Game of Thrones

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Venmar
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3000 (ISO) » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:35 am

Post by Venmar »

Not sure if the pugs are neutral about what they're doing or if they're sad.
I swear I'm trying my best

--Expect me to be V/LA from 10am-7pm PST every Mon, Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun due to work--
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #3001 (ISO) » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:37 am

Post by Tierce »

Neutral. Sad pugs tend to collapse in woe. They were probably bribed with treats and lots of pettings and seem pretty familiar with the whole dance; I doubt it's their first such gig, if the owners are into this sort of thing as the making-of implies.
PeregrineV
PeregrineV
Survivor
PeregrineV
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3002 (ISO) » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:39 am

Post by PeregrineV »

Honest Video Trailer for Game of Thrones Season 1-3 (there is a non-spoiled version offered at the beginning of the video)

Spoiler: Have no idea if it's NSFW, but for everyone's sake, let's say "No".
I will have
Limited Access
on weekends.
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #3003 (ISO) » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:59 am

Post by Shadoweh »

There's an entire minute dedicated to boob shots. I think we can safely put that one in the NSFW pile.
I HATE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE GO JUMP INTO A FREEZING LAKE - Mr. Freeze
And this was like me realizing that you were a serial killer. - Hathor
"but I must declare my love to Edelgard here, i offer you the treasure I stole from Raphael, an idol LOL" - Shamir
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #3004 (ISO) » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:27 am

Post by Porochaz »

Well, Littlefinger is a complete and utter dick. Still like him though.

I can't decide if I like the Dragon girl and her whole thing yet though. It seems to just be meh...

Jon Snow also seems to be a very dull distraction still.
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3005 (ISO) » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:24 pm

Post by zoraster »

Man. I'm glad I don't watch any show ever with Korts. what a wet blanket.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #3006 (ISO) » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:21 pm

Post by Tierce »

In post 3005, zoraster wrote:Man. I'm glad I don't watch any show ever with Korts. what a wet blanket.
I know how you feel; whenever he comes up on screen I feel instantly disappointed with the whole episode.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #3007 (ISO) » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:56 am

Post by Porochaz »

David Bradley playing a creep of a character... there's a surprise.

Oh and cut away from both battles. Yay! No action!

Ned Stark wasn't that great a character. Not sure why it shocked people.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #3008 (ISO) » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:00 am

Post by Porochaz »

So, thats me done Season 1. I'll be honest, I'm not sure I get it...

Yes there are characters I'm rooting for (Tyrion, Arya, Ros, the prostitute who is in it for no reason and I think I've fallen in love with, Robb, I guess...) but overall I found a lot of characters dull, (just all of the wall, Ned, Sansa) or got wearing after a while (Joffrey, Robert, Jamie, Cersei, naked dragon girl, who at least looks promising come series 2).

I don't get the hype. The show is watchable, but Im not thinking "I need to watch the next episode ASAP." I got more into Archer at the same time (although Im starting to wear thin on that as well) Maybe I know too much, like Ned Starks storyline, so Im not shocked. Jamie pushing Bran was shocking, the Jamie/Ned fight also. It's been very difficult to comment on the episodes, when I leave them entertained but not really bothered if I go onto the next episode.

Maybe season 2 will change that.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #3009 (ISO) » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:08 am

Post by Faraday »

If you knew of Ned dying before hand i don't think you can honestly evaluate if his death was surprising or not. (I think I'm reading it right that you did? I think if spoiled it's easy to dismiss many things as "being obvious"). It's shocking because very few shows will kill their "main character", off. It's just about as simple as that, I think.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #3010 (ISO) » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:16 am

Post by Porochaz »

Thats fair, although Im not sure I would have called him the main character. (Although I know Im in the wrong) There was so much going on not to do with him or with him purely as a macguffin. From about half way through as well, it became obvious that it was going to be difficult for Ned to get out of the situation he was in. I mean obviously I might be saying that from a point of view of knowing, but I would assume that I'd find it very hard to stay on board with Ned when all he did after episode 1 was make bad decision after bad decision. Which I was comparing to the boy who wasn't a dragon all the way through...
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3011 (ISO) » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:17 am

Post by Iecerint »

In post 3008, Porochaz wrote:Yes there are characters I'm rooting for (Tyrion, Arya, Ros, the prostitute who is in it for no reason and I think I've fallen in love with, Robb, I guess...) but overall I found a lot of characters dull, (just all of the wall, Ned, Sansa) or got wearing after a while (Joffrey, Robert, Jamie, Cersei, naked dragon girl, who at least looks promising come series 2).
Is the prostitute phrase an appositive describing Ros, or are you describing Shae?
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #3012 (ISO) » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:23 am

Post by Porochaz »

Was describing Ros.
evilpacman18
evilpacman18
Mafia Scum
evilpacman18
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3013 (ISO) » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:04 am

Post by evilpacman18 »

In post 3009, Faraday wrote:If you knew of Ned dying before hand i don't think you can honestly evaluate if his death was surprising or not. (I think I'm reading it right that you did? I think if spoiled it's easy to dismiss many things as "being obvious"). It's shocking because very few shows will kill their "main character", off. It's just about as simple as that, I think.
I didn't know and I really didn't like the show for a while after cuz it felt so aimless without being centered around a traditional main. I didn't really get interested in the show again until the second half of season three.
I play piano and competitive Smash 4 under the tag EPM
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #3014 (ISO) » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:10 am

Post by chamber »

Tyrion carried season 2 so hard.
Taking a break from the site.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3015 (ISO) » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:10 am

Post by Rhinox »

I read the books before I watched the show and it took me a while to really get into it. I don't know what it was about the first season, if it was that I knew everything that was coming or I was trying to work out how the characters I created in my head while reading matched the show characters, or if it was just the lower budget campy feel or the poorer acting 1-dimensional characters (both comparatively to the later seasons) but I remember when I got through season 1 I remember thinking that the show wasn't nearly as good as people were making it out to be. Seasons 2 and 3 were what sold it for me as the characters were developed more and became less 1-dimensional. Now when I go back and rewatch season 1 I appreciate it a lot more than the first time I watched it.
PeregrineV
PeregrineV
Survivor
PeregrineV
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3016 (ISO) » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:19 am

Post by PeregrineV »

In post 3003, Shadoweh wrote:There's an entire minute dedicated to boob shots. I think we can safely put that one in the NSFW pile.
They got those little black boxes to cover the nudity....
I will have
Limited Access
on weekends.
Seacore
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3017 (ISO) » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:14 pm

Post by Seacore »

There's 'insta-fired NSFW'

and there's 'career limiting NSFW'

it's good to encompass both with your warnings.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3018 (ISO) » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:32 am

Post by Rhinox »

Not sure if anyone else heard this yet:

Spoiler:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/0 ... 61430.html

apparently Bran and Hodor are getting season 5 off.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3019 (ISO) » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:05 am

Post by quadz08 »

Oh man I am actually so glad they are doing that
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Ser Davos
Ser Davos
Townie
Ser Davos
Townie
Townie

Post Post #3020 (ISO) » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:56 am

Post by Ser Davos »

As you can guess I like the show. Although I'm more of a books fan.

Regarding Rhinox's piece of news:

Spoiler:
The actor who plays Bran has stated he's filming the next season. So unless he's fooling us, it seems Bran actually is in.
http://winteriscoming.net/2014/09/04/is ... me-thrones

Though I actually concur with quadz08 that
it wouldn't be much of a miss. That storyline is so far ahead of most of the others, anyway.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3021 (ISO) » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:14 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

This was really well done.
green shirt thursdays
springlullaby
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3022 (ISO) » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:57 pm

Post by springlullaby »

I didn't get to enjoy much of last season because there was too much Wall stuff, and I can't be bothered. The duel between the Mountain and the Viper was great though.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3023 (ISO) » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:05 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

Okay, so, Telltale's Game of Thrones game just came out. Episode 1 is "Iron from Ice". I just finished it.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. PLEASE GO PLAY IT. YOU WON'T REGRET IT.

Spoiler:
So, this is definitely Game of Thrones. The killing of Rodrick and Gregor at the start was supposed to mirror the deaths of Robb and Ned. It worked wonderfully. They start you off at the Red Wedding, and when they show The Twins, you immediately start thinking, "Oh fucking shit, fuck me..." and when they start showing the Freys holding their weapons, you start to panic, "Fuck fuck fuck, we have to get out of here, I KNOW WHAT IS COMING!"

The decision to start the story at the Twins was just fucking perfect. It's the most gutwrenching moment in the series, and the killing of the patriarch and the son of House Forrester parallel what we've come to expect from Westeros. It let you know, from the start, where we stood and what was happening. It worked.

My only concern is that they seem to be mirroring House Stark a bit too much. I mean, you can basically draw a direct comparison between everyone:

Gregor = Ned: House Patriarch, noble, loyal, honorable. Loved by all.
Elissa = Catelyn: Wife to the patriarch, forced to try and step up when her husband is murdered.
Rodrik = Robb: Great solider/warrior, the next in line to lead his house, offed in a betrayal at the Red Wedding.
Mira = Sansa: Timid girl in King's Landing, away from the family, living in proximity to the Royal Family. Meant to be a window to the politics.
Talia = Arya: Youngest daughter, strong-willed, wiser than lets on.
Ethan = Bran: Young boy forced into Lordhood when father/brother die. Unsure how to proceed, must balance being kind and merciful with having a strong hand. Advised by a maester.
Ryon = Rickon: Youngest boy, scared, crybaby, naive.

I mean, everything lines up so perfectly, it ALMOST feels lazy. But there's enough separating the characters, there, to make it feel okay. It even lines up with Gerad being the "son but not quite a son" who is sent to the Wall. The only wildcard in the family is Asher.

I did enjoy what happens with the storytelling, here. It's interesting, as a player, to have this vast knowledge of what is going on elsewhere in the world and having that influence your decisions.

Gerad's segments felt the weakest in this episode... he's there to setup the story, kill some Boltons, watch his family die, then be all sad and dejected and get sent to the Wall. I don't feel like I ever had to make a tough decision with him. "WILL YOU TELL THE SECRET THAT LORD FORRESTER TOLD YOU TO ONLY TELL YOUR UNCLE? OR WILL YOU TELL THE SECRET?" was about as 'dynamic' as the decisions got. Didn't feel that high-stakes, and perhaps his story will be expanded in future episodes, but for now, he's basically filler. I mean, what was the point of the whole scene where he spies on Ramsay at the campfire flaying the guy? I just sat there and didn't touch anything and let the scene play out. Pretty pointless.

But the other two segments were so great! Mira's segments in King's Landing were absolutely spot on. The whole time I was playing as her, I felt very tense. Even though the setting was perhaps the most peaceful, talking to Sersei, Margaery, and Sera was the most intense I felt the whole game. Do I take a strong hand with Cersei so she'll know not to fuck with me, or do I appease her? Can I ask this favor of Margaery, or will it hurt my standing with her? Is Sera trustworthy and a real friend, or is she one of Cersei's little birds that tattles on everything Margaery does? The conversations in those moments made me think. I actually paused the game and smoked a cigarette while I waited to make my decision a couple of times. The politics, the two-facedness, everything felt exactly how it should be in King's Landing.

Meanwhile, Ethan's segments felt heavy. The decisions there were very difficult, as I tried to decide what kind of ruler I wanted to be. Was I merciful? Was I harsh? Did I support brute force, cunning wit, or financial savvy? Would I let my mother undermine me, or would I take a strong hand with her? These felt like classic Game of Thrones dynamics and more importantly, Ethan felt much like Clementine did in The Walking Dead... a young child that would grow up how you let them grow up. It all seemed perfect. I took pride in not letting Ramsay push me around, even as things got grim, and I pondered how Ethan would work with a garrison of White--OH MY FUCKING GOD DID RAMSAY JUST FUCKING STAB THE MAIN CHARACTER, A CHILD, IN THE FUCKING NECK?

FUCK YOU TELLTALE GAMES. FUCK. YOU.
Last edited by xRECKONERx on Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
green shirt thursdays
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #3024 (ISO) » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:18 pm

Post by Oman »

Spoiler: Episode One Stuff
So, Reck, first off fix your shit :P Gared is the guy that feels the weakest and goes to the wall. I think we'll get to see him later and if he becomes a Rangers and becomes empowered he'll have more pressing decisions (AND OH MY GOD A MECHANIC WILL ASSIST IN STORYTELLING!). That's my hope, anyway. Otherwise he's a narrative device and that's lame.

I think the Ramsay scene is just to set up Ramsay as heartless, so that the final scene has weight/danger.

You've summed up exactly how I felt at the end too. The whole lead up, feeling excited about how to run my community, wondering how best to make my name as a Lord. Then...you know...he fuckin' bleeds out. Woop Woop.

Does a good thing having the wildcard in Asher set up to return. If he comes back, he'll get the Lordship (if I predict correctly) then we can see some awesome shit.
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts

Return to “General Discussion”