Game of Thrones

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
evilpacman18
evilpacman18
Mafia Scum
evilpacman18
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2950 (ISO) » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:23 pm

Post by evilpacman18 »

at least she's going to hang out with some cool dudes
I play piano and competitive Smash 4 under the tag EPM
Seacore
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2951 (ISO) » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:55 pm

Post by Seacore »

Of course she's hateful

This is a girl who puts herself to sleep every night with a list of people that she wants to kill. The first true cruelty she experienced was the Hound cutting her friend in half and Joffrey lying in such a way that she had to scare aware her pet that was effectively soul bonded to her.

And life hasn't exactly been upon the up since then.

She endured hardships, torment and loss, and in doing so has become cold and hate filled. But also, I would argue, intelligent, cunning and determined. I find her character interesting because, despite the fact that the Hound has been almost kind to her, she's never lost sight of the fact that he's on her list, and that a quick death may be too good for him.

There's far more to Arya than "wow, look at the little girl being all kill happy, how cool is that" which seems to be the suggestion of some of these comments.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2952 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:02 am

Post by quadz08 »

^ I agree with seacore!
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2953 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:51 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 2935, AngryPidgeon wrote:So why didn't Arya kill the hound?

Was she too attached to him or was he deserving of that fate?
In post 2946, Seacore wrote:My interpretation:

I love how cold Arya was towards the Hound. Not just in leaving him to die, but that clearly her friendliness to him was feigned to a great extent. Whereas the way the Hound spoke up for Arya, even after there was no chance of him getting paid for her, implied that he had genuine protective feelings towards her.
It's interesting, really, in the opposite stories being told with Arya & The Hound. Through their friendship, The Hound gained some sense of humanity and loyalty... whereas Arya lost hers. Despite all they had been through, Arya was a vindictive little bitch, and left him to die a slow, painful death. In the end, The Hound was another name on her list.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2954 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:51 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 2936, Marquis wrote:Is this the kind of show that you can just jump into after skimming various episode synopses on the fan wiki? Because I think I just accidentally skimmed the fan wiki.
No. No you cannot.
green shirt thursdays
PeregrineV
PeregrineV
Survivor
PeregrineV
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2955 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:02 am

Post by PeregrineV »

In post 2943, evilpacman18 wrote:So were we supposed to understand WHY exactly Stannis shows up? That seems like a random place for him to be. Idk if it was explained or will be explained. Idk if this is possible to discuss without getting into book spoilers (if that is the case please don't)
At the beginning of the episode when they are like "Previously on Game of Thrones", one of the scenes was the with-fire-woman looking into the fire and telling Stannis he is needed North beyond the wall and must go there.
Considering how much he has been following her advice, makes sense he would show up, I guess.
I will have
Limited Access
on weekends.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #2956 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:03 am

Post by chamber »

I think arya serves as an interesting foil for the audience. The show is very good at making once villain characters sympathetic. We can almost forget that Jaime callously pushed bran out that window. Arya doesn't forget though.
Taking a break from the site.
Venmar
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2957 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:36 am

Post by Venmar »

I actually thought that the amount of horses and men Stannis had charging into the forest was way more than he actually had both in the show and the books? Maybe he used the gold from the Bank to buy sellswords, but a thousand sellswords? All wearing Baratheon armour? Idk.
I swear I'm trying my best

--Expect me to be V/LA from 10am-7pm PST every Mon, Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun due to work--
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #2958 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:31 am

Post by AngryPidgeon »

In post 2953, xRECKONERx wrote:Despite all they had been through, Arya was a vindictive little bitch, and left him to die a slow, painful death. In the end, The Hound was another name on her list.
I mean, think back to the episodes where The Hound faked that he would help that poor guy and then killed him and took what money he had. Arya fervently objected (iirc?) and kept insisting it was wrong. I don't think Arya is coldhearted, I think she is a bit vindictive. She has seen the worst of him so I can see her feeling that he got what he deserved.
evilpacman18
evilpacman18
Mafia Scum
evilpacman18
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2959 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:31 am

Post by evilpacman18 »

In post 2955, PeregrineV wrote:
In post 2943, evilpacman18 wrote:So were we supposed to understand WHY exactly Stannis shows up? That seems like a random place for him to be. Idk if it was explained or will be explained. Idk if this is possible to discuss without getting into book spoilers (if that is the case please don't)
At the beginning of the episode when they are like "Previously on Game of Thrones", one of the scenes was the with-fire-woman looking into the fire and telling Stannis he is needed North beyond the wall and must go there.
Considering how much he has been following her advice, makes sense he would show up, I guess.
Oh I didn't even realize the show had a "previously", I always download it and I guess whoever uploads cuts it out
I play piano and competitive Smash 4 under the tag EPM
Aegor
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2960 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:26 pm

Post by Aegor »

Yeah. I think vindictive is the right word for Arya. Imagine if the Hound existed in real life and treated you the way he treated others. Granted, his backstory is sympathetic, but to say he is a giant douche would be putting it mildly. Arya truly was his captive. She did not hasten or cause his death, but she did not save him, either. A girl's got to have a code, I guess.
Currently partying at the
M A S Q U E R A D E
-- a Large Normal for 21 revelers.
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #2961 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:50 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

yeaaaah just caught up with the last two episodes

the
revelation about tysha and the aftermath
was the thing I was most looking forward to and they godamn cut it

the brienne+hound fight was damn fantastic but the episode could have been SO DAMN AMAZING and blaggggggh

Spoiler: Book spoilers ramble
Like I know that the TV audience probably doesn't know and/or remember about Tysha but its why Tyrion does like everything he does in the 5th book and Tywin being so godamn callous about it I think shows Tywin's nature so much better than the final "you're not my son" line (and also wherever whores go is a fantastic line aaaand Tyrion killing him because he won't stop calling his legitimate wife a whore is so much more justified)
pappums rat
pappums rat
Mafia Scum
pappums rat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2962 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:07 pm

Post by pappums rat »

In post 2939, ChannelDelibird wrote:
In post 2938, chamber wrote:
Wasn't Tyrion supposed to give a line about seeing if he actually shat gold?
I think that would be very hard to pull off with the right tone in this medium. I'm kinda glad it didn't go that way here, although I am frustrated about the lack of Tysha talk.

I haven't decided yet whether I'll watch season 5 when it happens next season. We're reaching a point where there are bound to be more 'future book' spoilers next year and, with some of my frustrations in their adaptational choices growing this season, I increasingly suspect that I'm going to want to double down and make sure I get everything from GRRM first. I don't think it's been a poor season at all and I've enjoyed a lot of it but it's been distracting more than before.
I dont know if GRRM has talked about what he has told the show's producers about the future of ASOIAF, but I doubt he would allow any future book spoilers to bleed into the show.
I think the whole "White Walker king" thing is just an adaptation of the show and that it is not based on future book events, but that's just my opinion.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2963 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:56 pm

Post by Iecerint »

In post 2961, Gammagooey wrote:yeaaaah just caught up with the last two episodes

the
revelation about tysha and the aftermath
was the thing I was most looking forward to and they godamn cut it

the brienne+hound fight was damn fantastic but the episode could have been SO DAMN AMAZING and blaggggggh

Spoiler: Book spoilers ramble
Like I know that the TV audience probably doesn't know and/or remember about Tysha but its why Tyrion does like everything he does in the 5th book and Tywin being so godamn callous about it I think shows Tywin's nature so much better than the final "you're not my son" line (and also wherever whores go is a fantastic line aaaand Tyrion killing him because he won't stop calling his legitimate wife a whore is so much more justified)
I think they're just going to use
guilt about Shae
for that instead.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2964 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:57 pm

Post by Iecerint »

In post 2962, pappums rat wrote:
In post 2939, ChannelDelibird wrote:
In post 2938, chamber wrote:
Wasn't Tyrion supposed to give a line about seeing if he actually shat gold?
I think that would be very hard to pull off with the right tone in this medium. I'm kinda glad it didn't go that way here, although I am frustrated about the lack of Tysha talk.

I haven't decided yet whether I'll watch season 5 when it happens next season. We're reaching a point where there are bound to be more 'future book' spoilers next year and, with some of my frustrations in their adaptational choices growing this season, I increasingly suspect that I'm going to want to double down and make sure I get everything from GRRM first. I don't think it's been a poor season at all and I've enjoyed a lot of it but it's been distracting more than before.
I dont know if GRRM has talked about what he has told the show's producers about the future of ASOIAF, but I doubt he would allow any future book spoilers to bleed into the show.
I think the whole "White Walker king" thing is just an adaptation of the show and that it is not based on future book events, but that's just my opinion.
I think
the Night's King == Coldhands -> account for the absence of Coldhands elsewhere.
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #2965 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:46 pm

Post by Korts »

scumchat never die
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2966 (ISO) » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:31 am

Post by quadz08 »

what korts said
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2967 (ISO) » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:32 am

Post by quadz08 »

also
please stop posting book stuff in the show thread there is a book thread for that shit
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2968 (ISO) » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:11 am

Post by Iecerint »

The Night's King
has literally only been confirmed on the show...that is show material only at this point.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2969 (ISO) » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:16 am

Post by Iecerint »

The only really valid item on this list is the point about the cost of production AFAICT. They've already said they'll finish even if the last books aren't written, the characters are all older on the show so the "omg Bran is 7" point is not even accurate, and the last claim ignores that splitting the POVs was not done for artistic reasons in the books, anyway.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #2970 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:47 am

Post by Tierce »

I fell behind a few weeks ago, catching up now.

I liked episode 8 a lot--perhaps that's because the political stuff always drew me in and the AFFC Eyrie scenes are some of my very favorites in the books. That was different from the book, but it worked well!

Jorah's exile had some superb acting. Sadly, I don't really care for the Grey Worm/Missandei pairing.

Arya cracking up was fantastic, and I'm sorry that the Knight of the Bloody Gate didn't know the details; we'd have a much different story!

The duel. I knew it was coming and I spent the last few seconds just listening to the audio while looking elsewhere. Mutilation is not my thing.

Currently in the middle of episode 9. This show reminds me of how much more riveting (and nerve-wracking) battle scenes are when you like characters on both sides. Tormund is a beast, I can mostly stand Ygritte at this point, and my heart goes out to Grenn and Pyp so much.

...Mutilation is not my thing, but apparently scarification, extreme violence and cannibalism are because the Thenns are still
damn son
. Styr and the Thenn warg look amazing.

Also MAMMOTH.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2971 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:57 am

Post by quadz08 »

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/29221a ... y-children

this shit is friggin hilarious (also the rest of this series is funny too, but this epsiode has SUPER BONUS FUNNY at the end)
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #2972 (ISO) » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:41 am

Post by Porochaz »

Prozac reacts to... (after being asked to)

Season 1 episode 3.

Im finding stupid similarities between this and the Sopranos.
Basically waiting for Viserys (I think thats his name) to die. Clear character designed to be offed early.
Jaime Lannister is a bit of a creep.
ad I still think Cersei us by far and away the worst character on the show.
Jon Snow is growing on me...
Dragon-girl is pregnant, there is a surprise... :roll:
Last edited by Porochaz on Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2973 (ISO) » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:41 am

Post by quadz08 »

this is going to be so entertaining
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #2974 (ISO) » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:38 am

Post by Porochaz »

Arya and Tyrion are probably the best characters on the show.
Jesus, Sansa is boring as hell... the girl is a terrible actress...
Hey tis Joe Dempsie.
Dragon Girl has finally got some balls. Might make her slightly more interesting.
Hmm, Samwell is dull as well, seriously this episode has been a bit shite.
Finally a death! At least it was a good one.
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.

Return to “General Discussion”