Game of Thrones

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #3250 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2015 11:29 am

Post by AniX »

In post 3248, quadz08 wrote:https://imgur.com/ZojM9ft

(spoilers for S5E4)

That's pretty unfair, considering how many people he cut through before he was overwhelmed.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Venmar
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3251 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2015 4:39 pm

Post by Venmar »

I thought the fight itself was weak.
"Oh Dany, im gonna to conveniently go for a walk. Oh look! Harpy! I'm going to be a hero! Oh shit, i'm old and there's dozens of them. Oh thanks Grey worm for saving me a lot. Oh shit, now we're both possibly dead. #worthit"
I swear I'm trying my best

--Expect me to be V/LA from 10am-7pm PST every Mon, Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun due to work--
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #3252 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2015 6:44 pm

Post by AniX »

In post 3251, Venmar wrote:I thought the fight itself was weak.
"Oh Dany, im gonna to conveniently go for a walk. Oh look! Harpy! I'm going to be a hero! Oh shit, i'm old and there's dozens of them. Oh thanks Grey worm for saving me a lot. Oh shit, now we're both possibly dead. #worthit"

Aside from the convenient walk, that is the exact opposite vibe I got from it.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #3253 (ISO) » Mon May 04, 2015 7:52 pm

Post by Brandi »

I'm happy that Sansa is finally an interesting character.
Baelish kissing her creeps me the fuck out though
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3254 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2015 1:49 am

Post by quadz08 »

AniX, I agree with you, but the internet seems to think he didn't show up to the fight for some reason, idk. I mostly just thought that image was entertaining

Brandi - pretty sure that's intended!
Note Sansa's "I'll be a married woman by the time you get back" comment - it creeps her out too
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3255 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2015 10:15 am

Post by Rhinox »

Spoiler: 5.04 recap

source
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3256 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2015 11:46 am

Post by quadz08 »

that is pretty great
esuriospiritus
esuriospiritus
they/ask
I Reject Your Corporeality...
esuriospiritus
they/ask
Pronoun: they/ask

Post Post #3257 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2015 12:56 pm

Post by esuriospiritus »

http://imgur.com/a/OcRxY

it's... a parody I guess? IDK, there's a few of these and they're all pretty funny.

Excerpt:

First you get your wings back. Then you learn to fly.

quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3258 (ISO) » Thu May 07, 2015 2:13 am

Post by quadz08 »

"that metaphor could've killed me" lol
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3259 (ISO) » Sun May 10, 2015 10:22 am

Post by DeathNote »

I am just now finally watching GoT and about at the end of the 3rd season. My thoughts after this last episode:

Starks are dead minus the little kids. Don't even care anymore. Seriously... like only house I really cared anything about and they just all died like it was nothing. Kinda don't give a shit about anyone else, even if the people who did the shitty things get screwed in the end.
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
Aeronaut
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3260 (ISO) » Sun May 10, 2015 10:37 am

Post by Aeronaut »

what.
about.
Tyrion?
2023 W/L | 1-0
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3261 (ISO) » Sun May 10, 2015 10:51 am

Post by DeathNote »

What about him? He isn't a house, he is just one man who makes me giggle. I like Daeny too but no one has a respectable house that I want to win.

Basically I am just upset that the good guys lost already. Maybe the bad guys will end up losing too but I could care less now.
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
Aeronaut
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3262 (ISO) » Sun May 10, 2015 11:53 am

Post by Aeronaut »

2023 W/L | 1-0
Aeronaut
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3263 (ISO) » Sun May 10, 2015 3:45 pm

Post by Aeronaut »

Poor old Jorah the Explorer
2023 W/L | 1-0
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3264 (ISO) » Sun May 10, 2015 4:14 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

hooooooooooooly shit
green shirt thursdays
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3265 (ISO) » Sun May 10, 2015 5:25 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

This was an excellent episode. Even without a lot of action, a ton of stuff happened and a lot of plotlines were advanced.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3266 (ISO) » Sun May 10, 2015 5:27 pm

Post by Iecerint »

In post 3265, hasdgfas wrote:This was an excellent episode. Even without a lot of action, a ton of stuff happened and a lot of plotlines were advanced.

I like how 100% of the Next Time were of plot lines we didn't see, but they were all plotlines that I didn't notice being absent.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3267 (ISO) » Sun May 10, 2015 5:29 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

dornish plot real bad
green shirt thursdays
Venmar
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3268 (ISO) » Sun May 10, 2015 5:44 pm

Post by Venmar »

RIP
Barristan
the
Old

--Expect me to be V/LA from 10am-7pm PST every Mon, Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun due to work--
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3269 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2015 5:08 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Things that I immensely liked last night:

• Did you guys forget that Ramsay is actually the worst? Because if you did, you should at least sort of remember that now. That Bolton Family Dinner was just too good... Fat Walda is my fave, and Roose/Ramsay's relationship is such a fucked up dynamic that I'm not sure who is
    actually
    more fucked up between the two of them. All the actors in Winterfell are killing it.
  • When Brienne started talking about the Starks and the North and trying to rally people to her cause, I'll admit, I got a bit teary-eyed. Brienne is, in a weird way, the last true Stark loyalist out there. Everyone else has accepted their fate and moved on, in a way, but Brienne's fierce devotion to Catelyn is causing her to be the new beacon of House Stark. I love it.
  • Stannis has gone from "Ugh, him again" to "FUCK YES LOVE STANNIS". His grammar nazism was a nice little human touch to the character. I love his looks as he watched Jon try to lead the Night's Watch -- he sees great things in him and respects him, and that alone boosts Jon's character.
  • Shireen is adorable and every episode needs more Shireen/Davos scenes. Their dynamic is just the best. Davos is so great with her. IT IS SO ADORABLE.
  • Jon being all Lord Commandery and trying to make a deal w/ Tormund was awesome. I loved seeing him as a real leader, even as he simultaneously loses the respect of his men. I think he has a chance at pulling this off, but nobody is going to be happy about it, and it actually makes the Wall storyline fantastic.
  • VALYRIA! STONE MEN! DROGON! That whole scene was good for the pure awe it inspired.

--

What sucked ass about last night:
  • Let's be real: the conversion of so many beloved characters on Winterfell (Brienne/Pod, Sansa, Theon, Stannis, Shireen, Davos) can really only mean that we're going to see even more good guys get slaughtered. I have my guesses and suspicions, but who knows with this show? Maybe all of them go down.
  • The Winterfell plot is obviously the main place where the show has diverged from the books, and it is all the better for it. But that is really causing the other areas that AREN'T in that plot to show signs of being ill-adapted, or at least behind the times. Winterfell is paying off five seasons by FINALLY converging a bunch of characters in the same place and it feels so rewarding. None of the other plots are even close to that and it's frustrating.
  • The way the attack of the Stone Men was shot was pretty poor, IMO. We were never able to get a clear sense of 'danger' because it was cutting around so much, and it felt sort of silly. There were all of these things around, yet, Tyrion the Imp was able to slowly roll away from them and never be in danger? Even the prolonged black out after Tyrion was dragged under felt cringey.
  • "Where's the boat?" "Oh, uh... we uh... lost it?" "Where the fuck are we? Why is there a beach now?" "Don't worry about it! But it certainly means that this pointless slow down tactic will stop us from actually getting to Meereen until the very end of the season! Thank god for that, you know, because we were actually on the verge of doing something with this god forsaken storyline!"
  • Where the fuck is Varys?
  • This was one of the better paced episodes in a long time -- and it didn't have any Dorne or King's Landing in it. That doesn't really bode well for inevitably having to loop everything back together.
green shirt thursdays
Venmar
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3270 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2015 5:18 am

Post by Venmar »

I'm a bit chapped with how the season is going in contrast to the books, i'm too conscious of it and I end up liking the book version of the events as a result. That being said, I still like the show, but it's becoming alien to me and I think things like converging all the characters to one place (Winterfell) is far from necessary to have a good show or create good storylines. If anything, if the writers are converging all of the characters to one place to advance their plots better, I think that's just lazy writting if anything.

xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3271 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2015 5:22 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

yes, because having plots remain totally separate and never paying off character moments is better writing than doing those things
green shirt thursdays
Venmar
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3272 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2015 5:52 am

Post by Venmar »

Having seperate plots and characters away from each other is the entire setting and idea of Game of Thrones (and in all of the seasons before this one) so I don't know why it is so alien to you all of the sudden?

xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3273 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2015 6:03 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

It's not that it's alien. It's that the point of separating them and mixing pairings is to allow character growth, and never paying off those moments by allowing characters to reunite or interact is pretty shitty. To me, the sloppier writing is setting up all these grand stories and chess pieces to move into place, then having the amount of plotlines get too unwieldy and wind up being forced to never pay off certain moments or just keep characters separate forever.

There's a bigger story being told, here -- one that D&D obviously know about and are building towards. Little character moments are fine, and the first 4 seasons being basically nothing but moving pieces around and setting up later payoffs is fine. But eventually, things need to pay off... and we're heading that way, now. If these moments were never paid off, it'd be bad writing, because that'd just mean there was no plan or rhyme or reason to the characters and instead it's just writing whatever the hell comes to mind with no carefully crafted arc in mind.

I sincerely worry that GRRM won't be able to pay off all the stories that need to be capped in the books. The books have SIGNIFICANTLY more minor/major characters involved and the knowledge that a huge swath of them will wind up being irrelevant or just get killed off and have no further purpose makes spending time reading them a drudge. I like the fact that they've condensed a huge portion of the Essos plot into Jorah. I like the fact that they cut the entire Ironborn storyline, because if the Dorne storyline is any indication, the narrative didn't have room to handle it. The show is streamlining the overall narrative because it's a show and it doesn't have real estate to waste on shit that won't matter, whereas the books
can
. The books can spend hundreds of pages on scenery and table setting and getting to know useless characters, because it can be whatever it wants to be. The show can only be 10 episodes, and as it accelerates towards its finale, it has to start paying off these moments, or viewers won't be satisfied.

I think, in general, most book readers I see are nitpicking and bitching about things in the show that
really
aren't worth it. The show was always going to diverge from the books -- and it is better for it.
green shirt thursdays
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3274 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2015 6:07 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 3270, Venmar wrote:I'm a bit chapped with how the season is going in contrast to the books, i'm too conscious of it and I end up liking the book version of the events as a result. That being said, I still like the show, but it's becoming alien to me and I think things like converging all the characters to one place (Winterfell) is far from necessary to have a good show or create good storylines. If anything, if the writers are converging all of the characters to one place to advance their plots better, I think that's just lazy writting if anything.

The show is not "A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin", the show is "Game of Thrones by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, based off of A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin". At this point, I've accepted that they're different canons and not the same story anymore. It's a bunch of the same characters and same locations, but things are a bit more collapsed and streamlined due to the medium of TV making it work better that way. The Winterfell scenes are
incredible
and a fantastic way to allow for some of the characters' arcs to actually go somewhere.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow

Return to “General Discussion”