Newbie 1509: The Devil's Run (Game Over)

neil1113
neil1113
Mafia Scum
neil1113
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:00 pm

Post by neil1113 »

Awesome! Good to see you playing here Shadow!
In post 23, Alina" omg I feel horrible I actually skimmed neil's wall as I assumed it was standard IC fare without any real commentary on the game/any RQS. Sorry!
It's okay....

#hatetheIC
#nobodycaresaboutNeil
#sadlife
#justkidding
#.....
#sortof
In post 233. What is your personality like usually? This is a pretty important question to decipher scumminess from personality, in my opinion.

Oh, god. I can be one way one day, and the complete opposite another day. I'm usually fairly timid, but I'm trying to be the opposite of that in this game, because being timid and not committing to anything/just sitting around is not going to make myself all that useful.
What importance do you place on staying alive or surviving in your approach to this game specifically?

P.Edit:
(means Post-Submit Edit, which is what somebody does when they hit submit on their post and realize that someone else has submitted something before them, and they'd like to respond to it without re-writing their entire post.)

Alina, nobody here really frowns to much on double posting or even triple posting. What's really significant is when you post a lot in a row or you post multiple times in a row, every time you post... that's when people take notice.:)
Last edited by Baezu on Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Show
Total Games Played:

Last Editted:
9-29-11

Spoiler: My Record for Mafiascum.net
#1. 5-2 Scum
#2. 3-6 Town
#3. 0-1 3rd Party
Archaebob
-
Hats off to Neil for some incredible town play.

Me=Weird
-
When I read up, I was just amazed by neil. Awesome reads.
neil1113
neil1113
Mafia Scum
neil1113
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:01 pm

Post by neil1113 »

@Mod: Ahhhh can you fix the quote fail? :/

Done (sort of) lol
Last edited by Baezu on Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Show
Total Games Played:

Last Editted:
9-29-11

Spoiler: My Record for Mafiascum.net
#1. 5-2 Scum
#2. 3-6 Town
#3. 0-1 3rd Party
Archaebob
-
Hats off to Neil for some incredible town play.

Me=Weird
-
When I read up, I was just amazed by neil. Awesome reads.
shaddowez
shaddowez
He/Him
Mafia Scum
shaddowez
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:01 pm

Post by shaddowez »

In post 24, Alina wrote:
In post 22, shaddowez wrote:
In post 20, Alina wrote:RVS isn't really necessary to defend against -- it's all just to get the conversation started. How many games of Mafia have you read/participated in, Shadow?
I've played about a half dozen games, but none of them on here, and haven't really used RVS in any of the games I've played. If anything, we usually start with FOS to get people talking
In advance: Sorry for the double post! I don't know if that's horribly frowned on here or not, but still, sorry.

And okay, that makes sense. I don't see too much harm in using votes early on, since FOS is more of just a vague threat that the person being voted on knows it means nothing, and actual votes on people can get them to react, I guess, in a more pressured way, as Formerfish said earlier. Making sure people are pressured/keeping conversation going, in my opinion, is the most important thing, because if we all just descend into lurkerdom...well...the scum laugh at us and then they win. Which isn't really what any of us should want.
That's fair, and I completely agree. I probably should have read a couple more games on here before jumping in, but at least I understand the RVS now.
Alina
Alina
Mafia Scum
Alina
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:04 pm

Post by Alina »

Aw, I'm sorry, Neil!

And, I really place no importance on staying alive. If I get killed at night/lynched, I want to make sure I at least gave an effort to try and help win the game, you know? I don't want to just sit around and say nothing and say "gee I hope nobody notices me." That's just boring. Basically, even if I die, I want to at least make an impact. That's why I'm paying so much attention to the thread, haha. I don't want to be useless.

And, okay, good to know. Some other sites I post on basically crucify double posters so I was a little nervous.

And don't worry Shadow, I don't blame you. I understand some people just jump right in and that's not something I should just totally go "rah its defensive scumzor kill it!"
Baezu
Baezu
Mafia Scum
Baezu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:19 pm

Post by Baezu »

Vote Count 1.01luceatluxvestra: (1) huntress
BabiSoup: (1) Clusk92
shaddowez: (1) Alina
Alina: (1) Formerfish
Formerfish: (1) Jopalopa

Not Voting: luceatluxvestra, BabiSoup, shaddowez, neil1113

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch.

Deadline: (expired on 2014-06-19 11:30:00)

Mod Notes:
None
Show
Stats have been transferred to the wiki http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=User:Baezu

“Baezu’s my top town. If she's scum I'll eat Alchemist's hat.” (Something I never thought I’d hear in any game. Ever.) -RCEnigma in EICN
“Baezu tier: Baezu” (Oooo I get my own tier!!!) -Vorkuta

Planning the next Toronto Meet! in late 2020
BabiSoup
BabiSoup
Goon
BabiSoup
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:07 pm

Post by BabiSoup »

RQS

1. 0
2. Finding scum
3. Consistent
BabiSoup
BabiSoup
Goon
BabiSoup
Goon
Goon

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:10 pm

Post by BabiSoup »

In post 15, shaddowez wrote:Hey, I'm here, no reason to assume I'm guilty yet. I personally dislike immediate accusations, because a random lynch on day one helps the villains more than the heroes. That being said, not many people have spoken yet, where is everyone else?
Shaddowez, why does a random lynch on day 1 help scum more than town?
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:15 pm

Post by Formerfish »

In post 13, Alina wrote:Hm, because, as you said, it's a usual occurrence. If someone were to not participate in it, some people are likely to ask them why not, and so on, meaning, conversation probably starts even without the use of those methods.
Very good, that is one reason. Conflict can definitely lead to game progression and that is really one of the most important things to do as town. Scum would sit idly by and watch town destroy each other. It is our responsibility to determine who is scum and one of the most successful ways is to find someone not contributing any worthwhile content or someone who is pushing weak ass reads.

One of the other reasons people sometimes opt out of RVS or RQS is because they don't want to give away any associations or disassociations that can be used against them later in the game.

Unvote Alina

You are going in my town pile for your interactions so far.
In post 14, Jopalopa wrote:First game ever! :D

Also, VOTE: Formerfish because I'm curious as to why he's not a fish anymore. Er, wait, maybe it's the start of a letter "for merfish"? And wouldn't a merfish just be the same as a regular fish? Uh, never mind, I'm sticking with "former fish".
Hello to you too!
In post 15, shaddowez wrote:Hey, I'm here, no reason to assume I'm guilty yet. I personally dislike immediate accusations, because a random lynch on day one helps the villains more than the heroes. That being said, not many people have spoken yet, where is everyone else?
I would highly recommend getting yourself an avatar, it makes things so much easier for everyone else in the game to quickly identify who you are without having to look at your name all the time.

On a game related note I could see newbtown getting a little antsy with a vote here, especially if they don't know exactly what is going on. I could also see newbscum here freaking out that they may have been caught so early. I will be keeping an eye on you.

:igmeou:
In post 16, neil1113 wrote:
Luckily for me, I also have two very skilled Mafia players along side with me during this game, both which have already introduced themselves. They are:
Formerfish
and
Huntress
. If I'm not around, or they see a Mafia-Related question posed, they are more than capable of answering as well. They are SE's which stands for (Semi-Experienced) players.

1. How many games of Mafia have you played (specifically on Mafiascum.net) in your lifetime?

2. What's most appealing about these games to you?

3. What is your personality like usually? This is a pretty important question to decipher scumminess from personality, in my opinion.
Awww, Neil you are going to make me blush :oops:

And I will play along with the questions because I think it will give the newbies a better idea of who we are as players.

1. I started on this site about a year ago, following my brothers lead. We played together on Gamefaqs for awhile and then the scene died out there and I needed a fix. I've played around 10 games on that site and around 15 games solo here, and another 5-7 games as part of a hydra (where 2 or more players play together under a shared name).

2. The most appealing part is digging through peoples words and finding scum when I am town, and using my words to trick people when I am scum. The thrill of the hunt as it were.

3. My personality while playing can vary from game to game. Sometimes I can be very subdued and like to lurk in the shadows waiting for people to screw up. Sometimes I can be very in your face and caustic. Sometimes I get confused and say stupid things. Each game is different and needs to be played that way. I know some people have very predictable metas (they play each and every game the same way and people can pick up on certain tells that they will exhibit as each alignment).

@Alina
- What do you hope to get from Jopalopa explaining their RVS vote on me? Do you find yourself to be a better liar or detector?

@Shaddowez
- Town usually doesn't care about random votes on them because they will be able to come off as townie eventually. Scum get really freaked out by votes on them. Until you are at l-2 or l-1 (Lynch in 2 votes, or Lynch in 1 vote respectively) you really shouldn't worry about votes on you like that. Where did you play your Mafia before here?

@Babisoup
- Your answers are quite elegant and gregarious... wait no, they were the opposite of those words. Shy?

Is Luceatluxvestra, or as I will now forever call them Luc, the only one we are waiting to hear from? Do you guys think this slot is more likely town or scum based off the fact that we are waiting to hear from him/her?
shaddowez
shaddowez
He/Him
Mafia Scum
shaddowez
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:09 pm

Post by shaddowez »

In post 31, BabiSoup wrote:
Town (usually) outnumbers scum, so based on pure probability it is more likely that a townsperson will be lynched than scum via random lynching. That opens up the night to a free kill (assuming no roleblockers/doctor/etc), dropping the town by two in one day. It's not a guarantee, but mathematically it favors scum
shaddowez
shaddowez
He/Him
Mafia Scum
shaddowez
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:19 pm

Post by shaddowez »

@FormerFish:
Avatar added, thanks for the suggestion. As for where I've played before, we have a form for a LARP that I play at. One of the people I play with mods Mafia games on the forums fairly regularly, with some other people trying their hands at modding once in a while.

Later in the games I care less about the first vote, it was just surprising having votes thrown about so early. I've read up on the RVS a bit now, and understand it more.
Smithereens
Smithereens
Mafia Scum
Smithereens
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:00 pm

Post by Smithereens »

oh, was I too late?
Smithereens
Smithereens
Mafia Scum
Smithereens
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:04 pm

Post by Smithereens »

In post 33, shaddowez wrote:
Town (usually) outnumbers scum, so based on pure probability it is more likely that a townsperson will be lynched than scum via random lynching. That opens up the night to a free kill (assuming no roleblockers/doctor/etc), dropping the town by two in one day. It's not a guarantee, but mathematically it favors scum
The aim is not the randomly lynch someone on Day 1, its to pressure someone randomly to give information about themselves which can be scrutinized by everyone else. If someone is found to lie about the information that is presented to them, it is assumed that they must be the scum. This is SOP, everyone does it. If the pressure bandwagons extremely quickly such that a person actually gets hammered on day 1, it is because the town placed enough vote pressure on that person for the scum team to be able to cast all their votes against him/her and lynch them. I've never seen it happen though because that would just be a dumb thing to do as scum.
Clusk92
Clusk92
Goon
Clusk92
Goon
Goon

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:07 pm

Post by Clusk92 »

Is Luceatluxvestra, or as I will now forever call them Luc, the only one we are waiting to hear from? Do you guys think this slot is more likely town or scum based off the fact that we are waiting to hear from him/her?
I think lurking without posting is obviously does more harm to town then it does good, so can be a sign of scuminess, but in this case I think the slot is currently null due to inactivity because she hasn't logged in since the 20th May which is when she signed up for this game.
In post 33, shaddowez wrote:
I don't think it will necessarily be a random lynch though, even in day 1. 13 days is a hell of a long time to find the information we need to catch scum or at least make a justifiable lynch.

Also, I believe that lynching in the first day is beneficial to town in the long-run, due to the fact this is the one time we are in control and have the power to lynch someone who could possibly be scum, if we were to waste that we would be giving a risk-free kill to the scum overnight.

As for the questions:

1) First time playing at mafiascum and also first time online ever. Played a couple of times in real life though.

2) The most appealing thing about the games to me is the analysis. I have quite an analytical mind and enjoy puzzle solving so this type of game fits the bill for me.

3) I'm normally quite quizzical and like to probe people for their motivations behind their votes/why they say stuff.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:54 am

Post by Formerfish »

In post 35, Smithereens wrote:oh, was I too late?
Yes you were. Please don't post in the thread again and PM the mod for anything further.
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:24 am

Post by Huntress »

@ Formerfish:
Did you have a particular reason for asking Alina why she asked a question before the player she asked had had a chance to answer the question?
Alina
Alina
Mafia Scum
Alina
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:49 am

Post by Alina »

Yeah, I'm not gonna be answering that question until it's answered, sorry Formerfish. ^^ But I will answer your second. I think, probably detector. I've caught people in lies...well, a lot, IRL, but whenever I lie I usually start smiling out of nowhere which totally nullifies the point of it. I don't know what I'd be better at online, though.

Also, you said your personality can be different game to game...are there any prominent difference between your scum and town games?

And I agree with Clusk, we have a long period of time here, so I suggest we all use it to our advantage, because if we don't lynch today, chances are, that'll be a lot worse for us than us mislynching, so I do hope everyone's on board with lynching SOMEONE today. The information that can be gained from a mislynch can still be useful. I know I'm stating the obvious here, but some people are completely new to the site so I just want everyone to be on the same boat. I had something else that popped into my head earlier that I wanted to say when I got on but I can't remember what it is right now, so bleh.
Alina
Alina
Mafia Scum
Alina
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:52 am

Post by Alina »

Okay, I just noticed BabiSoup's RVS answers. Um...I don't really think "consistent," can be defined as a personality type. Consistently...what? Also, you said what you enjoy is "finding scum." What if you were to roll scum? What then? Ragequit? Your answers confuse me to many different ends, dude.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:56 am

Post by Formerfish »

In post 39, Huntress wrote:
@ Formerfish:
Did you have a particular reason for asking Alina why she asked a question before the player she asked had had a chance to answer the question?
I'm impatient and like immediate gratification.
Baezu
Baezu
Mafia Scum
Baezu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:02 am

Post by Baezu »

Vote Count 1.02luceatluxvestra: (1) huntress
BabiSoup: (1) Clusk92
shaddowez: (1) Alina
Formerfish: (1) Jopalopa

Not Voting: luceatluxvestra, BabiSoup, shaddowez, neil1113, Formerfish

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch.

Deadline: (expired on 2014-06-19 11:30:00)

Mod Notes:
Looking for replacement for luceatluxvestra
Show
Stats have been transferred to the wiki http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=User:Baezu

“Baezu’s my top town. If she's scum I'll eat Alchemist's hat.” (Something I never thought I’d hear in any game. Ever.) -RCEnigma in EICN

Baezu
Baezu
Mafia Scum
Baezu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:32 pm

Post by Baezu »

Andrewseagull replaces luceatluxvestra
Show

Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:18 pm

Post by Huntress »

In post 42, Formerfish wrote:I'm impatient and like immediate gratification.
Your eagerness deserves a reward :P

Vote: Formerfish

Interfering with another player's scumhunting (whether or not it's genuine) is always bad, and could be scummy.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:25 pm

Post by Formerfish »

Oh goody.

Are we going to have a repeat of the last time we were in a newbie game together?
BabiSoup
BabiSoup
Goon
BabiSoup
Goon
Goon

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:32 pm

Post by BabiSoup »

In post 41, Alina wrote:Okay, I just noticed BabiSoup's RVS answers. Um...I don't really think "consistent," can be defined as a personality type. Consistently...what? Also, you said what you enjoy is "finding scum." What if you were to roll scum? What then? Ragequit? Your answers confuse me to many different ends, dude.
As to my personality type, well in this game, I'm not sure but I don't change a lot.
I find that the most appealing part of Mafia is finding scum. If I were to roll scum, maybe I would enjoy the game less but I wouldn't rage quit... . Also, this is my first game so I have not experienced the joys of being scum.

Anyway, what do you think about lies in RQS? Town, scum or null?
Alina
Alina
Mafia Scum
Alina
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:40 pm

Post by Alina »

Most likely, scummy. There are some cases in which lying can be beneficial to town, I'm sure, but I would rather no one do it unless they're VERY confident it will pay off. Anyways, in regards to your personality, what do you typically act like in real life? That's what I went for for my answer.

Also,
Formerfish
/
Huntress
, what happened in your last newbie game together? (If you can't talk about the game because it's still ongoing, that's fine. Just tell me so.~)
shaddowez
shaddowez
He/Him
Mafia Scum
shaddowez
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:52 pm

Post by shaddowez »

Sorry for not being very talkative today, having a toddler makes it tough to post sometimes.

To clarify some of what I've said, I'm not against lynching on day one, especially with the amount of time provided (again, something much different than the other site I play on). Mathematically a mislynch favors scum, but a no lynch doesn't help the town either.

Also, I've noticed a number of people haven't answered the questions yet. Has everyone at least made their presence known?

Return to “Completed Newbie Games”