Open 576: The Enemy of my Enemy is my...Enemy? (Day 2)

Voidedmafia
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:38 am

Post by Voidedmafia »

Votecount 1.04:

Mastin2 - NJAC, Oilura
Astinus - Astinus, Riabi, Nova, Clusk92
Clusk92 - dragonspawn
Oilura - Mastin2, Mathdino, 2birds, guille2015

Not Voting - Teen Girl, Fink

With 13 alive it takes 7 to lynch and 6 to no-lynch.

Deadline is in (expired on 2014-11-05 02:12:28) or by 1:00 AM on November 5th, 2014.
2011 scummies winner (BTS help) and participant;

coming back to Mafia...slowly. Keep an eye for me as a mod.
Also keep an eye for setup review requests.
dragonspawn
dragonspawn
Mafia Scum
dragonspawn
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:50 am

Post by dragonspawn »

Because I'm not inclined to rush a lynch so soon. I like to get as much info as I can before the day is up
Astinus
Astinus
Goon
Astinus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:24 am

Post by Astinus »

It should be obvious that I'm either town or scum (duh). But I'd rather not reveal which one right now. I'm just trying o play my best right now. That's all I have to say.
dragonspawn
dragonspawn
Mafia Scum
dragonspawn
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:07 pm

Post by dragonspawn »

This is playing your best?
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:26 pm

Post by Mathdino »

In post 78, Teen Girl Squad wrote:This looks like a "too scummy to actually be scum" argument. Which I mean, I get, I don't think scum would be so obvious most of the time, but it's still a fallacy. If it looks like a duck and it quacks like a duck it's probably scum and you should lynch that duck, or however that phrase goes.

I'm kind of confused about how you actually feel about Astinus? You said you doubted she was scum at first, and that you think she's misguided town, but you're also saying that she needed more pressure? When she was at L-1...?

What about some of the other unvotes that happened, mine and Fink's, do you find those suspicious, too?

I think I should note here that basically everyone except Astinus's partner are probably going to want to lynch her, and this this definitely the stage where bussing her is the optimal move for said partner; she's pretty much doomed at this point. 2birds1stone's analysis is very much not indicative of alignment, IMO.

@2birds1stone/whoever-else-accused-me-of-fishy-unvoting: It's called not wanting to shut down vital D1 discussion. Lynching Astinus right now, even if she's confirmed scum, helps no one but the other scumteam.

@Astinus: I actually lol'd at your last post.

Last thoughts: Fink seems town. TGS seems town. guille seems town (by his 2nd post, still no idea where mastin got the read from, haha).
Teen Girl Squad
Teen Girl Squad
Goon
Teen Girl Squad
Goon
Goon

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:36 pm

Post by Teen Girl Squad »

Yeah I see no reason to lynch anybody but Astinus this day phase. But I think we should give it another real-life day or two to hear from everyone. I'm most interested in hearing more from Mastin and why she's townreading Astinus. NJAC seems like a good pick for potential partner at this point, but ehhh I don't want to rush into associative reads.
Listen up, you undapants.

Show me something you drew!
2birds1stone
2birds1stone
Mafia Scum
2birds1stone
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:22 pm

Post by 2birds1stone »

In post 78, Teen Girl Squad wrote:I'm kind of confused about how you actually feel about Astinus? You said you doubted she was scum at first, and that you think she's misguided town, but you're also saying that she needed more pressure? When she was at L-1...?
Pressure isn't just for scum; keeping players under pressure helps solidify reads. I would have liked to see her under prolonged L-1 from a committed wagon.

Anyway, I hadn't fully realised the implications of post 31, which contains an outright "not vanilla" claim (posted for reference)
In post 31, Astinus wrote:I'm not saying that self-voting is helpful for vanilla townies, because I don't think it is. But I'm also not saying that I'm a vanilla townie.

In post 104, Mathdino wrote:Lynching Astinus right now, even if she's confirmed scum, helps no one but the other scumteam.
I'm not sure I like your certainty in the face of this level of craziness. Any claim that amounts to "I'm not town" obviously needs to be lynched, but I have no idea how anyone can be as confident as you are.

In post 78, Teen Girl Squad wrote:What about some of the other unvotes that happened, mine and Fink's, do you find those suspicious, too?
No.

UNVOTE:
VOTE: Astinus
W/L/D = 10/10/3

I drew my avatar myself!
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:27 pm

Post by Mathdino »

In post 106, 2birds1stone wrote:I'm not sure I like your certainty in the face of this level of craziness. Any claim that amounts to "I'm not town" obviously needs to be lynched, but I have no idea how anyone can be as confident as you are.

And I'm not sure I like how quickly you're trying to lynch her. There are 3 more scum, and either 1 or 2 perspectives that are going to die tonight. Just because we're going to lynch Astinus doesn't mean we have to do it
right now
. All it does is help the other scumteam get a free pass today for not contributing.
Also, Astinus has a partner assuming she's scum. Keeping the day going gives us more to analyse come D2.

D1 quicklynch has never benefited any town.
Riabi
Riabi
Goon
Riabi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:07 am

Post by Riabi »

In post 106, 2birds1stone wrote:
Anyway, I hadn't fully realised the implications of post 31, which contains an outright "not vanilla" claim (posted for reference)
In post 31, Astinus wrote:I'm not saying that self-voting is helpful for vanilla townies, because I don't think it is. But I'm also not saying that I'm a vanilla townie.

I think this pretty well sums up my feelings on Astinus. In this game, if she's not VT, she's scum. I'm not sure how self voting and drawing this much to yourself helps any side, and she's done ZERO to explain her reasoning.

In post 106, 2birds1stone wrote:
In post 104, Mathdino wrote:Lynching Astinus right now, even if she's confirmed scum, helps no one but the other scumteam.
I'm not sure I like your certainty in the face of this level of craziness. Any claim that amounts to "I'm not town" obviously needs to be lynched, but I have no idea how anyone can be as confident as you are.

Though I agree that Astinus should be the D1 lynch, I also agree that there is value in waiting a bit. We're not up against a deadline, and discussion breeds information that might be useful later in the quest for searching out scum.
dragonspawn
dragonspawn
Mafia Scum
dragonspawn
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:10 am

Post by dragonspawn »

I am inclined to agree that we don't benefit from a quick lynch. Let's keep the discussion going and get catch some scum for a good lynch day two. Especially if astinus somehow turns out to be town. The more discussion we keep going the more likely we will be to find the scum.
Riabi
Riabi
Goon
Riabi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:14 am

Post by Riabi »

Oh, also, to the question about prior experience (sorry I forgot to post that).

I have 3 finished games on this site, two in the newbie queue, and one other game. I have no IRL experience with this game.
dragonspawn
dragonspawn
Mafia Scum
dragonspawn
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:15 am

Post by dragonspawn »

unvote

VOTE: mastin

id like to hear more from mastin. Why are you so sure astinus is town? What was it you saw about oilura that you found suspicious?
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:50 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 74, 2birds1stone wrote:I just finished a game where everyone I wagoned was bad as opposed to scum, and I'm a little worried because I'm getting those vibes again.
Believe it or not, I got those exact same vibes, and am attempting to work through them. This is one of the reasons there's as much doubt in my scumreads as there is, and why my reads are not as locked down as they should be.

I mean, I'm reasonably certain about a fair deal of my townreads: Astinus, Mathdino now, and now you are all fairly strong townreads. Fink's decently strong as well, but not quite as much. Yet all of my other reads aren't nearly as solidified--my guille townread is basically just gut off of where he (didn't) place(d) his vote, dragonspawn I massively waver on, Teen Girl I am not sure about, Riabi I simply can't tell thanks to STRONG ambivalence, Nova I flat-out said already that I go back and forth on (even if leaning town), and even Oilura I'm not sure on. And I can tell you, it's for exactly that reason, combined with a side of multiball; it's difficult to tell "stupidity" from stupidity, and scumhunting from half-scumhunting.

In post 61, 2birds1stone wrote:In my experience, the most anti-town play comes from town; scum are just too cautious to do certain things. Scum do not want to come into the game with a self-vote and keep that self-vote on even at L-1, and scum do not really want the attention of holding a self-vote. If I had to guess, I'd say this is some extremely misguided attempt at sparking discussion (and sure, it worked, but it's fucking WIFOM and liable to turn into a theory discussion).

The unvote struck me as a way of looking town without actually contributing to town. Outside of newbie games, it seems safe to say that nobody's going to derphammer a declared L-1; on top of that, the unvote only served to remove pressure from a player who really needed more of it.
So up to this point, this is almost what makes me pretty dang sure that Astinus is town. I've had over 150 games on-site (so many that I've entirely lost count of the number), not to mention, numerous ones off-site. (That's excluding EpicMafia in which the number would jump to thousands upon thousands.) In all of my games, across all sites, without the setup dictating it as a valid play...I've seen maybe one or two scum try this? Somewhere in that small range. In all of my games, across all sites, without the setup dictating it as valid play...I've seen, oh, probably a dozen or so town try it. (Myself included. Admittedly, mostly in my arrogant ignorant youth as a player, butstill, I did it as town plenty.) So it's not like scum never try it. It's that the sheer audacity to the point of stupidity means that only the stupidest or most insane of all scum will attempt it. It could come from scum, sure. It's 95% likely to come from town. Thus, why I'm pretty sure of Astinus being town.

I also agree with the point about blind unvotes being a way of looking town without actually being town. However, it is not Mathdino nor is it Fink that I'd apply that to; it's Teen Girl. Fink had good, solid posting indicating a town mindset. Mathdino clearly wanted to accomplish something. When I read Teen Girl's unvote, though, what I saw was someone that looked to be going through the motions: doing it because they thought they should do it as town, not because they actually wanted to do anything with it.

These are part, but not the entirety, of the way I got my reads. Every read has an explanation from basically each post they made, and I can clarify the bad I see and the good I see, and why I reached the conclusions I did. I'll be revealing them all eventually, probably gradually as I progress through the thread.
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:05 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 78, Teen Girl Squad wrote: I'm a little bit suspicious of mastin myself, if for no other reason than I distrust that she seems to be positioning herself as sort of an authority figure so early on and I don't know her so I can't really confirm if it's warranted.
I literally did exactly the opposite of this. As in, I explicitly said, "Don't put me on a pedestal. I'm only mediocre." (Almost my exact words.) I'm
well-known
; some people love me and some people hate me with a near-exact split in them. I play a lot, so I really get around. But I explicitly said that
doesn't
mean I'm skilled. :neutral:

Also got to agree that I don't understand mastin's townread on guile. What's up with that, mastin? PoE, or what?
Like I said, it was a
guess
. I happened to think guille's RVS post was decent, even vaguely not-scum-looking. Now, I happen to really, really like his post 76, so he's becoming a townread for me off of more than just the educated guess, but that's what the read was at the time. (For the record, what I did was fairly light compared to the types of guesses I make in other games. In this game, it was an educated guess; in a lot of my other games, it's a pure, sheer, blind one. :P)

Also, to give a little bit more on the Fink (and Mathdino) versus Teen Girl thoughts (I'll go over the early posting before this became the case, and why I liked Fink's and Mathdino's but not Teen Girl's; this is just the general version) is that when Teen Girl posts things, they feel as if they are being said. When Fink posts things, they feel as if they are being thought, elaborated upon, explained, and then given. In short, it feels as if Teen Girl is again saying things and going through the motions, whereas Fink genuinely has put time and effort into giving a considerate thought to it. This is what differentiates their content to me. Fink can post the same conclusion as Teen Girl, and vice-versa. But when Fink does it, he is being reasonable and natural in doing so, yet Teen Girl feels like an artificial superficial version, if that explanation makes sense.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:18 am

Post by mastin2 »

Oh. General note, if you see me skipping a post, let me know that you want me to talk about that post specifically. For instance, I skipped a fair amount of Fink's posts which contain theory I happen to think is wrong, but the explanations for why are a bit of a side-track to the game and partially redundant given that his posts mainly explain why Astinus would be scum and I gave some (I can make it longer if needed) reasons I think otherwise.
In post 89, dragonspawn wrote:why are you suspicious of oilura. She hasn't really struck me either way yet
A fair enough request. Admittedly, my suspicion on Oilura was (and still is) not that strong, but at the time, it was stronger than my suspicion on Teen Girl Squad and yourself, so I decided to place my vote there. (I'm currently considering moving to Teen Girl Squad, though.)

It starts with post 22, in which he drops a random vote that ignores the beginnings of the serious discussions. This isn't necessarily meaningful; some players do that, some players are just slow to the uptake, and so on. But then, in post 23, he continues the serious posting, while keeping his random vote. This is something quite a bit less common from town, albeit still not unheard of. The 'scumhunting' done there feels forced as well, as if he's trying too hard to look town. And when he does switch, he switches to the easiest target: Astinus, who already had considerable amount of pressure on them.

As far as cases go, that's about as weak as they come. But it was the best I had available at the time.

VOTE: Teen Girl Squad.
Feel more comfortable with this, though.
My academy.
Agnigi
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:27 am

Post by Mathdino »

Mastin, what are your thoughts on Oilura's posts on page 1?
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:33 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 109, dragonspawn wrote:I am inclined to agree that we don't benefit from a quick lynch. Let's keep the discussion going and get catch some scum for a good lynch day two. Especially if astinus somehow turns out to be town. The more discussion we keep going the more likely we will be to find the scum.
Oh, and by the way, it's posts like this from dragonspawn which give me the same feeling about him as I get from Teen Girl Squad.

I realize I forgot to mention Clusk in my reads. Right now, if I were to guess at scumteams and assumed all of Oilura/dragonspawn/TGS were scum, he'd be my best guess for fourth, but note the wording: best
guess
; it's barely even an educated one. I realize he's posted a fair bit, but I'm
really
having a hard time locking him down. And I continue to waver on Riabi and Nova, even though I'm thinking both of them may be town. So, POE is basically that one.

In brief summary,
{Astinus, 2birds, Fink, Mathdino, guille} are townreads;
{Riabi, Nova} I waver on but lean town;
Clusk, I can't tell but POE places him as scum;
And {dragonspawn, Oilura, Teen Girl Squad} are scumreads. Who am I forgetting?

Ah. NJAC. Place NJAC in the Clusk category; one of them would probably be scum. Not sure about team composition, though. If I were to venture a guess, dragonspawn and TGS would not be on the same team, though.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:37 am

Post by mastin2 »

Mathdino, basically gave them already. They look vaguely scum, but not very strongly so.

Also,
Mod: do the scum have daytalk?

I didn't seem to catch that detail, but it can make a difference in reads depending on whether they do or not. (Scumteams talking with daychat tend to have a less-easily-spotted voting pattern because they have a buddy to warn them and bounce ideas off of, and also can change what said scum post in-thread.)
My academy.
Agnigi
Voidedmafia
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:09 am

Post by Voidedmafia »

In post 117, mastin2 wrote:Also,Mod: do the scum have daytalk?

Wiki page says...No.

Even if it was outdated, no they don't.
2011 scummies winner (BTS help) and participant;

coming back to Mafia...slowly. Keep an eye for me as a mod.
Also keep an eye for setup review requests.
Teen Girl Squad
Teen Girl Squad
Goon
Teen Girl Squad
Goon
Goon

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:03 pm

Post by Teen Girl Squad »

In post 113, mastin2 wrote:
In post 78, Teen Girl Squad wrote: I'm a little bit suspicious of mastin myself, if for no other reason than I distrust that she seems to be positioning herself as sort of an authority figure so early on and I don't know her so I can't really confirm if it's warranted.
I literally did exactly the opposite of this. As in, I explicitly said, "Don't put me on a pedestal. I'm only mediocre." (Almost my exact words.) I'm
well-known
; some people love me and some people hate me with a near-exact split in them. I play a lot, so I really get around. But I explicitly said that
doesn't
mean I'm skilled. :neutral:

Fair enough. The phrase "rock star" and the amount of writing you spent introducing yourself and your reputation gave me a bit of a knee-jerk reaction, but I can see by the qualifiers that authority wasn't your intention.

It looks like your vote on me (and my suspicion of you) mostly comes down to a playstyle difference? I try to be as transparent as possible, and to do that I also try to be concise with my posts, and not to overthink them. For me, that's good town play, short posts being easier to read and all. You seem to make much longer posts, trying to show as much of your thought process as possible, which, for me, seems scummy at first glance. It's something I would probably do a lot as scum because I'd be nervous and desperate to prove my towniness. But it seems like we just have very different styles of posting, so, you're null to me for the time being.

---

@dragonspawn, how do you feel about NJAC's posts?

---

For the record, the thing that really convinces me that Astinus is scum is this post:

In post 26, Astinus wrote:I've read on the MafiaScum wiki that self-voting can help your game in certain circumstances, depending on your role. I feel that it would be beneficial to my game, so that is why I'm self-voting.

I cannot imagine there is a single place in the wiki that advises players to self-vote as Vanilla Town. And like everyone's said, in this setup, if you're not Vanilla Town, you're scum.
Listen up, you undapants.

Show me something you drew!
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:44 pm

Post by Mathdino »

I went through the wiki and I can't find what Astinus is talking about, but I do recall this lovely thread about self-voting and when it can be helpful.

tl;dr It says it's never helpful as town and only helpful as scum.
I welcome Astinus to show us her findings, but at the moment it looks like she's referencing something that she thought told her to self-vote as scum.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:47 pm

Post by Mathdino »

I forgot to mention this, but I believe Astinus is trying to avoid claiming town because she's afraid the other scumteam will NK her and has a huge misconception of how multiball works.

Astinus is pretty much confirmed scum, mastin. Not because of self-voting but because there's no reason for town to act that way. Think.
dragonspawn
dragonspawn
Mafia Scum
dragonspawn
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:03 pm

Post by dragonspawn »

Teen girl,

to answer your question, I didn't really have a read on njac when you asked. I went back and read his extensive postings.

one being his random vote for mastin.

two being him questioning astinus on his self vote

third urging us not to rush lynch astinus.

thinking about his lack of participation and his few comments, I think he could be scum.

I was voting for mastin in hopes that my questions would be answered. Mastin answered. I'm still processing the answers but I think njac could use little pressure.

unvote

VOTE: njac

why don't you tell us what you think of astinus's answers njac? Or how about some reads and a serious vote?
guille2015
guille2015
Mafia Scum
guille2015
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:18 pm

Post by guille2015 »

Astinus:
So, who do you think is scum by this point?

Dragonspawn:
Why do you consider those four things as scummy?
dragonspawn
dragonspawn
Mafia Scum
dragonspawn
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:21 pm

Post by dragonspawn »

Mostly a gut reaction. Hence the pressure vote

Return to “Completed Open Games”