LoL eSports Discussion

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #275 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:43 am

Post by GreyICE »

In post 264, mykonian wrote:
In post 261, Tamuz wrote:Well that doesn't read as anti-semitic or anything.
Well, that's the point isn't it? Just people are sensitive about jews and not about Koreans.

Who cares where they originate or were born, if they are allowed to work in a country they can play in the countries sports leagues. Anything beyond that is nationalism at its worst. "You aren't a white anglosaxon protestant so you can't work here".

I'm quite appalled that these thoughts are actually normal in a country build by immigrants. It's their fucking history.

I'm having trouble deciding if you're trolling us, or just actually this clueless.

Reginald on TSM is Asian. NyJacky is Chinese. Locodoco is Korean. These are all people who are historically part of the NA League of Legends scene. The issue is complete Korean teams with no history deciding "OGN is too hard, lets head over to NA and kick out all the teams there."

I mean take the NBA. The NBA is the best Basketball in the world, by far and away. Lets imagine that Taiwan had a basketball scene that was new and growing. Lots of Taiwanese joining, they are starting to get some recognition. So a bunch of American teams decide "hey, we can't beat the best teams here, lets go take over the Taiwanese scene, kick out all their local heroes, and take over their basketball programs. We'll make it so they can't get sponsors, they lose all the tournaments, and our superior basketball skills will be shown." Pretty dick move, neh? They basically took a perfectly viable basketball scene and made it "all the shitty teams in the NBA." There'd be newspaper articles about how shit those athletes were for doing that, and outrage about them just kicking apart another country's culture with no regard for it. I mean none of them even speak Taiwanese.
Last edited by GreyICE on Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #276 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:44 am

Post by JDodge »

In post 249, Bub Bidderskins wrote:
In post 236, JDodge wrote:actually, a better question: do you feel edward should be forced to return to the EU scene?
No. An NA team getting a foreign player is one thing. A foreign team representing NA is completely different. David Beckham moving to LA Galaxy is fine. David Beckham bringing his entire Real Madrid squad with him to play in the MLS is not fine. That's why soccer leagues have rules limiting the number of foreign players on a team.
Please define a "foreign team".
stream

ffxiv/speedrunning sometimes/other things?
KaleiÐoscøpe
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
=====[]

Post Post #277 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:46 am

Post by KaleiÐoscøpe »

so sk 1, omg 2, tsm and ld fight for 3rd. meh. OMG <3 though
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #278 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:03 pm

Post by mykonian »

In post 275, GreyICE wrote:I mean take the NBA. The NBA is the best Basketball in the world, by far and away. Lets imagine that Taiwan had a basketball scene that was new and growing. Lots of Taiwanese joining, they are starting to get some recognition. So a bunch of American teams decide "hey, we can't beat the best teams here, lets go take over the Taiwanese scene, kick out all their local heroes, and take over their basketball programs. We'll make it so they can't get sponsors, they lose all the tournaments, and our superior basketball skills will be shown." Pretty dick move, neh? They basically took a perfectly viable basketball scene and made it "all the shitty teams in the NBA." There'd be newspaper articles about how shit those athletes were for doing that, and outrage about them just kicking apart another country's culture with no regard for it. I mean none of them even speak Taiwanese.
I have the idea that I'm being called stupid and I don't know why. Sporters have moved for decades now. So, what happens in the countries that import players? For example in soccer, they import Africans, Brazilians. Did Spanish football players become worse because Messi and his predecessors came over? Hell no. They are current world champions for a reason, while Spain spend tons of money on players through history.

If someone comes over to your competition, you learn from them, you improve, you play your best. You bet if basketball teams went over to taiwan now, in 20 years taiwanese would rock at basketball. And in basketball you perhaps could think that it would be a dick move to let Serbians play against Pigmees, but there's no such thing when it comes to computer games.

You don't shut out players just because they aren't your preferred skin color. Talking about dick moves.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
Tamuz
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #279 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:05 pm

Post by Tamuz »

When has a sporting franchase relocated countries, mykonian?
Tamuz is the expression of the alienated, of the ambitious, of the dispossessed.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #280 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:14 pm

Post by zoraster »

There's been talk of moving Jacksonville to London.
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #281 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:16 pm

Post by JDodge »

my main issue isnt the misguided attempts at painting it at racism, its the complete ignorance of the reason
why
the korean teams are successful and the idea that NA teams are completely non-adaptive, which to be honest seems a lot more like pitying NA teams than wanting them to succeed
stream

ffxiv/speedrunning sometimes/other things?
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #282 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:17 pm

Post by GreyICE »

In post 278, mykonian wrote:
In post 275, GreyICE wrote:I mean take the NBA. The NBA is the best Basketball in the world, by far and away. Lets imagine that Taiwan had a basketball scene that was new and growing. Lots of Taiwanese joining, they are starting to get some recognition. So a bunch of American teams decide "hey, we can't beat the best teams here, lets go take over the Taiwanese scene, kick out all their local heroes, and take over their basketball programs. We'll make it so they can't get sponsors, they lose all the tournaments, and our superior basketball skills will be shown." Pretty dick move, neh? They basically took a perfectly viable basketball scene and made it "all the shitty teams in the NBA." There'd be newspaper articles about how shit those athletes were for doing that, and outrage about them just kicking apart another country's culture with no regard for it. I mean none of them even speak Taiwanese.
I have the idea that I'm being called stupid and I don't know why. Sporters have moved for decades now. So, what happens in the countries that import players? For example in soccer, they import Africans, Brazilians. Did Spanish football players become worse because Messi and his predecessors came over? Hell no. They are current world champions for a reason, while Spain spend tons of money on players through history.

If someone comes over to your competition, you learn from them, you improve, you play your best. You bet if basketball teams went over to taiwan now, in 20 years taiwanese would rock at basketball. And in basketball you perhaps could think that it would be a dick move to let Serbians play against Pigmees, but there's no such thing when it comes to computer games.

You don't shut out players just because they aren't your preferred skin color. Talking about dick moves.
Well you think I'm calling you stupid.

Maybe that's a bit wrong. Ignorant is closer. Deliberately thick as fuck is dead on.

Because this practice has been controversial since forever. Most football teams have rules about how many native players you can have versus how many international players. There's a hell of a lot of rules, discussion, and controversy in the Olympics whenever someone tries to country hop, and it's definitely something the IOC cares a lot about.

It has nothing to do with racism (dear god, did you miss reading all the names of asian players in the LCS? You can add on Doublelift, Chauster, fuck there's more still) and everything to do with local teams being local.

I mean honestly I think you're just trolling because no human can be this dense.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #283 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:17 pm

Post by mykonian »

The only examples I can think of quickly are in an obscure sport that I played. It was well before I was born, but "the Belgians came" to the biggest tourney. Stuff of legends etc. They revolutionized the game, as they were more professional at it in general earning more money with it. They were a lot better, but the local players adapted and learned quickly (to the point that some of the best moved temporarily to Belgium to play there).

Jeu de Pelote and Kaatsen are the names of the games that are somewhat related.

In most modern sports I don't even know where entire teams move within borders, leave alone across borders. It's usually individuals. Not sure how it actually makes a difference for the argument, though. Both times the opposition becomes something different, something new. That's your opportunity to learn, to adapt. And people who are competative do. It's not a empty sentence that competition makes one better. You learn from playing against someone more capable.
Tamuz
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #284 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:25 pm

Post by Tamuz »

In post 283, mykonian wrote:In most modern sports I don't even know where entire teams move within borders, leave alone across borders. It's usually individuals. Not sure how it actually makes a difference for the argument, though. Both times the opposition becomes something different, something new. That's your opportunity to learn, to adapt. And people who are competative do. It's not a empty sentence that competition makes one better. You learn from playing against someone more capable.

Because the discussion is not about players moving borders, free-agenting to an existing franchise. The issue is against franchises changing their region completely. If the seed spots in a tournament are meant to represent a region, you would expect that the franchise to have a majority of residents or citizens of that region. How would you feel if the Chelsea line-up represented Qataar in the next world cup? Should that be ok? What if they train on Qataari soil, that better?

There is a reason Oil Barons can't buy world cups, just Champions League Silverwear.

re Jacksonville -> London... I'd never heard the idea, but wow. Logistically one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.
Tamuz is the expression of the alienated, of the ambitious, of the dispossessed.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #285 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:30 pm

Post by mykonian »

And sure greyice, I'm trolling ;) Don't worry, nobody could want the evil koreans to come to your perfect little world.
In post 284, Tamuz wrote:
In post 283, mykonian wrote:In most modern sports I don't even know where entire teams move within borders, leave alone across borders. It's usually individuals. Not sure how it actually makes a difference for the argument, though. Both times the opposition becomes something different, something new. That's your opportunity to learn, to adapt. And people who are competative do. It's not a empty sentence that competition makes one better. You learn from playing against someone more capable.

Because the discussion is not about players moving borders, free-agenting to an existing franchise. The issue is against franchises changing their region completely. If the seed spots in a tournament are meant to represent a region, you would expect that the franchise to have a majority of residents or citizens of that region.
How would you feel if the Chelsea line-up represented Qataar in the next world cup?
Should that be ok? What if they train on Qataari soil, that better?

There is a reason Oil Barons can't buy world cups, just Champions League Silverwear.

re Jacksonville -> London... I'd never heard the idea, but wow. Logistically one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.
Ping, and there it is. That's a National team. Remember the shit around Jatt?

You are confusing a competition with a national team. Gosh being nationalist about a national team sounds perfect logical: yes.

Nobody minds that Messi represents Europe in the world championship for club teams.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #286 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:31 pm

Post by GreyICE »

Mykonian is crusading against something. He knows not what, but he's crusading against it. I think it's time we started ignoring him.

In other news, why are people convinced that picking fizz against Ahri will magically result in a win? Two teams in a row have tried this strategy, and it's not proving a panacea.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Tamuz
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #287 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:34 pm

Post by Tamuz »

In this tournament teams represent regions. I'm coming to the same conclusion as GreyICE now.

Grey, results based analysis is generally bad, leads to kneejerks. Teams have at least tens of games of Fizz v Ahri in all of their sparring matches, their conclusions of 'good/bad choice' likely come from that, not the game 1 hour ago by 2 completely different teams.
KaleiÐoscøpe
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
=====[]

Post Post #288 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:43 pm

Post by KaleiÐoscøpe »

Will you guys shut up and talk about the amazing worlds that is going on right now?
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #289 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:45 pm

Post by mykonian »

gg wasn't so amazing :/ Next one should be brilliant.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #290 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:50 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

Holy shit fucking shut up
green shirt thursdays
Tamuz
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #291 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:57 pm

Post by Tamuz »

POCARI SWEAT

IS

A

SOFTDRINK
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #292 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:59 pm

Post by BROseidon »

SHUT UP OMG VS SKT T1 IS ABOUT TO START.
Tamuz
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #293 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:02 pm

Post by Tamuz »

It wasn't even champ select yet :(

Think we'll see Ashe Zyra before Cloud 9, I like the lane a lot.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #294 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:20 pm

Post by GreyICE »

In post 287, Tamuz wrote:Grey, results based analysis is generally bad, leads to kneejerks. Teams have at least tens of games of Fizz v Ahri in all of their sparring matches, their conclusions of 'good/bad choice' likely come from that, not the game 1 hour ago by 2 completely different teams.
Well this may or may not be, but I think that so far what's happened is that Fizz has not proved a solution to the Ahri issue.

As far as I can tell Fizz is a counter because he can jump the charm and then go in hard on her, and she has to use the ult to escape, plus he can ult her and bleed her to kill her.

Which is great, but it doesn't stop her roam, and while Fizz takes towers alright once he gets lichbane... I dunno. I just feel like they haven't really factored in roaming and junglers, they've just kind of said "well fizz can beat ahri in lane." Might have just been a desperation pick, since neither team was exactly favored to win. Ironically I kind of feel that if Regi had a champion he's comfortable on and had done decent in the middle lane, TSM could easily have won that.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #295 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:24 pm

Post by GreyICE »

OMG is currently ahead of SKT1. We'll see how long it lasts, but OMG is looking very good.

My team has yet to play. Still think they'll take this.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #296 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:31 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Fizz is a solid pick vs. Ahri given the context of nothing actually countering her. She has even or better lane matchups against almost everyone. The fact that Fizz theoretically wins that matchup pretty solidly makes him a good pick in theory. In practice, though, Fizz is a risky as fuck pick b/c the matchup goes south really fast if the execution isn't there (which it hasn't been today).
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #297 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:36 pm

Post by GreyICE »

OMG has studied SKT1. I feel like SKT1 hasn't done their homework. Faker remains crazy-good.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #298 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:37 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Lovelin is playing insanely well.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #299 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:39 pm

Post by GreyICE »

That's like saying "Faker is a good midlaner."

EDIT: THE LEVEL THIS GAME IS ON OH JESUS. Seriously this is not KTB/SKT1 level, but it's getting close. The fact that neither side knows what the other one is gonna do is making this extremely chaotic.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones

Return to “The Arcade”