Ultimate Videogame Topic 3: The Next Generation

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #550 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:13 am

Post by Brandi »

Reck you should get Dragon age Origins if you ever see it on sale. (But not the sequel) I think you'll find it's different than fallout and Skyrim. (Though if you have played New Vegas and didn't like it then I'm less confident in that assertion)
Unlike Skyrim and Fallout 3 it has excellent characters, voice acting and writing. The game play is difficult enough to be a challenge.

When I played Skyrim despite all the quests and characters I felt so... lonely. Everyone felt so artificial and stale. I could not get immersed, even visually with the highest graphical settings. The combat is just too boring and despite having several novels worth of dialogue it seemed the game was more of a "quantity" than "quality"...

Dragon age though, it's made me feel things I've never felt while playing a WRPG before. Some of the characters are complete dicks/bitches and I HATE them for their personalities and yet... they made me feel these things for a fictional character. Not something I can say about a lot of other games. Then there are some actual grey and grey morality choices where it actually would just be your personal opinion of what you're doing is right or wrong. (I've seen 10+ page debates on what was the "correct moral decision" for certain parts of the game and I still haven't come to a conclusion)

I could go on about it, but basically Dragon Age is the best thing I've played in years and I'm still not even finished with it but I'm likely going to do multiple playthroughs with different races/genders. DA is also the first game that's made me want to actually go and make a male character just for the different dialogue and interactions.
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #551 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:53 am

Post by GuyInFreezer »

Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #552 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:58 am

Post by zoraster »

i liked dragon age origins a lot, but i will say that it did not exactly go against fantasy tropes (the dwarves are ax swingers who live in mountains, the elves are arches who live in the forest, etc). But it feels epic, there's intrigue, and you're constantly propelled down a story-path without feeling like you're just treading water.
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #553 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:08 am

Post by Natirasha »

Yeah, DAO isn't really unique--it follows the 'Bioware flowchart' pretty much exactly and is mostly generic fantasyland, but its also really really well-written and an enjoyable tromp. The combat is kinda boring unless you like the old isometric style stuff(I don't), but you can turn it in easy and just breeze through. Its also the last good game Bioware made before EA really took them over.
Natirasha is just a vestige, it's Contessa now.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #554 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:10 am

Post by Nero Cain »

Dragon Age Origins was great.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #555 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:13 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 553, Natirasha wrote:Yeah, DAO isn't really unique--it follows the 'Bioware flowchart' pretty much exactly and is mostly generic fantasyland, but its also really really well-written and an enjoyable tromp. The combat is kinda boring unless you like the old isometric style stuff(I don't), but you can turn it in easy and just breeze through. Its also the last good game Bioware made before EA really took them over.
I thought ME2 was good. I wish I could play ME3 without getting motion sick.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #556 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:27 am

Post by Umbrage »

ME3 was a great game, it just happened to be a great UNFINISHED game.

I've never been able to get into DAO. It's fun enough, just hasn't grabbed me like Mass Effect did.
I'll explain it to you. You have to get someone else to understand it for you.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #557 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:32 am

Post by Nero Cain »

I'm like the only person that liked Jade Empire. DAO and ME is better but still enjoyed JE.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #558 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:47 am

Post by bv310 »

In post 550, Brandi wrote:Reck you should get Dragon age Origins if you ever see it on sale. (But not the sequel) I think you'll find it's different than fallout and Skyrim. (Though if you have played New Vegas and didn't like it then I'm less confident in that assertion)
Unlike Skyrim and Fallout 3 it has excellent characters, voice acting and writing. The game play is difficult enough to be a challenge.

When I played Skyrim despite all the quests and characters I felt so... lonely. Everyone felt so artificial and stale. I could not get immersed, even visually with the highest graphical settings. The combat is just too boring and despite having several novels worth of dialogue it seemed the game was more of a "quantity" than "quality"...

Dragon age though, it's made me feel things I've never felt while playing a WRPG before. Some of the characters are complete dicks/bitches and I HATE them for their personalities and yet... they made me feel these things for a fictional character. Not something I can say about a lot of other games. Then there are some actual grey and grey morality choices where it actually would just be your personal opinion of what you're doing is right or wrong. (I've seen 10+ page debates on what was the "correct moral decision" for certain parts of the game and I still haven't come to a conclusion)

I could go on about it, but basically Dragon Age is the best thing I've played in years and I'm still not even finished with it but I'm likely going to do multiple playthroughs with different races/genders. DA is also the first game that's made me want to actually go and make a male character just for the different dialogue and interactions.
Definitely agree with this, though I'd also recommend DA2 for a different experience in the same world. The two are really separate games, though, and 2 feels rushed, but it's worth a runthrough if you can pick it up for cheap.

I'm psyched for Inquisition coming out this year. Should be nice to tie up some of the loose story ends that the last two games had.
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #559 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:56 am

Post by Natirasha »

In post 555, zoraster wrote:I thought ME2 was good. I wish I could play ME3 without getting motion sick.
I just don't really like the direction Bioware went after DAO. Like, they make good games still, but they're just not for me.
Natirasha is just a vestige, it's Contessa now.
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #560 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:17 am

Post by Brandi »

Yeah I don't think the formula for DOA was unique, but I think it executed it well. Though I don't think everything needs to be unique to have merit. I personally like that it doesn't get super silly with "a rose by any other name" archetypes.
Also I find the combat super fun. But maybe that's because on some parts I die a LOT and really have to think about how to do things/position properly to succeed.

I can think of one part of DOA that I really don't like.
The Fade
...but even though there is DLC to skip that part.. I don't think I would want to use it. Still. It was pretty annoying. :c
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #561 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:30 am

Post by Umbrage »

In [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5702041#p5702041]post 557[/url], Nero Cain wrote:I'm like the only person that liked Jade Empire. DAO and ME is better but still enjoyed JE.
I have JE, and it looked cool but I couldn't handle the awful controls.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #562 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:54 am

Post by Iecerint »

The Fade is my favorite part of DAO. I guess it's a long dungeon in the middle of a long dungeon, so I can understand the fatigue.

DA2 is so heartbreaking. So much promise, so much obvious lack of completion. The DA2 DLC is A++, too; it gives a sense of how it might have been if they'd had a proper schedule.
Kcdaspot
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #563 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:29 am

Post by Kcdaspot »

i dunno about this..
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #564 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:16 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

You're welcome, Brandi :)

I really loved DAO- it's formula for sure, but it does good and interesting things with the formula. Tropes are not bad, after all.

I actually really like DA2, as well, I just think it really suffers in the comparison to the original. It's not a bad game, and it improves on some stuff, but it also cuts out a lot of the tactics and difficulty of the original. I have to agree, though, that Legacy especially demonstrates what Bioware could have done with the base game.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #565 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:05 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

Has anyone here played The Witcher 2?

TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #566 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:17 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

Played it, found it very bland. The story is completely uninteresting and the combat was fun at first but is extremely repetitive and easy.
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #567 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:54 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

So I should prob not get it. Thanks

Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #568 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:57 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

I can't even get through Witcher 1. The controls are driving me batty.
Retired as of October 2014.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #569 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:41 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 565, Nero Cain wrote:Has anyone here played The Witcher 2?
I played it. I really, really enjoyed the story and the world, but the combat frustrated me quite a bit and I just threw it on easy so I could get through it.

I much preferred Witcher 1, which had a much more understandable combat system.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #570 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:42 pm

Post by Umbrage »

I haven't played Witcher 1, and I feel really guilty about that.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #571 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:49 pm

Post by Iecerint »

In post 564, Sudo_Nym wrote:I actually really like DA2, as well, I just think it really suffers in the comparison to the original. It's not a bad game, and it improves on some stuff, but it also cuts out a lot of the tactics and difficulty of the original. I have to agree, though, that Legacy especially demonstrates what Bioware could have done with the base game.
Yeah, I like DA2, but I can't help but feel really sad while enjoying it. It's kind of like playing disc 2 of Xenogears, only a more extreme version of that, because in Xenogears your thoughts are pretty divided between FEELS and noticing that the cutscene started 2 hours ago.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #572 (ISO) » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:57 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 570, Umbrage wrote:I haven't played Witcher 1, and I feel really guilty about that.
The first game's existence and the trouble I've had playing through it is the reason I haven't played the 2nd one yet.
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #573 (ISO) » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:19 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

Starting the 23rd, Nintendo Point cards are 20% off at Best Buy. Again.

So I'm probably spending $40 of my $50 card to get Bravely Default and use the extra $10 to maybe get some cheap game like Pushmo/Crashmo. Might even grab a $20 card so I can check out some other small games and still pay for my year of PokeBank.
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #574 (ISO) » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:20 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

GET PUSHMO
green shirt thursdays

Return to “The Arcade”