Game of Thrones

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2200 (ISO) » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:15 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 2160, pappums rat wrote:I thought the Red Wedding was handled rather poorly, a lot of it stemming from how they handled Roose's performance. I thought him getting slapped and then running away from the ambush was lame and made him look like a coward. Then it took forever for him to finally reappear and give the pup the coup de grace, leaving one to wonder what he was doing during the fighting, just standing off in a corner waiting? And then once he finally did the deed, it was all wrong. It went by far too quickly, it seemed like he lingered by Robb in the book when he stuck him, but he just jabbed him and ran away again in the episode. And they botched the line ffs. Jaime Lannister sent his regards, not the Lannisters goddamn it.

I am glad the Jeyne knockoff is gone though, she seemed to cut off all of Roose's scenes in season 2.

And Cat should have clawed out her eyes after Robb died like she did in the book.

All in all, fairly disappointed with it.
Yeah, Roose should totally stand in the place where all the crossbow bolts are about to go.

I quite liked how it was handled. It was actually more brutal than the books with not-Jeyne's death and Eddard Stark dying again. It wasn't a complete rehash of the books, but that's ok, because it's an adaptation. I don't want it to be exactly the same, because it can't be. I actually got physical chills when Rains of Castamere started playing, and I knew what was coming.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2201 (ISO) » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:40 pm

Post by Claus »

I'm not following the show (other than this thread), but I went hunting the red wedding scene on youtube. I just missed the part where they
sew the direwolf's head into robb's neck
-- that was when it really "got" me in the books. Do they mention that later in the episode?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVmAG0RXmo
Hiraki
Hiraki
Survivor
Hiraki
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2202 (ISO) » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:45 pm

Post by Hiraki »

In post 2201, Claus wrote:Do they mention that later in the episode?
The last scene is of Catelyn Stark's throat being slit before a good 10 seconds of still reaction camera.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2203 (ISO) » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:58 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

I assume that will be the opening shot of Episode 10, Claus, like Ice being bloody after chopping off Eddard's head in season 1.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2204 (ISO) » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:11 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Seacore
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2205 (ISO) » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:33 am

Post by Seacore »

Is there some kind of thing called a Parental Crush or something? Where you want somebody to be your child because they are so awesome?
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2206 (ISO) » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:39 am

Post by PJ. »

Pro tip: don't name anything Eddard. That shit is 0/2
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Seacore
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2207 (ISO) » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:39 am

Post by Seacore »

In all fairness, it might have been little Edwina
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2208 (ISO) » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:42 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

green shirt thursdays
evilpacman18
evilpacman18
Mafia Scum
evilpacman18
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2209 (ISO) » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:35 am

Post by evilpacman18 »

oh my god that is amazing
I play piano and competitive Smash 4 under the tag EPM
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #2210 (ISO) » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:16 pm

Post by Tierce »

I just finished watching the episode.

I... need something cheerful to do. That was heavy. Expected, yes, but those final minutes were still like a punch in the gut. For once, I am not rewatching it immediately.
Lost Butterfly
Lost Butterfly
Mafia Scum
Lost Butterfly
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2211 (ISO) » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:55 pm

Post by Lost Butterfly »

In post 2157, Andrius wrote:Not sure I care about Talisa dying, but I really don't care much for her since she's not Jeyne.
jeyne was just purely a plot device, at least talisa had a nice ass. r.i.p.
Mafiascum Fantasy Camp 2 - Day 7 ongoing
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2212 (ISO) » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:06 am

Post by Wraith »

In post 2201, Claus wrote:I'm not following the show (other than this thread), but I went hunting the red wedding scene on youtube. I just missed the part where they
sew the direwolf's head into robb's neck
-- that was when it really "got" me in the books. Do they mention that later in the episode?
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they said they would be showing that. So yeah like people said it will likely be the opening shot of the next episode.
Show
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." -Helder Camara

"For myself, I want no advantage over my fellow man, and if he is weaker than I, all the more is it my duty to help him." -Eugene Debs

"Our demands most modest are - we only want the earth!" -James Connolly
PeregrineV
PeregrineV
Survivor
PeregrineV
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2213 (ISO) » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:06 pm

Post by PeregrineV »

Crossposted in Magic the Gathering Thread:

I will have
Limited Access
on weekends.
Whimsical Eggplant
Whimsical Eggplant
Townie
Whimsical Eggplant
Townie
Townie

Post Post #2214 (ISO) » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:27 pm

Post by Whimsical Eggplant »

I understand that the show is different from others, but I'm genuinely pissed with this episode. What was the point of all that character development for the Starks if they were only going to be killed in the end? I completely understand Neddard Stark's death. He was an honest fool and cost his family dearly. I grew to care about Robb, his mother, his wolf, (not so much his "wife), the gay king, and many other characters, and with the end of this episode, I'm really disgusted with remaining cast and crew. I admire Danyrus for struggling with her hardship, but I'm sick of her idealistic mindset when it comes to saving people from a sacked village (leading to the demise of her husband) and staying in to liberate 200,000 more slaves. The scale of the 8000+ slave army was very impressive, but I doubt we'll see any large scale battles done properly. I don't understand how she's finding food or managing logistics from an army that's seemingly appeared from thin air, and the inner politics between her two knights is highly uninteresting. The remaining characters? People scheming around the throne but accomplishing next to nothing besides the Starks getting destroyed, and the Lannisters' position being reinforced further and further again. It's not entertaining to see the villains win while there's few characters worth rooting for. Tyrion and Arya are by far my favorite characters, but looking at what's left of the characters (cool gay king replaced for unlikeable stannis and his creepy general/disfigured child and weird tie in to blood religion I really don't want to see fleshed out, weird brotherhood that I don't care about, lannisters and high officials masturbating themselves to pointless politics (call it the game of thrones whatever), john snow hooking up with middle earth's equivalent of trailer trash, a fatso's pathetic antics being called a "wizard," some kids that talk to dogs at night, and a girl who's we know is never going to be harmed and has actual dragons fighting far away in the middle east). I'm simply not that interested in the show anymore, and just want to see Lannisters (minus Tyrion of course) suffer, and for the Mist Walkers to actually arrive and start wrecking shit.

People root for the plot and call it incredible because good characters, good main characters that we care about can die, but I'd have to disagree. Looking at the title, "Game of thrones" and the way the show functions, anything and everything will be done to ensure that the shitty office politics behind the garish throne/water cooler goes on forever. It's not original or amazing. Of
course
the king dies and ned is killed to rid us of any stability/ or closure to joffrey's illegitimacy. Of course the cool, likeable gay king who's sure to succeed can't pull a truce with his brother. The way he dies is hilarious. An invincible untraceable shadow comes out of nowhere and shanks him. Could the hand of the narrator be any more obvious? The Spider and Tyrion even talk about how when Stannis invades and the city falls, the game of thrones will be over. But it can't be over, because that's how the author/show masturbates to itself. So Tyrion is given nukes to destroy an entire fleet. Yet his massive success as right hand (neuters Cersei's bitchiness which is SO rewarding, puts the old geezer druid in his place, gets rid of traitorous guardsmen, brings hilarity to the kingdom, keeps things running smoothly, chills with the spider) and in battle are ignored and he wakes up to his father calling him the diminutive freak that killed his mother at birth (despite being called "my son"/being respected so much a few episodes earlier? wtf???). So he's demoted, Cersei continues being a huge bitch, we have yet another Lannister masturbating himself furiously to the Lannister legacy and how badly they're dominating the kingdom. Robb is a threat to the GoT and is promptly removed in a horrible way. The gentle hearted dragon lady is awesome and sure to provide external pressure on the throne, but thankfully she is busy fighting arabs in Afganistan, super far away from Europe so no one cares and the GoT can go on. I don't see it as being unrealistic, but like Renly and Stannis' fleet, see the hand of the narrator brushing aside pieces to maintain a shitty game of chinese checkers between lannisters, tyrells, joffrey and tywin, cersei and literally everybody, the spider and littlefinger and all sorts of other shit no one really cares to watch going. I felt that the season was really dragging on with a like 3 entire episodes just there to obviously set up future plot events. The remaining Starks (Sansa-I have zero power influence, personality and exist to be shat on repeatedly, Bran-when I sleep, I see dead people, and the four year old kid no one cares about) are so boring Arya aside(really liking how she is pitted with the Hound. Hopefully he erodes her values and grooms her in this brutal world). Lady Tyrelle needs to hurry the fuck up and marry Joffrey so that Cersei can pack up her bags as queen-regent and gtfo. Idk this is definitely a good show because I really care, but I'm just pissed off with how things are. The Lannisters are showing all sorts of awesome values, but it's highly unrealistic that none of their tactics are being employed against them.

I am disappoint.
Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #2215 (ISO) » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:03 pm

Post by Amrun »

Eggplant, Dany plotline will not disappoint you.

But in general, you seem pretty short sighted. If you want immediate gratification, this series is not for you. And for the record, their tactics ARE being employed against them and I'm not sure how/why you think they are not... (For example, do you think the young Lannister boys' deaths had nothing to do with Red Wedding? If so, you'd be wrong.)

The show is called game of trhones because it's about political intrigue. Not sure, then, why you are like "oh god too much political intrigue."

@whomever said they missed Cat clawing her eyes out ... I agree. Other than that, I liked most of the differences.
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Fusion Mafia, ongoing now.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #2216 (ISO) » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:29 pm

Post by Andrius »

Dany's plotline constantly disappoints me.
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #2217 (ISO) » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:03 pm

Post by Amrun »

Yes, but according to what eggplant is paying attention to, I doubt (s)he will be disappointed. (And I like it, personally.)
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Fusion Mafia, ongoing now.
springlullaby
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2218 (ISO) » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:15 pm

Post by springlullaby »

In post 2214, Whimsical Eggplant wrote:Arya aside(really liking how she is pitted with the Hound. Hopefully he erodes her values and grooms her in this brutal world
How can you like Arya and want her to be eroded at all. I want her character to be played straight, and maintain its brand of innocence. The only acceptable resolutions to me are a) she get the skill to extort revenge and make things bloody b) she get the skills to extort revenge and decide to raise above it for higher ideals. Anything less would need a lot of convincing me.
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2219 (ISO) » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:43 am

Post by Wraith »

What was the point of their development if they were just going to die, you ask?

Because it gives their deaths a major emotional impact.
Show
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." -Helder Camara

"For myself, I want no advantage over my fellow man, and if he is weaker than I, all the more is it my duty to help him." -Eugene Debs

"Our demands most modest are - we only want the earth!" -James Connolly
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2220 (ISO) » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:53 am

Post by quadz08 »

It is almost like they want you to be really upset about it

whoaaaaaaaa
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2221 (ISO) » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:32 am

Post by Zachrulez »

It certainly is upsetting. In hindsight though, it's easy to see that the war was gradually turning south for the Starks.
Hiraki
Hiraki
Survivor
Hiraki
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2222 (ISO) » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:10 am

Post by Hiraki »

In post 2214, Whimsical Eggplant wrote:What was the point of all that character development for the Starks if they were only going to be killed in the end?
To prove a point.

When you play the Game of Thrones, you win or you die.

Robb played, married Talisa (and not a Frey), died due to alliances.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2223 (ISO) » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:22 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I think the biggest thing I'm taking from the Red Wedding is an absolute confirmation of how this world works. Ned losing his head was fucked, but easily attributed to Joffrey being a little shit.
green shirt thursdays
ZONEACE
ZONEACE
There's no F in ZONEFACE
ZONEACE
There's no F in ZONEFACE
There's no F in ZONEFACE

Post Post #2224 (ISO) » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:56 am

Post by ZONEACE »

The show is not about the Starks and their revenge against the Lannisters. The Show is about the Game of Thrones. Everyone plays and Everyone eventually loses.
Late twenties, early Thursdays

Return to “General Discussion”