somestrangeflea
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #450 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:20 am

Post by somestrangeflea »

Sarcastro wrote:Also, Fleaboy, I said "at least", and 40% is pretty damn good day one.
No it's not. With posts like
Guardian, Nabakov, Adel, Pickem? No way it's that easy. But which one of them could possibly not be scum?
and
Sarcastro wrote: I'm sad that you're scum, Nabakov. You're one of my favourite newbies.
...which are all completely certain of who is scum, any success rate of <100% is bad for you.
Sarcastro wrote:By the way, do you think that, for example, saying that only "at least" two of five people are scum when I've been acting so sure is a scumtell?
No, I think it's an inconsistency, and that
is
a scumtell.
Sarcastro wrote:I really hope that Zindy isn't scum. If he is, he's going to absolutely crush you guys.
Yeah, because it's
our
fault if you screw up...

Mod edit
Votecount:
Adel (1): ryan
pickemgenius (1): Erg0
Darko (2): YoghurtBandit, FeRnAnDo
Guardian (3): Numenorean7, Sarcastro, Sacred
somestrangeflea (1): pickemgenius
Numenorean7 (1): Adel
Sarcastro (1): JordanA24
JordanA24 (1): Guardian

Not voting (8 ): Xdaamno, xyzzy, Honary Hitchhiker, darko, Sir Tornado, NabakovNabakov, somestrangeflea , Zindaras

With 19 alive, it's 10 to lynch.
ryan
ryan
Mafia Scum
ryan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #451 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:24 am

Post by ryan »

somestrangeflea: You and Sarcastro seem to be going at eachother alot yet neither have a vote on one another nor a FoS (or did I miss that?) Do you feel he is the best lynch today?
[i]Please remove your head from your ass before you vote.[/i]
somestrangeflea
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #452 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:27 am

I put an FoS on a couple of posts ago...

As far as the best lynch today goes, at the moment, I don't feel if anyone is actually deserving of one yet. However, if I
had
to choose, yes, Sarcastro would be my choice, simply because, even if he isn't scum, he's not being particularly useful, IMHO.
ryan
ryan
Mafia Scum
ryan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #453 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:28 am

Post by ryan »

Sorry, I went back a few pages and must have missed the one right in front of my face. Do you believe in lynching players or lynching roles?
somestrangeflea
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #454 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:34 am

ryan wrote:Sorry, I went back a few pages and must have missed the one right in front of my face. Do you believe in lynching players or lynching roles?
As in, do I believe in lynching bad players regardless of their role?
ryan
ryan
Mafia Scum
ryan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #455 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:38 am

Post by ryan »

You seem to be "not pleased" with Sarcastro's play and almost like you'd rather see him gone regardless of his role.
somestrangeflea
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #456 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:41 am

ryan wrote:You seem to be "not pleased" with Sarcastro's play and almost like you'd rather see him gone regardless of his role.
I see. Well, the aim of the game is to lynch roles, not players. Lynching roles is my top priority, but if I can't get a handle on who is what role, lynching players is my backup plan...
ryan
ryan
Mafia Scum
ryan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #457 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:45 am

Post by ryan »

Interesting concept. As I said you seemed to be pretty pissed at Sarcastro and I was hoping that wasn't clouding your judgment. I've also been in games where a certain player plays like an ass and it seems easy to lynch them BUT if they have a possible power role than it's a mistake.
Sarcastro
Sarcastro
Sarcastric
Sarcastro
Sarcastric
Sarcastric

Post Post #458 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:09 am

Post by Sarcastro »

somestrangeflea wrote:
Sarcastro wrote:Also, Fleaboy, I said "at least", and 40% is pretty damn good day one.
Guardian, Nabakov, Adel, Pickem? No way it's that easy. But which one of them could possibly not be scum?
and
Sarcastro wrote: I'm sad that you're scum, Nabakov. You're one of my favourite newbies.
...which are all completely certain of who is scum, any success rate of <100% is bad for you.
Sarcastro wrote:By the way, do you think that, for example, saying that only "at least" two of five people are scum when I've been acting so sure is a scumtell?
is
a scumtell.
No, Fleaboy, it's not. At least, not to any person with even a bit of common sense. Do you seriously think that I'm absolutely 100% sure that those players are scum? That'd be pretty hard, since I've picked five players and only four can be scum. If you haven't figured it out yet, no, I'm not completely sure that any of them are scum. I like that you actually quote a post in which I imply that I'm not completely sure to prove that I am, though.

Please stop being ridiculous. I'm tempted to add you to my list, but it's quite frankly getting ridiculously long, as it's getting impossible to tell the difference between insane town play and unsubtle scum play.
somestrangeflea wrote:
Sarcastro wrote:I really hope that Zindy isn't scum. If he is, he's going to absolutely crush you guys.
Yeah, because it's
our
fault if you screw up...
When did I ever say anything about screwing up? I was just commenting on the fact that an experienced player like Zindaras would have no problem deceiving a town this dim-witted and misguided.
[color=darkblue]If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.[/color]
NabakovNabakov
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
LalitaLalita

Post Post #459 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:32 am

Post by NabakovNabakov »

@Sarcastro: If you don't care, then why are you posting? I can see you're obviously waiting until there are definite points of refrence (roles revealed upon death) in the game before you begin analyzing behavior and such. That's not a philosophy I agree with in any way, but you are entitled to it.

However, if you are planning on making cases which revolve solely around definite information at a later date, you are seriously harming your credibility by pretending to be so damn certain right now. You've essentially established that everything on D1 is basically speculation, so where do you get the right to accuse players as being defintively scum? If you were to embrace your philosophy fully, it would make sense not to lynch the player who appears scummiest but the player connected to the most other players so there is more information to go on after we learn their alignment (and while Guardian might fit just that bill, at least come clean if that's why you want him lynched).

And while this also seems contrary to your particular playstyle I would urge you to pay more attention to Being Tactful. You might just get lynched if you continue in acting the asshole (especially if the town is a bumbling as you claim).

@Flea: FTR, lynching Sarcastro because he
is
being an asshole would be an incredibly stupid play to make now. I say we ignore him for now and hope he's more helpful once we get to the part of the game he claims to enjoy.
Show
"Shut up!" one woman shouted at another.

"You shut up!" the second woman shouted back.

"I agree with NN"
-Yosarian2
ryan
ryan
Mafia Scum
ryan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #460 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:36 am

Post by ryan »

NabakovNabakov wrote:@Flea: FTR, lynching Sarcastro because he
is
being an asshole would be an incredibly stupid play to make now.
I say we ignore him for now and hope he's more helpful once we get to the part of the game he claims to enjoy
The problem is what if he's scum? Than we ignore a potential scummy player and focus on others who could be town
somestrangeflea
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #461 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:37 am

Sarcastro wrote:
somestrangeflea wrote:
and
is
a scumtell.
No, Fleaboy, it's not. At least, not to any person with even a bit of common sense. Do you seriously think that I'm absolutely 100% sure that those players are scum? That'd be pretty hard, since I've picked five players and only four can be scum.
I know you're
not
100% sure that five people are scum in a four-scum game, but your attitude tries to make out they are.
Sarcastro wrote:If you haven't figured it out yet, no, I'm not completely sure that any of them are scum. I like that you actually quote a post in which I imply that I'm not completely sure to prove that I am, though.
No, I use a post in which you imply you aren't sure as an inconsistency to all your other posts. Why the sudden change in attitude?
Sarcastro wrote:Please stop being ridiculous. I'm tempted to add you to my list, but it's quite frankly getting ridiculously long, as it's getting impossible to tell the difference between insane town play and unsubtle scum play.
See, that's exactly what I meant when I said that you were accusing anyone who challenges you of being scum.
Sarcastro wrote:
somestrangeflea wrote:
Yeah, because it's
our
fault if you screw up...
When did I ever say anything about screwing up? I was just commenting on the fact that an experienced player like Zindaras would have no problem deceiving a town this dim-witted and misguided.
Yeah, because you're doing
much
better than we are... I feel the need to remind you that this is a
team game
, and your constant need to remind us that none of us are a smart as you will only serve to place you in that currently empty pile of carcasses in the corner... Your baseless accusations hold just about as much weight as the scum tells you believe don't exist.
NabNab wrote:FTR, lynching Sarcastro because he is being an asshole would be an incredibly stupid play to make now. I say we ignore him for now and hope he's more helpful once we get to the part of the game he claims to enjoy.
Fine. Sarcastro's off my firing line for day 1, simply because I have a slight amount of faith in him for Day 2. But if he isn't any more helpful then than he is now...
somestrangeflea
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #462 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:37 am

EDWOP: "...for now" rather than "...for day 1".

Because important stuff could still happen...
JordanA24
JordanA24
Mafia Scum
JordanA24
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #463 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:57 am

Post by JordanA24 »

Sarcastro wrote:
JordanA24 wrote:
Sarcastro wrote:When did Darko even say he was joking? If he did, I missed it, because it still doesn't seem like a joke to me. If it is a joke (which makes little sense, as it wasn't funny), how exactly was it obvious?
A joke is still a joke even if it isn't funny. It seemed to be a joke to me because calling for a lynch for no reason barring Xyzzy's name seems like a joke statement to me.
One of us has clearly misunderstood what Darko said. It seemed rather clear to me that he was suggesting that we vote out Xyzzy because he was the only one who had yet to confirm, whereas you think that he was just making a joke about Xyzzy's name. I'm not sure if Darko ever said for sure, but he never bothered to correct my assumption, so I'm pretty sure I interpreted it correctly.
I don't see him correcting me either, it seems obvious it's a joke, why would you lynch someone based simply on their name? It would be completely ridiculous. If you think he wasn't joking, then you're not very good at recognising jokes.
Sarcastro wrote:
JordanA24 wrote:
Sarcastro wrote:Please don't call my posting bad. It's not. It's perfectly fine. If you don't like the fact that I'm generally lazy and unhelpful day one in these sorts of large games, that's just too bad for you. I can you give you a long explanation if you'd like, but suffice it to say that I'd be happy to lynch any of the four people I mentioned before, as well as, now, you.
Lazy people really frustrate me as they look incredibly scummy, while serving very little purpose. But you also miss my point, the fact you join the BIGGEST bandwagon while giving no evidence for it, promising reasoning later. When? When he's been lynched? And the last bit of that quote looks like a huge OMGUS to me, just because someone votes you, it doesn't automatically mean they're scum you know.
No, they don't necessarily look incredibly scummy. Do you even understand the concept? You say that you're not just looking for strange play, but the things that you seem to think are scumtells are not.

No, it's not OMGUS. Please try to understand the terms you're using. Something is only OMGUS if someone gives no reason and simply votes someone else for voting them. First of all, I'm not even voting for you. I just called you one of the scummiest five people in the game. And I have a perfectly good reason for finding you scummy.
Lazy people DO look scummy, at least in my eyes, as they aren't contributing, it just looks like they're sitting back letting the town lynch eachother. I do understand what the term scumtells mean, I've been here long enough, and I've been in enough games and read enough previous games to recognise scumtells as well.

OMGUSing doesn't have to be restricted to voting, it can be used for when people find eachother scummy. A lot of what you've done all game is:

Other player: You look scummy.
You: No I don't, you do, you're definate scum, God you suck at this game.

That's pretty much all you've done so far. That looks like OMGUSing to me. Both in game terms and literally as well.
Sarcastro wrote:
JordanA24 wrote:
Sarcastro wrote:The unfortunate thing about playing with so many newbies, especially when so many of them simply aren't very good, is that too many people are going to say stupid, opportunistic things that look so scummy. Going after me for my posts is extraordinarily opportunistic, because my posts aren't actually all that scummy if you bother to
think
about them. Things like "over-confidence" seem like great reasons to lynch people until you actually stop and realise that
they're not goddamn scumtells
, especially on someone like me. I always act confident, I'm frequently lazy early in games this large, and I'm not especially concerned with making cases.
Oh, so you call me poor at Mafia simply because I voted for you. What an OMGUS (literally). How is my play opportunistic when I'M YOUR ONLY VOTER? If I was truly being opportunistic, I'd have gone for Guardian or someone like that.
No, I didn't say you were necessarily poor at Mafia. You could just be scum who didn't bother to think very hard about what he's doing.

Opportunism is not just trying to get whomever you can lynched. You just saw some people express suspicion of me and have apparently decided that that excuses the fact that you don't actually have a case against me.
JordanA24 wrote:
Sarcastro wrote:I'll give you all a hint -
don't just look for strange play
. Think about what mistakes
you
might make as scum and that you've seen others make in the past, not what random things instinctively look bad.
I'm not looking for strange play, I'm looking for scummy play, which is what you are doing a fine job of exhibiting.
You say that, but you obviously have no idea what you're talking about.
Explain why my behaviour is scummy
. Stop simply asserting that it is. That doesn't work, especially when you're the one declaring that laziness is scummy. So far all you've succeeded in doing is calling my behaviour scummy, which it is not. Please learn how to play properly. I take it back - it doesn't matter if you're scum; you're doing a bad job whichever side you're on. Worst of all, you're wasting my time and making me want to participate in this worthless day one even less.

Also, Fleaboy, I said "at least", and 40% is pretty damn good day one. I'm saying that half of the scum in the game are in that group of five. The long explanation is of why I don't like day ones. It wouldn't accomplish anything to give it to you and you probably wouldn't be interested anyway.

Suffice it to say that I don't enjoy day ones, and I feel that we're better off just lynching anyone decently scummy and getting on with the game. Some people may revel in making gigantic posts in which they argue and speculate about totally inane things like who's played with whom before and when the lovers should claim and worthless percentages, but I'm just not interested. I enjoy finding scum and killing them, and there is far too little of that on the first day of a large game like this one.

By the way, do you think that, for example, saying that only "at least" two of five people are scum when I've been acting so sure is a scumtell? If so, this is part of the problem that I'm talking about. These things aren't tells. Ask yourself why scum would be more likely to do them than pro-town players, either consciously or unconsciously.
Well you seem to be contradicting yourself when you say I don't suck at this game. But I'm not going to take the insult personally, you've done that to pretty much everyone who suspects you. And it's again, behaviour I'd expect from scum, lashing out when you feel the net closing in on you.

I have made a case against you, you dismissed it as "hilariously bad", yet you don't seem to be able to talk yourself out of it. Instead, you're just making yourself look scummier with every post you make.

Day One's are not worthless, they're probably the most valuable day of them all. Gets the game started, first impressions, a lot of things happen on Day 1, and at the end of it all, someone,
usually the most contraversial
(remember that bit, it's important), is lynched. You can then go back afterwards and look at player relationships (particularly with the one who was lynched, and also the ones who were killed overnight), and get pretty good conclusions as to who might be scum in subsequent days, especially if the lynched player was scum. Sorry if you "don't have" the patience or motivation to see through Day 1, but you've got to bite the bullet and face it, the rest of us are. Besides, I think you're refusing to participate much because of the point highlighted earlier in the paragragh, the lynched player usually turns out to be the most contraversial, I think you are avoiding Day 1 so you don't turn out to be the player lynched on Day 1, and you have a relatively clean slate for the next Day. After all, you can only look scummy and be contraversial if you've actually participated enough to look scummy/contraversial.

Being more certain than everybody else as to who is scum IS a scumtell since the Mafia are the only ones who know for sure who are the real scum, and it does affect you unconsciously, since you're pretty desperate not to have your scumpartners lynched, you are instead "sure" of who the scum are when infact, you're sure they're not.
Please delete my comment from your sig...such an awful joke- Battle Mage

Politics Mafia currently requires 1 replacement, please PM me if interested.
Sarcastro
Sarcastro
Sarcastric
Sarcastro
Sarcastric
Sarcastric

Post Post #464 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:02 am

Post by Sarcastro »

Ugh, I'm getting sick of making these long, quote-filled posts.

I think I've definitely been a bit too abrasive today. I tend to get this way when people are suspicious of me for what I consider stupid reasons (regardless of my alignment, for the record).

I don't know what "attitude" you're talking about, Fleaboy. Why does it matter how I state my suspicions? Actually, to be fair, I can see how it does, but I don't think it applies in this case. Generally, scum are going to be more concerned with making themselves look very cautious and conservative in voicing their suspicions. I don't really feel the need to play that way (again, regardless of alignment).

For the record, Fleaboy, your evaluation of who I'm calling scum is not correct. I think Adel is scum, even though she stated that she does not think I'm scum. I do not think that Xdaamno is scum, despite the fact that he considers me his #1 suspect.

However, I'll concede that I may have gotten too caught up in what is really only a minor scumtell to the detriment of the rest of my scumhunting.

Nabakov, I don't appreciate your last post. I do not need to be lectured. I know exactly what I am doing, and anyone who has played with me before can attest to the fact that I am a perfectly competent player, at the very least. When did I say that everything on day one is speculation? Please don't put words into my mouth. And don't assume that I like so-called "information lynches", either. The idea that I would lynch a player who I do not find scummy (barring specific situations) is ridiculous. Finally, don't take my dislike of day one to mean that I'm not going to be helpful or productive - advocating for it to end as soon as possible is exactly that, and it's not as if I'm not trying to find scum. I'm just not interested in all the incredibly tedious conversation.

I see that Jordan's written another long post while I've been writing this. I'll get around to responding soon.
[color=darkblue]If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.[/color]
NabakovNabakov
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
LalitaLalita

Post Post #465 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:22 am

Post by NabakovNabakov »

Sarcastro wrote: Nabakov, I don't appreciate your last post.
I do not need to be lectured.
I know exactly what I am doing, and anyone who has played with me before can attest to the fact that I am a perfectly competent player, at the very least. When did I say that everything on day one is speculation? Please don't put words into my mouth. And don't assume that I like so-called "information lynches", either. The idea that I would lynch a player who I do not find scummy (barring specific situations) is ridiculous. Finally, don't take my dislike of day one to mean that I'm not going to be helpful or productive -
advocating for it to end as soon as possible is exactly that,
and it's not as if I'm not trying to find scum.
I'm just not interested in all the incredibly tedious conversation.
Then:

Shut The Fuck Up

Your certainty has been noted. Your defense of your certainty has been noted. Your desire to end the day has been noted. Your dislike of our play has been noted. Your dislike of D1 discussion has been noted. Your superiority has been noted. Your refusal to be reasoned with has been noted. I have no idea why you're still hanging around. Feel free to come back when we get to D2.

Bye
Show

"I agree with NN"
-Yosarian2
Sarcastro
Sarcastro
Sarcastric
Sarcastro
Sarcastric
Sarcastric

Post Post #466 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:10 am

Post by Sarcastro »

You don't have to be a jerk, Nabakov. I just conceded that I've been too abrasive and that I've put too much emphasis on the scuminess of those going after me. It's a bit late to be getting mad at me for my "superiority".

I have just as much a right to speak as you do. Isn't that what you
want
me to do? I also like how you avoided actually responding to any of what I said, preferring to just blow up and swear at me. Yeah, you're obviously so much better than me.

Jordan, I'm going to try to keep my response to you short, because I'm not sure there's much left to say.

First, did you read what I said about Darko's post? I think one of us misunderstood his meaning. I made it clear that I interpreted him as saying "Well, let's just lynch the only person who hasn't confirmed". You, on the other hand, seem to think that he meant "Let's lynch the player with the strangest name" or something to that effect. I don't fault you for the misunderstanding, but I do fault you for refusing to recognise that I
don't
think that Darko made the post based on Xyzzy's name. If I thought that's what he was saying, I would have of course taken it as a joke.

Second, your definition of lazy is inconsistent. I was being lazy before (now it seems like I'm responding to every single post, so I don't think it applies anymore), but I wasn't just "letting the town lynch eachother[sic]", as you seem to think. I was making it pretty clear who I thought we should lynch.

Third, there's a difference between "OMGUS" and "your logic for voting me was scummy". If you don't think I have valid reasons for being suspicious of several of the people voting for me, then fine, think that my suspicious are nothing more than OMGUS. But I assure you that I
do
have perfectly valid reasons.

Fourth, "the net closing in on [me]"? "Scummier with every post
make"? Come on, do I even need to dignify this with a response? You seem to think that your case is a lot stronger than it is. You still haven't made a convincing case that
anything
I've done is actually scummy.

Fifth, I don't need to be lectured. I'm not sure why this is so popular all of a sudden. Do you all think I'm an idiot? Do you think I'm stupid enough to play this game regularly for over a year and still not know what I'm doing? Don't tell me what I'm supposed to think of day ones. I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but your evaluation of what happens on day one isn't very accurate. And you're completely wrong when you say that who gets nightkilled N1 can be used to find scum. Nightkills are almost completely WiFoM, and therefore useless for finding scum. True, you can look at the dead players' relationships, but unless that player is scum (which is impossible in this game, as there is only one scumgroup), it's unlikely that you'll get anything useful. The same applies to lynchees, except that there's an actual possibility that they will be scum.

Sixth, I'm not trying to avoid participating so that I won't be lynched, Jordan. I know that I won't be lynched day one. In fact, that's
why
I feel comfortable behaving the way I do. Most experienced players realise that what I do is not scummy. Honestly, it was a mistake to play the same way in a game with so many newbies. I should have anticipated that so many of you (scum and town) would not have refined your scumdars enough to tell the difference between my play and actually scummy play.

Seventh, that last paragraph of yours is incredibly wrong. Mafia are certain of who is scum and who is town, but unless they're bussing,
all they're going to be doing is saying that they're certain that a townie is scum, which is not a productive thing for scum
. In addition, I think it's been firmly established that my certainty is not literal, but simply an overzealous way of stating my suspicions. Once again, I would like to restate that
scum do not usually like to act certain
, though I will reinforce my playstyle point by admitting that
personally
I usually act just as certain when I'm scum.

Eighth, being scum does in fact affect you unconsciously. I'm glad that you realise that, at least (that's not an insult; far too many newbies seem to think that a scumtell has to be a conscious effort to hurt the town). Unfortunately, the next thing you say is not as correct. Scum (good scum, at least) are not at all desperate to keep their scumpartners alive. Generally you want to keep them alive, yes, but certainly not desperately. Bussing is very popular and all but necessary at some point in most games. If your partner is acting scummy, you'd be well-advised to jump on him immediately, depending, as always, on the situation. Scum should not try to keep their partners alive.

Ninth, even if scum were desperate to keep their partners alive, why would that necessitate acting certain that townies are scum? The same thing would be accomplished by just acting normally.

Jordan, let me just emphasise that while your intentions may be good (emphasis on the "may"), the things you're calling scumtells simply are not that. You're inexperienced, so I don't necessarily blame you for advocating incorrect positions, but you have to believe me when I correct you. Even if I were scum, I would not lie about these things. I'm being completely honest about what's a scumtell, what's not, etc.

Hm. It seems that was longer than I intended. At least I didn't get to "Thirteenthly", though.
Sarcastro
Sarcastro
Sarcastric
Sarcastro
Sarcastric
Sarcastric

Post Post #467 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:12 am

Post by Sarcastro »

Sorry, the stuff after "fourth" got screwed up by my attempt to put an "I" in square brackets to replace Jordan's original "you". Damn my grammatical perfectionism.
Sacred
Sacred
Townie
Sacred
Townie
Townie

Post Post #468 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:44 am

Post by Sacred »

@Guardian:
Concerning the inconsistency in your posts regarding intentions towards darko.
First you say that you like wagons on scummy players, but then you tone it down and say that you only wanted him pressured
As I said, pressure =/= bandwagon
You either claim that you want to pressure him with your vote, in which case you don't allow a quicklynch to happen, you don't allow a bandwagon to form, because pressure is asking for information, which cannot be gained if the player is dead, right?
Or you claim that you just want to bandwagon him because you think he's scummy already, which doesn't leave much room for interpretation and negotiation.

Concerning the "revolutionary" ideas.
Off the top of my head:
- shorter days ftw
- not defending yourself as town
- pushing for quick results
Guardian wrote:I agree -- however, you didn't seem to take my post 316 into account in this analysis -- right?
No, I didn't. That post was made while I was writing the analysis, therefore it didn't show up. The conclusion you quoted is drawn from your activity up until... page 12 if I'm not mistaken.
Guardian wrote:You attacked me earlier in this post for "setting up" Sir Tornado vis a vis darko -- I said that if darko came up scum, Sir T deserved a looking over. You said this was scummy, and that town can defend scum too:
It seems you are doing the same thing you just called me scummy for -- setting up NabNab for lynch if I am lynched and turn up scum (which I won't ftr). Would NabNab not be scummy if I turned up town? How is this statement at yours at all different from the statement of mine you attacked me for -- are you not being hypocritical//scummy here?
The difference is this: the connection you had made between SirT and darko was weak, at best. You "paired" them based on what you perceived to be a defense of darko, when, in fact, it was a slowing down of the bandwagon. We've talked about this at least twice before, and you agreed with me that SirT had, indeed, supplied a valid reason for his so called defense.
Now, the connection I made between you and NabNab is based on the following things: I've considered you both suspicious/scummy, so, to me, it wouldn't be farfetched to think of you two as scum together. Furthermore, the interaction between you, namely NabNab's conflicting position on you looks to me like scum trying to protect scum in a not so obvious way.
In the end, if you turn up scum, the odds of NabNab being scum too are higher than that of being town. I also suggested we take a long, hard look, which isn't quite the same with "setting up the next lynch". Because if there are no other scumtells from NabNab other than his curious behaviour towards you, then we can't really string him up, can we?

I may be subjective in this and you may, indeed, be right to call it an inconsistency on my behalf (although I think I did the right thing). Which is why I'm willing to ask other players to chip in on what they think of your observation.
Guardian wrote:but his suspicions show that he does NOT know the setup of the game (a town tell) and not that he knows the setup of the game (a scum tell)
Errr... I disagree with this. Knowing the setup of the game should also be a prerogative of the townies. Playing oblivious of the bigger picture is kind of bad if you ask me.
Guardian wrote:Post 379 of Sacred's I find suspicious, because of what isn't there. She is addressing NabNab's 375, point by point, and doesn't address this:
Sacred addresses the point right above and below this but not this. Why, Sacred?
Err.... I honestly don't understand why you ask this :-/
Let's go back and look at the exchange between me and NabNab.
I accuse NabNab of stuff in post 326.
He replies in post 333, saying stuff like: "I admit to the sin (in my book) of Undue Confidence." ; "I feel silly too. I admit to the sin (in my book) of Passion." ; "I lapsed, and the best I can do is beg forgiveness."
To which I reply with: "Ok, so you admit that your play was suspicious/curious enough to warrant my previous post. And maybe not just mine. Right?"
So when he comes back with: "Yes, I admit to playing poorly/scummily. To deny it would be stupid, it's right there in the thread."
Of course I wasn't going to reply to it,
again
, since that was actually him confirming my previous statement, which had all started by asking something similar to the quote you say I missed.
So I didn't really miss it, I simply skipped it since it had been already discussed.
Guardian wrote:Also, I find it somewhat interesting that you address this after Sacred missed it.
I trust you've now realized how this is wrong.
I also note the subtle subscription to the "Zindaras/Sacred connection" theory.
Guardian wrote:Sacred: I didn't like her inconsistency, and I think she is a good player, and I am getting bad vibes.
Thank you for the appreciation. However, I hope that I've now addressed the "inconsistency" in a satsifactory manner, especially since I think it's kind of a stretch to say that you're getting bad vibes simply because of an inconsistency which I hadn't even talked about.
NabNab wrote:Right now, I'm just a little bit surprised at how both Zindy and Sacred chose to break down every little detail of the post I made about their connections (which was by Sacred's request).
1. Of course I requested it. You were talking about a connection between me and Zindaras when I could see none.
2. The reason why I broke down your post was because it was so completely wrong. Had it been correct, I wouldn't have had what to comment on it, would I?
Zindaras wrote:Well, I shouldn't say too many good things about her, she has a big enough ego as is. >.>
Pot. Kettle. 'Nuff said :P
Sir Tornado
Sir Tornado
Mafia Scum
Sir Tornado
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #469 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:57 am

Post by Sir Tornado »

ryan wrote:Interesting concept. As I said you seemed to be pretty pissed at Sarcastro and I was hoping that wasn't clouding your judgment. I've also been in games where a certain player plays like an ass and it seems easy to lynch them BUT if they have a possible power role than it's a mistake.
QFT
I'm back!
Sir Tornado
Sir Tornado
Mafia Scum
Sir Tornado
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #470 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:04 am

Post by Sir Tornado »

JordanA24 wrote:Lazy people DO look scummy, at least in my eyes, as they aren't contributing, it just looks like they're sitting back letting the town lynch eachother. I do understand what the term scumtells mean, I've been here long enough, and I've been in enough games and read enough previous games to recognise scumtells as well.
That is not true. I would not equal laziness with scum. People are inheritantly lazy. That does not depend on their roles. A person who is lazy can be lazy as a town as well as a scum. Just because a person is lazy does not mean that he is scum. If the "laziness scumtell" would be true, I would be a scum in every game I play. But that is, of course nonsense. (This is my cue to say that my PBPA and analysis of JordanA24 is not quite complete because I have been a bit lazy today)
I'm back!
NabakovNabakov
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
LalitaLalita

Post Post #471 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:34 pm

Post by NabakovNabakov »

Sacred wrote: pressure =/= bandwagon
I'm not really sure that this is true. I can see two primary purposes of a bandwagon (if you can define it as simply a sequence of players voting for another player). The first is to lynch that player, the second is to pressure. I think the most pertinent question here is: if Pressure =/= Bandwagon, how are you supposed to pressure someone?

I also apologize for being wrong. Bags failed me, but I will endeavor to be right in the future.

@Sir T: Lazy =/= scummy, but in my book, lazy = anti-town. To all lazy townies, get off your ass and help or go home.
Show

"I agree with NN"
-Yosarian2
Sir Tornado
Sir Tornado
Mafia Scum
Sir Tornado
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #472 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:22 pm

Post by Sir Tornado »

NabNab wrote:@Sir T: Lazy =/= scummy, but in my book, lazy = anti-town. To all lazy townies, get off your ass and help or go home.
I don't entirely agree. You can be pro town inspite of being lazy. It is not as black and white as you may perceive... players can have different styles, some of them tending to be a bit lazy, but all of them can be equally effective.

I am, quite a few times too lazy to go back, see every post a person has made and comment on the persons' entire posting history. I consider it too time consuming, and the benefits of doing such a thing are not as much as the time you invest in doing it. So posting stuff like that is not my style. So, I operate mostly on the first impressions I get from the people when I read their posts the first time. It does not make my play anti-town.

Now, if a person is too lazy to come to this site and view the thread at all, then
that
is anti-town, yes.

BTW, I think Sarcastro's "short reply" in post 466 made up for an interesting read.
I'm back!
NabakovNabakov
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
LalitaLalita

Post Post #473 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:36 pm

Post by NabakovNabakov »

I'm not saying lazy townies are the root of all mislynches or anything, but would you rather read an analysis written by someone who did their research got their quotes or somebody who re-read, but is going a lot on vibes and memory. The second analysis is less helpful
and
less convincing (and it'a good thing for townies to be able to write convincing cases). I will accept that folks like Sarc and you are going to be lazy, but it still gives me an ucky feeling.

Because I forgot to adress this in my first post tonight:
@Sarc: You're right, I was rude and that harmed the point I was trying to make. However, I think that if you're really going to stand by what you said, I don't see any reason why you should still be posting today, you don't want to discuss anything, you won't allow yourself to be reasoned with, so what's the point? To address the points I supposedly avoided. I will say that I made the post working from what you had already provided, and I guess I came to a conclusion you didn't agree with (even though it meshes with the posts you had made previously). That being said I still think you
do
need a lecture in not appealing to your experience in every post you make. It doesn't help your logical argument at all and it's a rhetorical turn-off.

Not to sound the hypocrite, but I will be spending the next week and a half lazing about without internet access (the 21st to the 1st to be exact). Just a heads up.
Show

"I agree with NN"
-Yosarian2
Sacred
Sacred
Townie
Sacred
Townie
Townie

Post Post #474 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:25 pm

Post by Sacred »

Hello!

I just want to let you know that I'll be away for the week-end (starting now, returning Sunday evening). Activity in the game should wind down to some extent, as it usually does at this point in the week, but if you feel that I need to be replaced, very well.

However, I'm good to go once I'm back, so it would be great if I could keep my role.

Thank you and have a lovely week-end!

Return to “Completed Large Normal Games”