NG 1479: Somebody's Gonna Die! (OVER!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #350 (ISO) » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:00 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Deadline is midnight on March 19th.

Sixteenth Vote Count of Day One:

Voidwalker1234 - 4 (jon_h61, VictorDeAngelo, RedCoyote, chitmap2510)

VictorDeAngelo - 2 (HiddenInTheDark, Voidwalker1234)
chitmap2510 - 1 (YurikoJasmine)
RedCoyote - 1 (Espeonage)

Not Voting - 1 (Matti)

With nine alive, it will take five votes to lynch.
chitmap2510
chitmap2510
Townie
chitmap2510
Townie
Townie

Post Post #351 (ISO) » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:48 pm

Post by chitmap2510 »

In post 331, Voidwalker1234 wrote:*Derp* chitmap is null to me, not town, I don't have enough info to actually know whether or not he's town or scum, all I know is that to me he slightly leans scum for just immediatly joining my wagon because it seemed like the largest, which makes RC seem
scummy
, but I don't know.
Can you explain more about this, why do you see RC as town in post #316 and see him as scum in post #331? And I just want to be clear, I think I did a few questioning before joining the wagon. And the game extended 24 hours so if you want to be active, it's time.
In post 309, RedCoyote wrote:
Yuriko 292 wrote:
@red
: can you explain a bit more about your views on jon? I don't seem to understand why you're torn on him.
Also, any comments on chitmap himself?
In regards to jon, he gives off this vibe as being a super slick character, and not in a good way. Do you understand what I mean by this? Specifically, I do not like his arguments in (hating on a player for implying he's town? Huh?
Wouldn't everyone, regardless of alignment, "imply" they were town?
), I do not like and for being too... overthinking. I get a very insincere vibe from him. Like this is a player that is going through the motions of a townie rather than being a townie.
Can you explain more about why was Jon overthinking in post #132 and #144? And please explain the motions of townie as well. I think everyone in Mafia will have to go through motions of a townie, everyone will have to try to convince people that they are town and you said it in the same post too, so I don't get your point here.
In post 268, chitmap2510 wrote: - Victor appeared to be calm with questions and really good at reasoning too. However, I don't understand how you said you believed Dritan's claim and still didn't shift your vote then. I know you said you don't want to lynch any PR day 1 but Dritan was very close to being lynched though.
@Victor I think you might have missed it when skimming through so I quoted. Do you mind explaining this?

Will add more thoughts later.
YurikoJasmine
YurikoJasmine
Goon
YurikoJasmine
Goon
Goon

Post Post #352 (ISO) » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:31 pm

Post by YurikoJasmine »

In post 329, Matti wrote:Checking in, starting reading now.

Initial questions if you care to get back to me while I'm catching up - yes I'm likely to find the answers by reading, yes it'll be useful if you add something here to help me out as I don't have too long.

(Cherry-picking the more experienced players and the top voted player for now)

(Espeonage)
- As the most experienced player here I'd be interested to hear you outline why you voted Edosurist 16 days ago and haven't changed your vote since then?

(jon_h61)
-You were the first to vote for Voidwalker1234 (assuming Mr.Flay reports votes on players in chronological order) - what was it that convinced you to put your vote on him more than a week ago?

(RedCoyote)
- You're a replacement as well and started by a full review of the thread ending up with your vote also going to VoidWalker1234 what is the single thing that makes him a better choice for your vote than the others?

(Voidwalker1234)
- You changed your vote a couple of times at the start of the game but are now voting VictorDeAngelo after your preferred scum read Dritan was replaced - you have both SE players in your vote list - what have they missed about VictorDeAngelo that you've picked up on? You moved your vote from Dritan when he was replaced - what is it about chitmap2510's play that makes you feel they are town more than Dritan's play did?

I'm GMT so more later on this evening after I get through the thread.
I hate to say it but this post looks very much IIOA (information instead of analysis) to me. Care to share some views and opinions on those acts?
I was NK-immuned but lynched Day 1. :/
Record: Won 3 Lost 7 Draw 0 \\ Ongoing: 0 (Living: 0)

Last year of school. Works two part-times.

**I'm from Hong Kong (GMT+8)
jon_h61
jon_h61
Mafia Scum
jon_h61
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #353 (ISO) » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:35 pm

Post by jon_h61 »

@ Yuriko Happy Scumday!

I almost got lynched once a long time ago because I told a scum read "I hate to say this, but..."

Some scum tells are made up on the spot, I think.
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #354 (ISO) » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:32 pm

Post by Espeonage »

@Victor:
1. Conf Bias is short for conformation bias which is a logical fallacy in which someone only sees things in a way that confirms what they already think.
2. Chainsawing is using a chainsaw defense which is attacking someone as a means of defending someone else.

In the context of my post. Might be conf bias because it reiterates my already gathered reads, and chainsaw because there was a light attack on jon which sparked the posts that I was commenting on.
Don't @ me.
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #355 (ISO) » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:33 pm

Post by Espeonage »

@Matti: Because nothing has changed in that regard. I've expressed that my read stands and has developed. I've also explained that I don't agree with the leading wagon.
Don't @ me.
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #356 (ISO) » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:37 pm

Post by Espeonage »

I mean he's lynch bait in the sense that it was early suspicion that people have been able to flop onto with a minimum of fuss. If he does flip town, I will be looking long and hard at his wagon for scum.

If he's scum then that's a different kettle of fish. But the fact that he has been the main suspect for a long time generally points towards a townie that scum are sticking everything they can into lynching. Usually if a scum gets wagoned early, their buddy will apply pressure to get rid of the wagon and that hasn't happened with the Void wagon at all.
Don't @ me.
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #357 (ISO) » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:39 pm

Post by Espeonage »

@jon: RC is not new in any way shape or form. So if you're going to go with anything, go with the it's intentional thought process.
Don't @ me.
Matti
Matti
Townie
Matti
Townie
Townie

Post Post #358 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:57 am

Post by Matti »

In post 352, YurikoJasmine wrote:
In post 329, Matti wrote:Checking in, starting reading now.

Initial questions if you care to get back to me while I'm catching up - yes I'm likely to find the answers by reading, yes it'll be useful if you add something here to help me out as I don't have too long.

(Cherry-picking the more experienced players and the top voted player for now)

(Espeonage)
- As the most experienced player here I'd be interested to hear you outline why you voted Edosurist 16 days ago and haven't changed your vote since then?

(jon_h61)
-You were the first to vote for Voidwalker1234 (assuming Mr.Flay reports votes on players in chronological order) - what was it that convinced you to put your vote on him more than a week ago?

(RedCoyote)
- You're a replacement as well and started by a full review of the thread ending up with your vote also going to VoidWalker1234 what is the single thing that makes him a better choice for your vote than the others?

(Voidwalker1234)
- You changed your vote a couple of times at the start of the game but are now voting VictorDeAngelo after your preferred scum read Dritan was replaced - you have both SE players in your vote list - what have they missed about VictorDeAngelo that you've picked up on? You moved your vote from Dritan when he was replaced - what is it about chitmap2510's play that makes you feel they are town more than Dritan's play did?

I'm GMT so more later on this evening after I get through the thread.
I hate to say it but this post looks very much IIOA (information instead of analysis) to me. Care to share some views and opinions on those acts?
Read the rest of my posts please.

As mentioned I'll get a review of my thoughts up here, it will now be this evening when I'm back from work. Please let me know if you feel I've suggested I won't get an update out soonest.

I think 24 hours to review this thread and get my thoughts out is reasonable do you disagree?
YurikoJasmine
YurikoJasmine
Goon
YurikoJasmine
Goon
Goon

Post Post #359 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:59 am

Post by YurikoJasmine »

@matti:
but there is less than 12 hours left already.

it's midnight in hk so i can't wait for few more hours sorry guys i hope mod doesn't post the lynch scene too soon.
vote: void

YurikoJasmine
YurikoJasmine
Goon
YurikoJasmine
Goon
Goon

Post Post #360 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:00 am

Post by YurikoJasmine »

In post 353, jon_h61 wrote:@ Yuriko Happy Scumday!

I almost got lynched once a long time ago because I told a scum read "I hate to say this, but..."

Some scum tells are made up on the spot, I think.
can't understand your post. so you said that phrase to a scum and he lynched you? why?

Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #361 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:39 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Final Vote Count of Day One:

Voidwalker1234 - 5 (jon_h61, VictorDeAngelo, RedCoyote, chitmap2510, YurikoJasmine)

VictorDeAngelo - 2 (HiddenInTheDark, Voidwalker1234)
RedCoyote - 1 (Espeonage)

Not Voting - 1 (Matti)

After what seems like an eternity, the frazzled town drags Voidwalker reluctantly to the makeshift gallows. Fear and apathy warred with their bloodlust, but the Mafia were not going to leave without drastic action. Unfortunately, in this case the victim of their wrath was a simple townie like most of them...

Voidwalker1234,
Vanilla Townie
, has been lynched Day One.

It is now Night One. Any and all Night Actions are due to me no later than midnight of Friday, March 21st.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #362 (ISO) » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:21 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

RedCoyote strolled home with his hands in his pockets, the satisfaction of a job well done warm in his mind on the cool evening. "Either I stopped the killer by locking them up, or I protected somebody from being killed," he thought to himself... unfortunately it was his last thought before a bullet proved him very, very wrong.

RedCoyote,
Town Jailkeeper
, killed Night One.

It is now Day Two. With seven alive, it will take four votes to lynch.
HiddenInTheDark
HiddenInTheDark
Goon
HiddenInTheDark
Goon
Goon

Post Post #363 (ISO) » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:41 pm

Post by HiddenInTheDark »

vote Jon

I am placing my vote solely on the fact that Void was a townie and pushed him as the lynch. I said he was going to have a huge FOS on him before the lynch and I am holding that word, but I myself will place the vote on him for that reason. I still think Victor is scum so I'm
FOS'ing Victor
Matti
Matti
Townie
Matti
Townie
Townie

Post Post #364 (ISO) » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:25 am

Post by Matti »

So I had this post ready a few days ago and the Yuri seemed to think it wasn't worth waiting for and dropped the hammer. I see how we got into this situation but it's frustrating to put the effort in to reading and analysing the thread (especially for a new player not used to this) then effectively have someone say "nope don't need to hear that".

(YurikoJasmine)
For clarity my post 358 was explaining that I did not like your assertion that my post 329 seemed IIOA. My point in 358 being I had been in the game less than 24 hours then and any analysis would be sketchy unless I gave it a good go. I tried to say that I would get a review into the thread within 24 hours of the point I joined - some 6 hours short of the deadline. I wasn't suggesting there was 24 hours to go until the deadline.

I'm frustrated at being called for IIOA when my stated intention was to start what conversations I could to help me understand the game and the other players. Simply refuting that attempt with your comments in 352 is both frustrating for me and counter-productive for town.

Onto the review I had planned:-
--------------------------------------

To borrow shamelessly from RedCoyote in post 276

[Town]
--jon_h61-----HiddenInTheDark----RedCoyote--YurikoJasmine--VictorDeAngelo--Voidwalker1234-Espeonage----chitmap2510-----
[Scum]

jon_h61
-- My strongest town read based on the signs he is picking up in others and talking about (HiddenInTheDark potentially trying for town cred in 126 for example). I don't always agree with his assertions however the way he is going about this game feels very town.

HiddenInTheDark
-- Another town read, not as strong as jon_h61 but still significant. To note is that his early interactions with Dritan felt quite town but more recent play less so, that said his reluctance to vote on Espeonage in 315 and query the motives of those thinking it rang true for town. I didn't like your read of VoidWalker1234 based solely on what you'd seen in another game which you didn't provide any evidence for - that said nobody pushed you for the evidence: Could you provide a link to the game where Voidwalker1234's play was replicated by another player?

RedCoyote
-- Almost all the posts put up by RedCoyote seemed organised and pro-town. Not always as fully explained as I'd like, but then I'm a new player looking for an explanation in everything and he has only been in the game a few more days than me. Not enough posts or time in game from him for me to read as stronger town - town<null.

YurikoJasmine
-- Smaller contributions but useful ones and seems to be pushing town agenda - even considering personal annoyances she still comes across with town at heart, same read as RedCoyote small town read.

VictorDeAngelo
-- As with HiddenInTheDark; your early exchanges with Dritan felt very pointed and town-leaning if a little aggressive. However while you've been organised and proactive later on your interaction with HiddenInTheDark seems to be slowing down progress of the town. Active and very small town read leaning null. read.

Voidwalker1234
-- Your playstyle is one that forces me to make an initial call on how to view you 1) new town with a playstyle of "woe is me, I'm just like this" or 2) this is a clever act to get you as far as you can in the game. I'll express disappointment if it is 1) and suprise if it is 2). I felt from reading games that choosing 2) would only be counter-productive unless you landed in a very inactive game. It seems to have done just that here. Despite you seeming to make out that RedCoyote is scummy in 331 which makes little sense to me, the odd voting on VictorDeAngelo, and the odd language when you talked about bussing over the VictorDeAngelo/Dritan interaction earlier on - I still have you as misplaced weak town/null read you just don't feel that scummy.

Espeonage
-- I'm a little confused by your play - perhaps you simply have low activity naturally at the start of games but I would have appreciated more of a town lead from you early on. That said I agreed with your call of Voidwalker1234 as town in 280 but you seemed to be advocating waiting until day 2 to see if he changed his playstyle - potentially taking us to no lynch on day 1. This seems counter-productive for town which is why I say your play seems odd - coupled with a vote on RedCoyote that seems to have gathered no following - mostly due to the lack of reasoning behind it - and the response to Dritan in 280 states that you'll come back with a response to the case against you. I don't believe you have done this, please point me to it if so and I will happily reassess. This kind of play just doesn't feel like town no matter how much "playing your way into the game" - 302 you are doing. I don't want our IC to be scum but you are leaning that way for me at the moment. null>scum read.

chitmap2510
-- I kind of feel for you as another replacement player with 5 posts with content to your name over the last week so I found it difficult to have you as my strongest scum read, but there you are. Why? - well some of it does come from your slot, not your play, early in the game where I'm getting scum feel from the emotion of Dritan. In particular the whole "scum stays in the shadows" around post 83 seemed a little bit like a justification for posting as much as he did (with limited content) which I trace back to the slot not the player. Additionally in 281 you vote Voidwalker1234 and I feel your reasons are pretty clear however I'd appreciate if you can clear up your standings towards VictorDeAngelo and Espeonage who you also addressed in that post. You seemed to have a reasonable line of inquiry into Espeonage that was rebuffed with a single sentence in 282. In fact you ask him about being dismissive and how you feel it's suspicious - he then dismisses you with a single sentence and you let it go? Are you being a little bit over-awed by tangling with the IC in this game? I don't think he answers were suitable - why do you?
As regards VictorDeAngelo you seem to have doubts about his voting for Dritan, well, actually you seem to be agreeing with HiddenInTheDark about it from what I read. I'm not calling you for the opinion more for the way you choose to voice it. Scum read.

Right now I'm happy that we have jon_h61 and HiddenInTheDark as town providing they aren't about to change their general playstyle and as long as RedCoyote and YurikoJasmine are consistently town-leaning in their play we should be able to work well with a solid town base.

VictorDeAngelo and Voidwalker1234 I'm not really sold on as scum so for me they need to contribute to town's agenda more and quit the bickering that irritates me when it seems to go nowhere and reveal nothing new.

That leaves me with two scummier players by POE - Espeonage, and chitmap2510. I can address my issues with both of these in more detail if required - I'm not reading them super strong scum and I'm pulling my thoughts together from the notes I've made going through the thread and looking at some ISOs.

I'm sure there is a bunch of stuff I've missed and could still learn / pick up on as this is the first time I've produced a post with my reads in a game of mafia so I'm happy to discuss the above and defend/critique the comments as needed.

--------------------------------------

Ok so that was my original post rendered slightly obsolete by YurikoJasmine's hammer and the events of the night. I wanted to put it up anyway as 1) It might gives us something useful to work from 2) You all get to have something to interact with from me 3) I said I would and I got all bloody minded about it once I saw YurikoJasmine had posted the hammer.

(HiddenInTheDark)
I see your reasoning for the vote on jon_h61 and while I agree there is good reason to look at why he did what he did, vote-wise, I don't believe it's worth a vote is it? jon_h61 sits in my town list so you'll have to do a lot of convincing if you want my vote.

I only have VictorDeAngelo as a small town read so I'd love to hear anything beyond what you've already said about why he is scum.

(VictorDeAngelo)
FOS on you from HiddenInTheDark - If I remove the pro-town actions I see in your posts with Dritan you look a lot scummier - so if that was down to his playstyle why are you town?

In particular can you address the claim request on Dritan with no intent to hammer?
HiddenInTheDark
HiddenInTheDark
Goon
HiddenInTheDark
Goon
Goon

Post Post #365 (ISO) » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:37 am

Well, Matti I won't be able to do a very convincing post that will vote Jon for anyone. I just think that of the people who voted for Void, Jon was the one who pushed the hardest on him and everything else just fell into place with Yuri doing the hammer which I think she did because the deadline was nearing after being extended another 24 hours.

Also, I can't do it as it was in another forum on another site that I no longer have access to since it was a private forum where the owner no longer comes on the site anymore and can't get him to give me access.
VictorDeAngelo
VictorDeAngelo
Mafia Scum
VictorDeAngelo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #366 (ISO) » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:23 am

Post by VictorDeAngelo »

Responses First (sorry for the delay)

@Chitmap
- Like I said at the time I didn't believe his role is a PR, mostly in response to 83. After mislynching both PRs last game a VT lynch day 1 is a step in the right direction (hence why I wanted a claim before we lynched). I can see how what I said can be misconstrued as saying I believe your town and that's down to me not thinking before I type.
Matti wrote: (VictorDeAngelo)
FOS on you from HiddenInTheDark -
If I remove the pro-town actions I see in your posts with Dritan you look a lot scummier
- so if that was down to his playstyle why are you town?
Well yeah, remove anything I've done that looks town and I will look scummier.

Your question is frankly baffling.
In particular can you address the claim request on Dritan with no intent to hammer?
Yes, 143.

In other news:
In post 313, HiddenInTheDark wrote:I refuse to hammer on him. I still believe that Victor is Scum. That is my two cents on this situation. He might not be good at spotting Scum. I suck at trying to decipher a person's post and psychoanalyze every damn word they say. I take what is blatantly in front of me. You take a person who played defeated style and you still push for his lynch even though he is still playing this game unlike the ones who got in this game and got replaced. The fact that every person in this game refuses to look at what is clearly in front of you a person who basically screamed scum with that one sentence he stated plus the vote/unvote thing he did.

I FOS every single person on Void, especially Jon if he comes up Town. You better Pray he is Scum.
This whole post seemed too knowing that Void what flip town. Those no analyse or thought given to what would happen if VW flipped scum yet HITD is ready to FoS the entire wagon when VW flipped town (with Jon ready and waiting for the vote). Yet looking at HITD's reads in 200 shows that VW was only a null read and nothing in his subsequent posting suggest he had changed his mind.
Even if HITD is reading me as scum he has no reason to believe VW would flip town at the end of yesterday.

VOTE: HITD
HiddenInTheDark
HiddenInTheDark
Goon
HiddenInTheDark
Goon
Goon

Post Post #367 (ISO) » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:29 am

Of course I have no idea he would flip town but with him flipping town someone among the lynching is scum in there. I refused to and stuck by it. If I wanted him dead I wouldn't have made such a daring post about having an FOS on Jon and still voting for you. Also, I still think you are scum but I just feel that Jon seemed to have pushed. Of course, this is all just based on him turning town and have no proof of anything to support my choice(s).
jon_h61
jon_h61
Mafia Scum
jon_h61
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #368 (ISO) » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:31 am

Post by jon_h61 »

In post 365, HiddenInTheDark wrote:Well, Matti I won't be able to do a very convincing post that will vote Jon for anyone. I just think that of the people who voted for Void, Jon was the one who pushed the hardest on him and everything else just fell into place with Yuri doing the hammer which I think she did because the deadline was nearing after being extended another 24 hours.
What I'm going to do is go back and look at everyone who had interactions with Void (and those who avoided him too) and look for disingenuous posts. I'm also going to look at voting records and see if there are discrepancies. It doesn't always help, but I'm going to look over RC's posts and see if there's a reason scum picked him for the NK.

I'm probably not doing any of it today though.

@ HITD I pushed him hard, but I pushed him trying to get a read on him. I poked and prodded a lot of people. What about my conversations with Void came off as scummy, or anyone else I interacted with? Who do you see as my scum partner?

-----------off topic
Yesterday was my birthday, but today and tomorrow are the real celebration. We're having steaks (T-bones and KC strips) lots of goodies including broccoli salad, potato salad, corn salad, Strawberry and Lime Margaritas, Jell-O shots, and Bud Light. Oh yeah, and cake!!! If you're in the neighborhood (CST), come on by! :D

I don't know how much I'll be checking in the next two days so...
@ Mod V/LA through Sunday night
HiddenInTheDark
HiddenInTheDark
Goon
HiddenInTheDark
Goon
Goon

Post Post #369 (ISO) » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:58 am

I'm going to be on V/LA until Tuesday
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #370 (ISO) » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:20 am

Post by Espeonage »

Having a squizz at the thread tonight.
Don't @ me.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #371 (ISO) » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:23 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

HighShroomish replaces chitmap effective immediately.
Retired as of October 2014.
YurikoJasmine
YurikoJasmine
Goon
YurikoJasmine
Goon
Goon

Post Post #372 (ISO) » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:00 pm

Post by YurikoJasmine »

I need to think. May not have time to do a through read till tomorrow

YurikoJasmine
YurikoJasmine
Goon
YurikoJasmine
Goon
Goon

Post Post #373 (ISO) » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:22 pm

Post by YurikoJasmine »

V/LA till Tuesday night GMT+8

HighShroomish
HighShroomish
Goon
HighShroomish
Goon
Goon

Post Post #374 (ISO) » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:45 am

Post by HighShroomish »

VOTE: HITD

No time to explain. I'm V/LA till tomorrow night.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”