Mini 1555 Board Game UPick Mafia--Game Over!

SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:15 pm

Post by SpyreX »

I like the idea of the charter. At heart is that basic precept that seems to get lost so often: if town, play like town so scum have to actually play the game to win the game.

However, as a total shocker TM the concepts are lost in quibbling over legalese that shadows doing stuff.
You might as well park your vote on ffery and I then. Because we're not going to stop scumhunting in the manner that works for us just because you think it's not the best method.
What do you actually think about what he's saying as the concept?
The charter lynch order is disagreeable.
Its contents, dull. I refuse to sign it in full.

Vote: morph the cat
No vote better than that.
Which is the disagreeable part? Cause I'll put hard money on a group of town that systematically purges scum and lurkers until only they remain AT THAT POINT wins waaaay more often then not. Or, at the least, gets beat by actual maneuvering and not herpaderpa wooo .

BUT those are both actually doin stuff
VOTE: porkens

politics are bad
Scum Hiplop to Queens Noose 1

Unvote, Vote: Hiplop
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:21 pm

Post by Porkens »

I am sorry, Morph. I don't know why that happened. Same question, though.

Madotsuki, I think we should hang everyone who looks like scum, and I think going through the process of drafting the charter will help us figure out who isn't helpful and needs to die first.
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:22 pm

Post by Porkens »

SpyreX, I'm counting on you to help me with the language and explain to these guys why this makes sense.
Kdub
Kdub
Mafia Scum
Kdub
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:22 pm

Post by Kdub »

I remember charter. I was scum with him once, I think.

VOTE: awesomeusername
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Mafia - 17-player large theme, currently needs (0) replacements
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:23 pm

Post by Porkens »

how about this:

-Members of the charter are required to post one relevant, new idea per game day.
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:25 pm

Post by SpyreX »

Let it shake out. Don't strangle the soup.

Sup Kdub. You sunk my battleship!
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:27 pm

Post by Porkens »

I mean just think of everything you'd love if every player did:

-Members of the charter must respond to what's happening in the game in a reasonable way.
-Members of the charter must read the game.

ohareyouguysmasons?
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:27 pm

Post by Porkens »

ok, ok, letting it shake out
morph the cat
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
Sync Achieved

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:29 pm

Post by morph the cat »

In post 26, Porkens wrote:I am sorry, Morph. I don't know why that happened. Same question, though.
I don't disagree that some very blantantly antitown elements have somehow worked themselves into site meta snd that supressing this idiocracy is an ideal worth striving for. I do disagree that allowing those who agree with those points a free pass in the early game is a good idea.
morph the cat
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
Sync Achieved

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:30 pm

Post by morph the cat »

In post 31, Porkens wrote:-Members of the charter must respond to what's happening in the game in a reasonable way.
Like this for instance is something you'll get from us regardless of this chartner bussiness.
The Betting Pool
The Betting Pool
Goon
The Betting Pool
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:30 pm

Post by The Betting Pool »

Vote Count 1.01:

With 13 alive, it takes 7 to lynch!

LastManStanding (L-7):
morph the cat (L-5): Hadrian, Madotsuki
Madotsuki (L-7):
Porkens (L-6): hiplop
Quill (L-7):
SpyreX (L-7):
HighShroomish (L-7):
hiplop (L-6): Spyrex
awesomeusername (L-6): Kdub
Kdub (L-7):
Surye (L-7):
1baldeagle1 (L-7):
Hadrian (L-7):

Not Voting: LastManStanding, morph the cat, Porkens, Quill, HighShroomish, awesomeusername, Surye, 1baldeagle1

V/LA:

Deadline is in (expired on 2014-03-12 19:16:41)
morph the cat
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
Sync Achieved

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:32 pm

Post by morph the cat »

In post 25, SpyreX wrote:What do you actually think about what he's saying as the concept?
Other head here. I think that the procedure and process of putting together, agreeing on and enforcing a charter would give scum a lot of room for posting stuff that doesn't move the game state forward. I also think it would be a rare charter group that could avoid being infiltrated by at least one scum.

So, though I approve of goodposting and players generating good content upon which to be judged, I wouldn't encourage developing a charter, and I wouldn't feel bound to vote according to a charter-group's list of criteria.
Kdub
Kdub
Mafia Scum
Kdub
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:45 pm

Post by Kdub »

In post 30, SpyreX wrote:Sup Kdub. You
sunk
shanked my
battleship
jengaship!

4:15

(It's annoying that you can't link to specific parts of youtube videos)
Porkens wrote:I mean just think of everything you'd love if every player did:

-Members of the charter must respond to what's happening in the game in a reasonable way.
Who decides what's reasonable? If it's based on general sentiment among the other players, I'd argue that this happens anyway and the charter is pointless.
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Mafia - 17-player large theme, currently needs (0) replacements
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:57 pm

Post by Porkens »

In post 33, morph the cat wrote:
In post 26, Porkens wrote:I am sorry, Morph. I don't know why that happened. Same question, though.
I don't disagree that some very blantantly antitown elements have somehow worked themselves into site meta snd that supressing this idiocracy is an ideal worth striving for. I do disagree that allowing those who agree with those points a free pass in the early game is a good idea.
I absolutely agree with both points, and I appreciate you taking the time to make them. I do not intend the charter to give a free pass to anyone at any point, but rather to force everyone to play to a higher standard. If someone agrees to the charter (and therefore the points in the charter) doesn't uphold them, they are out and go back to the lynch-first pool.
In post 34, morph the cat wrote:
In post 31, Porkens wrote:-Members of the charter must respond to what's happening in the game in a reasonable way.
Like this for instance is something you'll get from us regardless of this chartner bussiness.
If by "us" you mean your hydra, then I make no dispute. However, if by "us" you mean all the players in the game, I have to disagree, especially in the early game.
In post 36, morph the cat wrote:
In post 25, SpyreX wrote:What do you actually think about what he's saying as the concept?
Other head here. I think that the procedure and process of putting together, agreeing on and enforcing a charter would give scum a lot of room for posting stuff that doesn't move the game state forward. I also think it would be a rare charter group that could avoid being infiltrated by at least one scum.

So, though I approve of goodposting and players generating good content upon which to be judged, I wouldn't encourage developing a charter, and I wouldn't feel bound to vote according to a charter-group's list of criteria.
I think the process of putting together, agreeing on, and enforcing a charter would give the scum very little room for posting stuff that doesn't move the game state forward, as the creation and follow-through of the charter would do exactly that; move the game state forward. That's why I brought the idea up. I think it gives the scum (and the chaff, lets not pretend that's not part of this) less in-thread garbage to hide behind.

I'm not proposing kingmaking or even townblocking in the traditional sense. And I 100% agree with you that it's very likely at least one scum will end up as members of the charter. However, at least they will be forced to act in a pro-town way. Perhaps we could put in a dissolution clause into the charter that would disband it once certain conditions were met?
In post 37, Kdub wrote: Who decides what's reasonable? If it's based on general sentiment among the other players, I'd argue that this happens anyway and the charter is pointless.
You can link to specific parts, google it!

I'd again argue that it doesn't happen anyway, not efficiently or reliably enough. It doesn't seem to, anyway. The charter members would agree to what is reasonable.
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:57 pm

Post by Porkens »

I'm gone for a bit. Converse amongst yourselves.
Quill
Quill
Goon
Quill
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:10 pm

Post by Quill »

I don't like the idea of the charter having "members" and "non-members." This seems to me like we're dodging the point. If this charter gets set up in a decent way, not adhering to it should be scummy, not "non-member-y." No need to set up false dichotomies when we've already got a real dichotomy to worry about. We go after people who look like scum and/or are acting anti-town. All this charter needs to do is establish what we see as "pro-town" behavior and we can take care of the rest.

All in all, though, I like the idea. It's a nice change to wasting time with RVS.
Porkens wrote:how about this:

-Members of the charter are required to post one relevant, new idea per game day.
This is my favorite of Porkens' proposed expansions, and should be integrated right away, with the caveat that it be for everyone as I've elucidated above.

As an addition of my own, can we have a clause about giving reasons for votes when we make them? I'm not saying it'll necessarily trip up scum, but in the last game I played there was a distractive kerfuffle over the practice of votes first, reasons later (which, in the interest of full disclosure, I did myself on accident, although I wasn't the actual subject of the discussion), and it wasn't the most productive way things could have gone. Having to be on the record might be annoying early on, but it might be helpful in the long run.

EBWOP: In response to Morph's concerns, I think it's clear that this charter can't and won't be made up only of town players if we do in fact go forward with the whole members/non-members thing. That's why I think we should give up on the idea of members altogether and just keep this as a sort of code of conduct.
HighShroomish
HighShroomish
Goon
HighShroomish
Goon
Goon

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:25 pm

Post by HighShroomish »

Two pages already. Damn. On the subject of the charter- uhhh no. It gives scum a chance to sign up to survive much longer. Simply by signing up, they are gauranteed safety among the members. How could you not see that the moment you drafted the charter, specifically the lynch-list.

In post 38-
Playing along the rules of your charter are what scum is trying to do one way or another. Just because they are in your charter doesn't mean they'll play much differently, and again, they have protection.

Scum is supposed to be playing like town. They will always try to be pro-town. Charter or no charter.

There are two reasons why I think you might really be doing this. And I'm not liking the town one so far.

And I like quill's thought of a general code, but sometimes votes are because of the same reason. Not everyone is going to have a different reason, so that really couldn't work. The thing about at least one good post a day, that's all about what you deem as a good post, unless they are blatantly useless, which I doubt scum would really let happen.
1baldeagle1
1baldeagle1
Mafia Scum
1baldeagle1
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:49 pm

Post by 1baldeagle1 »

In post 12, Porkens wrote:Hi, I hate meta and pedantic arguments that make the game hard to read. I think the biggest reason scum wins games is because town doesn’t work together. I have a radical idea. Let’s form a charter for this game to promise to play well together.
Charter wrote:In the interests of playing a fun game and rolling the hell out of the scum, we, the undersigned (charter members), hereby pledge to play Mini 1555 Board Game UPick Mafia in a manner (defined below) that we as a group believe will expose the scum and the anti-town elements of the game.
1. We will work together to draft the particulars of this charter.
2. We will participate in a useful and pro-town way.
3. We will participate regularly. We will not lurk.
4. We will strive to uphold the spirit of the rules of Mafiascum.net and this game.
5. We will not clutter the thread with pedantic arguments or he-said/she-said nonsense.
6. We will allow any player who has demonstrated consistent effort to maintain the above principles into the charter group.
7. We will eject any charter member who does not demonstrate effort to maintain the above principles.
8. We will follow the following lynch procedure:
a. Non-members the charter sees as scummy.
b. Non-members the charter sees as anti-town.
c. All other non-members.
d. Members seen as scummy.
9. One member will keep a list of the official charter memebership in their posts.

Signed:
Porkens
It's not pretty yet, but we will make it so. Help me draft this you guys.
No, this sucks. Actually, I find this scummy. You are trying to take control of the town by making a "charter" in which it gives the scum a good hiding spot. So, you are basically give you and your scumbuddies a hiding spot. You are clueless scum and you need to be lynched.

VOTE: Porkens

As for everyone else, no one else seems scummy. According to meta, I'd say morph is town, but I'm not confident enough to actually call morph town. Sprex seems town. Everyone else is null.
You can find my meta on my wiki.
Kdub
Kdub
Mafia Scum
Kdub
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:54 pm

Post by Kdub »

In post 38, Porkens wrote:You can link to specific parts, google it!
You can do it normally, but I don't think you can embed it on MS and have it start at a specific time, unless you know of a way...

UNVOTE:
VOTE: HighShroomish

The tone of bugs me. It feels like you are trying to overly justify your opposition to the charter.
morph the cat
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
Sync Achieved

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:58 pm

Post by morph the cat »

In post 42, 1baldeagle1 wrote:No, this sucks. Actually, I find this scummy. You are trying to take control of the town by making a "charter" in which it gives the scum a good hiding spot. So, you are basically give you
and your scumbuddies
a hiding spot. You are
clueless
scum and you need to be lynched.
1. What is the "hiding spot"?
2. Explain the bolded.
3. Explain who you define as his buddies in the italicized.
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:06 pm

Post by Porkens »

In post 40, Quill wrote:I don't like the idea of the charter having "members" and "non-members." This seems to me like we're dodging the point. If this charter gets set up in a decent way, not adhering to it should be scummy, not "non-member-y." No need to set up false dichotomies when we've already got a real dichotomy to worry about. We go after people who look like scum and/or are acting anti-town. All this charter needs to do is establish what we see as "pro-town" behavior and we can take care of the rest.
The whole idea is just to hold people accountable to playing in a pro-town way (or at least not to play in an anti-town way). My intent with the "membership" language was to keep a record of people who had participated in, and agreed to, the list of standards that the charter embodies. It would be like taking a pledge: "I promise to play well, as defined by these terms. If I don't, lynch me." We make everyone agree to play the best game they can, and lynch anyone who isn't willing or capable of doing that. If we can do that without a "membership," that's totally fine with me.
In post 41, HighShroomish wrote:Two pages already. Damn. On the subject of the charter- uhhh no. It gives scum a chance to sign up to survive much longer. Simply by signing up, they are gauranteed safety among the members. How could you not see that the moment you drafted the charter, specifically the lynch-list.
Simply signing up doesn't grant anything, as I've stated before. Signing up is the harder path because you have to adhere to all the rules. It's not the signing up that would give protection, it's the playing well that puts you further back in the line to the gallows.
In post 38-
Playing along the rules of your charter are what scum is trying to do one way or another. Just because they are in your charter doesn't mean they'll play much differently, and again, they have protection.

Scum is supposed to be playing like town. They will always try to be pro-town. Charter or no charter.
And when town plays like shit, so can scum. I'm actually less concerned with the charter affecting how scum plays than how town plays. Does that make sense?
And I like quill's thought of a general code, but sometimes votes are because of the same reason. Not everyone is going to have a different reason, so that really couldn't work. The thing about at least one good post a day, that's all about what you deem as a good post, unless they are blatantly useless, which I doubt scum would really let happen.
Again, the "members" would decide and explicitly state what a good post entails.

Since I've come back to the game, I haven't seen towns that work together. Granted, it's just been a few games, but the things that consistently rule the games (especially the early game) are personality, reputations, and meta. Every post is a one-up, every argument degenerates into personal insults. It A) makes the game not fun, and B) benefits only the scum. Every player is too concerned with being right and showing off their big scum-hunting dick. Lurkers and no-content posters are allowed to linger to lylo because "that's how they play." I believe if we treat this game like a business, and make the first priority to work together, two things will happen. 1) the chaff will get lynched and the game will get better. 2) the scum will be forced to play in a pro-town manner. That means more bussing, more lynching of scum. These two changes will lead to more town victories.

I saw Eagle's post but I'll let Morph's questioning resolve before putting more on the stack.
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:08 pm

Post by Porkens »

Also, there are a lot of people who aren't comfortable playing as scum, and a charter-like agreement for the game could really fuck them up.
Hadrian
Hadrian
Goon
Hadrian
Goon
Goon

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:10 pm

Post by Hadrian »

I'm on the verge of crashing so super skimmed, but I will say I have no interest in a charte or belonging to the charter. My other head might because
he's dull
likes rules! and the wording of rules! and spreadsheets! but I'm not interested. I'd just rather everyone play like normal and Scumhunt and all that jazz. I take pride in my town game and put a lot of thought and effort into each one, I don't need a charter to tell me what I'm already going to do. I'm also not going to police other peoples posts for being good enough, nor will I accept other people behaving that way with me. The charter just seems to undermine the very purpose of the main premise of town should work together. So, I'll play my way, you play your way, and if you want to lynch me for not wanting to join a club, be my guest.

I'm also especially wary of these types of things after marketplace. I get it it's like apples and oranges as there are no mechanics involved but still what started as a good idea ended up helping to bring down town.

If that's been ffery, I like the early posting. Morph - how much experience do you have with bald eagle? Besides marketplace of course.

Porkens seems kinda townish for the charter thing, but tbf I'm going to be inclined to think he's town right now after hammering him in wizards when I should have hammered kanye. I'd probably just call him town, but this is a mafia weakness of mine I know exists, so.

Okay crashing now.
Hadrian
Hadrian
Goon
Hadrian
Goon
Goon

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:12 pm

Post by Hadrian »

I don't know why my iPad changes commas to exclamation points.

Also my kitten is snoring right now, and it's super cute. I thought everyone should know. I'm also pretty sure this counts as the best post in the game so far because if the thought of a kitten snoring doesn't make you smile, you have no soul.
morph the cat
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
Sync Achieved

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:17 pm

Post by morph the cat »

In post 47, Hadrian wrote:If that's been ffery, I like the early posting. Morph - how much experience do you have with bald eagle? Besides marketplace of course.
It's both of us posting, and we've been in mind sync mode, we've often ahd to cancel posts since the other posted it first.

We have one other game with bald; we was a lurksack useless townie. "Thad's Neighbor Mafia" in coney island.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”