Magic: The Gathering,GO TEAM MS!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3700 (ISO) » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:41 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

I think in general it will probably be a mistake to not play any enchantments. It will happen sometimes, but very rarely.

I also think its probably incorrect to start 3 pieces of enchantment removal.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3701 (ISO) » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:03 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 3697, Thestatusquo wrote:4) Bestow cards weren't as good as I thought they were going to be. Monstrous was better than I thought it would be. The weapons cards were fine, but not amazing. I went in thinking that the bestow cards would almost always be card advantage, and I really just don't think that is the case. I think some of them are fine and some of them are quite good, but I certainly wouldn't want to play a card just because it has bestow. Monstrous on the other hand, because of the lack of quality removal, are waaaaay better than I thought they would be. being able to spend your turn making one of your dudes an 8/9 is just really really good in this format.
Which ones specifically did you play/see to give you that idea? Because I felt very differently about most of the bestow creatures I saw. Because bestow doesn't necessarily make a bad card good, it's just that a lot of the bestow cards are quite good on their own. All of the Emissary cards, for instance, I felt were quite good, and the B/U/R Nymphs impressed me a lot.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #3702 (ISO) » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:07 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

I went white, so obviously that one. It's just that I think board presence is so important in this format that most times I would just rather play it as a creature on curve then wait for "value" which isn't even that high to begin with.

Functionally, they played just like normal creatures for me for the most part, except they are vulnerable to a lot more removal.

I don't think they're bad, I just don't think that bestow creatures are must plays, which I thought they would be because of the card advantage potential.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...
Pronoun: he/him/his

Post Post #3703 (ISO) » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:27 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Played in three sealed events; it is a very strange-feeling format.

Didn't do terribly well in my first (2-0-2), stomped with the second (4-0), and failed in the third (2-2). I really like the Heroic mechanic if you can get it off. In the event I went 4-0 in, I ended up having
three
Triton Fortune Hunters and
three
Feral Invocations. There were other cards, of course, but the card-drawing theme pretty much let me steamroll decks with card advantage (drawing a card, improving my board, often killing an opponent's creature all at once). I had practically no removal in my 4-0 deck besides combat tricks (again: Heroic), but it worked extremely well and very smoothly. Still, the lack of removal in the format is
very
disturbing. I like having a grip of removal spells. ._.

Monstrosity is, as TSQ suggests,
very
good. The common Asp in particular is a powerhouse -- first it stabilizes the board, and then it dominates the board.

Scry is strong. (Go figure).

Mogis' Marauder might be my favorite uncommon in the set (in the eye of a limited player).
"Logic? I call that flapdoodle."
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #3704 (ISO) » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:41 pm

Post by chamber »

I found scry pretty underwhelming? scry 1 is just a lot worse than scry 2.
Taking a break from the site.
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3705 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:00 am

Post by Natirasha »

I only had two bestow cards in my deck--Boon Satyr and Nylea's Emmisary--so my perception is probably skewed, but it was really really good whenever I cast them. I can imagine so of the nymph cycle kinda sucking, especially the white one(although Knightly Valor was a pretty good card).

The scry 1s were all sort of disappointing except Witch's Eye, which I think is more due to being reusable and a mana sink.
Natirasha is just a vestige, it's Contessa now.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #3706 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:16 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

I think some people are misinterpreting what I said. I wasn't saying bestow cards are bad. I was saying that the bestow mechanic isn't actually all that great, functionally. Obviously you still play bestow cards that do good things, but I think that waiting to play things for their bestow cost is wrong more often than it is right, and that means that functionally those cards play a little bit weaker than if they didn't have bestow, because they're just creatures that are weak to removal that other creatures are not.

Like, if you gave me a choice between the white promo card with bestow and without bestow, I would take it without, because I almost never wanted to bestow it, and as a creature its way harder to deal with the non-enchantment creature given the removal in this set. I'd still obviously play it either way.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3707 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:40 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 3706, Thestatusquo wrote:I think some people are misinterpreting what I said. I wasn't saying bestow cards are bad. I was saying that the bestow mechanic isn't actually all that great, functionally. Obviously you still play bestow cards that do good things, but I think that waiting to play things for their bestow cost is wrong more often than it is right, and that means that functionally those cards play a little bit weaker than if they didn't have bestow, because they're just creatures that are weak to removal that other creatures are not.

Like, if you gave me a choice between the white promo card with bestow and without bestow, I would take it without, because I almost never wanted to bestow it, and as a creature its way harder to deal with the non-enchantment creature given the removal in this set. I'd still obviously play it either way.
I agree with you for the most part. You shouldn't necessarily wait to Bestow them, but if you draw them late and want a boost to a creature to get through, they give you that flexibility.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #3708 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:42 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Except that never happened to me? The only time I did it was with a heroic creature and the 2/2 green bear. But its very marginal. I think not being vulnerable to enchantment removal is more important.

Also, with tons of maindeckable instant speed enchantment removal in this set, its very easy to get blown out attacking with a dude with an enchantment on it.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3709 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:21 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I saw a lot of "suit up the little dude and smash in over and over" in the games I played. That's how I lost my final match, and I had fucking Elspeth out on the board too.

I went Esper at the prerelease, because I had the promo Shipbreaker Kraken + another Shipbreaker Kraken + Elspeth, and my black cards were decent (Sip of Hemlock, the 4 mana "give two dudes +1/+1 and lifelink" combat trick, Shipwreck Singer [that card is actually nuts], Read the Bones, the black Ordeal). I ended up taking 6th place with a 4-2 finish. One loss was to Fate, so I wasn't too mad. The last loss was against a guy who ran four colors and a bunch of dual casting cost cards and just got perfect mana every time... which, when you have unknown shores and two travelers amulets and the elk that fetches two basic lands, I guess you can do that.

It's definitely not quite as slow as I thought... but I did notice most games were basically "who can get to six mana and play the bigger bomb first".
green shirt thursdays
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3710 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:49 am

Post by bv310 »

Hell, I had an Amulet, an Elk, and a Unicorn-of-Paradise and I still wasn't greedy enough to go to 4 colours.
nhammen
nhammen
Mafia Scum
nhammen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3711 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:24 pm

Post by nhammen »

I participated in my first pre-release ever today. I went 0-4 with cards that I thought were good. Maybe my selection was bad. I had a tough time deciding which two of White, Blue, and Black I should use and maybe I chose wrong. Well, I guess I should link to a list and see what you think. (and here is were you see just how bad I am at creating a Magic deck)

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/cards-i- ... gory=color
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #3712 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:22 pm

Post by chamber »

what was your final list?
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #3713 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:30 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

Spoiler: Rough 30 second list
Creatures (14):
1x Vaporkin
1x Leonin Snare caster
1x Observant Alseid
2x Triton Fortune Hunter
1x Breaching Hippocamp
1x Coastline Chimera
1x Horizon Scholar
1x Celestial Archon
1x Heliod's Emissary
2x Setessan Griffin
1x Silent Artisan
1x Nimbus Naiad

Spells (6):
1x Voyage's End
1x Lost in a Labyrinth
1x Triton Tactics
1x Griptide
1x Divine Verdict
1x Battlewise Valor
1x Ray of Dissolution

Enchantments (2):
1x Heliod, God of the Sun
1x Aqueous Form]Rough 30 second deck list

I'd ideally like to cut a spell and add another creature though, probably the Ray or Lost in a Lab.
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #3714 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:48 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

I'm pretty sure its wrong to not play black.
nhammen
nhammen
Mafia Scum
nhammen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3715 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:06 pm

Post by nhammen »

Yeah. At first I wanted to run White/Blue, because Blue had some amazing evasion, but Black just had so much removal (plus Erebos's Emissary is a bomb), that I ran White/Black:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/my-thero ... gory=color

Note, this is after removing a Sip of Hemlock and Ray of Dissolution because I didn't have enough creatures in my first match. So it turns out that I didn't need as much removal as I had. After my second match I thought about switching to Black/Blue, since I had never even considered that option, but I showed my blue cards to the player that beat me and he said that they weren't as good as the white I had.

Edit: Oh yeah, my last two matches were both against White/Black, so I really should have removed those Lampads, but I never thought of doing that until a few hours after leaving the store...
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #3716 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:31 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

Thats pretty close to my list, I think, though I definitely would be playing more white and less black, probably to the point where I could play 10-7 in favor of plains.

Emisary is ok, I think its pretty clearly not a bomb.

Cards that I don't think are very good:
Thoughtseize
scourgemark
Ordeal of Erabos
Grey Merchant
Cavalry Pegasus

I'd replace them with:
Legonna-band elder
Ray of Dissolution
yoked ox (I know this seems like a weird choice, but what your deck is basically trying to do is take the game late and win with your bombs and superior removal. This card helps you get there)
Soldier of the pantheon (not amazing, and its ability isnt really going to be relevent. But its a 2/1 for one. That's playable on its own. You're playing a 2/1 for 2 that does less things than this guy does. All the text written on it is just a bonus.)
Ephara's warden
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #3717 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:35 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

went black, pulled a Thoughtseize + Hero's downfall, went 3-1 with Esper (white for Divine Verdict, Sentry of the Underworld, Gift of Immortality etc. and blue for 2x flying-bestow, griptide, horizon scholar, etc.). also, the artifact mana elk was amazingly useful.

only match I lost was to an insanely fast Boros deck. won game 1, lost game 2 on turn 3/4*, lost a close game 3. had him at 6, I was at ~4, he had four attackers and I had two blockers. d-verdict'd something with a red enchantment to drop him below devotion for his attacking Purphoros, went to one. lost to a topdecked creature. should have verdict'd the creature in question sooner but I got greedy. oh well.

got four packs, pulled nothing special (polish crusher, whip of erebos, nykthos, soldier of the pantheon). traded my spare anger of the gods for another soldier, pre-ordered two more for $7. also got some Firedrinker Satyrs for $1.50 per which I thought was pretty good, even if it ends up being bad it'll be hyped up and maybe I can trade them for some goodstuff. and now I have the choice between mono red or white for release day.

*I was on the draw.
T1 Land, Hoplite (1/2, Heroic = +1 counter & till-eot damage prevention)
T1 Land, go
T2 Land, Ordeal of Purphoros (bolt-on-a-stick). 2/3 Hoplite. Swing, trigger, 3/4 Hoplite [17-20]
T2 Land, go
T3 Land, Minotaur Firstblade-or-something (2/2, EOT +2/0 and haste). Swing, ordeal trigger (4/5 hoplite), bolt to face [14-20], take 8 [6-20]
T3 Land... ... ... scoop.
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
kdowns
kdowns
He
Goddammit
kdowns
He
Goddammit
Goddammit
Pronoun: He

Post Post #3718 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:37 pm

Post by kdowns »

In post 3711, nhammen wrote:I participated in my first pre-release ever today. I went 0-4 with cards that I thought were good. Maybe my selection was bad. I had a tough time deciding which two of White, Blue, and Black I should use and maybe I chose wrong. Well, I guess I should link to a list and see what you think. (and here is were you see just how bad I am at creating a Magic deck)

What store did you end up going to? Asgard or 3rd coast?
kdowns
kdowns
He
Goddammit
kdowns
He
Goddammit
Goddammit
Pronoun: He

Post Post #3719 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:37 pm

Post by kdowns »

In post 3711, nhammen wrote:I participated in my first pre-release ever today. I went 0-4 with cards that I thought were good. Maybe my selection was bad. I had a tough time deciding which two of White, Blue, and Black I should use and maybe I chose wrong. Well, I guess I should link to a list and see what you think. (and here is were you see just how bad I am at creating a Magic deck)

What store did you end up going to? Asgard or 3rd coast?
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #3720 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:46 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

(11:43:45 PM) Shea: Yeah
(11:43:51 PM) Shea: Maybe 9-8 is right
(11:44:02 PM) Shea: I literally put 2 minutes of thought into this
(11:44:22 PM) blargerer: wait
(11:44:32 PM) blargerer: did he only run 1 slip of hemlock
(11:44:36 PM) blargerer: didn't his pool have 3?
(11:44:41 PM) blargerer: sip*
(11:44:54 PM) blargerer: welp
(11:44:58 PM) blargerer: it did and he did
(11:45:05 PM) blargerer: that was like the mai nreason to be black
(11:45:52 PM) Shea: ...
(11:45:54 PM) Shea: oh man
(11:45:58 PM) Shea: I didnt even notice that
(11:46:02 PM) Shea: I just assumed he ran all three
nhammen
nhammen
Mafia Scum
nhammen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3721 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:58 pm

Post by nhammen »

I ran two and took one out after the first match, because I didn't have enough creatures and had hands that did nothing. Probably should have taken something else out. Or just chalked those two matches up to bad luck and kept trying with what I had. Since I took two things out that you would have used.

@kdowns: Montag's
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #3722 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:03 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 3721, nhammen wrote:I ran two and took one out after the first match, because I didn't have enough creatures and had hands that did nothing. Probably should have taken something else out. Or just chalked those two matches up to bad luck and kept trying with what I had. Since I took two things out that you would have used.

@kdowns: Montag's
There is a very reasonable chance that you didn't have enough guys, but you should have taken out your do nothing black auras, or even the bb deal 2's, before the 1 enchantment removal and 2 hard removals.
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3723 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:50 pm

Post by Debonair Danny DiPietro »

(12:40:34 AM) Danny DiPietro: got back from Theros PR 2HG sealed
(12:42:42 AM) Danny DiPietro: me and my brother were the only 4-0 team but unfortunately 17 people meant there were 5 rounds which meant we lost in the fifth and dropped from 1st place (2 boxes of Theros) to 2nd (1 box of Theros)
(12:44:14 AM) thesheamuffin: Why didnt you split?
(12:45:11 AM) Danny DiPietro: they weren't undefeated
(12:45:30 AM) Danny DiPietro: they were 3-1, so we couldn't offer a draw/chop with them because a draw would've sent them to 4th
(12:46:41 AM) thesheamuffin: Sounds shitty
(12:47:14 AM) thesheamuffin: anything good in the box?
(12:48:05 AM) Danny DiPietro: my brother pulled the Thoughtseize and the UB Planeswalker, I pulled the devotion land, the RB mythic, and a foil Ember Swallower which I now have a playset of
(12:48:23 AM) Danny DiPietro: and I pulled the worst of the Gods (white)
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #3724 (ISO) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:37 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

white god actually seems like it'll be okay

I'd say Nylea or maybe Erebos is worse
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.

Return to “The Arcade”