[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #6775 (ISO) » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:39 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

In post 6774, Plessiez wrote:It's townsided, as Leafsnail points out (and, since there's no communicating mafia faction, I think it's not really mafia?). But it's also misnamed, surely. Wouldn't a better fit for the name "Monty hall mafia" involve the mod revealing that one of the players not on the lynch was VT, and then giving the players the chance to switch or not switch from the original lynch? (This has the same problems though, as far as EV goes).
As it's listed as a 3 player game, that would be the same person.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Plessiez
Plessiez
Goon
Plessiez
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6776 (ISO) » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:57 am

Post by Plessiez »

In post 6775, Cheery Dog wrote:
In post 6774, Plessiez wrote:It's townsided, as Leafsnail points out (and, since there's no communicating mafia faction, I think it's not really mafia?). But it's also misnamed, surely. Wouldn't a better fit for the name "Monty hall mafia" involve the mod revealing that one of the players not on the lynch was VT, and then giving the players the chance to switch or not switch from the original lynch? (This has the same problems though, as far as EV goes).
As it's listed as a 3 player game, that would be the same person.
.. oh, right. I meant "one of the people
other than
the lynch". (In the same way that the Monty Hall problem involves picking a door and then having the host reveal the lack of prize behind one of the other two doors.)
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #6777 (ISO) » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:00 pm

Post by BBmolla »

In post 6774, Plessiez wrote:Do the mafia know the identity of the traitor?
No.
@thesupertriomusical on Instagram, come see it if you’re in LA area, I wrote it!
Leafsnail
Leafsnail
Goon
Leafsnail
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6778 (ISO) » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:58 pm

Post by Leafsnail »

In post 6774, Plessiez wrote: It's townsided, as Leafsnail points out (and, since there's no communicating mafia faction, I think it's not really mafia?). But it's also misnamed, surely. Wouldn't a better fit for the name "Monty hall mafia" involve the mod revealing that one of the players
not
on the lynch was VT, and then giving the players the chance to switch or not switch from the original lynch? (This has the same problems though, as far as EV goes.)
I guess it would be pretty funny to see the mafia subtley jestering
Kaiveran
Kaiveran
Goon
Kaiveran
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6779 (ISO) » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:07 am

Post by Kaiveran »

Reopening my setup for consideration.

It is an experimental multiball setup based on C9++. Unlike that setup though, it is Modular Open, particularly with respect to the town roles.

To people who saw the original
, sorry for endlessly fucking around with it earlier and not allowing anyone who was trying to review the chance to meaningfully comment. Most of the changes I instituted were a disaster anyway so I've pretty much scaled things back to the way they were. I can assure you it's staying like it is right now.

The main issues I want solved:

1. The swinginess seems strong with this one. Look at how loaded the town can get with powers in those example setups. One of the more important roles or combo roles dying can be a huge hit to the hunting efforts against a particular scumteam. It seems that the best way to alleviate this is to add more townies and expand the setup, but I'm not exactly sure how many to add, and subsequently how to balance the game for the increased number of townies. I basically copied most things whole sale from other generative setups, so any input on that front from people more experienced designing these kinds of setups would be appreciated (if any of them are still around, that is.)

2. I've been trying the properly balance the Universal Roles for a long time, but never have come across something satisfactory. In fact, I don't think anything will ever mitigate the OP possibility of Power Roles in a Masonry. Something tells me it'd be best to just excise that portion of the game, but then it's just a pure Twofold offshoot. It could help with the swinginess, though. I'd like some input from the community as to what option is best.
I'm meowing
AT
you, not
WITH
you
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6780 (ISO) » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:57 am

Post by Siveure DtTrikyp »

I've an idea

It involved mutliple treestump lynchers.
1 of these is on mafia.

Edit: Okay, so to put this better.

Normal setup (possibly just some mountaineous) +
2x treestump lyncher on town.
1x treestump lyncher on mafia.
Each lyncher has to be the first to lynch their particular target to win.

Where my thoughts went after seeing the guy who suggested spectators to a game.
Last edited by Siveure DtTrikyp on Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
notscience
notscience
Survivor
notscience
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6781 (ISO) » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:43 am

Post by notscience »

So, I had an idea regarding the townsided Popcorn Mafia setup.

Make whoever shoots the gun automatically die regardless of who is shot, scum get a day to decide who gets the gun next. That way, scum go out 1 for 1 rather than 1 for none.

Would that probably make it less townsided?
Kaiveran
Kaiveran
Goon
Kaiveran
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6782 (ISO) » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:42 am

Post by Kaiveran »

In post 6781, notscience wrote:So, I had an idea regarding the townsided Popcorn Mafia setup.

Make whoever shoots the gun automatically die regardless of who is shot, scum get a day to decide who gets the gun next. That way, scum go out 1 for 1 rather than 1 for none.

Depends, not exactly understanding what you mean. Do you mean the scum still get to choose a new gunbearer if a townie is targeted, or does the transfer still take effect?

Also is my setup really so horrible as to not even deserve consideration :?
I'm meowing
AT
you, not
WITH
you
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6783 (ISO) » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:18 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 6779, Kaiveran wrote:Reopening my setup for consideration.

It is an experimental multiball setup based on C9++. Unlike that setup though, it is Modular Open, particularly with respect to the town roles.
I will look over it more later.

Your original one was interesting and makes use of two things that tend to be popular in opens (C9++ and Multiball) but was a little... over the top. Was still trying to make notes on it.
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
Kaiveran
Kaiveran
Goon
Kaiveran
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6784 (ISO) » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:35 pm

Post by Kaiveran »

In post 6783, LlamaFluff wrote: I will look over it more later.

Your original one was interesting and makes use of two things that tend to be popular in opens (C9++ and Multiball) but was a little... over the top. Was still trying to make notes on it.
Yeah, just stopping by to say thanks a lot.

And I'm sorry for making it bad for you the flurry of changes and stuff. It wasn't ready to present back then and I shoud have realized that before I posted it.

G'night!
I'm meowing
AT
you, not
WITH
you
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #6785 (ISO) » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:55 pm

Post by BBmolla »

What is a spy
@thesupertriomusical on Instagram, come see it if you’re in LA area, I wrote it!
notscience
notscience
Survivor
notscience
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6786 (ISO) » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:02 pm

Post by notscience »

In post 6782, Kaiveran wrote:
In post 6781, notscience wrote:So, I had an idea regarding the townsided Popcorn Mafia setup.

Depends, not exactly understanding what you mean. Do you mean the scum still get to choose a new gunbearer if a townie is targeted, or does the transfer still take effect?

Transfer if town is shot.
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #6787 (ISO) » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:39 am

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

4 3p lylo Vengeful Townies
2 Mafia Goons

The mafia have daytalk. No lynch is a scum win. The 3p lylo vengeful townies have a vengeful shot in 3-player lylo. Nightkills and vengeful shots are compulsive.

The number of nightkills the mafia get is the number of kills necessary to get the game to lylo. For example, if a goon is lynched on day 1, the mafia get two nightkills. If it's lylo at the start of a night, the mafia have to turn a townie into a vanilla townie. Townies are notified when losing their vengeful ability.

-----

If a goon was lynched on day 1, the chances of mafia winning if all lynches and vengeful shots are random are 33%.

If a townie was lynched on day 1, the townie who lost his vengeful ability and a goon should both claim to be turned into a vanilla townie (unless the mafia are convinced they can get one of the vengeful townies lynched and he'll shoot the other vengeful townie). The odds of scum winning the 1v1 are 50/50. If the counterclaiming goon gets lynched, the townie who lost his vengeful ability is killed and the chances of mafia winning on day 3 are 33%.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #6788 (ISO) » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:17 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

That sounded good up until mafia being forced to fakeclaim.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #6789 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:33 am

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

they don't have to, but it's the logical thing to do in most cases

if two townies are tunneling each other the mafia could confirm the third one

that way, they don't have to claim, but it's risky

if they do intend to claim, the mafia can pick the lynchee. both vengeful townies have to pick right to win
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6790 (ISO) » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:43 am

Post by saulres »

Coming out of the joking in the "Cops Must Go the Way of the Buffalo" thread, I present
Too Many Mods
for discussion.

Numbers subject to change, but currently thinking 9 for Micro Goodness.

7 town mods, 2 scum mods.

The in-game setup is maybe 3 town PRs and 4 VTs, 1 scum PR and 1 goon. Everyone knows what the PRs are. Each player-mod distributes the roles however they'd like, and PMs those distributions to the meta-mod. If there are any duplicates of the scum pairings the meta-mod ask for redos. Once approved, the meta-mod posts all the setups publicly, along with who picked them. Then, the meta-mod randomly selects two players to be the scum-mods.

The game then plays as normal. When it gets to ANY setup's victory condition, it ends. If the setup which ended the game is one the scum-mods set up, they win, otherwise town-mods win.

Scum-mods get one nightkill per night. All PRs take effect only if everyone alive with the same PR chooses the same target. Results are for the high-level mod game, not the in-game setups.
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #6791 (ISO) » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:22 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

I've read that three times now and all I can say is what?

How are roles even distributed?
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6792 (ISO) » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:44 pm

Post by saulres »

Think of each player as a mod running the same open setup with the same player list, which includes themselves.

The exception is, instead of randomizing the roles, they assign them to the players of their choice.

Each player's goal is to end the game by coming to an end-game resolution created by someone in their faction.
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6793 (ISO) » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:52 pm

That sounds hilarious. And also somewhat silly. It looks like scum can win n1 if one of the people they have for scum is lynched. Oh god. It seems simple if town can peg everyone who scumpicked a particular player as town.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #6794 (ISO) » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:55 pm

Post by Vi »

Night-kill trivializes setup. Scum should win on Night 2 unless both scum are dead before then by making themselves Town in their own distributions and NKing their distribution's scum.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6795 (ISO) » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:56 pm

Wait, what happens if 2 games arrive at a win for a faction at the same time, one belonging to a town-mod and one to a scum-mod?
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #6796 (ISO) » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:57 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

In post 6792, saulres wrote:Think of each player as a mod running the same open setup with the same player list, which includes themselves.

The exception is, instead of randomizing the roles, they assign them to the players of their choice.

Each player's goal is to end the game by coming to an end-game resolution created by someone in their faction.
What's the incentive to scumhunt / lynch? Players are both scum and town simultaneously? What?
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #6797 (ISO) » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:59 pm

Post by Vi »

On the other hand the chance of the game reaching Night 2 is very small..

By numbers scum should win N1 4/9 times by predicting the D1 lynch. If the game reaches D2 it comes down to following who claims to have a winning lynch and, if there are more than one, who seems most trustworthy.

That means it's not trivial but still fairly scum-sided... I think.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6798 (ISO) » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:02 pm

In post 6796, TheButtonmen wrote:
In post 6792, saulres wrote:Think of each player as a mod running the same open setup with the same player list, which includes themselves.

What's the incentive to scumhunt / lynch? Players are both scum and town simultaneously? What?
It looks like you have to lynch the scummembers chosen by a town-mod. The mod-game is the one that really matters, beyond that it doesn't.
In post 6794, Vi wrote:Night-kill trivializes setup. Scum should win on Night 2 unless both scum are dead before then by making themselves Town in their own distributions and NKing their distribution's scum.
You choose your setup before you know that you're scum, or even who your scumpartner is, so that could maybe alleviate this problem a bit.

But the game seems like it can be unwinnable for town if everyone but one scum picks player A as scum and that scum picks any pair at all.
Kaiveran
Kaiveran
Goon
Kaiveran
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6799 (ISO) » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:11 pm

Post by Kaiveran »

In post 6785, BBmolla wrote:What is a spy
Role from the original incarnation of C9++ (wolf equivalent is Shaman). He could seer a "Role Class" of any player; for example, if he investigated a Cop, he would get a C (or "Investigator") result, if he investigated a Doc, he would get a D (or "Protector") result, etc.. In this game I would also have him detect opposing scum, perhaps at some other price, pending the commentary of reviewers. Speaking of which...

@LlamaFluff: How's the review going? Anything I could do to make it easier?

In post 6786, notscience wrote:
In post 6782, Kaiveran wrote:

Transfer if town is shot.
Yeah, that seems the most balanced to me. I'd be willing to participate in a trial run of this.
I'm meowing
AT
you, not
WITH
you

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”