Mini 429: Planar Chaos Mafia- Finally over (thanks ABR!)

Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #325 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2007 5:10 pm

Post by Ectomancer »

Thestatusquo wrote:
Ectomancer wrote:
Cephrir wrote:
Ecto wrote:Speaking of nondefenses, do you plan to respond to my questions to you?
What questions?

And here's a definite opinion for you, TSQ.
Vote Ecto
Here they are again. BTW, this response perfectly illustrates your willingness to push what you percieve as the popular wagon without bothering to comment on the content at all, or present anything yourself.
Ectomancer wrote:
Cephrir wrote:
Cavane wrote:You have some good points in there, and I'm considering them. I'd like to see how Ecto responds before I consider changing my vote. I'm also curious as to why you've waited this long to present your case. The posts you quoted have all been around for over a week.
Quoted For Obligatory "Me Too."
Cephrir wrote:
Unvote

I'm thinking Yama or Ecto.
Let's see. You have 8 posts, which consist of "gut feelings", an explanation of where you get your gut feelings, a single post where you actually gave 2 one liners of legitimate material, and a "me too".
Concerning the "me too", you didn't even address the reply at all. Just a "Im thinking Yama or Ecto"? Are you not even going to attempt to address the holes in TSQ's "case" that I pointed out? Do you have actual logical reasons for your votes or will we just need to accept your "gut feelings" on things this game?
As irritated as I am at Quag, players making "cases" full of holes, and then Cephir pushing the popular wagons
without addressing the actual content or building a case of his own
is going to have me moving my vote in very short order.
I agree with this.
Also surprisingly, I'm beginning to think you're town. I'll go back and look at your arguments again and see if I can address what exactly it is you are trying to make a point about. I read your response concerning the holes in your case regarding the "wagon" on Quag. If I were to yield a point that "momentum" can be considered a type of wagon, then on my first vote for Quag, I can maybe see your point. I would counter that despite the FOS's, I put my money where my mouth is and voted. Personally I feel that making a committment is more of a town tell than weak accusations and no follow up.
On the 2nd vote, I'll have to disagree with you. Yama had just voted after a lull, and he was jumped for it. In the middle of all that, I took exception to Quag's responses yet again and went after him again. However, rather than going with the "momentum" on Yama, I clearly bucked the momentum to pressure Quag yet again to help the town at some point in this game.
So, I still don't buy this whole thing about me jumping on a bandwagon on Quag. If you really look back over the posts, I'm the architect, not a passenger.

The rest of our "discussion" looks to me like us arguing over what we are arguing about. The primary one being that I don't think the basic premise in your initial "scum trap" holds water. The major flaw being that your 'scum trap" assumes that you would be the only person doing anything to get us out of the random stage. The "Kison already agreed to be the daykill" comment? That was me mocking your dayvig "claim". Obviously, tongue-in-cheek comments don't translate well on the internet. Apparently I neglected to put a :rolleyes: in there. I use quick reply so emotes are rare in my replies.

If you want something else specific addressed, ask again. The holes in your "case" over Quag had me convinced you were scum with a dog and pony show going on, and I had little interest in helping you make a mountain out of a smoke and mirrors molehill. I did finally get what you were trying to explain about the momentum, so that makes me feel better about your attack on me, but Im still not certain that we are even arguing on the same page or topic in other areas.
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #326 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2007 5:15 pm

Post by Ectomancer »

Quagmire wrote:
Thestatusquo wrote:AFAICT, your reasoning is basically "AniX does not help the town, therefore it is a good thing to lynch him. He also has as much chance to be scum as anyone else, so lynching him today is ok."

If I'm missing something, please direct me to it, but otherwise, it sure doesn't fly with me.
Here you go:
Quagmire wrote:
AniX wrote:I think we should vote Quag for poor word usage. Its about as valid and relevant to the game as any logic he has brought to the game at all. :mrgreen:

I don't know if lynching Quag is the best answer, because we all know that being a asswipe who is ruining the game experience for others doesn't really translate to being mafia. I guess the best we could hope for is Quagmire to get fed up with our lack of support for his stupidity and ask to be replaced, thereby giving his potential townie role an actual player rather than a literal record that is damaged. But barring that, I would suggest we all just ignore him and focus on something else. It can be related to the Quag fallout, since thats basically all we got going for us, but voting Quag is going to get us shit nowhere at this point.
if you were to read my logic, in no way am i trying to ruin the game experience of others. there's no useful actual information that's going to be thrown out there on day one; the best thing that anyone is going to come up with is speculation and theories.

by the way, i'm pretty sure that you're evil right now anyway, regardless of whether or not you think my theory is valid. you're completely downplaying all of my logic and acting as if you're above it, when everybody else who hasn't agreed with me has at least challenged me and put pressure on me (see: kison).

on that note, though -- what should we focus on, anix? have you had anything useful to participate so far? the answer, of course, is a resounding
no
; the only contributions you've made is an occasional chime-in of condescending mantra over how my logic is stupid and worthless, combined with a total lack of display of emotion and defense of me otherwise. this is duly noted, because if you pursued any alternatives, you would be totally viewed as scummy -- an emotional, OMGUS response would be a sign of weakness and nerves.

i disagree, then, with the people who say that i've contributed less than anix. i have contributed way more to the discussion and day then lurker anix has -- considering all he's been doing is being totally inoffensive to everyone and defending everyone who he gets a chance to.

happy, guys? kison? i'm scumhunting and speculating.
Quag, you could substitute CPE for Anix in there and have it be equally true. However, I'm saying that on page 14 after observing their play. You on the other hand, took up this position on day 1 and haven't altered one iota despite those 14 pages. The thing is, you haven't even really added to it since then! You are posting longer and saying the same thing. I want to lynch Anix and that's my reason. Lame.
Yamahako
Yamahako
Mafia Scum
Yamahako
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #327 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2007 11:54 pm

Post by Yamahako »

I'll address what I don't like about the ectomancer case:

1.) The day kill thing does nothing if you don't take responsibility for your actions. You can't be a proponent for 'lying being a good townie behavior' and then expect people to have any kind of readable actions based on your little stunts. You claimed to be a dayvig in a very cheeky way, and anyone who reacted to it could also have been interpreted to do so either ignoring the stunt or messing around with you right back. That's the problem with claiming to lie as town - no one will believe you.

2.) This is followed up with a weak attack based on Lynch All Liars. As you've seen in the post you created on the discussion board TSQ - most good players think there may be a RARE time to lie as town - but in general it is a good meta strategy to lynch all liars. Regardless you attack Ecto for bringing up some of your comments to discredit your opinion - and its actually a good point on his part. If you are constantly joking around and making false statements - it DOES change how things you say are to be trusted.

3.) I agree that attacking people for doing something you've been doing is not very smart. You've been doing this too, however. So you're attacking someone for attacking you for doing something that they've been doing when you've been attacking them for attacking you for doing something that you've been doing.

4.) His arguments regarding the use of outside the game familiarities aren't strong, I'll give you that. I don't know if they are an honest attempt at placing suspicion though.

5.) I see your point that he was backing off way too sharply - but in your analysis of this post you are leaving off the fact that he IS addressing some of your previous objections and answering your claims against him. What more do you really want?

6.) The argument about outside names, in my opinion, holds no water inside the state of the game.

7.) I think post 13 was an honest attempt to stop discussion that was dooming the game. I don't think he was looking for approval necessarily - but I do think he wanted to drop the issue.

8.) I'm not sure voting Quag - who wasn't being voted just ignored - was scummy. Putting pressure whom you think is doing something suspicious is bad for town? I don't think so personally... Anix vote by Ecto was a bad play and I believe something Ecto did because of the incredible rudeness directed at him. Should the vote have been made, probably not. Is it evidence of scummy behavior - as I said before I think the argument regarding the outside names holds no value in determining scum in this game.

9.) This post you quoted is full of true meta-strategy and analysis. The fact that you dismiss it was the biggest reasons I find this whole case rather forced. Ecto's defense of this point of his attack on Quagmire is rather comprehensive and I feel no need to add to it. I don't agree with Ecto's attack of Quagmire - but that doesn't make him inherently scummy.
Your last point is rather bad. Ecto has been contributing - more so than CPE (and others) by VOLUMES. You may not agree with his points (nor may I) but there isn't more than misconstrued logic (not crap logic) that is making them unpalatable. I don't find they points made in your case anywhere near enough for a vote to be honest.

In your first response against his defense - you do make a good point - but you exaggerate it. Ecto is applying a straw man defense in many ways - but that's not true for EVERYTHING he's been saying to defend himself. And even though the nature of the argument he puts across (as in the form it takes) is in its execution a fallacy - the content of it is often not. Pointing out Kison voted first is NOT a tell. Your actions were NOT going to expose any kind of scum. Seriously townies would be as likely to avoid the vote as scum after that display if they believed you - and if they didn't their actions following your outburst AREN'T telling.

In your next attack of his defense YOU put up the straw man. Rather than address HIS points, you create a false point that he didn't defend. Your point WAS that LAL is not a strong strategy and Ecto attacked that (rightfully so in my opinion). Any attack on CPE is good town play - especially when he admits he doesn't want to help town...

Your next attack was AGAIN a straw man tactic - for someone who seems to think this is damning of Ecto you sure use it a lot... HIS point was that it doesn't matter if you respond to multiple posts with one post - your reply was "you hid two posts in one." How does that combat his point? You also attack him for not saying why scum would react to your behavior - but his behavior wasn't really strange enough to attract attention. Maybe this is an issue of not knowing how to get the proper reaction - but WHY would someone needs to know why scum would react to their behavior IF THEY WERE TOWN?

Scum want easy lynches sure - but scum like built up cases that have the air of legitimacy more. Ecto has not been attacking the easiest lynch so far this game - Dean is FAR more indicative of that behavior. Ecto put some understandable pressure on Quagmire. My agreeing with Quagmire aside - it isn't scummy behavior. You're saying that townies seeing scummy behavior and acting on it is scummy behavior in so many words. That's just plain WRONG.

Guys, lets continue the trend of TSQ trying to defend inexcusable actions by attributing honest emotional reactions with scum tells. Because that's constructive <sarc>. YOUR the one not getting the point - HES not the one that keeps bringing up your inappropriate behavior - YOU are using his reaction of that behavior as an attack against HIM. YOU are missing the point - This behavior is pointless to the finding of scum, it makes the game less fun, makes people feel uncomfortable about playing with you and HINDERS THE GAME. So drop it. It's not a tell. Move along.

You can test the waters in far better ways. An unexplained vote during a lull in the game designed to illict responses is far more effective and far less offensive than the tactics you've tried the game (which in all honesty have amounted to nothing in the way of finding scum no matter how you try and spin it.)

3 of 4 of your "arguments" are about the same thing - the inappropriate behavior by you, CPE, and Anix and are invalid. The other point you didn't really make in any clear way as I've just been re-reading these arguments and its not in there. And yes, the volume of the case IS fluff. It could have been said in far fewer words with less quotes and been as effective. The only reason I can think of to make it that long would be to see if people wouldn't scrutinize it point by point as I am doing.

I understand your point about pressure - but I disagree - if there are NO votes on someone no matter what the tenor of the town there's no real pressure. Ecto did the right thing if he thought that Quag needed some incentive to explain his actions. YOU are the scummy one in this scenario for attacking that point so vehemantly.

Ecto's defense of your next attack was crap. He didn't summarize your points adequately and it doesn't really seem like he read it throughly. He did come across a bit too complacent regarding it - I would have as well considering that it was utter crap - but I would have actually had a good reason to.

To summarize for all the TLDR people: I think TSQ's attack was basically either made up of crap reasons, non-tells, or a discussion that was outside the realm of this game and thus is largely invalid. Ecto has what appears to be no skill in defense and makes himself look even worse, which is unfortunate if he's town

I don't think Ecto is the play, I'd love to see an Anix lynch but we aren't going to today. Dean or Cephrir (Ecto's attack is far better than his defense) shouldn't survive to tomorrow - but I'm leaning more on Dean because I think he's more obviously scum lazy townie like Cephrir and CPE. TSQ, I don't really like your method of playing, but that shouldn't be enough to condemn you. If I garnered one thing from your attack and reading out of game material its that you may actually believe what you say is beneficial for town - because of that I can't just write your behavior off as scummy- but I wouldn't be sad to see you night killed. I feel horrible saying that, just so you know.
I'm suspicious - in every sense of the word.
Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #328 (ISO) » Thu May 31, 2007 2:24 am

Post by Lowell »

Yama, I was voting Dean before it was cool.

There's room on the bandwagon for all.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #329 (ISO) » Thu May 31, 2007 3:38 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

I support one of three lynches. Ecto, obviously, though I like his latest posts a lot, cephrir, because I don't like how he's hanging back this game, and I don't like how he piled on the vote on ecto. It seemed opportunistic to me, and lowell, who has not said anything worthwhile since replacing into a deadlined game. In addition, I was fairly suspicious of BHNY as well.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #330 (ISO) » Thu May 31, 2007 7:42 am

Post by Cephrir »

Ecto wrote:Concerning the "me too", you didn't even address the reply at all. Just a "Im thinking Yama or Ecto"?

Yep.
Are you not even going to attempt to address the holes in TSQ's "case" that I pointed out?
I saw your answers. I didn't find them sufficient.
Do you have actual logical reasons for your votes or will we just need to accept your "gut feelings" on things this game?
I do have logical reasons, yes. I just choose not to post my entire thought process in the thread. If I don't give an opinion, it's probably because I flat-out agree with already-stated opinions. And by the way, I'm pretty sure there are a few people playing even less than I am. I don't see any compelling reason to move my vote right now.
"I would prefer not to." --Herman Melville,
Bartleby the Scrivener
Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #331 (ISO) » Thu May 31, 2007 9:10 am

Post by Lowell »

Just not buying the Cephir (or me) case, TSQ.
Cavane
Cavane
Goon
Cavane
Goon
Goon

Post Post #332 (ISO) » Thu May 31, 2007 9:18 am

Post by Cavane »

TSQ wrote:lowell, who has not said anything worthwhile...
Why are you attacking Lowell for being unhelpful (which I don't deny) after condeming Quag for doing the same to AniX?
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #333 (ISO) » Thu May 31, 2007 1:25 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

I'm not attacking him for being unhelpful. I am attacking him for lurking in plain sight.
creampuffeater
creampuffeater
Virgin
creampuffeater
Virgin
Virgin

Post Post #334 (ISO) » Thu May 31, 2007 3:15 pm

Post by creampuffeater »

Yama, I diddnt say I wouldnt help the town, I just said we have time before the deadline. Personally, I thought BHNY was a idiot, but not scummy.. and lowell is just meh. I agree with shea on Ceph though.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #335 (ISO) » Thu May 31, 2007 3:32 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

We have 4 days...
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #336 (ISO) » Thu May 31, 2007 3:54 pm

Post by Ectomancer »

Cephrir wrote:
Ecto wrote:Concerning the "me too", you didn't even address the reply at all. Just a "Im thinking Yama or Ecto"?

Yep.
Are you not even going to attempt to address the holes in TSQ's "case" that I pointed out?
I saw your answers. I didn't find them sufficient.
Do you have actual logical reasons for your votes or will we just need to accept your "gut feelings" on things this game?
I do have logical reasons, yes. I just choose not to post my entire thought process in the thread. If I don't give an opinion, it's probably because I flat-out agree with already-stated opinions. And by the way, I'm pretty sure there are a few people playing even less than I am. I don't see any compelling reason to move my vote right now.

Weak.

mod: Can we get a prod on Aelyn and BHNY?
Aelyn has been gone for 2 weeks, BHNY for 6 weeks...
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #337 (ISO) » Thu May 31, 2007 3:55 pm

Post by Ectomancer »

EBWOP: Is it also possible to extend the deadline to give either the MIA players or their replacements a chance to catch up with the game?

Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #338 (ISO) » Thu May 31, 2007 4:04 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

BHNY has already been replaced by lowell.
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #339 (ISO) » Thu May 31, 2007 4:38 pm

Post by Ectomancer »

Thestatusquo wrote:BHNY has already been replaced by lowell.
My bad, I checked the status page and it didn't have the replacements listed. I used the active list and the filter to check everyone's posting habits. That would explain BHNY's 6 week absence....
Yamahako
Yamahako
Mafia Scum
Yamahako
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #340 (ISO) » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:55 pm

Post by Yamahako »

We really need some more activity this weekend :-/

I think Mafia may be trying to ride a deadline vote to avoid putting their two cents in.
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #341 (ISO) » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:26 pm

Post by Ectomancer »

Yamahako wrote:We really need some more activity this weekend :-/

I think Mafia may be trying to ride a deadline vote to avoid putting their two cents in.
I tend to agree. I'm still looking for a prod/replacement on Aelyn and whether we can get an extension on the deadline to either get Aelyn to chime in or give the replacement time to catch up. In the meantime I'd like to hear more from those have posted but didn't say anything :roll:
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #342 (ISO) » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:29 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

My thoughts are pretty clear. I will support a lynch of either of my three at dl.
Yamahako
Yamahako
Mafia Scum
Yamahako
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #343 (ISO) » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:47 pm

Post by Yamahako »

Thestatusquo wrote:My thoughts are pretty clear. I will support a lynch of either of my three at dl.
What's wrong with a Dean lynch, if I may ask? Do I need to write up a case, I thought his scumitude was rather obvious...

BHNY has just been replaced, so I don't really see the need for a lynch now (though I'd like to hear some from the replacement). I've explained why I think an Ecto lynch isn't our best option, but I could get behind a Cephir lynch.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #344 (ISO) » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:13 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

I said lowell, not BHNY. I said I found BHNY scummy too, which helped me in wanting to lynch lowell.

I am not seeing dean. If you want to hilight some things about him to look at, I would be more than willing to. Right now, it seems like most of our concensus is on ceph. So with deadline in 2 days,

vote: ceph
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #345 (ISO) » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:24 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

ARE YOU KIDDING ME PEOPLE! WE ARE ONE DAY FROM DEADLINE.
Cavane
Cavane
Goon
Cavane
Goon
Goon

Post Post #346 (ISO) » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:41 am

Post by Cavane »

I'm happier with a Dean lynch than a Ceph lynch. As far as I know, the Ceph case is based on him being unhelpful. I almost never buy cases like that unless there's a fair amount of scumminess to go with it. Dean's been pretty convienantly wishy washy with his voting, and hasn't bothered to explain himself. So I'm happy with my vote. We don't need to hit half majority, so unless a bunch of people switch to no-lynch in the next few hours, someone WILL be lynched.
creampuffeater
creampuffeater
Virgin
creampuffeater
Virgin
Virgin

Post Post #347 (ISO) » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:05 am

Post by creampuffeater »

Vote Ceph
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #348 (ISO) » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:10 am

Post by Cephrir »

Unvote, Vote CPE
. Way to hop on at the last second.
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #349 (ISO) » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:29 am

Post by Ectomancer »

Cavane wrote:I'm happier with a Dean lynch than a Ceph lynch. As far as I know, the Ceph case is based on him being unhelpful. I almost never buy cases like that unless there's a fair amount of scumminess to go with it. Dean's been pretty convienantly wishy washy with his voting, and hasn't bothered to explain himself. So I'm happy with my vote. We don't need to hit half majority, so unless a bunch of people switch to no-lynch in the next few hours, someone WILL be lynched.
To some degree, I agree, except for the opportunistic popular bandwagon hopping. That doesnt fall under "being unhelpful". However, in that case, cpe just made himself a good vote on that count.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”