:I understand, kinda. Well, I understand, just not what the difference is. All that matters is you're not telling me you're setting up the server on a spare PC in your basement or something :P

Basically we're restricted by the power of the machine and the speed of the connection rather than rules and limitations put in place by a hosting company.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #8833 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:13 am

Post by Maestro »

Idea. Rhinox might be interested to read this. Would it be too time consuming/anticommunity to use the current world files to set up a second "clone" server that would be strictly Vanilla Minecraft? No warps, no tp's, just the world as it is right now...? I'm just thinking about who would play on that vs. the one we have now, and it's worrisome to think that we'd then pretty much be splitting the community, but I just thought it would be a good idea to ask about input.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8834 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:16 am

Post by Maestro »

Also, if this does happen, I'd vote yes for some TF2 just so long as people know I suck at it.
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8835 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:39 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

I think splitting the community in half like that would be an incredibly bad idea.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8836 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:51 am

Post by Rhinox »

@izak: cool I guess, if it lets us do cool things like set up our own persistent voice server. Any ETA on when this will be happening?

In the meantime I'm getting back to minecraft by creating my first real single player world. Usually I just get on single player to mess around and try things, but I really like the island spawn seed, and I'm going to try to do something cool with it. Maybe turn the whole island into a themed NPC city.

@maestro: I'm not really for that. IF there were 2 servers, I'd rather the second server start fresh, and the current server be the more vanilla of the 2 since thats the spirit in which the server was created. Then people might actually play on both from time to time (I know I probably would), rather than just choose one of the 2 parallel words - there'd be no reason to play on both since they'd be otherwise identical.

But like izak I don't really want to split the community, just to be able to play how I want to play. The whole fun of playing for me is the collaboration and seeing what others create and showing off what I create. If I was only interested in playing exactly how I want to play, I'd just play SSP, but I find SSP pretty boring most of the time. If the majority wants teleporting then so be it, I was just under the impression that the majority wanted a near vanilla mafiascum server. Thats what the server was created as and has always been. Hell this thread is almost 2 years old, and I know there was at least one other thread before this.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8837 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:04 am

Post by Maestro »

Understood guys, I myself had qualms with that idea, I just saw it as a possible solution.

But maybe we could have a second server that starts fresh...? People could play on either one however they wish. That sounds like a fantastic idea.
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8838 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:11 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

It's still splitting the community. Here's an idea: if you don't like the Bukkit commands,
don't use them
. Hell, we could even make you a special group that has no command access if you really want.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8839 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:14 am

Post by Klazam »

In post 8838, izakthegoomba wrote:It's still splitting the community. Here's an idea: if you don't like the Bukkit commands,
don't use them
. Hell, we could even make you a special group that has no command access if you really want.

That works
Hiraki
Hiraki
Survivor
Hiraki
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8840 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:15 am

Post by Hiraki »

That won't work because people who don't want the commands wants it to happen to everyone. Schelling, equal playing field, etc.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8841 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:31 am

Post by Maestro »

@Hiraki: I'm pretty sure that's not what Rhinox said at all. He specifically said he wants to play how he wants to play, but doesn't mind if others play how they want to play.

@izak: I really don't see it as splitting the community, I see it as reopening the community. A fresh server might invite some of the more Vanilla-esque players back out of the woodwork, and personally I know I would play on both servers with no problem. If others do or don't want to, I would have no problem with it, but I just see it as an extra option rather then a schism.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8842 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:34 am

Post by Rhinox »

No maestro thats actually not what I said at all. I said that if I only cared about playing how I want to play, I could just play single player. I want to play on the server, but I want the server to be a place I want to play in and be a part of, and not just disappear to some corner to play by my own rules.

@izak: its not that simple. I can choose not to warp or teleport all I want, but thats not going to make anyone else on the server want to spend any effort on transportation infrastructure on the server like roads and rails. I can't go to a cool building like claus' transit authority building and hop on a rail to anyones place. That will never happen on the server as long as there are warps and teleporting, just as an example.

It used to be that if you wanted whatever you were building to be accessible to everyone on the server, it was just part of the build to connect to civilation in someway, via overworld roads and rails, or nether roads and rails, and there were signs everywhere making it relatively easy to find places you wanted to visit. That doesn't happen now. I asked for directions to vineland and I was told to warp there. The existence of those commands makes it impossible to play on the server without them, whether I can just choose to use them or not. At least, if I want to actually interact with anyone on the server in any meaningful way.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8843 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:42 am

Post by Klazam »

Vineland is kind of impossible to get to other than warping. It is approx a hour or 2 boat trip.
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8844 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:47 am

Post by Maruchan »

In post 8833, Maestro wrote:Idea. Rhinox might be interested to read this. Would it be too time consuming/anticommunity to use the current world files to set up a second "clone" server that would be strictly Vanilla Minecraft? No warps, no tp's, just the world as it is right now...? I'm just thinking about who would play on that vs. the one we have now, and it's worrisome to think that we'd then pretty much be splitting the community, but I just thought it would be a good idea to ask about input.

completely possible ,and could remove bukkit and use just minecraft.jar, and this would be viable, and there would be no commands.

but it would deffo split community/
Show
Join Now!

Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8845 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:51 am

Post by Maruchan »

In post 8836, Rhinox wrote:@izak: cool I guess, if it lets us do cool things like set up our own persistent voice server. Any ETA on when this will be happening?

The things we will have right from the get-go:

IRC, that is integrated with mincraft so minecraft chat gets published to the IRC Channel and IRC chat gets published to the minecraft client. allows you to chat in-game with players from your cellphone/a shitty weork computer that can't run dynmap.

Ventrillo: persistent voice server that is stand-alone and pretty badass (better than skype imho)

MINECRAFT: obv is obv, same exact server files we currently have in place ,they are safe.

MultiCraft MC Control Panel for admins with up to 3 servers allowed: will likely run the MS server persistently, as well as a TerraFirmaCraft and use the third for events/etc.

FTP FIle Access: Allows me to fuck with the files from my desktop

MySQL: meaning we can use almost any bukkit plugin even the hardcore shit.

the MaruchanServer.com URL: obv is obv

anything else we could possibly want.
Show
Join Now!

Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8846 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:53 am

Post by Maruchan »

In post 8837, Maestro wrote:Understood guys, I myself had qualms with that idea, I just saw it as a possible solution.

But maybe we could have a second server that starts fresh...? People could play on either one however they wish. That sounds like a fantastic idea.

liek tbone said, a secodn server would be less vanilla than the current and worst-case we can go mroe vanilla with the current.

I do plan on starting a fresh-start terrafirmacraft or other mods modded server
Show
Join Now!

Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8847 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:58 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 8843, Klazam wrote:Vineland is kind of impossible to get to other than warping. It is approx a hour or 2 boat trip.

Thats kinda my point.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8848 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:15 am

Post by Maestro »

I can personally say that I will not play TerraFirmaCraft if it is put up as a companion server...I believe that TFC is excessively complex to the point of no longer being a fun game and I believe there are others who agree with me.

Meanwhile, there seem to be enough people that want a Vanilla server that it would be a good investment of community time, etc. and I still disagree that it would split the community. Many people don't play on the server that often as it is, and if those people would play if the server was Vanilla then the new server would be nothing but a good thing for them since it would literally draw them back into the community.

We're already "split" on the basis of many players' long inactivity and preference for a non-Bukkit environment; why isn't offering a second, possibly-more-appealing option seen as something that can bring more people into the fold?

@Rhinox: I understand that you don't want to force others to play by your preference - that's what I was trying to get across. I wasn't trying to imply that you would go play by yourself rather than play with warps/tp's, etc. I was just trying to say that you have a preferred way of playing and the current system of warps/tp's does not seem to accomodate/encourage your preferred way of playing, by your own admission.
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #8849 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:30 am

Post by Xalxe »

Ugh.

I told myself I wouldn't post again, I really did, but I really need to point something very basic out:
more options will fracture the community.
In addition,
doing things the community doesn't want will only backfire.

There has been one straight-vanilla server forever. It works. There's no need to 1) split things off into a modded server or 2) introduce other options as a "MafiaScum" thing.

Maru, you had your modded server for a while that was open to anybody and was just something you publicized here, and that was fine. Attempting to do any other "MafiaScum" server will not end well.

If there are people who want a more vanilla experience, make the current server more vanilla, don't add new options.

And as this is an outsider opinion, I'm automatically right, so suck it bitches.
"I, too, would prefer to know the Xalxe of my demise." - Felissan, 2022
- On this day in history: mundanity, and terror, and food, and love, and trees -

Return to “The Arcade”