Game of Thrones

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
ArcAngel9
ArcAngel9
Jack of All Trades
ArcAngel9
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1600 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:31 am

Post by ArcAngel9 »

In post 1599, Venmar wrote:Nobody read the above post if you haven't seen the first season... giant spoiler.

PEDit: Arcs post.

Lol. edited!!
I
n
a
t
i
m
e
o
f
a
n
c
i
e
n
t
g
o
d
s
w
a
r
l
o
r
d
s
a
n
d
k
i
n
g
s
a
l
a
n
d
i
n
t
u
r
m
o
i
l
c
r
i
e
d
o
u
t
f
o
r
a
h
e
r
o
S
h
e
w
a
s
X
e
n
a
a
m
i
g
h
t
y
p
r
i
n
c
e
s
s
f
o
r
g
e
d
i
n
t
h
e
h
e
a
t
o
f
b
a
t
t
l
e
T
h
e
p
o
w
e
r
t
h
e
p
a
s
s
i
o
n
t
h
e
d
a
n
g
e
r
H
e
r
c
o
u
r
a
g
e
w
i
l
l
c
h
a
n
g
e
t
h
e
w
o
r
l
d
-
Xena Warrior Princess, Coming Soon!!
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1601 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:31 am

Post by Iecerint »

Gosh, ArcAngel, lern2spoilertab.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1602 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:32 am

Post by Iecerint »

In post 1598, Faraday wrote:There are plenty od deviations with character growth/characters being basically different. Look at littlefinger. He's severely dumbed down for TV.

Oh?
The Baltimore Sun
The Baltimore Sun
Goon
The Baltimore Sun
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1603 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:36 am

Post by The Baltimore Sun »

Spoilers for the first season seem fine by now, surely. it's been 2 years.

I'm not sure if you're disagreeing with me or asking for elaboration Iec.
Spoiler: Not really a spoiler but etc
Basically there are things he does/has to do on tv to keep him prominent that the book version wouldn't do. Speaking to Sansa in a public place so openly, taunting cersei about the incest. A lot of the changes are somewhat forced since in the books he's very much a background character controlling things which doesn't work as well on tv - but they've still done stuff with him (like taunting cersei) which goes completely against the character as written/make no sense. Aiden Gillen plays Littlefinger well - it's just not really the same guy as the books.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1604 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:42 am

Post by Iecerint »

I was asking for elaboration. I can see where you're coming from.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1605 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:42 am

Post by zoraster »

It's perfectly fine to "spoil" season 1 stuff. If you haven't seen the first season of the show, then you shouldn't get pissed about coming into the thread. I'm willing to spoiler stuff for a day or two as everyone watches on their DVRs or whatever, but protection against spoilers should not be taken too far.

In other words, spoiler stuff that might happen based on your reading of the books or other sources. Spoiler stuff that was in the books in case someone reads them (this is the SHOW thread, after all). Don't spoiler stuff that has already been broadcast.

I often don't get around to watching Doctor Who until Sunday or Monday after it airs as, you know, Saturday night. I just know not to go in that thread until then.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #1606 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:01 am

Post by Tierce »

In post 1605, zoraster wrote:It's perfectly fine to "spoil" season 1 stuff. If you haven't seen the first season of the show, then you shouldn't get pissed about coming into the thread. I'm willing to spoiler stuff for a day or two as everyone watches on their DVRs or whatever, but protection against spoilers should not be taken too far.

In other words, spoiler stuff that might happen based on your reading of the books or other sources. Spoiler stuff that was in the books in case someone reads them (this is the SHOW thread, after all). Don't spoiler stuff that has already been broadcast.

I often don't get around to watching Doctor Who until Sunday or Monday after it airs as, you know, Saturday night. I just know not to go in that thread until then.
I know where you are coming from. The show has been on the air for two full years, and events from the first season are widely known on the internet. However, we DO have scummers who are still watching season 1 or considering doing so. You know people are curious and will click the thread despite risks. Yes, it's their own fault, but we can mitigate the risks by not openly spoiling key events. It's a matter of kindness/courtesy and it's not like applying a spoiler tag is difficult even on a phone. GoT/ASOIAF fans are very good at not spoiling non-readers. Let's keep that up?
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #1607 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:09 am

Post by zoraster »

There is kindness and courtesy, which I fully accept. And then there are the ridiculous demands of those who are behind on a show just so that they can... read a thread about the show?

The thread is for talking about the show. Many things need to be spoilered because they pertain to things that may happen in the future. But we don't need to spoiler the fact that Ned Stark dies in season 1. That's big, it affects the rest of the interactions. I don't want to have to spoiler things that I watched last night because discussing that is the entire point of the thread.

It is unreasonable to demand spoilers for those things.

In a way, the people who don't watch the shows on time, but still demand that we respect their right to remain strategically ignorant, are the real spoilers — the ones whose slow pace keep us from enjoying the postshow discussion as much as we enjoy the shows themselves.

http://www.vulture.com/2008/03/spoilers.html (contains spoilers of Buffy)

I'm not sure I agree with it entirely. I'm not going to play the "i'm going to say vague things and be clever about not spoiling things" game or anything like that. I'm just saying that if something has aired, your right to avoid spoilers in a thread about the show is over. If it's a general TV thread or something like that, I'm okay avoiding spoilers. But not in this thread. And it's other people's discourtesy to expect us to accommodate them that is driving it.
Venmar
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1608 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:21 am

Post by Venmar »

Just in case:

Major Season 1 Spoilers:
Spoiler:
Season 1 is actually the season where all of the best characters die... all of my favorite characters when I started watching the season died in it. Ned Stark, Khal Drogo, Jory Cassel, and Robert Baratheon were the coolest characters i've ever seen. I grew attached to all of them and they all got killed off in different fashions.

Thing is, even though their deaths sparked EVERYTHING in the following seasons... I still really miss them. Roberts death sparked the entire war between all of the kings, if he survived the hunt then he would still be king and there would be no war, and the Starks would've gotten their justice. Khal Drogos death, even though it pretty much completely halted Danny's invasions of westeros, made her way more ambitious and wanting of going to westeros for her birth right. His death also kind of lead to Danny hatching her dragons.

And then Ned Stark gets killed off, and it leads to a ruthless war between the Starks and the Lannisters. Neds execution meant Robb wouldn't stop until he got his revenge and vengeance. Basically, Robert dying, and Ned being imprisoned lead to turmoil in westeros, and then when Ned was finally executed, it escalated out of control.

*sob* I loved Ned and Robert...
I swear I'm trying my best

--Expect me to be V/LA from 10am-7pm PST every Mon, Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun due to work--
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #1609 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:24 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 1604, Iecerint wrote:I was asking for elaboration. I can see where you're coming from.

Spoiler: Littlefinger
They've turned Littlefinger into a shrewd businessman, whereas in the books you could say he has plots within plots within plots and the reader is almost always kept guessing. I can elaborate more, but if you haven't read the books, I'd rather not spoil some of my favorite stuff for you
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1610 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:30 am

Post by Iecerint »

I know the plot trajectories of all the characters. As I understand it, Littlefinger doesn't take off until mid-late Book 3.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #1611 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:36 am

Post by zoraster »

Spoiler: because I can't remember if it's in the show or not
In Clash of Kings he basically figures out a way to make himself Lord of Harrenhal, which others think is meaningless but isn't
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1612 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:42 am

Post by Iecerint »

Spoiler:
I think that also happens in the show, due to his role in Ned's capture IIRC, though I can't remember for certain.

EDIT: Nope, it's for securing the alliance with the Tyrells.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #1613 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:48 am

Post by zoraster »

Spoiler: The Long Game
Littlefinger plays the long game. The dumbing down has less to do with the overarching reasons than it does with the cool particularities of it as they can be somewhat intricate. Or at least that's what I suspect will happen in the way it's being set up.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #1614 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:52 am

Post by Faraday »

Even Martin has said he thinks he's very different.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #1615 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:40 am

Post by Xalxe »

So I just watched it. I liked it! I agree with whoever that there weren't a whole lot of "fist pump" moment, but that's to be expected: the first episodes need to set up the later stuff.

Didn't notice they introduced Qyburn, didn't even catch his name. That'll be interesting; might he have been a plant?

I really like what they're doing with the Tyrells; it's a little blatant "LOOK HERE'S A GOOD QUEEN" but it's necessary as a contrast.

Missing Strong Belwas though.
"I, too, would prefer to know the Xalxe of my demise." - Felissan, 2022
- On this day in history: mundanity, and terror, and food, and love, and trees -
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1616 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:45 am

Post by Iecerint »

In post 1615, Xalxe wrote:So I just watched it. I liked it! I agree with whoever that there weren't a whole lot of "fist pump" moment, but that's to be expected: the first episodes need to set up the later stuff.

I cackled with glee whenever Margaery opened her mouth to say something passive-aggressive. :]
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #1617 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:53 am

Post by Faraday »

In post 1615, Xalxe wrote:Didn't notice they introduced Qyburn, didn't even catch his name. That'll be interesting; might he have been a plant?

Presumably it's just a different intro story, which makes sense given the changes to the Harrenhal plot last season.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Seacore
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1618 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:30 am

Post by Seacore »

Re: Littlefinger. He's my favourite character in the books. Not that I like him as a person mind you, but he's under everybody's radar except Varys's and is playing the long game.

If I tell anybody who hasn't read the books that he's my favourite character they don't understand and I can't blame them. It's nothing wrong with the actor at all, it's the way he's been written, including the awful scene with Cersei and actively managing a brothel.
ZONEACE
ZONEACE
There's no F in ZONEFACE
ZONEACE
There's no F in ZONEFACE
There's no F in ZONEFACE

Post Post #1619 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:19 am

Post by ZONEACE »

As someone who hasn't read the books I think Lord Baelesh (sp) is a fine character.
Late twenties, early Thursdays
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1620 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:30 am

Post by Iecerint »

Baelish is fine in the show, but Varys kinda steals the spotlight IMO.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #1621 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:28 pm

Post by zoraster »

justwantmoresyrio
The Central Scrutinizer
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1622 (ISO) » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:51 am

Post by The Central Scrutinizer »

In post 1576, Iecerint wrote:What did other people make of Joffrey's attitude toward Margaery in this episode? Are they going to try humanizing Joffrey this season?

They're almost certainly going to flesh out the idea that Cersei and Margaery are battling for "control" of Joffrey.
"You might very well think that; I couldn't
possibly
comment."
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime