NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
LalitaLalita

Post Post #1000 (ISO) » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:43 pm

Post by NabakovNabakov »

Done 2 hours ahead of schedule.

This mentality of "My vote doesn't mean anything unless it's on one of the current leaders" really unnerves me. It's like every player has essentially agreed to just join bandwagons. It's stifiling conversation and completely ruining any chances for pressure of players who haven't really been pressured yet.

On Adel: She's being hypocritical, she's being bitchy, she's being random, but I don't think she's being scummy. Essentially, she's playing an extremely insular game. Despite the one set of speculations she made (and was promptly shouted down over), she really does seem to be adhereing to her "no discussion of relationships" edict, and it's cramping her play. She's entirely restricted to examining the way in which other players interact with her, and I think that's why she keeps obviously baiting. I hope Ether's observations about lovers might actually get her posting useful content again.

On Darko: Ego trippin'. I don't care how many reactions you elicit by posting crap, not posting crap is far more helpful to the town. Now he just seems to have devolved into the epitome of the LAL target. Right now, he seems to be the voting beacon for the lazy and the non-committal, just a nice easy target.

On Erg0: Mainly lurking in plain sight and regurgitated content. Could be overwhelmed by/bored with the thread. Could not.

On Ether: Replacement of a AWOL player. Good coupla posts. Got me thinking on Xdaamno

On The Fonz: Replacing another AWOL. Solid analysis. Don't see any reason to suspect him, but he did seem to be playing the safe angles.

On Guardian: I certainly won't say that he's been playing a perfect game since Page 10 or so, but I haven't picked up any serious tells since the oft-mentioned fiasco. He participates openly and pursues many different angles. He's even trying to break this whole "only vote wagons" convention by voting SSF. Personally, I see the people who continue to bring up the stale case on him as fairly scummy, especially when they're using it as an after the fact justification for votes placed for more minor offenses. (Looking mainly at Adel, Sir T, and SSF there).

On Jalyn: Good luck reading.

On Jordan: Joining the consensus by saying he's been fairly scummy this entire game. His vote on the Darko wagon (along with Flea's) was probably the scummiest. I'm not sure if his removing it when questioned was scummy or not. I haven't really seen him take any positions that would get him in trouble. Darko is scummy, Guardian is scummy, Ryan is scummy for defending Guardian, Sarcastro is scummy for being certain (not popular, but not dangerous either), Darko is still scummy. He reads like a chronicle of the most popular trends that have come through the game. I hate to say it, but a certain bit of gut enters into this too.
FOS:

On Numenorean: It really seems like he's sniping. I haven't seen many posts of much substance from him. Early on, it was a bunch of player lists with minimal content, and now he just seems to be sitting around nit-picking for contradictions or hypocrisy rather than playing the game on a larger scale. I know he's capable of more.

On Pickem: Also sniping (or "beating shit"). Definitely "terse" moreso than "careful" (despite the fact that he apparently doesn't think careful=scummy despite the fact that he voted Adel for being careful in saying that careful=scummy (but refuses to admit that the vote wasn't purely on charges of hipocrisy)) describes his playstyle. Probably more useful for the reactions he elicits rather than the points he raises.

On Ryan: He was probably caught in the "defend the doomed townie" gambit in his interactions with Guardian and has been trying to recover ever since. I can see where Sir T was coming from when he meta-gamed him as an "aggressive" player, because many of his posts seem unpolished (and scummy as a result). Copy-pasting to attempt to "expose" Jordan was just asinine, but not exactly scum hunting for a lynch (might even be more scum-distancing, posting there-but-not-here is an easy accusation to make, but it doesn't hold much weight). Has seemed too defensive on the whole with very little mea culpa (more on that later).
FOS

On Sacred: Good but sparse analysis. Pretty pro-town (despite having Nekka-Lucifer's old avatar). Would like to see more on the whole. She only seems to hop in for a page or two out of every 5. To answer a long backlogged question: At the time, I didn't find any particular reason for you to be firmly pro-town, but I also didn't see you as scummy at all. Not that that has anything to do with how valid I thought Guardian's case was.

On Sarcastro: I think we've probably heard everything we're going to get out of him D1, and while I find his playstyle unorthodox and infuriatingly lazy, there's not much I can do about that.

On Sir Tornado: He has a reassuring tendancy to work through every situation logically, but I think he sometimes fiddles with the logic to come to a conclusion he likes. I remember him saying that he is very careful with his vote (I think in another game), and his post voting Guardian to "prevent a no-lynch" struck me as very odd. Now that we have clarified deadline rules and procured an extension, would you like to re-evaluate your vote?

On SomeStrangeFlea: I have not liked him through this entire game at all. At first I thought it was just because he posted noise naturally, but I see him generally as wagoning and toadying. Moreso than any other player, I see him either reciting the most popular opinion at the time or not saying anything at all (whilst typing a lot). He has been especially antagonistic to players under pressure, but allows others to make the actual cases for him, and it's incredibly scummy that he spouts the "It's a good lynch even if he comes up town" line.
Vote:SomeStrangeFlea

On Xdaamno: I really haven't like his play so far. I've already commented on that one list he made, and I think most people agree. Since then, he really hasn't said anything. I get the feeling that most of us are actually playing the game but Xdaamno is in the peanut gallery occasionally throwing out a comment or two. Lurking in plain sight, possibly with malicious intent. I considered voting for him, just to prove that I don't have to vote a wagon, but Ether has a point when she says he's too isolated to provide good info.
FOS

On YoghurtBandit: Read the thread past Page 10. Don't think you can get away with putting up a stale case on Darko and say you're still playing the game.

On Zindaras: Mostly MIA for the part of the thread I read. Personally, I think the discussion on whether or not she is a town leader is kind of moot. If she makes good cases, those cases have every right to lead the town. If somebody else makes good cases, that case should lead the town. Just because Zindy made a few good cases doesn't instantly make her mayor. Anybody who endorses that idea is just hiding behind it. To adress the mea culpa issue, admitting to a mistake isn't supposed to get people off the hook, I never expected anybody to say "Wow, NabNab really defended himself well in 333, he's off my scumlist for good." Improving your behavior and benefitting the town should get people off the hook. I just find that it's better for a person to admit to past wrongs before they go around trying to do right.

On the Game as it is Now: We have some breathing room on the deadline now, and I think that is a very good thing. We will have some more time to attempt to form a consensus, and people should be more free in voting who they see as scummy, not just who they think is most likely to get lynched (and that kind of behavior will no longer have to be tolerated). I would really like to see SSF or other people I FOS'd pressured past 3 or 4 votes, because that is not real pressure. Despite the fact that it's going to end up being controversial, I'm going to say that this game needs more bandwagon. We will never get anywhere if we refuse to vote people past L-7.

There are my opinions. Discuss!

Mod edit
Votecount:
Adel (2): ryan, pickemgenius
Darko (2): YoghurtBandit, JordanA24
Guardian (3): Adel, somestrangeflea, Sir Tornado
Sarcastro (1): Xdaamno
JordanA24 (3): Sarcastro, Erg0, Ether
ryan (2): The Fonz, Numenorean7
somestrangeflea (2): Guardian, NabakovNabakov

Not voting (4): darko, Zindaras, Sacred, Jalyn

With 19 alive, it's 10 to lynch. At deadline, the one with the most votes is lynched.
Show
"Shut up!" one woman shouted at another.

"You shut up!" the second woman shouted back.

"I agree with NN"
-Yosarian2
NabakovNabakov
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
LalitaLalita

Post Post #1001 (ISO) » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:44 pm

Post by NabakovNabakov »

^^Post 1000!
Show

"I agree with NN"
-Yosarian2
ryan
ryan
Mafia Scum
ryan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1002 (ISO) » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:53 pm

Post by ryan »

NabakovNabakov: Question on Sarcastro. I do not disagree that his play style is.......well........ uniquem but when you talk about pressure voting why shouldn't he be somebody we pressure vote to talk? You seem like you are giving him a free pass to Day 2 without much of a discussion.
[i]Please remove your head from your ass before you vote.[/i]
NabakovNabakov
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
LalitaLalita

Post Post #1003 (ISO) » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:10 pm

Post by NabakovNabakov »

^^

1) He doesn't strike me as scummy. Go back and read his tracts on the townie qualities of certainty and realize that I was the one who tried hardest to find loopholes in his position.

2) I think we already know how he would respond to pressure. He had a bit of a ghost wagon on him previously.

3) The purpose of pressure isn't to make quiet players talk, it's to make scummy players sweat.
Show

"I agree with NN"
-Yosarian2
Numenorean7
Numenorean7
Goon
Numenorean7
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1004 (ISO) » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:48 pm

Post by Numenorean7 »

NabNab wrote:On Numenorean: It really seems like he's sniping. I haven't seen many posts of much substance from him. Early on, it was a bunch of player lists with minimal content, and now he just seems to be sitting around nit-picking for contradictions or hypocrisy rather than playing the game on a larger scale. I know he's capable of more.
Sniping? What do you mean?
Political Correctness offends me.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #1005 (ISO) » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:41 pm

Post by Adel »

unvote: Guardian vote:SomeStrangeFlea

My second pick is now ryan. I could vote for either of them. I'm putting a lot of trust into NabNab in this game, but now he seems really townie to me in this game to me. His explanation for what is going on makes more sense to me than what I was looking at.

And I wasn't very happy with my vote on Guardian.

I know I'm supposed to lookup new evidence or present a new case, but I don't have one, and I don't really have one against Guardian either, so i figure it balances out.
Zindaras
Zindaras
Mr(s) Popularity
Zindaras
Mr(s) Popularity
Mr(s) Popularity

Post Post #1006 (ISO) » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:59 pm

Post by Zindaras »

Ether wrote:
Zindaras wrote:Do you really think it's a good idea to vote based on only half a thread?
Absolutely. It baffles me that you'd even ask this.
Well, if that's your opinion, I beg to differ. I don't like voting before having all the info.
NabakovNabakov wrote:On Zindaras: Mostly MIA for the part of the thread I read. Personally, I think the discussion on whether or not she is a town leader is kind of moot. If she makes good cases, those cases have every right to lead the town. If somebody else makes good cases, that case should lead the town. Just because Zindy made a few good cases doesn't instantly make her mayor. Anybody who endorses that idea is just hiding behind it. To adress the mea culpa issue, admitting to a mistake isn't supposed to get people off the hook, I never expected anybody to say "Wow, NabNab really defended himself well in 333, he's off my scumlist for good." Improving your behavior and benefitting the town should get people off the hook. I just find that it's better for a person to admit to past wrongs before they go around trying to do right.
As far as the mea culpa thing goes, that is what I've been doing, see my change in opinion on Guardian. Also, the leader thing is 100% correct.
Show
Finished: 159 (120 Town, 33 Mafia, 5 Other, 1 Cult, 4 Cultivated)
68 Wins, 71 Losses
Town: 52 Wins, 54 Losses (2 Wins as Cult)
Mafia: 13 Wins, 15 Losses (1 Win as Cult)
Other: 3 Wins, 1 Loss (1 Win as Cult)
Cult: 0 Wins, 1 Loss
Cultivated: 4 Wins, 0 Losses
59 Survived, 31 Lynched, 60 Killed
somestrangeflea
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1007 (ISO) » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:22 pm

Post by somestrangeflea »

Ether wrote:There was an effort to tell him how the game works, to ask him to get his act together (and to foreshadow support for his bandwagon). This question is nitpicking.
Oh, OK. Thanks.
NabNab wrote:but I see him generally as wagoning and toadying
Wagoning, I can get. Toadying makes absolutely no sense to me
as a word
. Explain please.
NabNab wrote:but allows others to make the actual cases for him
I have no defence for this because it's true.
NabNab wrote:incredibly scummy that he spouts the "It's a good lynch even if he comes up town" line.
Apart from Sarcastro, who I've changed my mind about, I haven't actually said this
about
anyone.

Adel didn't put any reasoning for her vote in her post, so I'm not sure what that's about.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1008 (ISO) » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:46 pm

Post by The Fonz »

Seriously, SSF, you don't know what Toadying is?
somestrangeflea
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1009 (ISO) » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:48 pm

The Fonz wrote:Seriously, SSF, you don't know what Toadying is?
If I were to guess, I'd say it was similar to lurking, but...
somestrangeflea
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1010 (ISO) » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:52 pm

EDWOP: Oh...
Guardian
Guardian
Mafia Scum
Guardian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1011 (ISO) » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:52 pm

Post by Guardian »

I don't know what it is either :oops:.

I agree with much of what Nab said. I disagree about one small thing though. I have played a perfect game since page 10. Bow down and kiss the ring, fools. :lol:. In seriousness, again, I like how his scum list mirrors mine, and most of all I like his reasons for most of the players.

I agree that YB needs to, you know, read the game....

Adel... it is nice to see your vote on someone I find suspicious, and ryan as your second choice... Eh, I am getting the same read as NabNab right now, but your following is quite blatant...
Do not lynch me.
[wiki]Great Nibbler Takeover of 2008[/wiki]
JordanA24
JordanA24
Mafia Scum
JordanA24
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1012 (ISO) » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:54 pm

Post by JordanA24 »

Ether, you hardly mention me in your analysis, and yet you feel confident enough to vote me. Seems like your simply trying to sneak a vote on an easy target.
Please delete my comment from your sig...such an awful joke- Battle Mage

Politics Mafia currently requires 1 replacement, please PM me if interested.
somestrangeflea
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1013 (ISO) » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:54 pm

Guardian wrote:
I don't know what it is either :oops:.
Sycophant, kiss-ass, etc...
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1014 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:05 am

Post by The Fonz »

JordanA24 wrote:Ether, you hardly mention me in your analysis, and yet you feel confident enough to vote me. Seems like your simply trying to sneak a vote on an easy target.
The man has a point. This requires an explanation.
Guardian
Guardian
Mafia Scum
Guardian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1015 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:08 am

Post by Guardian »

The Fonz wrote:
JordanA24 wrote:Ether, you hardly mention me in your analysis, and yet you feel confident enough to vote me. Seems like your simply trying to sneak a vote on an easy target.
The man has a point. This requires an explanation.
I wasn't so accusatory, but I asked Ether a very similar question and she brushed it aside :?. Ether, would you like to address this again?
Do not lynch me.
[wiki]Great Nibbler Takeover of 2008[/wiki]
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #1016 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:52 am

Post by Ether »

unvote; vote: somestrangeflea
: new biggest bandwagon, untied. We're at four now!
Jordan wrote:Ether, you hardly mention me in your analysis, and yet you feel confident enough to vote me. Seems like your simply trying to sneak a vote on an easy target.
Dude, I didn't mention anyone in more than one paragraph. If I think I'm singling you out, you're just being silly.

I have a detail I mentioned, and I have a scumteam in my head that includes Jordan. I also just don't like Jordan, and I am a bandwagony person when I do not feel sheeplike and ashamed of that. If the votes turned on him again, I would move back to Jordan. Them's the breaks.

I would still like to know Jordan's opinion of Xdaamno. I have asked this question already.

I like most of Nabakov's post and the sentiments behind it; however, I think he could have stirred something up around Xdaamno fairly easily if that was his highest priority.
JordanA24
JordanA24
Mafia Scum
JordanA24
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1017 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:21 am

Post by JordanA24 »

Ether wrote:
unvote; vote: somestrangeflea
: new biggest bandwagon, untied. We're at four now!
So now you're just bandwagon hopping. I don't care if you admit you like bandwagon hopping, it's as scummy as hell.
Ether wrote:Dude, I didn't mention anyone in more than one paragraph. If I think I'm singling you out, you're just being silly.
How the heck is that silly, you voted me for Christ's sake, how's that not singling out?

ryan
ryan
Mafia Scum
ryan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1018 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:27 am

Post by ryan »

Adel wrote:
unvote: Guardian vote:SomeStrangeFlea

My second pick is now ryan. I could vote for either of them.
I'm putting a lot of trust into NabNab in this game, but now he seems really townie to me in this game to me.
His explanation for what is going on makes more sense to me than what I was looking at.

And I wasn't very happy with my vote on Guardian.

I know I'm supposed to lookup new evidence or present a new case, but I don't have one, and I don't really have one against Guardian either, so i figure it balances out.
So we could easily see this vote as following correct? As cautious as you usually play I'm very interested in how you let a new person replace in and went right with him on your vote selection.
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #1019 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:51 am

Post by Ether »

Jordan wrote:So now you're just bandwagon hopping. I don't care if you admit you like bandwagon hopping, it's as scummy as hell.
I think you're both scum. I would like to cause the lynch of someone who I think is scum. This isn't too hard to understand: you can consider my oscillation to be a simulation of the multivote that I don't have, if you want.
Jordan wrote:How the heck is that silly, you voted me for Christ's sake, how's that not singling out?
I admit I had to type this one out to facilitate my understanding. I attacked you. I attacked some other people. Your lynch was the most realistic of those, especially at the old deadline, so I voted you. I am under the impression that you find this to be a problem, but...I don't.
Post 1016, Ether, referring to [url=https://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?p=692601#692601]Post 998[/url] wrote:I would still like to know Jordan's opinion of Xdaamno. I have asked this question already.
While we're at it, I'd like your opinion of the Fleawagon.
ryan
ryan
Mafia Scum
ryan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1020 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:52 am

Post by ryan »

EDIT: went right with HER on your vote selection (sorry Ether, my bad)
Sir Tornado
Sir Tornado
Mafia Scum
Sir Tornado
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1021 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:55 am

Post by Sir Tornado »

NabNab wrote: On Sir Tornado: He has a reassuring tendancy to work through every situation logically, but I think he sometimes fiddles with the logic to come to a conclusion he likes.
You can't "fiddle" with logic and still work through the situation logically. If you fiddle with it, then it becomes illogical.
NabNab wrote:I remember him saying that he is very careful with his vote (I think in another game), and his post voting Guardian to "prevent a no-lynch" struck me as very odd.
That was in Mini 471. And, if you look carefully, I have been extremely careful with my votes. I had not been voting anyone before the Guardian vote. In fact, the last time I had a vote on anyone was Darko, and that was on page 4. Personally, I do not like no-lynches.

A town achieves a lot by lynches, even mis lynches in early stages of big games. Once we do lynch someone, their alignment becomes known, and then you can analyze the player's relationships with other people in the game. So, I always prefer to lynch the person I am most suspicious about. This approach differs from that in Minis and C9s where the margin for error is considerably less, and where I like to be much more certain before lynching someone.
NabNab wrote: Now that we have clarified deadline rules and procured an extension, would you like to re-evaluate your vote?
Certainly. I will
Unvote
now, and probably vote ryan near the deadline. I feel he is more scummy than SSF.

Also, I am concerned that SSF did not actually respond to his accusation here. Instead, he made 2 or 3 posts which actually did not contain anything.

Why is that?
I'm back!
somestrangeflea
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1022 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:08 am

Bandwagoning & "Following Popular Opinion": I'm not going to attempt to make out that I don't do this, because that would be total rubbish. I don't make many cases in large games, because in all honesty, I'm not very good at it. Instead, I look at others' cases and decide which I agree with, and which I don't. I bandwagon because, put simply, it's probably the best case, and I do have a tendency to wagon anyways. I hate wrapping the majority of the case against me under the blanket phrase "playstyle", but it's true. Unfortunately, with no possible large game metagame on me, you're going to simply have to make your own mind up on whether or not to believe this.

Toadying: IMO, I don't think I've been toadying very much in this game. Can someone give me some examples of it?

Lynching Players instead of Roles: I've made it clear previously that I only ever use this as a backup if I have absolutely
no
reads on
anybody
, and, that in a game this size, that is very unlikely. I don't think that this is a particularly strong argument against me.

I developed a migraine during this post. Are you happy now!?
JordanA24
JordanA24
Mafia Scum
JordanA24
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1023 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:30 am

Post by JordanA24 »

Ether wrote:While we're at it, I'd like your opinion of the Fleawagon.
I'm OK with it, SSF is 3rd on my scumlist.

I should have an analysis on Xdaamno up by tomorrow.

Xdaamno
Xdaamno
I love you
Xdaamno
I love you
I love you

Post Post #1024 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:40 am

Post by Xdaamno »

I should have an analysis on Xdaamno up by tomorrow.

Yay, finally :P
"This should be an absolute car crash, but let's try it." - CDB
"did you get ces to look disgusted by their offer? i thought that might work" - Patrick
Cracking Idea Mafia

Return to “Completed Large Normal Games”