Newbie 1521: Game of Death(OVER)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Starling
Starling
Townie
Starling
Townie
Townie

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:00 am

Post by Starling »

From what I've seen, generally RVS goes on until something happens that causes someone to make a serious accusation.
I now see why GM didn't like the announcement that RVS was over.
(As a sidenote, I am trying to come up with an alternative nickname for "goodmorning"; I'm in a vampire LARP so I'm used to GM meaning something very different. :] I can't come up with anything I like better though.)
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:03 am

Post by goodmorning »

Some suggestions for people who aren't sure what to say:
-Look for things that might be odd.
-Ask people questions.
-Talk about the TRex wagon, which appears to be at L-2.
-If you have a strong enough read, possibly discuss it.

P-EDIT: Yeah, gm is what I usually get. Pretty much anything is fine as long as it's identifiable, though.
EFFORT IS NOT INDICATIVE OF ALIGNMENT
LA during normal working and sleeping hours EST

Get to know a very pleasant AM.
Riabi
Riabi
Goon
Riabi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:21 am

Post by Riabi »

In post 51, goodmorning wrote:
-Ask people questions.
-Talk about the TRex wagon, which appears to be at L-2.

P-EDIT: Yeah, gm is what I usually get. Pretty much anything is fine as long as it's identifiable, though.

Here's a noob question for you... :) What does L-2 mean?
TyrannicalTRex
TyrannicalTRex
Townie
TyrannicalTRex
Townie
Townie

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:38 am

Post by TyrannicalTRex »

It means I'm two votes away from being lynched. With 9 people alive it takes 5 votes (majority) to lynch someone and I'm at 3 votes at the moment.
Espressojet
Espressojet
Mafia Scum
Espressojet
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:50 am

Post by Espressojet »

Hey, GM, question.

How do
you
go about scumhunting on these forums.
Kiboat
Kiboat
Townie
Kiboat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:14 am

Post by Kiboat »

Argh, the forum ate my post.

I dislike the wagon on Rex, currently. As of now he is two votes from being lynched, and no reason has been offered for why. We may or may not still be in RVS, but it still feels incredibly pointless and strange. Close to all discussion of Rex's behavior has come from Starling and goodmorning, people who didn't vote for him in the first place.

I have a few questions for Nuff, since I don't really like their combination of general silence and moving Rex fairly close to being lynched. So Nuff, when you're available, is there anything about Rex that strikes you as unusual or that would merit his being at L-2? And is there anything else in this thread that you think is suspicious or worth discussing?
Espressojet
Espressojet
Mafia Scum
Espressojet
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:18 am

Post by Espressojet »

Nick Cage, Nuff, lurk less
Starling
Starling
Townie
Starling
Townie
Townie

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:25 am

Post by Starling »

I dislike Nuff making a vote with a random-sounding justification, with said vote putting Rex at L-2, after bitmap's announcement that RVS is over.
(But again, Newbie game. And it's totally possible he (?) didn't realize it was L-2.)
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:35 am

Post by goodmorning »

In post 52, Riabi wrote:Here's a noob question for you... :) What does L-2 mean?

What TRex said. It's short for "Lynch minus 2 votes," meaning one is two votes away from a lynch.

In post 54, Espressojet wrote:Hey, GM, question.

How do
you
go about scumhunting on these forums.

Very carefully.

To be more serious: it depends on what you mean by scumhunting.
To answer the question I think you're asking: A method I sometimes use is PoE, where I start by gaining townreads, and shrink the lynch pool that way. I also tend to look for things I find out of the ordinary. And, of course, I've played enough newbie games that I can sometimes spot patterns of similarity in people's playstyles.

Now, about Nuff's voting: Did anyone notice who TRex's vote is on?

Riabi
Riabi
Goon
Riabi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:38 am

Post by Riabi »

In post 58, goodmorning wrote:
Now, about Nuff's voting: Did anyone notice who TRex's vote is on?

Are you suggesting that you think Nuff's vote might be retaliatory?
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:43 am

Post by goodmorning »

Possibly, though I'd expect an OMGUS vote to be in some way identified as one.

Bitmap
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:44 am

Post by Bitmap »

I'll post tomorrow.
"I give up on trying to read you. You're unimaginably scummy, with a dose of ultra-Town thrown in for spice."
Riabi
Riabi
Goon
Riabi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:22 pm

Post by Riabi »

It does seem a bit suspicious that Nuff made such a short post, and only gave a cursory reason for voting that way. Because of that and because of the fact that T-Rex is L - 2 and I'm not sure he's done anything to justify that... VOTE: Nuff
Nuff
Nuff
Goon
Nuff
Goon
Goon

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:47 pm

Post by Nuff »

In post 55, Kiboat wrote:

I have a few questions for Nuff, since I don't really like their combination of general silence and moving Rex fairly close to being lynched. So Nuff, when you're available, is there anything about Rex that strikes you as unusual or that would merit his being at L-2? And is there anything else in this thread that you think is suspicious or worth discussing?

Honestly no, nothing really strikes me as suspicious. I also didn't realize I put them to L-2, but at this stage in the game, with no real information to go off of, what are we to do? Not sure why or how RVS is out of the question, no one has really gave any scumreads so I'm a bit confused on that.

Didn't notice Rex voted for me until goodmorning mentioned it. Ah-hah! Even so, I'm not really one to jump on wagons. This is my first game here on mafiascum but I've played on another site for a few weeks now. I'll go ahead and take back my vote, even though I stand by my original statement.

UNVOTE: Trex

Dinosaurs are scary. :c
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:14 pm

Post by goodmorning »

^Both previous posts are interesting and I want to discuss them.

I'm going to wait to do so for now, though. I encourage everyone to guess why I might find them interesting though.

Espressojet
Espressojet
Mafia Scum
Espressojet
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:20 pm

Post by Espressojet »

Nuff's vote just seems like an honest to god RVS with some humor backing it, and the backtrack looks honest, coming from a newb, and can be justified.

Riabi looks like he's looking for a reason to get a lynch going, and a little too eager to follow camp.

For now,
F
inger
o
f
S
uspicion towards Riabi
Riabi
Riabi
Goon
Riabi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:01 pm

Post by Riabi »

In post 65, Espressojet wrote:
Riabi looks like he's looking for a reason to get a lynch going, and a little too eager to follow camp.

For now,
F
inger
o
f
S
uspicion towards Riabi

I'm not looking to get a lynch going. On the contrary, in fact. I felt like people were piling up on T-Rex and I didn't see any good reason for it, and since I was the first person to vote for him, and I didn't see any reason to suspect him, I felt like it was time to take my vote off of him. Then, to be honest, I kinda forgot that I could unvote, so I just moved my vote to the only person I have any real suspicion of.

UNVOTE: Nuff Because I don't feel like a random vote is appropriate from me right now, and I'm really not sure enough of anyone to cast a vote.
DoctorPepper
DoctorPepper
Coca-Cola
DoctorPepper
Coca-Cola
Coca-Cola

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:09 pm

Post by DoctorPepper »

Vote Count 1.01

Bitmap(2)
- Kiboat, NicCage
Espressojet(1)
- goodmorning
goodmorning(1)
- Bitmap
Nuff(1)
- TyrannicalTRex
TyrannicalTRex(1)
- Espressojet
Not Voting(3)
- Riabi, Starling, Nuff

Vote History:

Riabi - , ,
Kiboat -
Starling -
Espressojet -
Nuff - ,
TyrannicalTRex -
Bitmap -
NicCage -
goodmorning -

With 9 alive, it's 5 to lynch.

Deadline is on Saturday, August 2, 2014, 5:00 AM{(expired on 2014-08-02 05:00:00)}

Mod notes:

None for now.
Show
Keep calm and Drink Dr Pepper :)

Quarantine is driving me crazy :(

Get to know a Pepper!!!
Starling
Starling
Townie
Starling
Townie
Townie

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:51 pm

Post by Starling »

Riabi feels skittish, but I'm not sure if this is scum-skittish or newb-skittish.

Espresso pretty much said what I was going to say about Nuff, now that Nuff has responded. However,
Nuff wrote: Even so, I'm not really one to jump on wagons.
is bothering me.

I do find it notable that the Rex wagon has pretty much vanished in two posts as soon as it was questioned, but again, I don't know whether to attribute that to newbieness or scumminess.

And having seen that votecount I feel guilty being the only one who hasn't put a vote down yet, but if I were to put one down now it would be just for the sake of doing it, not with any confidence of the scumminess of the person I voted.
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:37 am

Post by goodmorning »

In post 65, Espressojet wrote:Nuff's vote just seems like an honest to god RVS with some humor backing it, and the backtrack looks honest, coming from a newb, and can be justified.

Is "newb" alignment-indicative?

In post 66, Riabi wrote:I'm not looking to get a lynch going. On the contrary, in fact. I felt like people were piling up on T-Rex and I didn't see any good reason for it, and since I was the first person to vote for him, and I didn't see any reason to suspect him, I felt like it was time to take my vote off of him. Then, to be honest, I kinda forgot that I could unvote, so I just moved my vote to the only person I have any real suspicion of.

UNVOTE: Nuff Because I don't feel like a random vote is appropriate from me right now, and I'm really not sure enough of anyone to cast a vote.

Hmmmmmmm.

In post 68, Starling wrote:I do find it notable that the Rex wagon has pretty much vanished in two posts as soon as it was questioned, but again, I don't know whether to attribute that to newbieness or scumminess.

I like this piece of analysis.

TyrannicalTRex
TyrannicalTRex
Townie
TyrannicalTRex
Townie
Townie

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:51 am

Post by TyrannicalTRex »

In post 62, Riabi wrote:It does seem a bit suspicious that Nuff made such a short post, and only gave a cursory reason for voting that way. Because of that and because of the fact that T-Rex is L - 2 and I'm not sure he's done anything to justify that... VOTE: Nuff

In post 66, Riabi wrote:
In post 65, Espressojet wrote:

For now,
F
inger
o
f
S
uspicion towards Riabi

I'm not looking to get a lynch going. On the contrary, in fact. I felt like people were piling up on T-Rex and I didn't see any good reason for it, and since I was the first person to vote for him, and I didn't see any reason to suspect him, I felt like it was time to take my vote off of him. Then, to be honest, I kinda forgot that I could unvote, so I just moved my vote to the only person I have any real suspicion of.

Not sure how I feel about Riabi switching back and forth in opinions...He seems to simply be following along with other people's posts with opinions and trying (almost too hard) not to stir the waters.
Riabi
Riabi
Goon
Riabi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:12 am

Post by Riabi »

While I understand some of the suspicion. It really was a noob error on my part. Had I remembered about being able to completely remove my vote, I would have done so when I took my vote off of you T-Rex. I'm all for trying to get a lynch going once I have a strong suspicion, but right now I don't.

The only reads I'm getting right now is perhaps a town read on espressojet, and maybe a scum read on GM. She seems to be really pushing the "I'll let you noobs talk about everything before I give my opinion" line hard. I've looked through some of the other games she's been an IC for, and it's possible I'm reading too much into this, but it appears to me like she's been much more willing to share her opinion early in past games than in this one.
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:16 am

Post by goodmorning »

In post 71, Riabi wrote:I've looked through some of the other games she's been an IC for, and it's possible I'm reading too much into this, but it appears to me like she's been much more willing to share her opinion early in past games than in this one.

I tend to share more when the SEs are talkative, or when I know them extremely well. That said, a lot of my recent Newbie games have been as a replacement, but here are a few examples of me using the quiet strategy:
Spoiler: N1451
In post 46, goodmorning wrote:I have a few thoughts but I'm going to keep them under my hat for now.

In post 74, goodmorning wrote:Probably I should say this better. "I" and "C" are two letters which can directly and/or indirectly influence the thought processes of newbs, whether consciously or not.
Normally, I don't care overmuch about this.
Normally, I have better than gut by now and the newbies have posted more.
Make of that what you will.

In post 82, goodmorning wrote:As to your previous questions, there are very good reasons for me to hang back for now. I did it in N1305 in an attempt to get evidence for my scumread, for instance, but I think I said what I'm going for here best in N1402:
In post 27, goodmorning wrote:
In post 24, Edosurist wrote:@GM, NS, and Scar (in order of importance, least to greatest)
Why didn't you guys try to make content out of your recent posts? Page 1 fluff can lead to page 2 fluff which can lead to long, drawn out games.

Mainly because literally you, me and notsci are the only ones who've posted anything more than "Vote: x; insert silly reason here". I want to see what the newbies have got to say for themselves rather than drop ideas that might be sheeped.

Spoiler: N1458
In post 92, goodmorning wrote:
In post 84, Mr_Blonde wrote:
In post 83, goodmorning wrote:
In post 65, Mr_Blonde wrote:Sure GM, let's start with yours.

No way no how am I putting out a strong opinion in this climate. IC is a position that holds a little weight this early on, and with all the sheep around it would be more trouble than it's worth for me to try and sort the Scum sheep from the Town sheep.

So basically what you are saying is that it isn't in your interests to try and figure out who the scum are? Notable.
Also, I think it's sort of lame you'd use your slot as IC as a reason not to put out reads.

No, I am saying that it is in my interests not to share too heavily at this point in the game. IC reads can be a valuable tool to watch people sheep on, but with so many sheep in this game already it renders that value close to nil.

If you need evidence that this is not alignment-indicative for me, check out some of my more recent (completed) Newbie games.

Spoiler: N1511
In post 33, goodmorning wrote:I feel satisfied with people generally. Have seen some things that look mildly townish but don't want to go into them yet.

In post 49, goodmorning wrote:
In post 35, RandomIdiot wrote:
In post 31, hephaestus wrote:What exactly is wrong with "omgus" when it's still RVS? RI didn't say it was a serious vote. It seemed to me its "I don't think I need to explain" was just a funny retort to your "Obvious reasons".

Yeah, I should probably unvote.

Unvote

I totally missed this post last night. I'm going to talk about it a little later.

In post 58, goodmorning wrote:I'll ask and answer questions, but don't expect many reads from me for the first part of the day. Some ICs are fond of and good at the "sheep me to victory" approach. I'm not one of those. I want to see what the newbies have to say before I start making statements. Rest assured, I'm hunting behind the scenes while this is going on. I already have a few preliminary townreads and a mayyyybe-slightly-scumread.

In post 103, goodmorning wrote:I want to come back to that readslist later.

I want to talk more about other stuff, but I'm going to wait for more from the SEs and Nuff first.

Starling
Starling
Townie
Starling
Townie
Townie

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:36 am

Post by Starling »

re: GM- I was thinking about that (especially considering her last post, which seems to be rather detached) but hadn't done any meta reading to back it up. Still haven't. Going to take a look now.

As for reads, I'm liking Kiboat for town at this point. He seems engaged, and I like that he's been talking to pretty much everyone, not singling anyone out as either friend or foe.
Riabi was looking scummy for awhile but he's looking better now.
Nuff has basically said nothing, which is unhelpful, but he doesn't really seem to know what to do.

@Riabi: Why Espresso for town?

PEdit: GM's response noted. Going to check out other games just in case.
Riabi
Riabi
Goon
Riabi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:53 am

Post by Riabi »

In post 73, Starling wrote:
@Riabi: Why Espresso for town?

Well, there's this:
In post 56, Espressojet wrote:Nick Cage, Nuff, lurk less

Here he is drawing out another user to engage him. Why bother if he's scum? Maybe to try to look town, but, then there's his defense of Nuff here:

In post 65, Espressojet wrote:Nuff's vote just seems like an honest to god RVS with some humor backing it, and the backtrack looks honest, coming from a newb, and can be justified.

Whether you agree with his defense or not, why potentially draw suspicion away from two other players?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”