Game of Thrones

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3275 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2015 6:51 am

Post by Rhinox »

Honestly this season just feels like D&D hated aFfC/aDwD and are just trying to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible without worrying about what happens in between. We're getting 2 books worth of plot in 10 episodes. They'll be at least 20 episodes for the final 2 books and while D&D are on record saying the only want the series to last 7 seasons, HBO execs are also on record claiming they want GOT to last 10 seasons. I don't know how they get to 10 but the point is that this season is all about setting up and getting to a point to start the end game. I just hope GRRM gets The Winds of Winter out before season 6 like he hopes >.>
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #3276 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2015 7:22 am

Post by Brandi »

That look Sansa gave when Walda and Roose made their announcement at the dinner table was golden.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3277 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2015 7:31 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Didn't GRRM already say TWOW won't come out this year? So, I guess you can hope he gets it out in the first 3 months of 2016.
green shirt thursdays
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3278 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2015 7:44 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 3277, xRECKONERx wrote:Didn't GRRM already say TWOW won't come out this year? So, I guess you can hope he gets it out in the first 3 months of 2016.

I did hear no TWOW in 2015 but I also heard GRRM hopes to have it done by/around season 6 of GOT.

http://winteriscoming.net/2015/04/03/ge ... -season-6/

But, "I'll believe it when I see it" is probably the best grain of salt to take that with.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #3279 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2015 7:45 am

Post by PJ. »

so no Aegon?
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3280 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2015 7:58 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Nope, looks like Gryff+JonCon+Quentyn+Victarion+literally anybody else that should be in Essos are just getting wrapped into Jorah's arc
green shirt thursdays
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #3281 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2015 8:04 am

Post by Faraday »

:] missandei and greyworm 4ever

(winterfell + the wall scenes were really good)
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3282 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2015 8:05 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

i fucking hate every scene with missandei & greyworm
green shirt thursdays
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #3283 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2015 8:07 am

Post by PJ. »

I quit. Also, hopefully that's not a book spoiler giving away that he doesn't win. Because I'd be upset.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3284 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2015 8:17 am

Post by Iecerint »

In post 3280, xRECKONERx wrote:Nope, looks like Gryff+JonCon+Quentyn+Victarion+literally anybody else that should be in Essos are just getting wrapped into Jorah's arc

I could see them do Iron Islands stuff next season if they can consolidate enough POVs this season. For example, it looks like Tyrion+Dany and Stannis+Sansa+Jon+Brienne+Boltons have the potential to be consolidated nicely, which could free up space for introducing them. There's a plot-hole right now with Stannis using red magic to kill Balon way back in Season 3, which admittedly is long enough ago to drop if they want, but I think they can make space if they want to. The only issue would be getting Victarion where he needs to be quickly enough.

Bran will come back, though, so that's also something. Though I could see him showing up at a pivotal moment to save the day rather than being a POV from the get-go.
Venmar
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3285 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2015 8:19 am

Post by Venmar »

In post 3274, hasdgfas wrote:The show is not "A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin", the show is "Game of Thrones by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, based off of A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin". At this point, I've accepted that they're different canons and not the same story anymore.

I've accepted that by now as well, but at this point I am worried objectively I think. I don't like the changes made as a book reader, and as a normal show watcher, the story has gotten boring by this point. A lot of the glamour that was the Starks, Joffrey, Tywin, and company are gone, and we're left with a broken dornish plot, a clumped bunch of characters at Winterfell, and Jaime. I will keep watching because I still love the show and story, but I think it's going a bit downhill.
I swear I'm trying my best

--Expect me to be V/LA from 10am-7pm PST every Mon, Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun due to work--
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3286 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2015 8:24 am

Post by Iecerint »

The current Winterfell plot is definitely the best part.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3287 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2015 8:24 am

Post by Iecerint »

It feels like that part of Baldur's Gate where you go back to Candlekeep.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3288 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2015 8:25 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 3284, Iecerint wrote:There's a plot-hole right now with Stannis using red magic to kill Balon way back in Season 3, which admittedly is long enough ago to drop if they want, but I think they can make space if they want to.

Speculation: I'm pretty sure in the books it is hinted that Balon is actually killed by
a faceless man.
Can you think of any reason why they would wait to show that until after season 5? ;-)
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3289 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2015 8:33 am

Post by Iecerint »

In post 3288, Rhinox wrote:
In post 3284, Iecerint wrote:There's a plot-hole right now with Stannis using red magic to kill Balon way back in Season 3, which admittedly is long enough ago to drop if they want, but I think they can make space if they want to.

Speculation: I'm pretty sure in the books it is hinted that Balon is actually killed by
a faceless man.
Can you think of any reason why they would wait to show that until after season 5? ;-)

Speculation: I had heard that the books imply he was killed by
Euron
, but I just know wiki book stuff. I guess the two hints aren't incompatible really.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3290 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2015 8:37 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 3285, Venmar wrote:
In post 3274, hasdgfas wrote:The show is not "A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin", the show is "Game of Thrones by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, based off of A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin". At this point, I've accepted that they're different canons and not the same story anymore.

I've accepted that by now as well, but at this point I am worried objectively I think. I don't like the changes made as a book reader, and as a normal show watcher, the story has gotten boring by this point. A lot of the glamour that was the Starks, Joffrey, Tywin, and company are gone, and we're left with a broken dornish plot, a clumped bunch of characters at Winterfell, and Jaime. I will keep watching because I still love the show and story, but I think it's going a bit downhill.

I remember having this reaction after The Red Wedding. "Ughhh, nobody is left to root for, I don't care about any of the remaining characters!"

To an extent, that's still true. I was thinking in the shower today, "Would I freak the hell out about most of the remaining characters dying?" and the answer was objectively "no". I sort of glazed over Selmy's thing last week. I don't think the show has the balls to pull off anything as big as the Red Wedding. Who is left to care about? I mean, I care about Tyrion's journey... and Sansa. That's about it. I guess Arya becoming a badass little assassin is cool, but unfortunately it runs into the issue of being completely unrelated to anything else happening in the show.

That's always been my problem with Essos stuff, actually. I get how, in theory, it could be related. But every time the books went to Essos I had to struggle through it, because I just don't CARE about the intercity politics of the free cities, or Dany's anti-slavery mission, or Arya leaving Westeros, or any of that. Tyrion being transplanted to Essos makes it more tolerable, simply because he was such a key figure in Westerosi politics... but overall, most of the Essos stuff feels like a separate book/series of books. It's also why I was never particularly invested in the Ironborn or Dornish plotlines, because they're sort of straddling the line between relevant and not relevant.
green shirt thursdays
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #3291 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2015 10:00 am

Post by Brandi »

In post 3281, Faraday wrote::] missandei and greyworm 4ever

(winterfell + the wall scenes were really good)

Fuck yes

also Missandei is so beautiful maybe even the MOST beautiful idk but I love everything about her
esuriospiritus
esuriospiritus
they/ask
I Reject Your Corporeality...
esuriospiritus
they/ask
Pronoun: they/ask

Post Post #3292 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2015 10:13 am

Post by esuriospiritus »

Missandei is one of those characters where I want to acknowledge the fact that her actress is insanely pretty but can't stop being bothered by the fact that her book counterpart is like 10.

Margaery, on the other hand... Natalie Dormer is so darn beautiful. I would totally watch a Tyrell spinoff for more Margaery beauty and more Olenna wit.

(Olenna was in the preview btw. HYPE HYPE HYPE)
First you get your wings back. Then you learn to fly.

Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #3293 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2015 10:23 am

Post by Brandi »

Yeah Margaery is gorgeous too. Pretty much all of the main women look vastly different but lovely in their own way. Cersei's looks are as killer as her personality.

I also really like Gilly, but I'm pretty biased because I knew her as Cassie from skins. When I first saw her I got super excited because she was my favorite character from that show. Also Robert's bastard son is also from skins. heh.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3294 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2015 10:54 am

Post by quadz08 »

As a book-reader I really like the fact that the show is basically a different story at this point, and am frankly going to be a bit disappointed if they don't both come to totally different conclusions
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Venmar
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3295 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2015 12:08 pm

Post by Venmar »

In post 3290, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 3285, Venmar wrote:

I remember having this reaction after The Red Wedding. "Ughhh, nobody is left to root for, I don't care about any of the remaining characters!"

To an extent, that's still true. I was thinking in the shower today, "Would I freak the hell out about most of the remaining characters dying?" and the answer was objectively "no". I sort of glazed over Selmy's thing last week. I don't think the show has the balls to pull off anything as big as the Red Wedding. Who is left to care about? I mean, I care about Tyrion's journey... and Sansa. That's about it. I guess Arya becoming a badass little assassin is cool, but unfortunately it runs into the issue of being completely unrelated to anything else happening in the show.

That's always been my problem with Essos stuff, actually. I get how, in theory, it could be related. But every time the books went to Essos I had to struggle through it, because I just don't CARE about the intercity politics of the free cities, or Dany's anti-slavery mission, or Arya leaving Westeros, or any of that. Tyrion being transplanted to Essos makes it more tolerable, simply because he was such a key figure in Westerosi politics... but overall, most of the Essos stuff feels like a separate book/series of books. It's also why I was never particularly invested in the Ironborn or Dornish plotlines, because they're sort of straddling the line between relevant and not relevant.

Oh I didn't mean to make it sound like I have no characters left to root for. I am firm supporter of Jaime, Stannis, and Jon, my favourite characters still around in the show. The deaths of the Starks, Tywin, Oberyn, etc, weren't supposed to make it look like I lost interest, if that was the case, i'd have stopped reading after ASOS, which I didn't.

As far as the books go, I kind of stopped enjoying Arya's chapters after she went to Bravos. Martin spent 4 books building up Arya's character as Arya Stark, and then crushed it in front of your eyes and basically threw out her previous character to make her a faceless man. I mean she is still a good character, but the reasons I liked her are no longer part of her character and its strange. Same thing with Danny, I love her chapters but I just kind of wished she'd kill all of the Meerenese, stop being so nice, and just cut her way to Westeros. The petty politics of butt-hurt slavers got old really fast.

I still like the show, I dont mean to sound like I don't, I just think the direction they are taking a lot of the characters, largely
Selmy's death, Jorah getting greyscale, Jaime and Bronn going to Dorne (which I cant see ending well), etc
seem unnecessary.
I swear I'm trying my best

--Expect me to be V/LA from 10am-7pm PST every Mon, Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun due to work--
SnowStorm
SnowStorm
Mafia Scum
SnowStorm
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3296 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2015 4:54 am

Post by SnowStorm »

In post 3275, Rhinox wrote:Honestly this season just feels like D&D hated aFfC/aDwD and are just trying to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible without worrying about what happens in between. We're getting 2 books worth of plot in 10 episodes. They'll be at least 20 episodes for the final 2 books and while D&D are on record saying the only want the series to last 7 seasons, HBO execs are also on record claiming they want GOT to last 10 seasons. I don't know how they get to 10 but the point is that this season is all about setting up and getting to a point to start the end game. I just hope GRRM gets The Winds of Winter out before season 6 like he hopes >.>

I don't know why they're rushing the books like this when they could easily get those extra seasons. I'm starting to think they really want the show to end before the books, which is something I think they should be avoiding.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3297 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2015 6:17 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 3296, SnowStorm wrote:
In post 3275, Rhinox wrote:Honestly this season just feels like D&D hated aFfC/aDwD and are just trying to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible without worrying about what happens in between. We're getting 2 books worth of plot in 10 episodes. They'll be at least 20 episodes for the final 2 books and while D&D are on record saying the only want the series to last 7 seasons, HBO execs are also on record claiming they want GOT to last 10 seasons. I don't know how they get to 10 but the point is that this season is all about setting up and getting to a point to start the end game. I just hope GRRM gets The Winds of Winter out before season 6 like he hopes >.>

I don't know why they're rushing the books like this when they could easily get those extra seasons. I'm starting to think they really want the show to end before the books, which is something I think they should be avoiding.

There's only so long they can stretch it out before getting cancelled.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3298 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2015 6:37 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

They should just move to the Sherlock episode schedule.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #3299 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2015 7:11 am

Post by AniX »

In post 3294, quadz08 wrote:As a book-reader I really like the fact that the show is basically a different story at this point, and am frankly going to be a bit disappointed if they don't both come to totally different conclusions

Yes, at this point my only hope is that the books are going in an entirely different direction, because otherwise I'll go crazy reading spoilers into every big ticket thing suddenly cut from the show plot.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN

Return to “General Discussion”